Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training Camp Thread 7/28

Bravo

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@HolderStephen: Best detail in there is Luck consulting w defenders after bad plays to see if he tipped them off. Not wasting any learning opportunites

This kid is gonna be great :colts:

Cool.

For anyone that was there today, was the defense just that good or was the offense just bad?

I don't think Rogers is eligible for the practice squad.  He made it onto the field in 5 regular season games, but I think he was on the active roster for several other games.  He was also active for our two playoff games, which I belief are also counted for PS eligibility considerations.

I think you are right

Cool.

For anyone that was there today, was the defense just that good or was the offense just bad?

It's hard to tell when it's good guys vs good guys but our offense looked way out of sorts today... Just didn't seem to have the energy and made plenty of mistakes that have our defense easy plays.

It's non-padded practice, you can't tell a running lane yet. When we go live, that's when you can tell cause a lineman can flatten a defender to OPEN a lane.

Cut the anxious ways down about 2 levels people, it'll all come together

They should still be able to open some stuff up when in shells... I know it's not full speed and when your in shells you for sure take it a little more easy and they arnt going to be drive blocking anyone but offensive lineman still should be able to open up a hole.....

It's our whole offense that needs some more work though not just o-line... There's a reason it's only the 1st week of camp! We WILL BE FINE as long as we stay healthy.

Cool.

Defense was that good. Locked down in 2 minute drills and red zone offense. Sergio read Luck's pass perfectly and easily picked it off as Luck stared down Nicks. Gordy also had a good day topped off with a great pass breakup.. I believe Howell picked off a Luck pass also.

Defense was that good. Locked down in 2 minute drills and red zone offense. Sergio read Luck's pass perfectly and easily picked it off as Luck stared down Nicks. Gordy also had a good day topped off with a great pass breakup.. I believe Howell picked off a Luck pass also.

Well we saw different things ;) like I said it's hard to tell good guys vs good guys...

Like you said luck stared nicks down which is bad by offense..

One pick when through Hilton hands up an fair right to a defender.

No receivers ever really got completely open which is good for defense but bad offense..

I think the defense just had more energy all day which is easier to do on defense I think.. Offense played slow and must I say....... Just plain bad. Still have plenty of practice left though

He would be PS eligible but with all the teams in need of receivers I just think someone would pick him up off waivers.  

Disappointed that he isn't further along at this point. 

Even if he were eligible for PS I don't think the Colts would place him there. At this point... he either gets traded for another player/pick or he gets cut.

Well we saw different things ;) like I said it's hard to tell good guys vs good guys...

Like you said luck stared nicks down which is bad by offense..

One pick when through Hilton hands up an fair right to a defender.

No receivers ever really got completely open which is good for defense but bad offense..

I think the defense just had more energy all day which is easier to do on defense I think.. Offense played slow and must I say....... Just plain bad. Still have plenty of practice left though

I agree. The offense did look slow and groggy with their route running which led to bad choices from Luck. I'd say we wait until pads are on to determine how defense vs offense plays out.

This is one that can't really be a winner.  If the O-line does open up running lanes, someone will say our defense sucks and Chapman needs to be benched.  If the D-Line stops them, someone will say Holmes, Thornton and Thomas suck.  So which do you want to hear?

I agree. The offense did look slow and groggy with their route running which led to bad choices from Luck. I'd say we wait until pads are on to determine how defense vs offense plays out.

Yeah I was really hoping for full pads today... They surprised me with the time change and the shells since yesterday I'm pretty sure they went full pads.

It's hard to tell when it's good guys vs good guys but our offense looked way out of sorts today... Just didn't seem to have the energy and made plenty of mistakes that have our defense easy plays.

Thanks guys.

This is one that can't really be a winner.  If the O-line does open up running lanes, someone will say our defense sucks and Chapman needs to be benched.  If the D-Line stops them, someone will say Holmes, Thornton and Thomas suck.  So which do you want to hear?

To some people, everything sucks, and that's exactly what they want to hear.

After the signing of Nicks and the drafting of Moncrief you would think that he would be aware that he's on the roster bubble and put in more effort.

That is the reason he isn't a starter in the NFL look at his combine numbers top performer in 5/7 categories. All the talent in the world yet goes undrafted. 

Weaknesses

Off-field maturity and on-field effort have been issues. Stops his route at times if not the primary target. Body language on the field can be defeating. Lacks great explosiveness to run by corners, no extra gear. Will struggle to track the football at times. Not a very instinctual receiver, doesn't always run the routes he should, doesn't fight to get open when the play breaks down.

Except for the speed his weaknesses are mainly effort and attitude.It typically takes WR 3 yrs to hit their ceiling. The quitting on plays is not a developmental thing that is just being lazy and multiple reports that he was not running out route's the first day of camp when the play wasn't coming to him is kind of crazy.  I was really hoping he would light it up this year. It's early hopefully it clicks but having Moncrief really makes it not that big of a deal if it doesn't. Maybe someone should tell him that. You gotta think he is 6th on the depth chart and falling. That will be a big problem if we only keep 5. I don't see how you keep him over Griff right now but it is still very early.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/darick-rogers?id=2540179

That is the reason he isn't a starter in the NFL look at his combine numbers top performer in 5/7 categories. All the talent in the world yet goes undrafted.

