Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

9/2 Roster Moves

HtownColt

The Indianapolis Colts today signed free agent tackle Jamon Meredith to the active roster and tackle Reid Fragel to the practice squad. The team also placed tackle Xavier Nixon on Injured Reserve/Designated for Return, released tackle Tyler Hoover from the practice squad and released running back Deji Karim from Injured Reserve with an injury settlement.

Meredith, 6-5, 312 pounds, has played in 47 career games (24 starts) with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2012-13), Pittsburgh Steelers (2011), New York Giants (2010) and Buffalo Bills (2009-2010). He has started at both tackle and guard in his career. In 2013, Meredith played in a career-high 16 games, making eight starts. In 2012, he started a career-high 12 games, as he helped the Buccaneers set team single-season records in points scored (389) and total net yards (5,820). Meredith was originally selected by the Green Bay Packers in the fifth round (162nd overall) of the 2009 NFL Draft out of the University of South Carolina.

Reid Fragel > Jamon Meredith

You could be right as I don't know much about either player. However , I would guess that Meredith is on the 53 and Fragel the PS due to all the experience Meredith has.  Fragel could be the better signing as you infer.

Still leaves me questioning how long Shipley will be here.  After this game if the other 2 centers are healthy we will have 3 centers. Shipleys ability to play guard is kind of moot when you have a tackle in Meredith who is able to play guard.  Also the other guard we have on the team in Louis.  

It appears to me that we signed Meredith to the 53 man roster. The depth chart shows him as the backup to Gosder Cherilus

Still leaves me questioning how long Shipley will be here.  After this game if the other 2 centers are healthy we will have 3 centers. Shipleys ability to play guard is kind of moot when you have a tackle in Meredith who is able to play guard.  Also the other guard we have on the team in Louis.  

It appears to me that we signed Meredith to the 53 man roster. The depth chart shows him as the backup to Gosder Cherilus

reitz has a high ankle sprain so hes most likely out for atleast a month

Maybe he is the guy out when we cut a player for Mathis to return. It would be about the time Reitz should be healed up. Or maybe Harrison is sent to the PS.

Or maybe he becomes our starting C because Holmes can't stay healthy.

It will all play out. I don't mind having Shipley back rumor has it he was working at G in Baltimore maybe he has improved and can provide quality back up at 3 spots. Harrison's lack of experience I'd be worried if I were him. Grig's doesn't like rookie C's or that is what he has said in the past.

Either way all good news healthy bodies behind a starting O Line that almost stayed in tact for opening day.

That isn't that bad I am going to go out on a limb and say our QB is probably more mobile better at sliding in the pocket than whoever the Bucs were running out there

I'm going go out further on that limb and say we our interior line doesn't have numbers as good as that. Seems like one of them gave up pressure every single play.

Yes, but Meredith is able to play all 4 spots on the O line so it appears to me that he is playing Reitz role.  Am I missing something?

From what I have been reading it sounds like Louis could play at least RT if he had too.

Sounds like Nixon won't be ready to go as soon as Reitz if you are referring to Nixon to IR 

a pressure every 27 snaps. pretty good

It's not good at all. A good guard gives up a pressure once in about 55 snaps. An average guard is more like once in 40 snaps. A pressure every 27 snaps is well below average. Mike McGlynn gave up a pressure every 19 snaps, so according to the McGlynn Coeffiecient, Meredith is "pretty good."

In his defense, he's had a transition from TE to tackle to guard, with multiple teams, so he's probably all over the place with his technique. But in his sixth year, at 28, he probably is who he is at this point.

I'm going go out further on that limb and say we our interior line doesn't have numbers as good as that. Seems like one of them gave up pressure every single play.

Thornton was 1/22, McGlynn was 1/19. Satele was 1/55, an elite number for any OL.

Long story short, pressures aren't conclusive. Just a piece of the puzzle.

It's not good at all. A good guard gives up a pressure once in about 55 snaps. An average guard is more like once in 40 snaps. A pressure every 27 snaps is well below average. Mike McGlynn gave up a pressure every 19 snaps, so according to the McGlynn Coeffiecient, Meredith is "pretty good."

In his defense, he's had a transition from TE to tackle to guard, with multiple teams, so he's probably all over the place with his technique. But in his sixth year, at 28, he probably is who he is at this point.

I take it back then. 

Thornton was 1/22, McGlynn was 1/19. Satele was 1/55, an elite number for any OL.

Long story short, pressures aren't conclusive. Just a piece of the puzzle.

Thanks for looking that up. It's pretty bad when mediocre or average looks good to us. Lol.