Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson Swings For Fences

lennymoore24

Something I love about Grigson is that I think with players he swings for the fences.  Meaning, it seems he would rather take a chance on a high upside guy who can flame out versus a borderline player who might contribute but never be anything more than that.  So I think he will have his share of misses.  But it is worth it if the hits are above average.  For example, I have a feeling about Erik Swoope that he is going to be a very good NFL TE.  Why?  Not only does he have the physical skills but listen to the guy talk.  He is very smart and works his butt off.  Obviously, Freeman has been a great signing.  McNary has been better than what was expected, I think.  So I know Grigson gets ripped a bit on the 2013 draft because the bottom end of the draft didn't do anything.  I think it again comes down to him looking for that diamond or bust attitude.

I know we haven't seem them play, but I think the 2014 draft is going to be a very good draft for the Colts.  I think the first 4 picks will all be very good players.  Just not sure about John.

I think Bill Polian is a HOF talent evaluator.  But I did get tired of guys like Bernard Whittington and Kenyunta Dawson being on the roster.  They were never good enough to be anything more then a roster spot.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something I love about Grigson is that I think with players he swings for the fences.  Meaning, it seems he would rather take a chance on a high upside guy who can flame out versus a borderline player who might contribute but never be anything more than that.  So I think he will have his share of misses.  But it is worth it if the hits are above average.  For example, I have a feeling about Erik Swoope that he is going to be a very good NFL TE.  Why?  Not only does he have the physical skills but listen to the guy talk.  He is very smart and works his butt off.  Obviously, Freeman has been a great signing.  McNary has been better than what was expected, I think.  So I know Grigson gets ripped a bit on the 2013 draft because the bottom end of the draft didn't do anything.  I think it again comes down to him looking for that diamond or bust attitude.

I know we haven't seem them play, but I think the 2014 draft is going to be a very good draft for the Colts.  I think the first 4 picks will all be very good players.  Just not sure about John.

I think Bill Polian is a HOF talent evaluator.  But I did get tired of guys like Bernard Whittington and Kenyunta Dawson being on the roster.  They were never good enough to be anything more then a roster spot.

Absolutely love this post, very well thought out. Grigson is the type of guy that can definitely hit on the first 4-5 rounds of a draft every time, but will go balls to the walls in the last two hoping to get that awesome diamond in the rough (as he puts it). We had the base draft of this team to build off of in 2012. That will carry us for a long time. 2013 was top heavy and an all or nothing draft. Our bottom 3 picks are off the team, but our first 4 (Werner, Thorton, Holmes and Hughes) will be starters this year. The 2014 was rough for us, but I would bet money that Mewhort and especially Moncrief will be hits. The other three are debatable from my view, but I have limited info on them as most of you probably do at this point before training camp.

We should all be very happy we are in the position we are in, with the GM we have, and the leaders and high character guys we have. Once in a while there is a bad apple in the bunch (Lavon Brazill), but we are a great team and when you look at some of the disasters in the NFL even right now (Browns, Dolphins). We can be very happy with what we have.

I mean he was safe with Eric Walden... Walden is just an average guy.

The thing is people complain about him/Colts paying players high salaries but he gets people to come here and that's what matters! Moves in te offseason are exciting and if you make the correct ones make your team better, which is why I like Grigson and co.

Also I like how the Colts are constantly making moves from practice squad to game day roster, it shows that they are actually looking at guys and how they are playing/practicing! Has to give the practice guys some hope and the roster players a little extra step.

So far so good for Grigson and Co.

This seems a vast improvement over the last regime...which never seemed to bring in talent outside of the draft. Anyone who was brought in seemed to be for very minimal payroll and contributed minimal talent. Outside of Vinatieri that is...

if you compare him to Chris Polian sure. Grigson has a long way to go to catch Bill though. It didn't end well for Bill (it normally doesn't end well in the NFL) but the job Polian did from 98 to 2010 was pretty hard to beat. He took over one of the worst teams in football over the past 20 years or so before he arrived and built a team that went to the playoffs 11 of the 14 years he was here including nine straight seasons. Seven straight years of 12 wins or more. Eight division titles. A team they went to three conference title games, two Super Bowls and won a championship. That's not a bad run and that's not including his Bills or Panthers days.

No question Poilian is an arrogant jerk but he was also darn good at his job. Grigson is off to a very good start but it's going to take more than two playoff seasons, a division title, and a playoff win to surpass Polian regardless of how people may feel about him as a person.

Also look Polian's early teams here he played the free agency game up till Peyton started getting his big contracts and he had less money to play it will. We will see what Grigson does once he has to pay his 2012 draft class new contracts and has to figure out how to handle vets like Wayne and Mathis (two Polian hold overs who are still two of the better guys on the team btw) whose deals will be up around then too. My guess is he will also have far less to spend in free agency. That's how it goes in the NFL when you stink you don't keep your players so you have money to spend. When you are good you spend most of your money to keep your own because your own is better than what's out there a lot of the time.

