Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2014 Colts 1/4 Review

danlhart87

MVP Luck

Surprise OL

Disappointment Nicks/Werner

(We should let Nicks walk after 2014)

Most positive aspect: 2-0 in South

How has a 1st year starter playing a position he's never played before until last year a disappointment?

How is a SB winning WR & veteran who barely gets any looks his way because a young QB who sometimes locks onto WR's he's familiar with a disappointment?

I disagree with you on Nicks.  I am not so much disappointed with him as its just he hasn't had a game where he was featured.  It seems each game a different WR or position group is featured given what D we face.  Yesterday it was TY and Reggie.  The Eagles it was Bradshaw.  Against the Jags it seemed to be the TEs.

Give Nicks time.  Its good that we have so many weapons that every WR doesn't have to have a 100 yard game to be a good game.  Nicks drew 2 penalties yesterday that helped the Colts score.  Thats a plus right there. 

I am pleasantly surprised with the OL as well.  Running game has been improved for the most part and they are pass protecting very very well.  Gotta keep it rolling.

Play calling seems to be getting better and more creative.  We finally ran around the edges against the Titans and it worked pretty well for the most part. 

Still need a pass rush on D.  If we don't improve anything else on D it has to be the Pass Rush.  We will be shredded by the Bengals, Patriots, Steelers and Cowboys if we cant put more pressure on the QB.

Wayne is playing lights out.  TY is still hot and cold.  Fleener is improving.  Allen is solid.  Doyle is solid for what he is asked to do.Moncrief needs to see the field more and in creative ways.

Bradshaw and T-Rich are a good tandem but I would like to see Boom as a change of pace back in the 4th QTR. 

Those are my few observations through 4 games.

Nicks; Hasn't been a dominant presence, but he doesn't need to be. He's done his job, and I imagine he'll have a few big games. Speaking for myself, I'm not disappointed in him. We saw in preseason that he can still dominate a game. 

MVP Luck; He's gonna have to knock off the bonehead INT's. He throws some really bad ones it seems every game, at least one. Against great teams, this will cause people to se him as part of the reason why we often have to climb back from multiple scores down. 

Werner; My opinion from the offseason hasn't changed. He's not a 1st round quality player. He's (at best) a 3rd down rusher, often getting rode away from the QB and harmlessly diving forth, not affecting the play. 

Bradshaw; Should be getting the bulk of the carries in every game. He should be listed as the starter. 

Richardson; Much better this year, looking promising, but he gets tackled by the leg all too often. Watching Bradshaw you see a RB that lifts his legs, chopping and never keeping them planted. That's why AB plows through tackles. TR, he plants his feet and doesn't move them enough, thus he gets tackled by his feet quite often. Great talent. Great potential. Needs coaching. 

He has less than 100 yards in 4 games.

#3 WR in a offense still trying to find themselves and a lot of weapons but have made progress the past 2 weeks

Believe me, he hasn't met my expectations but I guess that's more cause I thought we'd do the traditional type offense and have Nicks as our #2 with Hilton lining up in the slot most of the time. Just thought it made more sense to have your big WR's outside and little guy in the slot where there's more ooptions to open space.

But it's still early in the season and if the offense continues to play like they have the past 2 games..... I'll give Nicks a 500-550 yards 8 TD season IMO

Don't see any of our WR's reaching 1,000 given the options we have to spread the ball.

Nick's lack of production isn't his fault so much as it's him being the #3 WR.

Honestly I think we signed Nick's as insurance in case Reggie wasn't what he used to be.  

But Reggie is what he used to be.  And TY has improved as well.  Then you have the TE's eating into it.  Allen is back to form and Fleener is what he's always been.

We just have too many targets for him to produce big.  And the other problem is he's the new guy.  Luck's been throwing to Reggie and TY for his entire career now.  Where do you think he's gonna look when the pressure is coming or in crunch time??  He's gonna look towards the guys he's been throwing to for 2 years now.  And in Fleener's case, longer then that.

