Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Greg Manusky

chrisfarley

After Manusky was hired by the Chargers, they (the Chargers) stated that Manusky had a good reputation coming from the 49ers.  Manusky was later fired by the Chargers.

what reputation did he have from the 49ers???? their defense was average and soft and the year manusky leaves and comes to san diego the 49ers defense goes to a top defense..aj didn't do his homework there!!!!

Jury is still out on this guy.  I am hoping for the best with Greg M. certainly. He did go to Colgate, so I know he practices good oral hygiene.   :goodluck:

After Manusky was hired by the Chargers, they (the Chargers) stated that Manusky had a good reputation coming from the 49ers.  Manusky was later fired by the Chargers.

what reputation did he have from the 49ers???? their defense was average and soft and the year manusky leaves and comes to san diego the 49ers defense goes to a top defense..aj didn't do his homework there!!!!

Jury is still out on this guy.  I am hoping for the best with Greg M. certainly. He did go to Colgate, so I know he practices good oral hygiene.   :goodluck:

He definitely hasn't reached his crest. Ugh.

Obviously, no game planning yesterday. Sometimes I wonder about his assignments. Overall, I think he does pretty well with what he has to work with.

You're right, and I don't think there's any doubt, the jury is still out on him.

No doubt we played poorly on both sides of the ball, even in areas of strength, but let's balance reality with perspective on how it unfolded.  Consider the number of times where we had players in position to make plays ie. Werner on the screen, DQ missed tackles, Landry could've, should've picked off that pass, etc.

Make a few of those plays, and we start to disrupt their rhythm, and that is what defensive football is all about - and that is what they did to us on the other side of the ball.  

Yes, we didn't show up, but in a 4Q game, I still think we'd have been there at the end.

He definitely hasn't reached his crest. Ugh.

Obviously, no game planning yesterday. Sometimes I wonder about his assignments. Overall, I think he does pretty well with what he has to work with.

You're right, and I don't think there's any doubt, the jury is still out on him.

What we saw yesterday is not unlike what we saw all of the past two seasons. Not many mixed coverages. Mostly man, allowing obvious running lanes for the QB over-and-over because no one has their eyes on him. It's old, it's broken, but he won't change.I feel like his relationship with Pagano, and the fact we keep winning in spite of his inability to get consistent play out of his defensive units is the primary reason he's still here.

Also, Pagano may be a master motivator, but I'm starting to think he may not be the X's O's defensive guru that he was advertised to be when he was hired. It's mind-boggling to me that he's content to sit and watch Manusky underwhelm at his position (particularly in the playoffs) and refuse to step in and call for some adjustments. Middle linebackers covering the other team's #1 shouldn't happen too frequently, but we saw it rear it's ugly head again last night. It was a preseason game, but I'm starting to think "What you see is what you get" with this defense   

Not worried....all I saw was Vanilla defense in it's utmost form. I would rather woryy about missed tackles from Vonte Davis, Darius Butler and the poor coverage by D. Jackson....

Ready for the first cuts here!! :blueshoe::blueshoe::blueshoe:

Exactly my man. The D was in position to make a ton of plays. We just didn't tackle well and loses turned into gains. Pags needs to have the chasing around chickens and tackling greased pigs lol

Exactly my man. The D was in position to make a ton of plays. We just didn't tackle well and loses turned into gains. Pags needs to have the chasing around chickens and tackling greased pigs lol

Tackling drills 3 times a day in every practice until improvement is made

We should've hired Rob Ryan

*snatches your apple juice*

I hate the Ryan brothers. Can't knock their coaching though. They always seem to have some tough defenses. Need to shore up our tackling. We would have had a ton of huge plays had we either wrapped up better or tripped them up so another could come in to hit.

Like Werner on that screen pass. He read it and would have made a great play but he went to wrap up the feet and he popped out. What if he could have just hooked the crap out if his foot and tripped him up. Huge loss. But what ifs don't count. Just need better tackling.

Tackling drills 3 times a day in every practice until improvement is made

That is what sucks....they can only be in pads sooo much and they do not get the tackling drills in.  In the season it is even worse with the CBA...I WISH Pagano could do that.

My problem as always is 'hitting' instead of 'wrap-up' tackling.  Would love to see Landry tackle.....Davis tackle....I can keep this a goin....:)

Not worried....all I saw was Vanilla defense in it's utmost form.  I would rather woryy about missed tackles from Vonte Davis, Darius Butler and the poor coverage by D. Jackson....

Ready for the first cuts here!! :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

I hope you are right on the vanilla comment, I was hoping we were holding cards on D because

Brees looked like the best QB in the history of the NFL last night.