Still there are times you go get guys and yes Polian would do that. AV is a clear example but he also went after Simon and McFarland who both helped sure up the middle of the D. One being a major reason why we won a Super Bowl. He also brought in Stokley who was a major player on our offense for a few seasons. There was Reagor who wasn't great but solid till he pretty much had his career ended by a car accident. He spent money early on on guys like Bradzke, Poole, Burris, Ismail, and Chota. I am not going to pretend like they were great players. They were not. However, just like Grigson is doing now when Polian had the money to spend on players in free agency he spent it.

Also he had several good undrafted free agents. Rhodes, Vandy, Saturday, Brackett, and Bullitt were all good players for us at various points over Polian's time here.

I will say the one difference I see between the way Grigson and Polian run their teams is Grigson is willing to trade more than Bill was. As we saw with the Richardson trade last year that's not always a good thing.

..... Grigson is the type of guy that can definitely hit on the first 4-5 rounds of a draft every time,....

I like a lot of what Grigson has done, but there is not nearly enough evidence to even come close to supporting this statement.

I would rather swing for the fence than play small ball.

Agreed. History will judge the Richardson deal. How, we have no idea yet. But that pull of the trigger exemplifies Grigson's philosophy of aggressive team-building. 

Absolutely love this post, very well thought out. Grigson is the type of guy that can definitely hit on the first 4-5 rounds of a draft every time,

Waaaaay overstated. No GM will have that kind of success - ever.

I mean he was safe with Eric Walden... Walden is just an average guy.

The thing is people complain about him/Colts paying players high salaries but he gets people to come here and that's what matters! Moves in te offseason are exciting and if you make the correct ones make your team better, which is why I like Grigson and co.

Also I like how the Colts are constantly making moves from practice squad to game day roster, it shows that they are actually looking at guys and how they are playing/practicing! Has to give the practice guys some hope and the roster players a little extra step.

So far so good for Grigson and Co.

Totally agree.  He's always tweaking the bottom of the roster, and those guys will eventually get in a game at some point.

I don't know if anyone has the numbers, but it would be interesting to see how the Colts compare to other teams when it comes to roster moves.  Sure, a lot are about injuries, but a lot are also about trying to get better at positions.

I see you guys are tearing me up on a statement I made about Grigson hitting on the first 4-5 rounds. Well he hasn't done a bad job there. The closest guy to a bust is Bjoern Werner and he was behind Mathis and injured last year, so he can hardly be called a bust. The 2012 class stepped up in rounds 1-5 since Grigson took over. The 2013 draft class is getting their chance this year (Werner at OLB, Thorton at G, Holmes at C and Hughes at DT). We probably won't use the 2014 draft class much, but I'm guessing those 3 picks in the first 5 rounds should work out well. We've heard nothing but good things about Mewhort and Moncrief, and Newsome is the only wild card. It is overstated to say he will automatically hit on the early rounds as most GM's do more often than the later ones "Raiders cough", but Grigs is a lot less prone to picking busts in the first 5 rounds of drafts than most GM's and I stick by that.

One thing I can definitely see in the first 3 years projecting into the future is that our special teams that was awful for most of the Polian era will be much improved because of Grigson finding those guys that play very good roles on special teams. Plus the fact that those last 5 or 6 spots of the roster being tweaked constantly to find us those role players leads me to believe it will continue to be an ongoing thing i.e. good special teams play.

As far as hitting on draft picks and free agents on offense and defense, the results driven business will judge Grigson eventually.

I think Grigson is great at finding diamonds in the rough when looking in the cracks where nobody else takes the time to look. 

The sample size of his drafts are too small to really give a good representation yet, but I don't feel like Grigson has nailed the draft process yet (as far as the way the board falls to him) just yet. I think he still has a little work to do on that, but I think he'll get better. I also question his O-Line talent spotting as well.....which is peculiar because he was a former O-lineman. 

*The first draft doesn't really count, because having the first pick of every round shouldn't be too hard to hit on most of those players.* 

Overall, I think Grigs is a great GM and I'm glad Irsay picked him for the job. 

It's interesting to watch Telesco with the Chargers to see how the two stack up against each other. 

Sigh...   you need to do a lot of homework...    Polian built the really good Colt teams with a lot of late round picks and UDFA

Mathis, Beathea, Brackett, Saturday..    FA pick up, ...    Polian made it happen dude.     don't kid yourself.       

Uncle Bill did take risks...       Simon,  Johnson, and many more...   and when the blew it ...     Gone.

