Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Colts looking at a lot of safeties.

MTC

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? He uses the players he thinks will do the best job. It seem they are not happy with who they have thus looking at some others. Having one injured and one on IR does not spell incompetent. Not having the talent needed also don't spell stubbornness. There is such a thing as looking at the problems and figuring out why rather than being negative about the coach. Is your constant negativity have something to do with you being stubborn in seeing nothing but something to be negative about? Just curious.

..... Or maybe anyone with common sense can see Landry isn't fit to be a "interchangeable" safety as Manusky calls it

Purifoy! Purifoy! Purifoy! In all seriousness since they don't seem to want to make my man into a safety, I'm with Coffee Drinker on bringing Dewey Mcdonald up from the PS in place of Colt Anderson if they are searching for safeties due to his injury.   I don't know who they are going to find as a free agent at this point if this is about finding somebody better than Adams.  I still think they need to take a long look at Purifoy, but I'm just a guy typing on the computer..  Clemons seems to be the best free agent option out of the bunch, but who knows what Grigs will end up doing.  He's very unpredictable at times.

Purifoy! Purifoy! Purifoy! In all seriousness since they don't seem to want to make my man into a safety, I'm with Coffee Drinker on bringing Dewey Mcdonald up from the PS in place of Colt Anderson if they are searching for safeties due to his injury. I don't know who they are going to find as a free agent at this point if this is about finding somebody better than Adams. I still think they need to take a long look at Purifoy, but I'm just a guy typing on the computer.. Clemons seems to be the best free agent option out of the bunch, but who knows what Grigs will end up doing. He's very unpredictable at times.

That man preaching!!!!

:clap:

So I take it you never gave my question to you any thought at all? Maybe my comment was true?

You asked if my stubbornness was just to find something negative

There's a difference between being negative and stating facts

Landry sucks in coverage and shouldn't be used as a "interchangeable" safety as he is not built for that. That is stating a fact, not being negative

"I differ what they prefer, so they count me like the census"

He did not say that at all. Now you put words in the GMs mouth? Geez.

grigs said on 1070 radio in an earlier interview, that he is always looking at upgrades at all positions

"Always looking at upgrades at all positions"

Is QB & WR not a position in football? Did Goodell change a rule again?

You asked if my stubbornness was just to find something negative

There's a difference between being negative and stating facts

Landry sucks in coverage and shouldn't be used as a "interchangeable" safety as he is not built for that. That is stating a fact, not being negative

"I differ what they prefer, so they count me like the census"

Not really manusky's fault that Grigs brought in a guy who doesn't fit Manusky's system.

Purifoy! Purifoy! Purifoy! In all seriousness since they don't seem to want to make my man into a safety, I'm with Coffee Drinker on bringing Dewey Mcdonald up from the PS in place of Colt Anderson if they are searching for safeties due to his injury. I don't know who they are going to find as a free agent at this point if this is about finding somebody better than Adams. I still think they need to take a long look at Purifoy, but I'm just a guy typing on the computer.. Clemons seems to be the best free agent option out of the bunch, but who knows what Grigs will end up doing. He's very unpredictable at times.

We're in the middle of a season where we already started 1-2. We can't take a chance on a player who has the"skill set"to play safety but never actually played the position. And we can't bring a player from the practice squad who couldn't even make an impact against 3rd stringers in preseason. We need a vet if anything.

You'd think Manusky would have some say so wouldn't you?

If he doesn't fit what your plan is..... Speak up on it

That's like giving a Horse to a Sheppard haha

He was the only good option at a position we desperately needed help in.. pretty sure Manusky couldn't have said no to that.

We're in the middle of a season where we already started 1-2. We can't take a chance on a player who has the"skill set"to play safety but never actually played the position. And we can't bring a player from the practice squad who couldn't even make an impact against 3rd stringers in preseason. We need a vet if anything.

The determination needs to be made as to what reason are we looking for safeties.   If we are looking for a backup to Adams due to Andersons' injury then I would say Mcdonald is ideal because he knows the defense.  Colt Anderson didn't do much of anything in the preseason either, but we can afford to have him as a backup just the same as we can afford to have Sergio Brown who is worthless as a safety in my opinion as well.  If we are looking for an upgrade to replace Adams it will probably be done with who ever is out on the FA market, but it's likely they will have to spend some time learning the defense.  