I hope you are right on the vanilla comment, I was hoping we were holding cards on D because

Brees looked like the best QB in the history of the NFL last night.

well Brees is one of the best QBs in the game right now it's not like he's some scrub QB.

It's still pre-season guys. Just last we were talking about great the stsrting defense looked now we are acting like they stop paper. People are having very strong knee jerk reactions to pre-season games as a whole. Again, it's fair to point out legit concerns it's another to over react to them.

For the record the last part wasn't so much directed at you more everyone as a whole.

I thought the defense was pretty consistently in the right positions last night, and there were very few spectacular screw-ups, it's just that the defense kept missing out on drive killing plays by a step here or a few inches there or a broken tackle.  The most disappointing thing about the defensive performance was how little would have had to be different for it to have been an excellent performance.

I thought the defense was pretty consistently in the right positions last night, and there were very few spectacular screw-ups, it's just that the defense kept missing out on drive killing plays by a step here or a few inches there or a broken tackle.  The most disappointing thing about the defensive performance was how little would have had to be different for it to have been an excellent performance.

thats the NFL it's a game of inches. That also means it's fixable though with some film study and a little coaching. I agree with you the Colts were over pursuing big time last night. I have a feeling that will be addressed in film study.

well Brees is one of the best QBs in the game right now it's not like he's some scrub QB.

It's still pre-season guys. Just last we were talking about great the stsrting defense looked now we are acting like they stop paper. People are having very strong knee jerk reactions to pre-season games as a whole. Again, it's fair to point out legit concerns it's another to over react to them.

For the record the last part wasn't so much directed at you more everyone as a whole.

Well GC, you know as well as I do our Hoosiers are going to struggle this year in BB, so if

this is a sampling of what the Colts do against quality opponents then it's going to be a

loooong winter.

But you are right, It's only preseason.

Well GC, you know as well as I do our Hoosiers are going to struggle this year in BB, so if

this is a sampling of what the Colts do against quality opponents then it's going to be a

loooong winter.

But you are right, It's only preseason.

Do not worry....even on IU basketball...:)  We will score!!

Same with Colts...we will be fine!!!

What we saw yesterday is not unlike what we saw all of the past two seasons. Not many mixed coverages. Mostly man, allowing obvious running lanes for the QB over-and-over because no one has their eyes on him. It's old, it's broken, but he won't change.I feel like his relationship with Pagano, and the fact we keep winning in spite of his inability to get consistent play out of his defensive units is the primary reason he's still here.

Also, Pagano may be a master motivator, but I'm starting to think he may not be the X's O's defensive guru that he was advertised to be when he was hired. It's mind-boggling to me that he's content to sit and watch Manusky underwhelm at his position (particularly in the playoffs) and refuse to step in and call for some adjustments. Middle linebackers covering the other team's #1 shouldn't happen too frequently, but we saw it rear it's ugly head again last night. It was a preseason game, but I'm starting to think "What you see is what you get" with this defense   

pagano is a rah rah guy.  it's better than some of our blah blah guys, like dowhower and Venturi, .... master motivator, maybe he'll grow into one.  he's a player's coach for sure.  he's been around football all his life, but that can only take you so far.  defense is why we hired him, we need to give him another two years and that will tell us what we're dealing with here.  any number of years he's been here it's always going to be (x-1) due to the cancer year.  we do have to give him that 4 sure.

Manusky has always been a below average coordinator, he rarely switches up the coverage from man to zone. I also didn't like how many times Werner dropped back in coverage, he's our best pass rusher and should be rushing the passer at all times.

I'm okay with it in the preseason, but I expect Werner to rush 90% of the time in the regular season.

That is what sucks....they can only be in pads sooo much and they do not get the tackling drills in.  In the season it is even worse with the CBA...I WISH Pagano could do that.

My problem as always is 'hitting' instead of 'wrap-up' tackling.  Would love to see Landry tackle.....Davis tackle....I can keep this a goin....:)

It would be interesting to know when coaches stopped stressing 'wrap up!' in pee wee through high school. I must have heard it a million times. I still have dreams about hanging on some guys ankles, who out weighed me by 40lbs, waiting for help to bring him down.

Your earlier comment about vanilla was right on. It was obvious watching at the game that there were on 'games' being played. Not that it's an excuse for getting rolled like that. If it happens during the season, we have reason to be concerned.

It would be interesting to know when coaches stopped stressing 'wrap up!' in pee wee through high school. I must have heard it a million times. I still have dreams about hanging on some guys ankles, who out weighed me by 40lbs, waiting for help to bring him down.

