Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Roger Goodell is the worst Commish in sports

1yrdandacloudofdust

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do so many blame Goodell for everything? He is just a highly paid yes man for the owners. He gets paid to take all the heat when the owners are the ones who call the shots. You can be assured there is nothing being decided without the owners input. The owners pay his salary and all he is just a puppet for them. Money runs the NFL and all you have to do is follow the money and you will find out who runs things and is in charge.

Goodness gracious,  the NFL is "suffering" thru soaring ratings,  good attendance and incredible popularity.  They've practically run out of days of the week to put on their games.

Goodell has helped make the 32 owners rich beyond their wildest dreams.

Other sports envy what the NFL has.    They'd kill for the NFL's table scraps.

The NHL stands for the National Hockey League.

Not sure how he ruined it? If you talking about penalties, everyone preseason they focus in specific calls and call them more often.

When season starts they calm down. Happens every year! Just a little more this year.

That's what I'm reading..'B'

The rules people are trying to get DBs to stop grabbing and holding...

I do not believe the refs are going to call 25 penalities a game.

Why do so many blame Goodell for everything? He is just a highly paid yes man for the owners. He gets paid to take all the heat when the owners are the ones who call the shots. You can be assured there is nothing being decided without the owners input. The owners pay his salary and all he is just a puppet for them. Money runs the NFL and all you have to do is follow the money and you will find out who runs things and is in charge.

Thank you, CC..

Roger Godell codes make the rules and he doesn't make initial suspension calls,.

Media mouths and message board people believe he does but its simply not true..

Owners and the NFLPA are major factors

He has ruined a great gm. That is all

Which "gm" has he ruined? I mean that sentence could really be taken in the wrong way. :P

English language...use it, don't abuse it.

As for your postulation, that's what Goodell gets paid for, to be the face of the NFL ownership as a whole and to take the flak from *s, can't see him getting the boot anytime soon.

He has ruined a great gm. That is all

I think he is bad for a different reason. Mathis is out for four games immediately. Other players careers are over because of weed. Yet our drug addled owner who has had drinking and drug problems for years and got a DUI when he couldn't find his home is still around with no punishment levied yet. You saw what the NBA did to Donald Sterling. If owners were subject to the same rules as players (they should be held to a higher standard, not lower). Irsay would be history and the NFL would be the better for it. It is only a matter of time until is an outright embarrassment again in my opinion. I know this won't be a popular post but that is how I feel about our * owner.

I think he is bad for a different reason. Mathis is out for four games immediately. Other players careers are over because of weed. Yet our drug addled owner who has had drinking and drug problems for years and got a DUI when he couldn't find his home is still around with no punishment levied yet. You saw what the NBA did to Donald Sterling. If owners were subject to the same rules as players (they should be held to a higher standard, not lower). Irsay would be history and the NFL would be the better for it. It is only a matter of time until is an outright embarrassment again in my opinion. I know this won't be a popular post but that is how I feel about our * owner.

I'm embarassed for you, for having just compared Sterling to Irsay, and suggesting that what Jim did should equate to him being "history."

On a related note. Remember how every offseason the league is getting ruined? Like how the repositioning of refs was going to ruin the league? Or how RBs not being able to duck their heads was going to ruin the league?

Honestly, I'm suprised there are enough fans to justify having message boards with how ruined the league is.

Which "gm" has he ruined? I mean that sentence could really be taken in the wrong way. :P

English language...use it, don't abuse it.

As for your postulation, that's what Goodell gets paid for, to be the face of the NFL ownership as a whole and to take the flak from *s, can't see him getting the boot anytime soon.

Postu what? Im a Christian. This here is Merica, fancy pants. Not Anglish klass. I'm talkin about the great game of Football. Ain't nobody tryin to have a grammar lesson with your big fancy words. Merica!

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/file.php?40,file=129115,filename=1.gif

On a related note. Remember how every offseason the league is getting ruined? Like how the repositioning of refs was going to ruin the league? Or how RBs not being able to duck their heads was going to ruin the league?

Honestly, I'm suprised there are enough fans to justify having message boards with how ruined the league is.

I'm sorry, but what's occuring this year is unprecedented and alarming. The games are being RUINED by ticky-tack calls. This is invasive for the fans. 

Hand-fighting should be acceptable to a certain point, and what were getting is a total interruption of the games ebb 'n' flow due to over-enforcement. 

From a post I made at another website;

As a fan, I want some contact between the receiver and the defender. I want some hand fighting, some physicality when going for a ball mid-flight. I don't want holding, grasping or overt impediment of progress etc, but I think I speak for most fans when I say, it's more entertaining to watch your team being able to engage receivers to some extent. 