Weaknesses

Off-field maturity and on-field effort have been issues. Stops his route at times if not the primary target. Body language on the field can be defeating. Lacks great explosiveness to run by corners, no extra gear. Will struggle to track the football at times. Not a very instinctual receiver, doesn't always run the routes he should, doesn't fight to get open when the play breaks down.

Except for the speed his weaknesses are mainly effort and attitude.It typically takes WR 3 yrs to hit their ceiling. The quitting on plays is not a developmental thing that is just being lazy and multiple reports that he was not running out route's the first day of camp when the play wasn't coming to him is kind of crazy. I was really hoping he would light it up this year. It's early hopefully it clicks but having Moncrief really makes it not that big of a deal if it doesn't. Maybe someone should tell him that. You gotta think he is 6th on the depth chart and falling. That will be a big problem if we only keep 5. I don't see how you keep him over Griff right now but it is still very early.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/darick-rogers?id=2540179

I agree, but it wasn't multiple reports about him not going hard at the first practice. Not unless you call Josh Wilson repeating himself over and over "multiple reports." He's the only one I saw complaining about Rogers effort on day one...

If I had to make a choice , I would go with the defense stopping the run in practice. Like you say there is no winner here but I figured I would take a shot at answering the question. 

1) I'm sick of watching Colt teams that can't stop the run. Makes for a very aggravating game .. what's worse than watching a 11 minute 17 play drive against your D ?

2) We have Luck and a good receiving group. As long as we can protect Luck better than the last two years , we can win if the defense is good. Maybe we don't really need a dynamite running game ?

I agree, but it wasn't multiple reports about him not going hard at the first practice. Not unless you call Josh Wilson repeating himself over and over "multiple reports." He's the only one I saw complaining about Rogers effort on day one...

There have been reports by posters on here who attended practices   that he has been a roller coaster at camp so far drops, rounding off routes  that was my reference to multiple reports, I think the forum reports might be more informative at times. Either way come D getting going.

There have been reports by posters on here who attended practices that he has been a roller coaster at camp so far drops, rounding off routes that was my reference to multiple reports, I think the forum reports might be more informative at times. Either way come D getting going.

Oh yeah, people have reported that he's been less than amazing in practice. I thought you were talking about him not going hard in practice. I only saw that from Josh Wilson.

Overall, he's definitely lost stock since camp started. I agree with that, and it's annoying in this case because he's had a reputation of having a lax work ethic. He seemed to snap oit of it after the first practice, and now we're back to the raw but talented player who has a lot of upside but needs to improve before we can count on him.

If I had to make a choice , I would go with the defense stopping the run in practice. Like you say there is no winner here but I figured I would take a shot at answering the question. 

1) I'm sick of watching Colt teams that can't stop the run. Makes for a very aggravating game .. what's worse than watching a 11 minute 17 play drive against your D ?

2) We have Luck and a good receiving group. As long as we can protect Luck better than the last two years , we can win if the defense is good. Maybe we don't really need a dynamite running game ?

We have to be able to get off the field period on D. Last year was more of bend but don't break. I would love more 3 and outs.  I agree it starts by stopping the run and putting the offense in uncomfortable down and distance.  I think Jones is going to really help with that not only with his play but his fire that can be contagious.

I agree why not put the ball in Lucks hands spread them out to open up the D run it to keep them honest. I am not sure Pep is going to take that approach. 

It would be nice to have the ability to close out the game with some of those time consuming drives you are talking about. It all starts up front up front on both sides. The O Line has to improve. 10 days until the Jets then the fun begins.

I haven't heard much about qua cox....is he making any noise? Burley may beat him out for that roster spot

His name came up a few times in the rookie camp int returned for a td couple of other plays not much since camp has started. It is so hard to tell until we go full pads and start playing the preseason games. I would say as of today Burley is the guy making the most noise of the guys fighting for a spot.

The big news of the day in the NFL today seemed to be that Johnny Manziel wears his hat backwards. I can't wait until we start playing some games.

There have been reports by posters on here who attended practices   that he has been a roller coaster at camp so far drops, rounding off routes  that was my reference to multiple reports, I think the forum reports might be more informative at times. Either way come D getting going.

Without meaning any disrespect to anyone who attends practice,  the reports I pay most attention to are from the media guys...   the guys who are at every practice....   and not just 3 or 4.

The guys who follow football from a professional stand-point and are not just fans....

I appreciate the input from everyone,   but only being at a few practices is not the same as being at all of them....   the perspective is night and day....

Without meaning any disrespect to anyone who attends practice,  the reports I pay most attention to are from the media guys...   the guys who are at every practice....   and not just 3 or 4.

The guys who follow football from a professional stand-point and are not just fans....

