Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Greg Manusky

chrisfarley

I'm okay with it in the preseason, but I expect Werner to rush 90% of the time in the regular season.

Agreed. I've been thinking they've been dropping werner into coverage a lot during preseason just to get him some reps playing on coverage for the (hopefully) few times he has to do it when it counts

Agreed. I've been thinking they've been dropping werner into coverage a lot during preseason just to get him some reps playing on coverage for the (hopefully) few times he has to do it when it counts

He's looked pretty good, I think, in coverage and in space. He can't really stick with TEs, but if he's back when the ball is caught, he's doing a good job with angles and making tackles.

When Mathis comes back, Werner can get more reps as the Sam backer, especially if he's trusted in coverage. And he's a better pass rusher than Walden, so that's a good thing. 

Yeah, people gotta understand the only team that really stopped Jimmy Graham was Seattle.

And last I checked we're not the best defense in the NFL so yeah

but our coaches should study how they use their people ( I know they are bigger and better across the board) and implement it in our D...

He's looked pretty good, I think, in coverage and in space. He can't really stick with TEs, but if he's back when the ball is caught, he's doing a good job with angles and making tackles.

When Mathis comes back, Werner can get more reps as the Sam backer, especially if he's trusted in coverage. And he's a better pass rusher than Walden, so that's a good thing.

Yep that's what I've been hoping for. If Newsome can gain some more strength and learn Sam as well then those 2 could give the Colts a lot of flexibility

I am a simple guy and football is a complicated game. However, cause and effect in the game can be simple. Brees killed us on every down... why... because he had time and has the experience. We will lose games defensively without an effective pass rush. MATHIS is a cataclysmic loss - I mean how many times did he pull out a strip sack when we needed it. I will go further by saying MATHIS probably won us a couple games last year through effective game altering plays. Much of a defense is predicated on pressuring the quarterback. If you can't do it you are likely , at best , a sqeaker wildcard .

Someone said we went vanilla - I really hope that's true.

I want TRich to succeed. He seems like a good guy with a lot of tools and really seems to have a lot of the qualities of a top notch runner - except maybe two. Vision and lateral speed. He really reminds me of a larger version of Addai when he had similar problems - too much bouncing around east and west and not getting what you can n and s. I can't tell if those two issues are related to just the time lag associated with indecisiveness or not. I hope they are - that means it's something that can be improved through learning. 

But what do I know - I am just a broken down fat guy in a green robe.

I want TRich to succeed. He seems like a good guy with a lot of tools and really seems to have a lot of the qualities of a top notch runner - except maybe two. Vision and lateral speed. He really reminds me of a larger version of Addai when he had similar problems - too much bouncing around east and west and not getting what you can n and s. I can't tell if those two issues are related to just the time lag associated with indecisiveness or not. I hope they are - that means it's something that can be improved through learning. 

But what do I know - I am just a broken down fat guy in a green robe.

Even in a post about the Defense someone still wants to talk Richardson.. Maybe we should gather all the Richardson discussions into one topic or something? :P

It would be interesting to know when coaches stopped stressing 'wrap up!' in pee wee through high school. I must have heard it a million times. I still have dreams about hanging on some guys ankles, who out weighed me by 40lbs, waiting for help to bring him down.

Your earlier comment about vanilla was right on. It was obvious watching at the game that there were on 'games' being played. Not that it's an excuse for getting rolled like that. If it happens during the season, we have reason to be concerned.

HA HA!  I remember my first pee wee game.  I was in the backfield every play from the LB spot and missed tackle after tackle.  My next pee wee practice I was wrapping up.  How hard is it?  :

I don't understand why Werner (our best pass rusher right now) kept getting dropped into coverage!?? 

Plus he put D'Qwell Jackson on Graham, and the then Colston......?!???????? 

Ron-Burgundy-Say-What-Anchorman-2.gif

That was completely insanity from Manusky. 

I almost head butted the TV when he was on Colston....Graham I can see....for about a second :)

I don't think Manusky is a bad DC overall but he is really, really bad on 3rd down play calling.  When he left SF they were the worst 3rd down defense in the NFL.  His alst year with the Chargers, they were the worst 3rd down defense in the NFL.

The trend seems to be heading that way for the Colts as well.

As far as the rest, yeah Brees, Graham and Colston are all great players, that is not an excuse for poor game planning and worse execution.  It's not like those three were invented by Stan Lee.