Whatever they need to do to clean this up and clearly define pass interference without penalizing minor hand to hand contact, they need to do it. Whatever they do, they need to be certain that they don't do what they're doing now. 

These games are almost unwatchable. I've seen numerous plays, I mean more than I can remember, where the defender makes a great play or turnover and it gets wiped because of extremely passive, silly hand touching. 

The NFL product being presented in the preseason is of drastically poor quality.Whatever they thought would happen, it ain't. This sucks, to be frank. The product the NFL is putting forward in the 2014 preseason is just terrible due to this "increased emphasis". 

I'm sorry, but what's occuring this year is unprecedented and alarming. The games are being RUINED by ticky-tack calls. This is invasive for the fans. ...

The NFL product being presented in the preseason is of drastically poor quality.

Can't argue with that last sentence. But it's always been that way.

As far as the tricky tack penalties, I'm willing to wait to see if they call them in the regular season before I get too upset.

I'm sorry, but what's occuring this year is unprecedented and alarming. The games are being RUINED by ticky-tack calls. This is invasive for the fans.

Hand-fighting should be acceptable to a certain point, and what were getting is a total interruption of the games ebb 'n' flow due to over-enforcement.

From a post I made at another website;

As a fan, I want some contact between the receiver and the defender. I want some hand fighting, some physicality when going for a ball mid-flight. I don't want holding, grasping or overt impediment of progress etc, but I think I speak for most fans when I say, it's more entertaining to watch your team being able to engage receivers to some extent.

Whatever they need to do to clean this up and clearly define pass interference without penalizing minor hand to hand contact, they need to do it. Whatever they do, they need to be certain that they don't do what they're doing now.

These games are almost unwatchable. I've seen numerous plays, I mean more than I can remember, where the defender makes a great play or turnover and it gets wiped because of extremely passive, silly hand touching.

The NFL product being presented in the preseason is of drastically poor quality.Whatever they thought would happen, it ain't. This sucks, to be frank. The product the NFL is putting forward in the 2014 preseason is just terrible due to this "increased emphasis".

Like I said. New year. Same doom and gloom.

When the refs had to be settled behind the offense before the ball could be snapped, everyone lost their minds. Came up frequently in the preseason. I haven't heard an issue about it since.

Same with RBs dropping their heads on contact. Came up in the preseason,"It's ruining the game for fans!!!!!!", didn't cause the game to stop. I can't even think of a time that was called last year.

The preseason isn't just a time to experiment for the teams. Officials want to set the tone, and start locking down calls with no real implications.

It's been 2 weeks of the preseason. Let's revisit this week one.

I think they are cleaning up pass interference and they're saying..no hand fighting beyond 5 yards..

...I thought Seattle got away with too much last year...

..and lets remember..the NFL does not care about offending fans with the entertainment value of the product because they've got partners in almost all media and they KNOW we wont stop watching

Can't argue with that last sentence. But it's always been that way.

As far as the tricky tack penalties, I'm willing to wait to see if they call them in the regular season before I get too upset.

I disagree. In over 36 years of watching the NFL, yes, I've seen the numerous experiments with new rules, new enforcements, instant replays (that was a circus)....but this feels different. 

Like I said. New year. Same doom and gloom.

When the refs had to be settled behind the offense before the ball could be snapped, everyone lost their minds. Came up frequently in the preseason. I haven't heard an issue about it since.

Same with RBs dropping their heads on contact. Came up in the preseason,"It's ruining the game for fans!!!!!!", didn't cause the game to stop. I can't even think of a time that was called last year.

The preseason isn't just a time to experiment for the teams. Officials want to set the tone, and start locking down calls with no real implications.

It's been 2 weeks of the preseason. Let's revisit this week one.

I'm sensing intent to change the landscape of the NFL passing game in a permanent and harmful manner. 

You can cite previous instances of certain parties getting too excited about previous preseason "experiments" and new rules implementations, but that doesn't mean jack squat. Because previous rule changes were quickly adapted to and did not present themselves as overtly harmful to the game, does not suggest that this, or other future implementations, will NOT be intrusive and destructive to the game. 

I am, myself, alarmed at the decision to further gimp the NFL's defensive product. I'm watching numerous big plays get wiped over nothing. Over and over again, pick 6 taken away due to putting a hand on the receivers chest, even though the receiver had his hands on the defender first. 

I'm sensing intent to change the landscape of the NFL passing game in a permanent and harmful manner.

You can cite previous instances of certain parties getting too excited about previous preseason "experiments" and new rules implementations, but that doesn't mean jack squat. Because previous rule changes were quickly adapted to and did not present themselves as overtly harmful to the game, does not suggest that this, or other future implementations, will NOT be intrusive and destructive to the game.

