Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Very Upset about training camp schedules

Shepman

Looked up the starting time of camp last night. Got up this morning, grabbed the family, bought a couple footballs for them. Drove over an hour to camp and paid for parking got out and was told by some other upset fans the time was changed. Disappointed boy and girl and waste of money and time. Whoever is in charge of communication needs a new job and why didn't an alert get sent through the App? All of my experiences before this has been great but Colts really disappointed me today. Hopefully they read this and make changes as fans change schedules and invest money to make these trips. To make things worse even the local radio station just said camp opens today at 12:30.

It sucks for the fans, especially on saturdays which would be a big day for fans to come to camp. 

I'm sorry you wasted time/money and that your kids were disappointed, but these practices are not there for the fans. They are there for the players and if the coaches make a decision to change the time, then it's their choice and in their mind, for the benefit of the team. 

I got alerts on my app/twitter. I just wish I lived in Indy still so I could go to a practice or 3. 

Not trying to argue about it, but I disagree with part of your statement about training camp practices not being for the fans. If they weren't for the fans they would not be open practices and they wouldn't have the Colts City. Additionally they advertise multiple times about how it is a great opportunity for fans who can't attend/afford games.

Respectfully

Shepman

It sucks for the fans, especially on saturdays which would be a big day for fans to come to camp.

I'm sorry you wasted time/money and that your kids were disappointed, but these practices are not there for the fans. They are there for the players and if the coaches make a decision to change the time, then it's their choice and in their mind, for the benefit of the team.

I got alerts on my app/twitter. I just wish I lived in Indy still so I could go to a practice or 3.

Not trying to argue about it, but I disagree with part of your statement about training camp practices not being for the fans. If they weren't for the fans they would not be open practices and they wouldn't have the Colts City. Additionally they advertise multiple times about how it is a great opportunity for fans who can't attend/afford games.

Respectfully

Shepman

Just because it's something the fans can enjoy, and take a part in, doesn't mean it for them. It's for the players and the coaching staff.

Now I am just having fun with this topic. So football in general, is it for the fans or for the players and coaches?

I also got notice... You should always check before you get ready! But sorry for the wasted trip!

Now Shepman

It's really for the teams... It is their practice! It is where the teams get the season started! It's a big growing process for every team.

They don't have to let fans come and enjoy it but they do! For instance the Broncos havnt been able to have fans at theirs due to construction to the facilities. It's for the teams to get better and practice but it is a good experience for the fans as well. The fans are just a plus and the players say that the fans give them more energy.

It's a happy medium but training camp is for NFL teams to get better.

Man that stinks.  I guess check the night before to see if they change the schedule. I didn't even know they changed the times until I saw the one last Mon got changed to a morning practice.   I feel bad for you and think its nonsense they took your $5 for parking instead of telling u they changed the time.

They have camp open to the public for a reason and that's the fans.  They sell merchandise out the butt at training camp which is why they have them open to the public. 99% of the merchandise is footballs, mini helmets and photos for getting autographs after camp.  Andrew Luck, Pat McAfee and Matt Overton sign after nearly every practice so they obviously got the memo from the Colts about being fan friendly.

I got an alert through the Colts app, the Forum, & Twitter

Seems like you're the only one out the loop

I was out of the loop until they changed the time on Monday.  I almost went at the regular time until I stopped on this board and saw a post from bravo saying it got changed.  

Now I am just having fun with this topic. So football in general, is it for the fans or for the players and coaches?

If you want to be technical. It's for those who are participating in the sport, coaches and players. Because long before fans flocked to these activities. They existed.

Man that stinks. I guess check the night before to see if they change the schedule. I didn't even know they changed the times until I saw the one last Mon got changed to a morning practice. I feel bad for you and think its nonsense they took your $5 for parking instead of telling u they changed the time.

They have camp open to the public for a reason and that's the fans. They sell merchandise out the butt at training camp which is why they have them open to the public. 99% of the merchandise is footballs, mini helmets and photos for getting autographs after camp. Andrew Luck, Pat McAfee and Matt Overton sign after nearly every practice so they obviously got the memo from the Colts about being fan friendly.

Clearly being accessible to the fan base is a huge plus, but it's about tuning up for the season.

They wouldn't need to have fake fan practices to draw in fans. They could just do a "Colts meet and greet day!" And get the same affect.

Looked up the starting time of camp last night. Got up this morning, grabbed the family, bought a couple footballs for them. Drove over an hour to camp and paid for parking got out and was told by some other upset fans the time was changed. Disappointed boy and girl and waste of money and time. Whoever is in charge of communication needs a new job and why didn't an alert get sent through the App? All of my experiences before this has been great but Colts really disappointed me today. Hopefully they read this and make changes as fans change schedules and invest money to make these trips. To make things worse even the local radio station just said camp opens today at 12:30.

I am sorry to hear that you were unaware of the time change.  I know how disappointing this must have been for you, and your kids.