Fact is we have 3 WR's and 2 TE's that are average starters in the NFL or better.  Not to mention an up and coming rookie (Moncrief), Doyle who's been pretty reliable when called upon.  Bradshaw and T-Rich who are both weapons in the pass game.  (In fact T-Rich is rather underrated because people expected him to be this dominate rusher, which he hasn't been but the dude does make plays in the pass game.  He's turned quick dump offs into big gains more then once.)

Nick's lack of production isn't his fault so much as it's him being the #3 WR.

Honestly I think we signed Nick's as insurance in case Reggie wasn't what he used to be.

But Reggie is what he used to be. And TY has improved as well. Then you have the TE's eating into it. Allen is back to form and Fleener is what he's always been.

We just have too many targets for him to produce big. And the other problem is he's the new guy. Luck's been throwing to Reggie and TY for his entire career now. Where do you think he's gonna look when the pressure is coming or in crunch time?? He's gonna look towards the guys he's been throwing to for 2 years now. And in Fleener's case, longer then that.

Fact is we have 3 WR's and 2 TE's that are average starters in the NFL or better. Not to mention an up and coming rookie (Moncrief), Doyle who's been pretty reliable when called upon. Bradshaw and T-Rich who are both weapons in the pass game. (In fact T-Rich is rather underrated because people expected him to be this dominate rusher, which he hasn't been but the dude does make plays in the pass game. He's turned quick dump offs into big gains more then once.)

"Fleener is what he's always been"

Exactly, soft

Couldn't have said it any better myself :clap:

"Fleener is what he's always been"

Exactly, soft

Couldn't have said it any better myself :clap:

I was gonna say average, but whatever.  He does make the majority of the catches he's expected to make and has decent run after the catch.  So he's not terrible

But I havn't seen him flash a lot of upside.  I havn't seen him make a highlight reel play.  

Just nothing about him "stands out"

MVP Luck

Surprise OL

Disappointment Nicks/Werner

(We should let Nicks walk after 2014)

Most positive aspect: 2-0 in South

Nicks has TDs and he gets swapped out of the lineup for Moncrief sometimes. He isnt a bad receiver with all the options Luck has. Nicks is nowhere near as bad as Werner. Werner doesnt apply any pressure whatsoever, his run defense is decent but his pass rush is just terrible.

Nicks has TDs and he gets swapped out of the lineup for Moncrief sometimes. He isnt a bad receiver with all the options Luck has. Nicks is nowhere near as bad as Werner. Werner doesnt apply any pressure whatsoever, his run defense is decent but his pass rush is just terrible.

I personally wouldn't mind next year getting a pass rusher in the draft and moveing Werner to Walden's spot.

I was gonna say average, but whatever. He does make the majority of the catches he's expected to make and has decent run after the catch. So he's not terrible

But I havn't seen him flash a lot of upside. I havn't seen him make a highlight reel play.

Just nothing about him "stands out"

Oh no, not saying he's terrible at all. He's a solid option no question.

All I'm saying is his #1 flaw is he doesn't have a mean streak. Plays very "timid" if you will. If he plays more aggressive, Fleener could be a poor man's Jimmy Graham with the similar body type the 2 share

P.S.: In no way, shape, or form am I saying Fleener is better or on Jimmy's level. Merely saying he could be a lot better than what he is if he was aggressive and used his body the way Jimmy uses his

I disagree with you on Nicks.  I am not so much disappointed with him as its just he hasn't had a game where he was featured.  It seems each game a different WR or position group is featured given what D we face.  Yesterday it was TY and Reggie.  The Eagles it was Bradshaw.  Against the Jags it seemed to be the TEs.

Give Nicks time.  Its good that we have so many weapons that every WR doesn't have to have a 100 yard game to be a good game.  Nicks drew 2 penalties yesterday that helped the Colts score.  Thats a plus right there. 