With that being said I still say the coaches should at least give Purifoy some consideration because he has some knowledge of the defense, he has size, striking ability, safety speed, and a nose for making plays.  He's had some experience at corner and safety in college so it's not like it would be a total foreign world, and who knows what they may be letting him do in practice. Nobody knew Xavier Nixon could play guard or was getting any snaps at guard in practice until they put him there in the games.  It's nothing out of the norm for a corner to switch or have knowledge of both positions, and I think Purifoy would increase his chances of getting on the field with the starters with increased versatility..  That's basically what the Jets are doing with Antonio Allen right now except he's a safety playing corner back.  He's having to do it because of their injury situation for now, and I have to admit he's a bit raw but the longer he stays out there I think Rex believes he'll get better.  Also once Dee Miliner gets back that will give the Jets even more versatility in their defensive alignments with Allen being able to line up at corner or safety.

Again I'm just a guy typing on a computer, so I'll leave it up to the coaches to do what they want with our team.

I wouldn't get ready to be too excited we are looking for depth Anderson is dinged and Brown has already been hurt. I don't think we are signing a S week 4 that is going to start barring injury.

Adams and Landry have been pretty good except for Denver. I didn't think Adams played horribly in that game. That is on the coaches in my opinion no Welker they know Peyton I think everyone knew he would lean on Thomas. He is a tough cover for LB's and our S's,

Seattle showed how to slow him knock the crap out of him, We didn't do that I am pretty sure all 3 td's he never touched the ground. Great player doesn't like to get hit we just didn't hit him or really get physical with him at all. I am not advocating dirty play but there is such a thing as a good flag. I am not talking head shots or any crazy stuff just bullying the guy a little.

As far as moving Purifoy if he has the tools to be an outside corner that is more valuable in the long run than S I'd keep him right where he is at. Adams is a good band aid he was the starter in the Super Bowl last year. He is better than Purifoy there right now anyway. We are going to have to wait to fix the problem.

I totally disagree with taking a S with our 1st round pick no matter who is there. That's crazy. We need to address S and our pass rush, more speed on D. We are going to have a lot of picks for Grig's to work with. Take the best player don't reach. I might consider looking at S in FA,  It's really the only position that we need immediate help. I am not sure who the FA S's are next year but it would be nice to just plug in a guy you know can play. Mathis will be back. We should be pretty solid.

We do have different ones, our defensive coordinator is just either stubborn or incompetent

Come on, TK....    how many times have we been through this....

Manusky stands 5-10 feet away from Pagano, who has been both a DC and a defensive backs coach.

If Manusky is doing things Pagano doesn't like, I'm sure he'd say something.

I don't know why you're on some anti-Manusky rant....   the guys isn't working with much talent,  and the defense is doing OK...

I think you're either being stubborn or incompetent...!     Hmmmm??

"Always looking at upgrades at all positions"

Is QB & WR not a position in football? Did Goodell change a rule again?

Your words were excluding QBs and WRs. That is not what Grigs stated.  Godell has zero to do with this subject. I was only going by exactly what your comment was. I listened to his interview and no where did I hear him excluding any position as you suggested he did. If you add remarks made by Grigs it would be nice to get it right without putting words in his mouth.

Signing Mike Adams for veterans minimum to fill a need is the equivalent of me "attempting" to study 15 minutes before a final exam. Oh yeah, let's just throw a piece of plywood over a sink hole and call it fixed.

Adams is by no means a pro bowl S but I think he is a little better than you are giving him credit for. I think we are pretty lucky to have been able to get him when we did. He was the starter for the Super Bowl loser last year. He isn't the future but I think he is a better band aid than a piece of plywood with a hole cut in.

ADAMS AT A GLANCE:

• A 10th-year player who has seen action in 146 career games with Denver (2012-13), Cleveland (2007-11) and San Francisco (2004-06), combining for 73 starts at both safety positions and cornerback.

• Totaled career highs in tackles (80) and passes defensed (11) in his first year with the Broncos in 2012, helping Denver rank second in the NFL in total defense (third in pass defense).

• Opened 16 games at free safety for Cleveland in 2011 as the Browns finished with the NFL’s second-ranked pass defense (184.9 ypg).

• Owns 18 career takeaways (12 INTs, 6 FR) in addition to contributing 67 special-teams tackles in his first nine NFL seasons.

I just have had high hopes on Rambo in Washington and i feel like he just needs a new place to be. Landry was good against the Jags but i would like to see more consistency.

How is it you can`t understand the Jags don`t count. A bad line, young receivers, and a mediocre at best QB.

Landry is extremely mediocre and so is Adams.