Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Donald Brown's Good Performance [Merge]

COLT in J-ville

Well when I guy is producing good numbers, you can't get mad at that. Unfortunately, one or two bad games by him and the hate/bust talk will come back up again. Forums are like stock markets, they're up and down, and the team they support crashes.

I agree, Brown looks alot better. I was a hater of his early in preseason. But, he has proven me wrong. I am glad to see it. I have said in the past that I wish he would just get more time to play. He came in behind Addia who was asked to do alot on thie offense back then. After that, every time the team looked like the running game wasnt working they kept bringing Rhodes back for some reason. Ok, but that hurt Browns progress I believe. He needed more time to develop since he came out as a Junior and wasnt a red shirt freshman. He might work out it seems now. Good for him. Infact, I went back to last years stats and was actually suprised. He only started 8 games. He had almost 500 yards rushing averaging 3.9 and over 200 yard recieving. Not bad for someone that really didnt get that much playing time.

People act like Brown was tearing it up and Caldwell was just holding him down. Brown had done nothing leading up to this season to live up to a first round pick.

He has done a great job this season when given time. I do think that our OC is not using him to the best of his abilities. The guy when he is in space is really good. I do not know why we do not do more screens and draws with him.

I no longer want to see him cut.

Well when I guy is producing good numbers, you can't get mad at that. Unfortunately, one or two bad games by him and the hate/bust talk will come back up again. Forums are like stock markets, they're up and down, and the team they support crashes.

The same can be said when he has the rare good game. Certain people will use that as justification that he was a good pick at #1. They will ignore all the bad games he has and the fact that he has been a healthy scratch and proclaim he is the next coming of Barry Sanders.

They will ignore all the bad games he has and the fact that he has been a healthy scratch and proclaim he is the next coming of Barry Sanders.

A little overdramatic I think, but okay. By the way, what "bad games?" All I've seen the guy do is produce and make the best out of nothing behind that putrid O-Line. And no one is saying he's the next Barry Sanders, but he is awfully young, declared for the draft after his sophomore year, so the learning curve was huge.

And who cares which round he was drafted in? He's producing better than Gonzalez, Jerry Hughes, and Anthony Castonzo (all first rounders) at this point, so it's safe to say he's been the best first round pick the Colts have had in a few years.

A little overdramatic I think, but okay. By the way, what "bad games?" All I've seen the guy do is produce and make the best out of nothing behind that putrid O-Line. And no one is saying he's the next Barry Sanders, but he is awfully young, declared for the draft after his sophomore year, so the learning curve was huge.

And who cares which round he was drafted in? He's producing better than Gonzalez, Jerry Hughes, and Anthony Castonzo (all first rounders) at this point, so it's safe to say he's been the best first round pick the Colts have had in a few years.

Sorry if you are such a Donald Brown fan you cant see facts. There have been a number of games over the past two seasons where Brown was ineffedtive. He has probably three games out of his entire career where he ran well. Even Addai and Carter run a lot better than Brown with the same putrid O line. In the NFL, if you are a 1st round pick YOU ARE expected to be more than a below average player and Brown fits the bill of a below average NFL player. He could have stayed the entire 4 years in college but that would not make him more talented. It isnt the learning curve or just the O line but a lack of talent that is keeping Brown from excelling. It is no coincidence that the Colts were the only team to not grade Brown as nothing more than a mid round at best draft seletion and he is constantly proving the pundits, experts and outsiders correct in that assessment.

People act like Brown was tearing it up and Caldwell was just holding him down. Brown had done nothing leading up to this season to live up to a first round pick.

He has done a great job this season when given time. I do think that our OC is not using him to the best of his abilities. The guy when he is in space is really good. I do not know why we do not do more screens and draws with him.

I no longer want to see him cut.

Caldwell was 'the man' keeping the Brown man down..... :angry:

Power to the people!!!

Attica!! Attica!!

The same can be said when he has the rare good game. Certain people will use that as justification that he was a good pick at #1. They will ignore all the bad games he has and the fact that he has been a healthy scratch and proclaim he is the next coming of Barry Sanders.

FBS..........You have got to get down with Brown...

He's never going to have big numbers in this offense.....

But think...he's signed for next year..he's not playing for a contact..

..and we're 0-11.....

..and he's still playing.

Isnt this the kind of player you want??? :unsure:

The OL never gave Brown a chance to show what he could do last year, except for the 2nd Jags game late in the season. As a passing-oriented offense, the backs are used to stretch the plays and pick up blitz. When they are asked to run, they need to find holes themselves and try to dance through them. These are what Addai have been better with.

BTW with the injury history of Addai it was another stupid move by the FO to resign him to a big contract. They have almost done nothing right this season when things are not going the way they are expected. Also based on their poor decision in recent years, drafting Brown high but not giving him enough opportunities is just another evidence of how bad they have been.

That fullback made Donald Brown functional not good though.

Guess you didn't see the games before we even signed that fullback....Last I checked when Donald Brown actually had holes to run through he gained a good amount of yards. It's like Delone Carter and Joe Addai, when given the holes all three are very good runs and can make the 2nd/3rd level players miss/get trucked.

