Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Everything Trent Richardson [Merge]

LordHelpOurColts

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i have been a Richardson apologist, but if he continues to struggle the first few games and the other guys are productive then he needs to drop down the depth chart and just be a short yardage back. In hoping he starts to shine though

Boom's the guy.  He'll get over 4 YPC every rush for the rest of his life in Indy. 

If one of those 3 doesn't take the leaf and produce then we are in trouble. The lone isn't good enough to protect Luck and not let him be pressured.

Gotta have some form of a run game to keep the defense somewhat honest.

I wish Trent was all that everyone thought he would be, but I don't see it. Bradshaw will never make it through the season as a featured back, and Boom is far from proven.

Well i have been a Richardson apologist, but if he continues to struggle the first few games and the other guys are productive then he needs to drop down the depth chart and just be a short yardage back. In hoping he starts to shine though

These are my thoughts too. Give him the ball and see if he can make some hay the first few games. If he can't then have to go with someone else and let him be the short down back.

These are my thoughts too. Give him the ball and see if he can make some hay the first few games. If he can't then have to go with someone else and let him be the short down back.

I have not been an apologist per say, but I have tried to give Trent the benefit of the doubt. I would have TRich on a super short leash. The blocking must be better as well as the play calling, then Trent must quit dancing and get up field.

I don't think TR would have been any better against those second and third stringers. Give Boom a chance, TR has used up all of his.

I absolutely think TR would have played better in the situations Boom was in provided he got the same type of blocking that Boom did.

1. I don't think that Grigson did enough to improve our Offensive Line the last few years. If Richardson has to answer the bell so does Mr. Grigson. 

2. Play calling especially in the run game is sometimes pretty awful. Pep Hamilton has to do a better job. Colts are very predictable and the Running Backs run continually run against a wall 

3. Yes Richardson has to play smarter and be more decisive.

1. Since Grigson has been here, he's brought in Justice, Satele and McGlynn, and then when he actually had cap space he brought in Cherilus and Thomas, and spent multiple draft picks on Thornton (3rd round), Holmes (4th round), Mewhort (2nd round) and John (7th round).  That's not even mentioning the multitude of UDFA's that he's constantly churning the roster with to find developmental guys.  What more is he supposed to do?  Spend every draft pick on the OL and every dollar from the salary cap on OL FA's?  

2. I'm not going to try to make any assessment or judgement of Pep's playcalling during preseason.  Playcalling shouldn't even be a discussion, imo, until at least a few weeks into the regular season.

3. He also needs to get more consistent blocking.  So far in the preseason, when he's had opportunities, TR has gained yardage.  

In the NO game (I missed two of his runs... issues with the internet connection dropping on my steam) but I was specifically watching for yards left on the field and TRich did not leave any yards on the field last night. Boom, although he played very well, left about 3 yards on the field on the goal-line run if he had cut it up at the tackle he may have been able to get in but he stretched it too far and was stopped.  Not saying Boom is a bad RB, he's not, he's been impressive, IMO.

For Trich, I don't think it's all the line, it seems more blocking scheme and play calling.  IN his first run that went for no yards, there were 6 guys on the LOS and 2 LBers and it still took the guy who was unblocked from the backside to make the tackle.  On the play where he got hit as soon as the handoff was made... again that guy was unblocked, TRich did good to get back close to the LOS.  There other plays he's hitting the hole when it's there and is running with good power and good pad level.

I think the O may struggle this season but I don't think TRich is going to be the problem.

And I'm not a TRich apologist (I'm part of the group that thinks it was crazy to trade a 1st round draft pick on a RB)

For Trich, I don't think it's all the line, it seems more blocking scheme and play calling.  IN his first run that went for no yards, there were 6 guys on the LOS and 2 LBers and it still took the guy who was unblocked from the backside to make the tackle.  On the play where he got hit as soon as the handoff was made... again that guy was unblocked, TRich did good to get back close to the LOS.  There other plays he's hitting the hole when it's there and is running with good power and good pad level.

I think the O may struggle this season but I don't think TRich is going to be the problem.

I hope that Luck was told to just run the play even with 8 in the box because its the preseason. I hope in the regular season Luck checks out of that play and finds a WR or TE.  So predictable!

I hope that Luck was told to just run the play even with 8 in the box because its the preseason. I hope in the regular season Luck checks out of that play and finds a WR or TE.  So predictable!

That is an excellent point Smash Mouth.  And I hope you are correct.

That will be the "X' factor this year, IMO, is if Luck does that and does it correctly.

I would actually bet that was not the case.  Luck changed the play several times while he was in.  I would bet it has more to do with Luck still having some work to do regarding reading NFL level defenses.  This is not something that young QB's typically excel in.

I would actually bet that was not the case.  Luck changed the play several times while he was in.  I would bet it has more to do with Luck still having some work to do regarding reading NFL level defenses.  This is not something that young QB's typically excel in.

It could have been that, but I'm thinking it was more along the lines that he was reading a defense that they weren't particularly prepared for.  The correct call may have been something that wasn't in the call sheet, but you're not going to audible to something that you didn't practice that particular week.  Better to just go with the call you have that your team can execute, even if you know the opponent will win that particular play than it is to go with a play that your team hasn't practice and hope that no one misses an assignment. It happens, you make adjustments, and next time you know what audible will do better than sticking with the originally called play. 