I am, myself, alarmed at the decision to further gimp the NFL's defensive product. I'm watching numerous big plays get wiped over nothing. Over and over again, pick 6 taken away due to putting a hand on the receivers chest, even though the receiver had his hands on the defender first.

So you prognosticating that the league is spiraling into a nonstop penalty fest is completely valid, but me citing other examples of fan overreaction, "means jack squat?"

Seems like a legit way to look at a dissenting opinion.

Also. Your overreacting means jack squat. This happens every year. The product will be the same when the regular season rolls around.

^Good call. That is a fun way of dealing with thoughts and ideas I don't agree with.

they are different policies. Irsay is going to be punished under the personal conduct policy which is much more open ended in terms of how punishment is handed out. The other is the PED policy which has it's punishments written into the collective bargaining agreement.

Also no player got kicked out of the league for life over weed. So your statement that players had their careers ended over weed is false. They get suspended for a year if they violate the policy three times. Yes a year long suspension might lead to a career being over but it it's self doesn't end your career. Josh Gordon currently faces the same year long suspension. You think his career is over after that? I doubt it and in fact I think he will be welcomed back to the Browns with open arms after the year is up.

With that said we all know it takes self discipline to play in the NFL and if your a guy like Brazil and you know you are fighting for a roster spot and you have failed two drug tests in the past including being suspended for four games at the start of last season over the same issue and you still can't put down the weed that's just making the Colts decision for them in terms of who to keep and who to cut. He said it himself last year when he said it was a choice of football and money or weed and he picked weed.

Last point, Roger Goodell has always made it a huge point when handing out punishments that he has power over (IE the personal conduct policy) to factor in how many times someone has violated that policy. This is Irsay first offense under it, often times when players violate it the first time they get a game or two depending on what they do. Irsay is rumored to get anywhere from three games to six games depending on eon you listen to. That is a harsher penalty than most get for a first offense under this policy thus it's a higher standard. It's when you see guys becoming repeat offenders of the personal conduct policy that those suspensions go up. If Irsay were to violate it again it would be a harsher sentence than a player would get for doing the samething twice and if needed a third time and so on and so on. Until it got tho the point where the other owners, who Goodell works for and represents, wanted Irsay out. While I am not sure if the NFL has a policy that would pretty much let owners vote another owner out like the NBA does if the owners wanted Irsay out bad enough they would find away.

So you prognosticating that the league is spiraling into a nonstop penalty fest is completely valid, but me citing other examples of fan overreaction, "means jack squat?"

Seems like a legit way to look at a dissenting opinion.

Also. Your overreacting means jack squat. This happens every year. The product will be the same when the regular season rolls around.

^Good call. That is a fun way of dealing with thoughts and ideas I don't agree with.

I didn't mean to be snarky when I said "Jack squat". I honestly only meant to say that past instances of preseason implementations/rule experiments do not necessarily equate to this particular instance. 

This does not happen every year. Never before in the vaunted history of the NFL has such an endeavor been undertaken to handcuff DB's. To that end, this is alarming for myself.

Why? Because if this was the new normal, if this did become the rule of the game, I'm not sure it's possible to cover NFL WR's with any semblance of consistency. I'm afraid that the NFL will become real life Madden, where teams chuck the ball deep downfield, 3 times in a row, knowing that either the receiver will catch it or the DB will touch him. 

I've seen numerous drives go inside the redzone this preseason that haven't had a run over 3 yards and haven't had even a single completed pass. That is a poor product IMO. 

Now, I always try to be objective, so I'll indulge in such at this time.

One positive to this variety of enforcement;

It provides consistency to the calls. The #1 complaint fans have after a game is to complain about inconsistent interference/defensive holding calls. We see some hand fighting, Sometimes it's called, many times it's not. The practice of calling pass interference has always been subjective to the officials individual discretion. With this new philosophy, fans would have no leg to stand on, no room to complain when the replay clearly shows that their teams DB had his hands on the receiver. 

My issue, my concern, is that the way I'm seeing this play out in the 2014 preseason, we're being treated to a considerably bad product. These games are terrible, and I only say that because of the constant whistles and interruptions, successful drives that only became successful due to numerous bail-out calls. 

I think they are cleaning up pass interference and they're saying..no hand fighting beyond 5 yards.....I thought Seattle got away with too much last year.....and lets remember..the NFL does not care about offending fans with the entertainment value of the product because they've got partners in almost all media and they KNOW we wont stop watching

like I've said for years the NFL doesn't care about fans and won't until fans stop watching and spending money on the NFL product in big numbers. Until they don't care if a fan gets mad because for every fan that gives up season tickets there are two or three people willing to buy them. (I am generalizing a little here.). Until that stops being the case in most NFL cities the fans voice is pretty much ignored.