Guess you didn't see the games before we even signed that fullback....Last I checked when Donald Brown actually had holes to run through he gained a good amount of yards. It's like Delone Carter and Joe Addai, when given the holes all three are very good runs and can make the 2nd/3rd level players miss/get trucked.

I'm sorry if I missed some of those 300 yards or 3 TDs he put up so far.

FBS..........You have got to get down with Brown...

He's never going to have big numbers in this offense.....

But think...he's signed for next year..he's not playing for a contact..

..and we're 0-11.....

..and he's still playing.

Isnt this the kind of player you want??? :unsure:

Old Unk,

Even with a decent to good O line and minimum NFL coaching (currently we have neither) Brown would be a one trick pony at best.

I say in Brown's case it should be Gone Baby Gone.

It's amazing how much actually showing up and playing well/ok will do to stop people saying you suck.

There is a back story we may not know on why Donald Brown was benched at the start of the year.

they put him behind a rookie... and just ashcanned him.

....He has responded...but maybe one day he'll say what his problem was because Mr. C never will..

Sorry if you are such a Donald Brown fan you cant see facts. There have been a number of games over the past two seasons where Brown was ineffedtive. He has probably three games out of his entire career where he ran well. Even Addai and Carter run a lot better than Brown with the same putrid O line. In the NFL, if you are a 1st round pick YOU ARE expected to be more than a below average player and Brown fits the bill of a below average NFL player. He could have stayed the entire 4 years in college but that would not make him more talented. It isnt the learning curve or just the O line but a lack of talent that is keeping Brown from excelling. It is no coincidence that the Colts were the only team to not grade Brown as nothing more than a mid round at best draft seletion and he is constantly proving the pundits, experts and outsiders correct in that assessment.

BINGO!! You took the words right out of my mouth. You gave him 3 games, I said 4.. Lol Im sure someone will say your'e just a hater. His baby daddy will be on this thread soon to save him. Lol

I'm sorry if I missed some of those 300 yards or 3 TDs he put up so far.

:spit:

BINGO!! You took the words right out of my mouth. You gave him 3 games, I said 4.. Lol Im sure someone will say your'e just a hater. His baby daddy will be on this thread soon to save him. Lol

:spit:

Addai led us in many great rushing seasons. Was it 31st / 32nd and 31st? Not sure. Brown's average is .1 yard less than Addai's. So far. This pro-Addai stuff is just a joke.

He has been playing well. With that said, I wouldn't mind seeing us trade him for a few picks. We already have Addai and Carter in the backfield and RBs are a dime a dozen, we can always pick up another guy to be 3rd on the depth chart through the draft (possibly a guy who's primary role is kick returning?)

is donald the starting running back now. he has been the only back consistently getting good numbers. Maybe if we werent losing every game maybe he could get more than 15 carries a game. I know nobody on this forum like him so hate on me if you want too but he has played better than any other back

you are wrong Arizona Cardinals were prepared to take him, but since we took him they took beanie wells.

Donald is a tailback that needs a fullback to follow he's a mismatch for the Colts system (yesterday with a FB making blocks he showed what he needs),

Yesterday was really the first game where we played with a fullback. He's had some good games before that.

Yeah this year he has, he seems also to work well behind a fullback. If the offensive line was completely solid and we utilized a fullback more with good blocking he has the speed to make some nice runs especially in the open field. Addai is still our guy though, & I would love to see Delone run behind a fullback also.

Donald is a tailback that needs a fullback to follow he's a mismatch for the Colts system (yesterday with a FB making blocks he showed what he needs),

Now that's two people who seem to have forgotten his previous performances this year without a fullback. He didn't need fullback (Though it helped), but he needed good blocking from his O-line. If you truly think he needs a fullback to succeed then you gotta be ignoring his previous performances.

If the line or the FB which we finally used can produced a small whole, then he has good acceleration and gets yards, This year the OL is doing that for the first time, Brown needs that crease, he cant do it on his own, J He catches fine, I just hope he learns to bl;ock better with the increased playing time

Now that's two people who seem to have forgotten his previous performances this year without a fullback. He didn't need fullback (Though it helped), but he needed good blocking from his O-line. If you truly think he needs a fullback to succeed then you gotta be ignoring his previous performances.

He did average about 1,5 yards per carry better with the FB than without Vs Carolina , but yes a good OL is all he needs

True..the Jacksonville game last year....124 yards and 2 TDs..

..and no fullback on the roster..that day

Now comes the question: have we ever given Hughes enough chance to show what he can do?

Here's the question..

Lets not go into next year wondering about Hughes...

I dont know what contract incentives they have but how about we just sit Mathis or Freeney a game

.and see if he can play...maybe at NE or Baltimore

Here's the question..

Lets not go into next year wondering about Hughes...

I dont know what contract incentives they have but how about we just sit Mathis or Freeney a game

.and see if he can play...maybe at NE or Baltimore

Hughes was a in alot Vs Carolina and kept missing, even announcers said it