It could have been that, but I'm thinking it was more along the lines that he was reading a defense that they weren't particularly prepared for.  The correct call may have been something that wasn't in the call sheet, but you're not going to audible to something that you didn't practice that particular week.  Better to just go with the call you have that your team can execute, even if you know the opponent will win that particular play than it is to go with a play that your team hasn't practice and hope that no one misses an assignment. It happens, you make adjustments, and next time you know what audible will do better than sticking with the originally called play. 

Agreed since the game planning is minimal in the preseason.  The part that troubles me the most is 8 in-the-box exposes this team's biggest weakness, the OL.  I don't want to sit and watch the Colts stubbornly try and run against a loaded front time and time again

2.8 ypc, yep it was definitely Andrew Lucks fault..... I am amazed at the excuses this guy gets.

They pulled him during the 2 minute drill.....

And Bradshaw averaged 0.7 ypc on that drive. So a talented veteran running back comes off the bench and does even worse. Good point?

I see the Cleveland offense still struggles to get 3 ypc. Real night and day difference without Richardson?

Agreed since the game planning is minimal in the preseason.  The part that troubles me the most is 8 in-the-box exposes this team's biggest weakness, the OL.  I don't want to sit and watch the Colts stubbornly try and run against a loaded front time and time again

That's why I had such a huge problem when we ran the 22 formation (2 TE, 2 RBs) last year.  When they stack the box like that, you leave yourself one WR to option to in the event of an audible.  You could always audible to a different formation, but ultimately, you're not really creating mismatches, your just running two semi's into a head on collision.  Maybe you break the seam and turn it into a big gain or catch the WR beating his guy, but those two things happen with a much lesser frequency than when you spread teh defense out.

I think that's what Trent will be.  Goal line, short yardage back.  He's solid and tough enough to scratch out a few yards there.  But if you need  6, he'll get you 3.  He doesn't have the explosiveness he once had.  Unfortunately, it also seems he hasn't gotten used to the speed of the NFL game.  Right now, he's missing cutback holes with the Colts that he saw and made at Alabama.

And Bradshaw averaged 0.7 ypc on that drive. So a talented veteran running back comes off the bench and does even worse. Good point?

I see the Cleveland offense still struggles to get 3 ypc. Real night and day difference without Richardson?

Bradshaw carried the ball 3 times and hasnt played in almost a year after having his neck fused. Not a real fair comparison.

Bradshaw carried the ball 3 times and hasnt played in almost a year after having his neck fused. Not a real fair comparison.

YPC is the only objective truth in this thread, everything else is an excuse. I didn't write the rules, but I try to follow them.

Elsewhere I might be inclined to agree with you.

I love how butthurt you guys get when faced with the cold hard facts. It never ends it a quality debate, it always goes back to childish ways "LOL BROWNS SUCKS HUE HUE HUE".

Grow up. 

The Browns lead back is averaging 4.3

I love how butthurt you guys get when faced with the cold hard facts. It never ends it a quality debate, it always goes back to childish ways "LOL BROWNS SUCKS HUE HUE HUE".

Grow up. 

hows johnny middle finger doing

hows johnny middle finger doing

He's a rookie completing 57% of his passes, 213 yards, 1TD, 0 INT and 1 rushing TD. While learning a real playbook for the first time. 

So that's 162 yards and 2 touchdowns more than Trent Richardson....

He's a rookie completing 57% of his passes, 213 yards, 1TD, 0 INT and 1 rushing TD. While learning a real playbook for the first time.

As bad as the trade has looked for the colts, it appears using that pick to draft Johnny clipboard is even worse. He couldn't beat out Hoyer who is also not very good

As bad as the trade has looked for the colts, it appears using that pick to draft Johnny clipboard is even worse. He couldn't beat out Hoyer who is also not very good

He's better than Hoyer, he's just not ready, kind of like every single QB drafted this year. So by your Logic, Richardson is better than Bortles and Bridgewater as well. 

:spit:

were those stats suppose to be impressive? johnny * has played a lot more then trent in the preseason

He's better than Hoyer, he's just not ready, kind of like every single QB drafted this year. So by your Logic, Richardson is better than Bortles and Bridgewater as well.

:spit:

Chad Henne and Matt Cassel are better than Hoyer. Johnny can't get out of his own way. He may never start. Bridgewater and Bortles have both looked pretty good Johnny, not so much

were those stats suppose to be impressive? johnny * has played a lot more then trent in the preseason

It was an indictment on how terrible Richardson is, not a glowing report on Manziel. 

Did you understand "indictment"? 

It was an indictment on how terrible Richardson is, not a glowing report on Manziel. 

Did you understand "indictment"? 

really because I must have missed how better manziel has played when his butt will be on the bench. guess it beats on the turf every play

That's why I had such a huge problem when we ran the 22 formation (2 TE, 2 RBs) last year.  When they stack the box like that, you leave yourself one WR to option to in the event of an audible.  You could always audible to a different formation, but ultimately, you're not really creating mismatches, your just running two semi's into a head on collision.  Maybe you break the seam and turn it into a big gain or catch the WR beating his guy, but those two things happen with a much lesser frequency than when you spread teh defense out.

I would be ok with a 22 formation if we had the strength in the OL to be physical like that.  I feel like this is the blind spot that Pagano and/or Pep have regarding this team.