Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

suh wants to leave detriot after the season

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if he would like the Colts enough from a marketing perspective to seriously consider signing here. I know he has some antics that people consider turnoffs but he's a phenomenal player and he brings that nastiness that great defenses have. Although, I have to wonder what the Lion's plan is; players like Ndamukong Suh are the exact reason why the franchise tag is in place

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11605592/ndamukong-suh-likely-bolt-detroit-lions-season

interesting because redding's contract is up. would we make a push

The teams I saw linked for him were the Giants (4-3 plus marketing),   the Cowboys (4-3 plus marketing)  and the Bears (4-3 plus marketing)

I think I see a theme there!!

Plus he'll want HUGE free agent money!

Suh would fit just fine in our scheme lol. Many of ya'll act like we play a strict 3-4 and line up a huge NT up there every down........We don't. He would fit right in at DT/DE and could even move in to NT when we wanted to get some more pass rush up the middle (Ricky Jean Francois did this on a 3rd and 4 situation at 14:56 of the 2nd Quarter).

The real question is can he stay away from the dumb penalties

Suh would fit just fine in our scheme lol. Many of ya'll act like we play a strict 3-4 and line up a huge NT up there every down........We don't. He would fit right in at DT/DE and could even move in to NT when we wanted to get some more pass rush up the middle (Ricky Jean Francois did this on a 3rd and 4 situation at 14:56 of the 2nd Quarter).

The real question is can he stay away from the dumb penalties

The Colts don't run a 1-gap 3-4 like Houston which allows guys like Watt to be a playmaker.

We run a 2-gap 3-4 which requires DL to take on as many blockers as possible so the LBers can make most of the plays.

You think Suh wants to play in THAT system?     Not a chance.....

The Colts don't run a 1-gap 3-4 like Houston which allows guys like Watt to be a playmaker.

We run a 2-gap 3-4 which requires DL to take on as many blockers as possible so the LBers can make most of the plays.

You think Suh wants to play in THAT system?     Not a chance.....

We run a multiple defense...Why do you think you see Cory Redding shedding blocks and putting pressure on the defense. Sure there first responsibility is the run...which Suh does well at....But they also will get after the QB.....The Colts base defense is a 3-4 but can be a 4-3 in an instant just by someone.... Werner (Or Mathis if he was healthy) or Walden putting there hand in the dirt. The Colts also will use a DT like Jones(When healthy) or Francois (Today at 14:56 of the 2nd Quarter) to try to shed there block and get after the QB from the Nose or DE spot http://bleacherreport.com/articles/810488-baltimore-ravens-new-defensive-coordinator-will-still-rely-on-a-hybrid-scheme

We run a multiple defense...Why do you think you see Cory Redding shedding blocks and putting pressure on the defense. Sure there first responsibility is the run...which Suh does well at....But they also will get after the QB.....The Colts base defense is a 3-4 but can be a 4-3 in an instant just by someone.... Werner (Or Mathis if he was healthy) or Walden putting there hand in the dirt. The Colts also will use a DT like Jones(When healthy) or Francois (Today at 14:56 of the 2nd Quarter) to try to shed there block and get after the QB from the Nose or DE spot http://bleacherreport.com/articles/810488-baltimore-ravens-new-defensive-coordinator-will-still-rely-on-a-hybrid-scheme

Let me see if I can't phrase this another way....

In our defense,  every player has responsibilities and assignments.   The room to freelance and be a playmaker is....   limited.

Guys on our team are "team" type of guys.     They're not me-me-me kind of guys.

Suh is a "me-me-me" type of guy.    Not a team guy.    And I don't see that changing.

I think he'd be a horrible fit in Indianapolis in every way one can think of.

Team.   Scheme.   Personality.    Culturally.     Marketing.      You name it -- he won't fit.

Suh to Indy is a pipe-dream.    An illusion.

There's a better chance that you and I will start for the Colts defense next year than Suh will......     And I don't know about you,  but my best days are way, Way, WAY behind me!   :omg:

Let me see if I can't phrase this another way....

In our defense,  every player has responsibilities and assignments.   The room to freelance and be a playmaker is....   limited.

Guys on our team are "team" type of guys.     They're not me-me-me kind of guys.

Suh is a "me-me-me" type of guy.    Not a team guy.    And I don't see that changing.

I think he'd be a horrible fit in Indianapolis in every way one can think of.

Team.   Scheme.   Personality.    Culturally.     Marketing.      You name it -- he won't fit.

Suh to Indy is a pipe-dream.    An illusion.

There's a better chance that you and I will start for the Colts defense next year than Suh will......     And I don't know about you,  but my best days are way, Way, WAY behind me!   :omg:

Ill go about this way:

Cory Redding in 2011(first year Pagano Raven D Coordinator) 4.5 sacks

Haloti Ngata-5 sacks

There is also plenty of proof from from the Titans game alone yesterday showing that Pagano does not just ask his D Linemen to eat up blocks.....Redding looping around for a sack almost seemingly decapitating Whitehurst....

Now as to will he be a locker room fit and play all nice and not be a me me me kind of guy....well that part I certainly agree with...From that stand point I don't think Suh is a fit...Though this regime has not shied away from taking on someone with questionable character...Or at least a player being a knucklehead on the field anyway...Not sure he has any incidents off field since becoming a pro but again I agree

Where we don't agree it seems is if he would be a fit, That's fine, No problem. Like I said...this defense does allow versatility....Actually it encourages it some.

Way too much money I wouldn't be surprised to see Denver fall deeper into the cap hole after they come up short again. Plus our D Line looks like it is coming along just fine. Kerr is going to be an animal I still can't believe he went undrafted. What a score.