Unfortunately, do to weather and other unforeseen circumstances this does occasionally happen.  

Being allowed at training camp is a privilege. Teams are not obligated to let you come. (See: Denver Broncos) They can change the time at their own will. There was obviously plenty of notice sent out as several (myself included) found out about it through various ways. 

Yeah, it sucks, but they don't cater to your desires with training camp the way they do with games.

So Colts City and all of that merchandise and concessions are for the team?

So by your logic, the regular season games themselves, that fans can attend and buy merchandise and concessions, are for you, and not the players and coaches that have worked their entire lives to be in the NFL?

Just because fans can partake in something, and get something out of it themselves, doesn't make it for them.

So by your logic, the regular season games themselves, that fans can attend and buy merchandise and concessions, are for you, and not the players and coaches that have worked their entire lives to be in the NFL?

Just because fans can partake in something, and get something out of it themselves, doesn't make it for them.

The games are just as much for the fans as they are for the teams.  Why is the NFL always trying to increase the fan experience?  I guess the free WiFi in the stadium is for the players so they can tweet during games and the concessions are for the players to grab a snack and a beer between quarters.  The players are there for the millions that they are paid, and those millions are made possible because of the fans who shell out billions of dollars every year to attend games and watch games on TV.  The players wouldn't play this game for free. 

Training camp is traditionally for the team only but Irsay has made it about the fans too.  They invite the fans, charge the fans for parking, concessions, and merchandise.  They also have autograph sessions and activities for the children.  It is very fan-friendly atmosphere.  Irsay even came out and gave $100 bills away to the fans. 

So how can anyone say that training camp and games are only for the team?

The games are just as much for the fans as they are for the teams. Why is the NFL always trying to increase the fan experience? I guess the free WiFi in the stadium is for the players so they can tweet during games and the concessions are for the players to grab a snack and a beer between quarters. The players are there for the millions that they are paid, and those millions are made possible because of the fans who shell out billions of dollars every year to attend games and watch games on TV. The players wouldn't play this game for free.

Training camp is traditionally for the team only but Irsay has made it about the fans too. They invite the fans, charge the fans for parking, concessions, and merchandise. They also have autograph sessions and activities for the children. It is very fan-friendly atmosphere. Irsay even came out and gave $100 bills away to the fans.

So how can anyone say that training camp and games are only for the team?

You are out of your mind if you think games are for the fans, in the same way they are for the players. Being a spectator is being allowed to watch a world you could never participate in. Just because the fan isn't completely ignored. Doesn't make it about them.

They wouldn't play it for free now, but sports didn't originate from the all mighty dollar. There is a concept of loving the game. It still exists believe it or not.

Doesn't mean there isn't anything in it for the fans ,but the NFL fan experience is about money. Just because you are being sold something doesn't make it about you. The fact that you think that is honestly mind blowing.

Training camp is for the teams. Just because fans can come and interact and buy things, doesn't make it about them. But who on earth said it was ONLY about the teams? I certainly didn't. But if we are ranking why training camp happens. It isn't because of the fans. It's to prep for the upcoming season. Owners are just nice enough to invite the fans in to partake in that experience.

Doesn't mean there isn't anything in it for the fans ,but the NFL fan experience is about money. Just because you are being sold something doesn't make it about you. The fact that you think that is honestly mind blowing.

Thank you.......................

Teams make decisions in an attempt to make the team better....in an effort to get more wins both now....and in the future. Just because any one of their decisions that is made happens to align with the whining and moaning of a fan base, does not mean that fan feelings was EVER part of the decision (well, with Jerruh Jones I might have to make an exception). The concept that some fans feel their voice was heard and they are somehow vindicated makes me chuckle. 

If I ever found out the front office made decisions to appease fans that was in any way different from how they felt they could make the team better, I am done. 

Sucks that that happened to you and your kids. I hope you guys get back down and have the experience you were hoping for.

On a practical note, the team was expecting some thunder and lightning later in the day, in which case practice would have been cancelled anyways. So either way, you guys would have wasted a trip. Hope you can get more advance notice next time. 

Just because it's something the fans can enjoy, and take a part in, doesn't mean it for them. It's for the players and the coaching staff.

Why rub salt into the guys wounds?

I can't imagine anyone saying something like that to a persons face. 

You have made a good point, but it could use some classing up.

JMO.

I can understand your frustration

Not sure why they collected money for parking when there was no practice?

Anyhow the time change worked out for me.  When I heard it was in the am I scurried into action.  Got to see some practice and also saw Andrew Luck playing some kind of a game with Harnish.

They were facing each other and one would make a football move and the other would try to mimic that move as quickly as possible.

They were cracking each other and me up.

Weather was great.

Sorry again that you missed the announcement

Why rub salt into the guys wounds?

I can't imagine anyone saying something like that to a persons face.

You have made a good point, but it could use some classing up.

JMO.

So it was a good point, but I needed to be classier? Tips on how one might accomplish such a goal?