I appreciate the input from everyone,   but only being at a few practices is not the same as being at all of them....   the perspective is night and day....

Man I am 3,000 miles away I appreciate any information I can get from any one at this point in time. All I hear about is Lynch and Manziel.

You changed your pick thought you disappeared.

Man I am 3,000 miles away I appreciate any information I can get from any one at this point in time. All I hear about is Lynch and Manziel.

I'm 2,000 miles away,  so I also appreciate all the information.

I don't want anyone to post their camp observations any less because of me.    I'm only saying when it comes to how much stock I put into something,  I'll take the professional over the fan...   again,  no disrespect intended to anyone.

My pick changed a few weeks back.....    but I don't disappear.

That said, I'll be leaving on a 10 day vacation Friday.....   the first for my wife and I in 6-years.    So, I don't expect to post much (if at all) while I'm gone....

I'm 2,000 miles away,  so I also appreciate all the information.

I don't want anyone to post their camp observations any less because of me.    I'm only saying when it comes to how much stock I put into something,  I'll take the professional over the fan...   again,  no disrespect intended to anyone.

My pick changed a few weeks back.....    but I don't disappear.

That said, I'll be leaving on a 10 day vacation Friday.....   the first for my wife and I in 6-years.    So, I don't expect to post much (if at all) while I'm gone....

Wow where you guys at?  I live on the Northern side of Indiana which is about 120 miles away and I often feel a bit far away from the team.  

However to be fair I do think in the future I'll be able to make it to camp when the kid(s) are a little older.

This is all of course the negatives of being a fan of a small market team that doesn't have any real "media personalities" on it.  If you want the Colts to get wall to wall coverage . . . you should get Grigs to bring Tebow into camp. 

I'm 2,000 miles away, so I also appreciate all the information.

I don't want anyone to post their camp observations any less because of me. I'm only saying when it comes to how much stock I put into something, I'll take the professional over the fan... again, no disrespect intended to anyone.

My pick changed a few weeks back..... but I don't disappear.

That said, I'll be leaving on a 10 day vacation Friday..... the first for my wife and I in 6-years. So, I don't expect to post much (if at all) while I'm gone....

I'm sure no one thinks your disrespecting them... Like me and many others we only got 3 or 4 days like you said. Obviously anyone who goes everyday and is a professional will know more.. That is their job to do so. Plus those media passes let you in on a whole new aspect of camp.

I feel that since I'm only 45 minutes away from Anderson and 30 minutes away from Indy that I might as well take advantage of it and post things for every member that can't make it to camp due to distance. I like to post things that are going on in camp becuase when I'm not there I like to know what's happening.

Me and other posters usually give our opinions but we can also give quick posts about pads, injuries ect... Other forum members also usually have a good amount of questions and we do our best to answer them!

Of course I only go about 3 days like you said but I like looking in here on days that I do not attend to see what's going on. I don't blame you for not wanting fans info because trust me sitting in the stand at training camp some people have NO idea wha they are talking about.. You hear people say all kind of things that are simply NOT EVEN CLOSE to true and I'm amazed that some people there really have no idea what they are talking about, but usually many of these forum members know a good amount about the Colts and can give some good info.

Plus media (espn is the worst) just like to talk about their favorite players. Which gets annoying quick and I'm not sure how you deal with that! haha

Wow where you guys at?  I live on the Northern side of Indiana which is about 120 miles away and I often feel a bit far away from the team.  

However to be fair I do think in the future I'll be able to make it to camp when the kid(s) are a little older.

This is all of course the negatives of being a fan of a small market team that doesn't have any real "media personalities" on it.  If you want the Colts to get wall to wall coverage . . . you should get Grigs to bring Tebow into camp. 

I'm in Los Angeles.    Or, about 45 minutes NW of Downtown LA.

Turns out there's a number of us here in So. Cal.

If I had to put a number on it,  I'd guess roughly 10 people who are on this website also live in So. Cal.

I know it surprised me when I found that out!      :thmup:

If I had to put a number on it,  I'd guess roughly 10 people who are on this website also live in So. Cal.

Makes me wonder how you all became Colts fans. . . did you used to live in the area or are people who where fans of AL following him to Indy?

I was a Colt's fan partially because they are in my home state and partially because during the Polian years they gave a lot of players from Iowa (my favorite college team) a shot.

Of course I didn't start paying close attention until AL was drafted.  It helped a bit that the roster was redone completely which made it easier as I would be following a team that no one knew much about as opposed to a team with a roster of players who had been there for years. 

Makes me wonder how you all became Colts fans. . . did you used to live in the area or are people who where fans of AL following him to Indy?

I'm a long-time Stanford fan.    When the Colts drafted Andrew Luck,  I became a fan.

Coincidentally,   before the drafting of Luck,   I liked what I read about Grigson and Pagano when each was hired.    Which made liking the Colts even easier!

And the more I've learned about Indianapolis and the great state of Indiana,  I've become an even bigger fan.

So,  it's been a very nice first two years (plus) as a fan!    

Huntington Beach here.