If we dip into FA market I would expect it to be to get a S Adams is 33 and Landry is Landry maybe a rush backer depending on how things develop this year Mathis is 33 as well and coming off a pretty significant injury,

I would hope we don't really spend a lot on FA's this off season we have a full load of draft picks lots of young talent Grigs has got this ship going in the right direction. we are going to want to keep our guys

Too much money. Too much risk. Too many character concerns. Not a big need.

Pass.

His talent is undeniable but I'm looking at his penchant for 15 yard personal foul penalties and stupid stuff after the whistle and I'm not liking it.  

You just know in a big game the Colts would have a big 3rd down stop and Suh would stop on someones head or something like that and the flags would fly, he would be ejected and 15 yards and first down would give the opposing team another chance at a TD.

I'd say pass too.  He's a good player but I'm afraid he's also a guy that could cause problems both in the locker room and on the field.  

The teams I saw linked for him were the Giants (4-3 plus marketing),   the Cowboys (4-3 plus marketing)  and the Bears (4-3 plus marketing)

I think I see a theme there!!

Plus he'll want HUGE free agent money!

Marketing? It's the NFL, doesn't matter where you play.

Seriously?      You don't think there are far more marketing opportunities in places like New York, Dallas and Chicago?

No. If you're a good player on a good team it doesn't matter. You might pick up more local stuff in a place like Chicago, but it doesn't appear to matter nationally. The only commercials you see Eli in are with his brother who played in Indy and Denver.

Marketing? It's the NFL, doesn't matter where you play.

Yeah it does.  New York City teams get more coverage, they play in a bigger marketplace (they are likely to get more money for local ads)

Players get popular when they play for big market teams then when they play for smaller market teams.  

National advertisers prefer more popular players for their ads.

There is a difference in terms of opportunities.  If you want to get the same kind of opportunities on a small market team as players get on a large market then you need to be a future HOF'er.  

Yeah it does.  New York City teams get more coverage, they play in a bigger marketplace (they are likely to get more money for local ads)

Players get popular when they play for big market teams then when they play for smaller market teams.  

National advertisers prefer more popular players for their ads.

There is a difference in terms of opportunities.  If you want to get the same kind of opportunities on a small market team as players get on a large market then you need to be a future HOF'er.

Where are all these big market players with national campaigns? Hell, Clay Mathews does more than Tony Romo.

Where are all these big market players with national campaigns? Hell, Clay Mathews does more than Tony Romo.

There used to be a cardboard cutout of Mark Sanchez advertising something in my Local Wal-Mart and this is during the time that he sucked and was benched for Geno Smith.

I just recently saw a small one for Andrew Luck, but no one near as large or prominently placed.

Also Justin Tuck landed a lot of advertisements such as subway while he was with the giants.

RG Bust is still advertising for subway.

There used to be a cardboard cutout of Mark Sanchez advertising something in my Local Wal-Mart and this is during the time that he sucked and was benched for Geno Smith.

Oh man, I bet Suh is salivating over opportunities like that!

I kid....

No. If you're a good player on a good team it doesn't matter. You might pick up more local stuff in a place like Chicago, but it doesn't appear to matter nationally. The only commercials you see Eli in are with his brother who played in Indy and Denver.

Well....    we'll agree to disagree.

But, let's put it this way....    at this point, is really doesn't matter if you or I are right or wrong.

Because what appears to be the case is................

It only matters to Suh.    And he thinks there are better opportunities for him elsewhere..........

What can I tell you?!?

Can't help but be reminded of Albert Haynesworth. No thanks.

Don't normally disagree with you, but this is one where I'd differ.

Suh is a phenomenal talent.  his attitude needs to get in check, but he is definitely a high motor guy with the talent behind it.  Haynesworth put up one solid year and cashed in big, and then just took the pay checks.

Only problem i see with the NYJ thing is they already seem to be loaded up front on their 3-4.  And it doesn't seem like either of their current guys would play the nose.  That said, if one of them slid inside and Suh was paired with those two... holy cow would that be a nasty defense.

Well....    we'll agree to disagree.

But, let's put it this way....    at this point, is really doesn't matter if you or I are right or wrong.

Because what appears to be the case is................

It only matters to Suh.    And he thinks there are better opportunities for him elsewhere..........

What can I tell you?!?

Well hell, I wouldn't want to play in Detroit either....it's the armpit of America.

Don't normally disagree with you, but this is one where I'd differ.

Suh is a phenomenal talent.  his attitude needs to get in check, but he is definitely a high motor guy with the talent behind it.  Haynesworth put up one solid year and cashed in big, and then just took the pay checks.

Only problem i see with the NYJ thing is they already seem to be loaded up front on their 3-4.  And it doesn't seem like either of their current guys would play the nose.  That said, if one of them slid inside and Suh was paired with those two... holy cow would that be a nasty defense.

Yeah, it's probably a tough comparison, as far as talent and work ethic go. But the attitude and disciplinary issues are similar, and that's mostly what I was talking about. I wouldn't expect Suh to get a big contract and then just mail it in, the way Haynesworth did, but I wouldn't want to be the team to throw big money at him.

Yeah, it's probably a tough comparison, as far as talent and work ethic go. But the attitude and disciplinary issues are similar, and that's mostly what I was talking about. I wouldn't expect Suh to get a big contract and then just mail it in, the way Haynesworth did, but I wouldn't want to be the team to throw big money at him.

Do you think he would fit our defense though? I mean I have given my opinion on that based on what I have seen from Paganos/Manuskys own defensive philosophy and alignments and such but your clearly more knowledgeable then me on this. I gave my opinion on how we would use him and it seems that for a talent like Suh (strictly speaking talent only) the coaching staff would fit him in well, For the record Im not so big on getting him.