Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

to the people that think we will lose to broncos.

Stephen

Y'know, this is a game between two very good football teams, and I think we always get some week 1 reminders that our "analysis" is not as clear and certain as we think.  Last year, there was no way our CBs could match up against the Broncos' three elite receivers...yet, they did!  Here's some things that are being tossed out as fact that I'm not convinced of:

1) Luck will be running for his life because the OL is in shambles.  Thornton's looked very good this pre-season, Mewhort hasn't been bad, and Holmes' 19 snaps as a Colt have been fantastic!  (All kidding aside, if Holmes goes, we'll all be pretty impressed with his play.)  If it ends up being Harrison, his pass blocking was really good in the Preseason.  I personally believe that the OL is in good shape to stand up to Denver's pass rush.  Then there's Luck's elite vision and movement in the pocket.

2) Colts wont be able to run the ball.  I'm not convinced of this.  Let's face it: people just focus on Richardson's YPC.  Watching Game 3 of the Preseason, he had some nice runs (and YPC), until the gameplan changed, and he got stuffed a couple of times.  Keep in mind that there are two other RBs who ran well in the Preseason, too.  I think that if Pep wants to run the ball against Denver, he certainly has not yet shown even a glimpse of the gameplan he'll use to do so.

3) Without Mathis, we won't be able to pressure Manning.  Why do we even draft players?  If they aren't all-pros as rookies, they get discounted as terrible!   Bjoern has been talked up all preseason, and I believe he can deliver some rush.  Newsome too. 

This is a very winnable game, even though it appears to be the season's biggest challenge...

I totally agree with all 3 points especially 2 and 3. I think Werner is going to have a very good game. Pep should have an idea of what will make this offense motor. I will admit Pep worries me. I know it is unfair to judge off of last year due to the injuries but man it is hard to forget.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You were doing just fine with your well thought out and reasoned post.

And then....   BAM!!     You dipped into the paranoid conspiracy theory bucket.....    (sigh....)

The NFL couldn't care less if Indy wins or loses.    (I don't know where this stuff comes from.......)

I should have put a "note sarcasm" sign in there but didn't think about it at the time.  There's no conspiracy.  

We all have our opinions; in the media's opinion, Denver is the fave this year.  It's all good.  

I should have put a "note sarcasm" sign in there but didn't think about it at the time.  There's no conspiracy.  

We all have our opinions; in the media's opinion, Denver is the fave this year.  It's all good.  

Sorry if I came down too hard on you....    but yes, those emoticons can really, really help!     :thmup:

or peyton. oh wait we beat him

No % Sherlock. The colts have beat the pats and Tom Brady before as well It doesn't mean it's a foregone conclusion it will happen this season. I'm not in the camp that thinks the colts can't win, but it's no easy task like some here have convinced themselves of

No % Sherlock. The colts have beat the pats and Tom Brady before as well It doesn't mean it's a foregone conclusion it will happen this season. I'm not in the camp that thinks the colts can't win, but it's no easy task like some here have convinced themselves of

im just stating we've beaten the broncos which includes beating peyton

I think there are two competing views for this game. I'm already on record in numerous threads saying that the Broncos will win big. Probably something similar to last night with Seattle and Greenbay. I don't think its necessarily bad or makes you less of a fan regardless of who you think will win a given game. It says more about what values you hold as a person. I believe on one extreme you have fans that go into every game thinking the Colts are going to win, they generally tend to value traits like hope and faith more at the expense of traits like intelligence and logic. There's nothing wrong with that and I believe in some respects its needed, a team needs die hard fans that truly believe they are going to win no matter what because it helps a team survive in the down times. I think its less important when you have a good team like the Colts versus a team like the Jaguars but I still feel those types of fans are needed. The ones that are saying the Broncos are going to destroy the Colts or even that the Colts will lose place more value in traits like reason, logic and intelligence. They are also needed for a team will only get better by accurately assessing its talent and then figuring out in what areas it needs to improve. These fans as shown here are great at doing match-ups, at seeing a team's strengths and weaknesses and how they measure up to other teams. That tends to be the side I tend to be on but it doesn't make it right or make that type of fan better. And while there are two types of fans there are lots of people in the middle of those two extremes. It just depends on if you place more value in hope and faith or intelligence, logic and reasoning. And while I've said that the first type are delusional and separated from reality that doesn't mean they aren't needed.

I like how you insinuate fans who think we'll win are fans of faith. Those who think we'll lose are intelligent. I'll just leave it at that...

The game, as any game, can go either way.  I do believe that the game leans heavily toward Denver.   Healthy O-line, Peyton Manning, home field advantage, and no Robert Mathis on the field.  (I'm picturing Peyton kneeling in a quiet church while lighting a candle, thanking God for this one).  Furthermore, the NFL would implode if Indy wins; Indy isn't supposed to win this one.

The Colts "weren't supposed" to win the game last year either.  Peyton and the Broncos put on their pants the same way our Colts do.  I'm fine with Denver being favored but many are too readily dismissing the Colts' chances in this one.  It wouldn't exactly surprise me to see Indy come away with a win.  If the Colts are on their game they are capable of beating any team in the league.  Whether or not they are remains to be seen.  Let's see what happens Sunday night. 

Yes and fans of the Jacksonville Jaguars should be thinking they are gonna win the superbowl this year.