I am pleasantly surprised with the OL as well.  Running game has been improved for the most part and they are pass protecting very very well.  Gotta keep it rolling.

Play calling seems to be getting better and more creative.  We finally ran around the edges against the Titans and it worked pretty well for the most part. 

Still need a pass rush on D.  If we don't improve anything else on D it has to be the Pass Rush.  We will be shredded by the Bengals, Patriots, Steelers and Cowboys if we cant put more pressure on the QB.

Wayne is playing lights out.  TY is still hot and cold.  Fleener is improving.  Allen is solid.  Doyle is solid for what he is asked to do.Moncrief needs to see the field more and in creative ways.

Bradshaw and T-Rich are a good tandem but I would like to see Boom as a change of pace back in the 4th QTR. 

we will be shredded by flacco if we can't get pass rush. remember 2012 playoffs.

#3 WR in a offense still trying to find themselves and a lot of weapons but have made progress the past 2 weeks

Believe me, he hasn't met my expectations but I guess that's more cause I thought we'd do the traditional type offense and have Nicks as our #2 with Hilton lining up in the slot most of the time. Just thought it made more sense to have your big WR's outside and little guy in the slot where there's more ooptions to open space.

But it's still early in the season and if the offense continues to play like they have the past 2 games..... I'll give Nicks a 500-550 yards 8 TD season IMO

Don't see any of our WR's reaching 1,000 given the options we have to spread the ball.

No matter where you line them up Nicks will be the third receiver.

Something that bothers me that people keep saying is Luck is locking on to his recievers.

He completed passes to nine different recievers yesterday. And against the jags I believe twelve.

I dont think he is really locking on to recievers to much he has looked really good scanning the field in the last two games.

Something that bothers me that people keep saying is Luck is locking on to his recievers.

He completed passes to nine different recievers yesterday. And against the jags I believe twelve.

I dont think he is really locking on to recievers to much he has looked really good scanning the field in the last two games.

You are most correct. It is just a few posters with no idea of what they are talking about that repeatedly spout this nonsense.

see boom doing good need more touchs , worry is no true pass rush .

I personally wouldn't mind next year getting a pass rusher in the draft and moveing Werner to Walden's spot.

Agreed. A pass rusher or a beast ILB would be a good first round draft pick.

Why?  Wayne is on pace for over 1200 yards and TY is on pace for over 1100.  Nicks is on pace for just under 400.

We should have a healthy Mathis next year -- plus we'll have Jonathan Newsome and McNary with more time under their belt -- we may have more pressing needs than a pass-rusher with our first round pick next year, although I don't think you can ever have too many stud passr ushers (safety might be more of a pressing issue?).

Our WR's/TE's/RB's are projected as follows:

Reggie -- 1228 yards, 4 TD

TY -- 1164 yards, 0 TD

Nicks -- 376 yards, 8 TD

Moncrief -- 376 yards, 0 TD

Allen -- 580 yards, 12 TD

Fleener -- 436 yards, 8 TD

Doyle -- 116 yards, 4 TD

Richardson -- 488 yards, 0 TD

Bradshaw -- 536 yards, 16 TD

Luck is projected for 5,220 yards passing plus 52 passing TDs right now.

Obviously this isn't going to be totally accurate, but as Coffeedrinker points out, we will probably (if healthy) have 2 WR's over 1,000 yards.  Getting over 1,000 yards plus over 20 TDs from our TE's and over 1,000 yards and around 20 receiving TDs from our RBs would be phenomenal.

What I really like about our offense right now is in our first 4 games Luck has thrown completions to 8 of the above mentioned, 8 of the above mentioned, all 9 of the above mentioned, and all 9 of the above mentioned respectively.

As this season progresses, teams will have to 'pick their poison' and I expect Wayne to stay pretty much consistent between ~70-110 yards/game whereas TY/Nicks/Moncrief might alternate with big weeks and Allen/Fleener will probably have some fluctuation in their numbers.

