Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PHI @ IND Post-game discussion: special teams

21isSuperman

I'll say this, and it's a bit off topic but we got the Raw end of the deal with that Parkey for Fluellen deal. Parkey turned the lights out on us tonight, and where is Fluellen? He's not even on the team anymore.

Exactly what I said would happen but everyone bashed me for it

Even predicted that Parkey would kick the GW and what happened?

Smh, another Trade we got taken for a ride on

:facepalm:

Exactly what I said would happen but everyone bashed me for it

Even predicted that Parkey would kick the GW and what happened?

Smh, another Trade we got taken for a ride on

:facepalm:

Had we not done that deal, they would have been stuck with that trashy kicker they had.   Oh well on to Jacksonville I suppose!

Dear God. That is literally the only response I can give to you people anymore. Hitting a 30 us fg is not a big task. And he missed one at the beginning of the game. And he wasn't going to make the team. Dear God.

Nobody in their right mind believes that trade was a real deal breaker for the Colts.  However it was just an extra kick in the gut to point out for a game we clearly should have won.  Just an extra point of contention although there's plenty that we did as a team tonight to close our own curtain. I give Pep very little of the blame in my mind.

I like Griff. He works hard and gives effort. However is speed is very limited. I felt like there were a couple times last night where we had a chance to get big returns but he due to his speed, he couldn't take advantage. Then the last return, I think, someone fast could have prob a big one. It was blocked well and there was plenty of space. We need someone with speed and explosiveness

I'd only put Griff back there in case were it's a tie game or a one possession game due to his dependability to safely catch the ball

I like Griff. He works hard and gives effort. However is speed is very limited. I felt like there were a couple times last night where we had a chance to get big returns but he due to his speed, he couldn't take advantage. Then the last return, I think, someone fast could have prob a big one. It was blocked well and there was plenty of space. We need someone with speed and explosiveness

I'd only put Griff back there in case were it's a tie game or a one possession game due to his dependability to safely catch the ball

Not sure why he gets the nod over Moncreif, but i agree i saw the same thing last night, there were holes there he jus couldnt hit them fast enough.

Ill take speed over hands any day on return.

I only saw one where he didn't take advantage of a block and instead ran right into his guy. But you can't not have someone with hands that can catch back there. You wanna put someone like DHB back there and pray he doesn't fumble it away?

I only saw one where he didn't take advantage of a block and instead ran right into his guy. But you can't not have someone with hands that can catch back there. You wanna put someone like DHB back there and pray he doesn't fumble it away?

There are other guys on the team with adequate hands that are faster than Whalen. Im not knocking Whalen he did an ok job but there were oppourtunities to get bigger gains.  

You will take it until the ball is fumbled.  Most coaches will take hands over speed.  I will take the hands and trust that Luck can score points.

Everyone has there preference i guess. Personally i take the chance with speed and an opportunity to get great field position. Special Teams is a important part of the game.  

There are other guys on the team with adequate hands that are faster than Whalen. Im not knocking Whalen he did an ok job but there were oppourtunities to get bigger gains.  

I think they see Whalen as expendable.  Dont want to risk Moncrief, and everyone else that i can think of is inactive or on the Practice squad.  Whalen has two weapons going for him though, with his ability to move the chains when needed on short yardage.

Catching a punt or KO is not difficult, lets not try and make it seem like its the most difficult thing to do.

Catching a Punt and KO is actually more difficult than catching a pass IMO.  When the Punt is that high, you cant be for certain where its going to land due to the verticality of it.  Its just like baseball, its easier to tell where its going from the side, but not when its going at you.

Catching a punt or KO is not difficult, lets not try and make it seem like its the most difficult thing to do.

Trindon Holliday had issues doing that early in the 2012 season, hence being cut by the Texans. Chris Rainey and David Reed both had trouble holding onto the ball during kickoffs and punts. It's kind of important.