I'm still gonna watch and cheer for the Colts because a win is possible.  But realistically Denver has a better O-line, better RB, better QB, at best the receivers are a wash but their receivers could be better as well, and they have a better defense and are at home.

I am failing to see where our advantage is here.  

And it's ridiculous to question the fan-dom of anyone who doesn't expect the Colts to win and accuse them of a defeatist attitude.  What do you expect them to believe that we will go 19-0???? Because if you don't believe we will go 19-0 then at some point in this season you believe we are going to lose.  DEFEATISM!!!!

In fact why don't you just accuse everyone who think that the Colts will ever lose a game again ever in the future of defeatism???  Yes I firmly believe that the Colts will go 19-0 forever after this and win every superbowl because I wouldn't want to be defeatist!  And as we know predicting that the Colts will lose is defeatist!  Therefore my prediction is the Colts will never lose again.

Just hope the Players don't go into games thinking they are going to lose...

but that's why they are football player's, and the defeatist fans are typing their criticism on a fan forum...

Do you think it will be similar to what the seahawks did to green bay or worse

I have one question to those who truly believe we will lose.

Do you follow the colts in the off season? Do you look into the players that they sign, given the info there is about them? Do you follow mini camp and preseason colts football?

I'm just curious if this is so...? Because I know I do, and I can see we are improved from last year.

Now answer me this...

Do you follow Denver in the off season? Do you pay attention to the players they sign? Do you follow their mini camps and preseason games?

As much as you do the colts? If indeed you do follow the colts..

If you say no to the colts then you have no room to say we will lose.

If you say no to Denver, then you have no room to talk, because you literally have no idea what is going on with these teams.

It's game 1 of the regular season. Last year doesn't matter. The only thing you can count on is this year will not be like the last. Just like every year. And just like every year, pre season games don't mean a thing.

Now guys please remain intelligent. At least act like you watch football every year. Give me a real reason to believe we will win or lose and I will listen.

Lets all be honest with ourselves here.  Who cares about history.  Sure its the same franchises and similar teams to last year but none of that matters!  Denver is favored to win, as they should be.  Colts have improved since last year in areas they desperately needed to.  Either team could easily win, it will come down to who executes Sunday night!  The only way to compare is to look at current matchups and see who has the advantage, but that doesn't even mean anything.

Just hope the Players don't go into games thinking they are going to lose...

but that's why they are football player's, and the defeatist fans are typing their criticism on a fan forum...

I would expect that the players go into every game with the intention of playing their best and seeing how things turn out.

Would you prefer Andrew Luck to go on NFL Total Access and guarantee victory??

I have one question to those who truly believe we will lose.

Do you follow the colts in the off season? Do you look into the players that they sign, given the info there is about them? Do you follow mini camp and preseason colts football?

I'm just curious if this is so...? Because I know I do, and I can see we are improved from last year.

Now answer me this...

Do you follow Denver in the off season? Do you pay attention to the players they sign? Do you follow their mini camps and preseason games?

As much as you do the colts? If indeed you do follow the colts..

If you say no to the colts then you have no room to say we will lose.

If you say no to Denver, then you have no room to talk, because you literally have no idea what is going on with these teams.

It's game 1 of the regular season. Last year doesn't matter. The only thing you can count on is this year will not be like the last. Just like every year. And just like every year, pre season games don't mean a thing.

Now guys please remain intelligent. At least act like you watch football every year. Give me a real reason to believe we will win or lose and I will listen.

Umm how about several

1. Mathis Suspended 

2. Ryan Clady playing

3. Playing in Denver and Not indianapolis

4. TJ Ward strongly upgrades Denver's secondary

5. Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware should provide plenty of pass rush, while we will be relying on Werner.  Werner has improved but that doesn't magically make him into Von Miller.

Umm how about several

1. Mathis Suspended

2. Ryan Clady playing

3. Playing in Denver and Not indianapolis

4. TJ Ward strongly upgrades Denver's secondary

5. Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware should provide plenty of pass rush, while we will be relying on Werner. Werner has improved but that doesn't magically make him into Von Miller.

I forgot we didn't upgrade any of our team. Thank you for the reminder.

I would expect that the players go into every game with the intention of playing their best and seeing how things turn out.

Would you prefer Andrew Luck to go on NFL Total Access and guarantee victory??

Nah, not really worried about Andrew saying something like that, it's not his style...

I do prefer fans who come across as fans...

It's one thing to say "Hey, we play the Broncos this Sunday, going to be a tough game" versus the style in which some poster's seem to bang fists on tables about the team around here... 

All this I'm a bigger fan because I think we will go 19-0 or I'm a smarter fan because I think we will lose to me is just too funny and entirely pointless. Obviously we can win any game and just as easily lose any game this year. I mean the same team that beat Denver and Seattle and SF also got whipped by St Louis and Arizona...anything can happen any sunday. I think we ALL know we can win....and it should be a good game...we will have to play our best brand of football to do that...but its entirely possible if we don't play as we are capable its going to be tough to pull this out. We are all fans....we ALL WANT to win...we just don't know IF we will win....and thats all that needs to be said. I certainly think we can win....would I put money on it....heck no but I'm confident we are going to see some great things Sunday night...and some that will probably make me shake my head. If we are going to win we will have to play a defensive gem like last year and take care of the ball and control the clock on offense. We will just have to watch to see what happens. 1 game won't make or break our season...so either way we still will have lots to look forward too. Just hoping for a well played matchup.