Your earlier comment about vanilla was right on. It was obvious watching at the game that there were on 'games' being played. Not that it's an excuse for getting rolled like that. If it happens during the season, we have reason to be concerned.

Even with the vanilla defense, Manusky wasn't the problem last night.

Bad angles and poor tackling were the problems.

Only play I can fault Manusky for was allowing Jackson to cover Colston

Never should a LB be on a WR. NEVER

Far as the Jimmy Graham problem goes.... Well he's the best TE in the game so it is what it is on that part

Far as the Jimmy Graham problem goes.... Well he's the best TE in the game so it is what it is on that part

Yeah, 6'7-265 and can run like a wr is going to be a hard cover for anyone. I actually didn't think he was that big.

Agreed, poor performance will always undo good preparation.

BTW, that covering a WR with a LB has been a staple in our D for the last couple years. It still baffles me why, and even more, why don't more teams kill us on it. I know that we're using a corner blitz so the QB doesn't have time to get it out, but it only works if pressure is applied. Very risky.

the thought that kept coming up in my mind was that the have drive through their man.  This was always stressed to me in football, when you are making a tackle don't stop but drive him on his back.  It's like a good follow through with a golf swing or pool stroke.  Wrap up and keeping driving forward.

Yeah, 6'7-265 and can run like a wr is going to be a hard cover for anyone. I actually didn't think he was that big.

Yeah, people gotta understand the only team that really stopped Jimmy Graham was Seattle.

And last I checked we're not the best defense in the NFL so yeah

Agreed, poor performance will always undo good preparation.

BTW, that covering a WR with a LB has been a staple in our D for the last couple years. It still baffles me why, and even more, why don't more teams kill us on it. I know that we're using a corner blitz so the QB doesn't have time to get it out, but it only works if pressure is applied. Very risky.

I mean to Jackson's credit, it was pretty good coverage. But elite QB's like Bree's, Rodgers, Peyton, & Brady are gonna get that ball in there 9 times out of 10

If that was any of our division QB's, it would've been deflected

But still we should never have a LB on a WR. If we have to, we need to start prepping for spread teams how we did Denver. Let Vontae prepare for Tom Brady every week and then in the game we run a lot of nickel & dime packages

We have the DB's to do it and we have DB's willing to tackle so it's not much drop off in the run defense as we saw vs Denver last year

JMO

I mean to Jackson's credit, it was pretty good coverage. But elite QB's like Bree's, Rodgers, Peyton, & Brady are gonna get that ball in there 9 times out of 10

If that was any of our division QB's, it would've been deflected

But still we should never have a LB on a WR. If we have to, we need to start prepping for spread teams how we did Denver. Let Vontae prepare for Tom Brady every week and then in the game we run a lot of nickel & dime packages

We have the DB's to do it and we have DB's willing to tackle so it's not much drop off in the run defense as we saw vs Denver last year

JMO

I just rewatched the play. It was bad coverage. Jackson went flatfooted and let Colston run right by him. He could have covered that a lot better, but it's still a major mismatch.

I just rewatched the play. It was bad coverage. Jackson went flatfooted and let Colston run right by him. He could have covered that a lot better, but it's still a major mismatch.

For a LB on a WR it was good coverage. Only maybe 2 steps behind. Like I said, elite QB gonna make that throw. Average QB isn't

For a LB on a WR it was good coverage. Only maybe 2 steps behind. Like I said, elite QB gonna make that throw. Average QB isn't

I disagree. He didn't just get outrun by a faster player. He stood still and let him run past him. Still, a great QB would have given his WR a good chance at making the catch. I just don't think it was good coverage at all, even given the mismatch. 

Before u judge the defense coach u have to remember the colts are not gonna be a top 5 defense if u seriously thought that Lol.

We are a top 20 def at best going against a top 5 off What Did u expect, the problem is the lack of impact players on defense much more than the play calling, u call the perfect play and guy lose the one on one battles, other than vonte.and mathis can u guys seriously say there is a guy on defense that the opponents worry about. No this defense job is to keep it under so and so and the off should win games for us That's the problem more than the defense the offense with all the weapons we have can u imagine if Sean Payton or norv or one of the top offensive minds had this unit on off that we have, trust me u would not be worrying about the defense because games would be colts 37 opponent 21 and not colts 23 opponent 21 and we blaming the defense if we lose when in fact the off should be the work horse.....don't forget we drafted Andrew luck to build around not ray Lewis so the off hold a 65% - 70% responsibility on the out come of games....