My question is why do they keep changing rules after Peyton loses?

It has little to do with Peyton, personally, but much to do with what Peyton does. 

This is what the NFL wants. They want it to be commonplace for an NFL QB to throw 5, 6 even 7 TD's every game. They want the new single game TD passing record to be in the neighborhood of 10-12. They've been driving at this for years and years. And yes, the quality of the game has increased behind this pursuit. But one has to ponder how far they can follow this line before the quality suffers. 

This crap has nothing to do with Peyton losing, or an attempt to help "him" win". It does, however, have much to do with the way he wins. They want this in every game, and the only way to accomplish this is to gimp the hell out of DB's. 

I didn't mean to be snarky when I said "Jack squat". I honestly only meant to say that past instances of preseason implementations/rule experiments do not necessarily equate to this particular instance.

This does not happen every year. Never before in the vaunted history of the NFL has such an endeavor been undertaken to handcuff DB's. To that end, this is alarming for myself.

Why? Because if this was the new normal, if this did become the rule of the game, I'm not sure it's possible to cover NFL WR's with any semblance of consistency. I'm afraid that the NFL will become real life Madden, where teams chuck the ball deep downfield, 3 times in a row, knowing that either the receiver will catch it or the DB will touch him.

I've seen numerous drives go inside the redzone this preseason that haven't had a run over 3 yards and haven't had even a single completed pass. That is a poor product IMO.

Now, I always try to be objective, so I'll indulge in such at this time.

One positive to this variety of enforcement;

It provides consistency to the calls. The #1 complaint fans have after a game is to complain about inconsistent interference/defensive holding calls. We see some hand fighting, Sometimes it's called, many times it's not. The practice of calling pass interference has always been subjective to the officials individual discretion. With this new philosophy, fans would have no leg to stand on, no room to complain when the replay clearly shows that their teams DB had his hands on the receiver.

My issue, my concern, is that the way I'm seeing this play out in the 2014 preseason, we're being treated to a considerably bad product. These games are terrible, and I only say that because of the constant whistles and interruptions, successful drives that only became successful due to numerous bail-out calls.

I'm certainly aware that they aren't apples to apples comparisons. But you have to give the NFL credit for the product they put out in the regular season, in my opinion.

Despite fans predicting, and reacting, to the demise of the NFL when they tweak rules. They still manage to deliver a quality product. They aren't dumb.

I haven't watched every preseason game for every team this year, but the few I have seen have been fun. They're calling penalties now so they can be reviewed, and corrected. Now is the time. Instead of when these calls can actually effect something.

I also wasn't being snarky when I said let's revisit this when the regular season starts. Because if calls remain the same as the preseason then I will be concerned.

Roger Goodell has presided over a league that is the most popular league in the country, and probably the world.  Revenues are through the roof, more people are watching than ever, player salaries are higher than ever.  He is the best commissioner in sports.  And when I hear players criticizing him I ask why.  Players are making more money than ever before by a large margin and the game is safer than it ever has been.  As Colin Cowherd like to say "Goodell is not anti-player, he is anti-*".  Don't be a * and Roger Goodell will be the best boss you ever worked for.

like I've said for years the NFL doesn't care about fans and won't until fans stop watching and spending money on the NFL product in big numbers. Until they don't care if a fan gets mad because for every fan that gives up season tickets there are two or three people willing to buy them. (I am generalizing a little here.). Until that stops being the case in most NFL cities the fans voice is pretty much ignored.

The NFL is like any other business in the entire world.  They are trying to expand their brand and increase revenue.  If us sheep continue to give them money, they will keep coming back asking for more until fans stop giving it to them.  No business cares about their customers, they care about getting money from their customers.

I'm certainly aware that they aren't apples to apples comparisons. But you have to give the NFL credit for the product they put out in the regular season, in my opinion.

Despite fans predicting, and reacting, to the demise of the NFL when they tweak rules. They still manage to deliver a quality product. They aren't dumb.

I haven't watched every preseason game for every team this year, but the few I have seen have been fun. They're calling penalties now so they can be reviewed, and corrected. Now is the time. Instead of when these calls can actually effect something.

I also wasn't being snarky when I said let's revisit this when the regular season starts. Because if calls remain the same as the preseason then I will be concerned.

Exactly right. Those who think this is the way games will be called in the regular season are naive beyond words. We ain't building rockets here - it is plainly evident that they are flag happy in the preseason with the idea of pulling back once the regular season starts. I think once we get to the regular season, you will see something in the between what was called last year and what is being called in this preseason.