I'll agree that yes, he has looked really good scanning the field

...for the past two games. ;)

We should have a healthy Mathis next year -- plus we'll have Jonathan Newsome and McNary with more time under their belt -- we may have more pressing needs than a pass-rusher with our first round pick next year, although I don't think you can ever have too many stud passr ushers (safety might be more of a pressing issue?).

Our WR's/TE's/RB's are projected as follows:

Reggie -- 1228 yards, 4 TD

TY -- 1164 yards, 0 TD

Nicks -- 376 yards, 8 TD

Moncrief -- 376 yards, 0 TD

Allen -- 580 yards, 12 TD

Fleener -- 436 yards, 8 TD

Doyle -- 116 yards, 4 TD

Richardson -- 488 yards, 0 TD

Bradshaw -- 536 yards, 16 TD

Luck is projected for 5,220 yards passing plus 52 passing TDs right now.

Obviously this isn't going to be totally accurate, but as Coffeedrinker points out, we will probably (if healthy) have 2 WR's over 1,000 yards.  Getting over 1,000 yards plus over 20 TDs from our TE's and over 1,000 yards and around 20 receiving TDs from our RBs would be phenomenal.

What I really like about our offense right now is in our first 4 games Luck has thrown completions to 8 of the above mentioned, 8 of the above mentioned, all 9 of the above mentioned, and all 9 of the above mentioned respectively.

As this season progresses, teams will have to 'pick their poison' and I expect Wayne to stay pretty much consistent between ~70-110 yards/game whereas TY/Nicks/Moncrief might alternate with big weeks and Allen/Fleener will probably have some fluctuation in their numbers.

I don't think Luck's current pace is sustainable but I think he'll end up somewhere around 4800 yards and 40 to 45 TD's.  That should put him in the top 5 statistically.

Especially with the way Drew Brees, Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers are all surprisingly not tearing it up this year.  

I don't think Luck's current pace is sustainable but I think he'll end up somewhere around 4800 yards and 40 to 45 TD's.  That should put him in the top 5 statistically.

Especially with the way Drew Brees, Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers are all surprisingly not tearing it up this year.  

It will definitely be hard to sustain that, but we have had a very balanced attack -- it isn't like he's been airing it out and getting lucky with a few deep balls and been very hit or miss every week.  He has been pretty methodical, and as Moncrief and Nicks continue to grow into this season, I expect Luck to continue to be putting up yards.

It will definitely be hard to sustain that, but we have had a very balanced attack -- it isn't like he's been airing it out and getting lucky with a few deep balls and been very hit or miss every week.  He has been pretty methodical, and as Moncrief and Nicks continue to grow into this season, I expect Luck to continue to be putting up yards.

Only thing was against Philly his TD numbers where inflated.  He didn't throw for that many yards (I think less then 200) but ever time we got to the goal line we ran the same play throwing to Bradshaw in the flat.

John Gruden calls it Spider 2 Y Banana I believe.  

Only thing was against Philly his TD numbers where inflated.  He didn't throw for that many yards (I think less then 200) but ever time we got to the goal line we ran the same play throwing to Bradshaw in the flat.

John Gruden calls it Spider 2 Y Banana I believe.  

It seems like we've been running short passes to Bradshaw or the TE's when we get inside the 5, and so far, it is working so I hope that continues.  Yea, I think he threw for 172 yards vs. Philly, which makes it almost that much more impressive that he's still projected to reach 5,000 on the season.

It seems like we've been running short passes to Bradshaw or the TE's when we get inside the 5, and so far, it is working so I hope that continues.  Yea, I think he threw for 172 yards vs. Philly, which makes it almost that much more impressive that he's still projected to reach 5,000 on the season.

That's because when we try running it in short yardage situations we constantly get stuffed.  Although Trent did manage to get it in from the 1 on Sunday, most of the time we end up getting stuffed.  

That fact alone might inflate his TD numbers a bit.