Grigs is the real deal IMO...   but he needs to start holding onto draft picks......No comparison so far.. for obvious reasons.  

If Luck is not the QB of this team...   Grigs may be fired already?   Think about it...

if you compare him to Chris Polian sure. Grigson has a long way to go to catch Bill though. It didn't end well for Bill (it normally doesn't end well in the NFL) but the job Polian did from 98 to 2010 was pretty hard to beat. He took over one of the worst teams in football over the past 20 years or so before he arrived and built a team that went to the playoffs 11 of the 14 years he was here including nine straight seasons. Seven straight years of 12 wins or more. Eight division titles. A team they went to three conference title games, two Super Bowls and won a championship. That's not a bad run and that's not including his Bills or Panthers days.

No question Poilian is an arrogant jerk but he was also darn good at his job. Grigson is off to a very good start but it's going to take more than two playoff seasons, a division title, and a playoff win to surpass Polian regardless of how people may feel about him as a person.

Also look Polian's early teams here he played the free agency game up till Peyton started getting his big contracts and he had less money to play it will. We will see what Grigson does once he has to pay his 2012 draft class new contracts and has to figure out how to handle vets like Wayne and Mathis (two Polian hold overs who are still two of the better guys on the team btw) whose deals will be up around then too. My guess is he will also have far less to spend in free agency. That's how it goes in the NFL when you stink you don't keep your players so you have money to spend. When you are good you spend most of your money to keep your own because your own is better than what's out there a lot of the time.

Still there are times you go get guys and yes Polian would do that. AV is a clear example but he also went after Simon and McFarland who both helped sure up the middle of the D. One being a major reason why we won a Super Bowl. He also brought in Stokley who was a major player on our offense for a few seasons. There was Reagor who wasn't great but solid till he pretty much had his career ended by a car accident. He spent money early on on guys like Bradzke, Poole, Burris, Ismail, and Chota. I am not going to pretend like they were great players. They were not. However, just like Grigson is doing now when Polian had the money to spend on players in free agency he spent it.

Also he had several good undrafted free agents. Rhodes, Vandy, Saturday, Brackett, and Bullitt were all good players for us at various points over Polian's time here.

I will say the one difference I see between the way Grigson and Polian run their teams is Grigson is willing to trade more than Bill was. As we saw with the Richardson trade last year that's not always a good thing.

Wayne is in contract year now and Mathis next year. I can't beige that Wayne will warrant a big contract is he decides to keep playing at age 36. Mathis will be 35 at the end of his deal next year. This one will probably be a little tricky if Mathis shows no signs of slowing down this year. But you would think he'll be in the "twilight" of his career looking at his next contract. 

Also: 

Drafting Manning helped Polian immensely. 

Just like drafting Luck will help Grigson immensely.

yep drafting good players generally helps you as a GM. I've never understood why people try to pretend like drafting Peyton Manning doesn't count for Polian or try to knock his success because he had Peyton Manning. He's the guy who brought him here he gets credit for that. Another GM could have just as easily drafted Ryan Leaf. Just like Grigson gets credit for drafting Luck (notice no one tried to take credit away from Grigson because he has Luck) someone else might have fallen in love RG3. When you look back on it for both guys their first decision was to figure out which franchise QB to draft and they both nailed it. Their first decision was probably the most important one they had to make while here in term of their success. They both get credit for it.

To be honest, I'm actually someone who has been very critical of the moves Grigs has made.  As we remember from the Peyton days, a great QB can cover up for a lot and make the guys around him better.  Luck has shown he does that as well.  It's still too early to give an accurate analysis of Grigson, but many of his moves have left me scratching my head. 

The examples given, to me, resemble Nothing as to swinging for the fences.

They signed McNary to be a fullback! chuckle

And as usual, lmao all day long at the Gomers here that expect so much out of Rookies. Even most 2nd year players.

Plenty of 3rd and 4th year players drafted high are still no more than average starters to just rotational players, or gone.

I see Grigsons player search going for Love of the game, willing to work hard, good character, intelligent ,with a desire to succeed people.

Thornton was pretty bad last season. But the kind of guy that by the end of year 3, has great potential to be Really good.

And I expect M Hughes to become VG. Xavier Nixon has his position coach enthused. Our much Doubted Center, will become a STUD!!!!

That we play in a STINK Division, will continue to Mask that we have a ways to go to have a really Stout Roster. Just a lot of younguns who need another year or two of experience together "in the System". 
  I will Gladly take our last 3 drafts thinking towards Player Developement. 

How many caught that 14 of our signed UDFA`s were on our draftboard? Guys they would like for our System/Culture. :thmup: 

Sigh...   you need to do a lot of homework...    Polian built the really good Colt teams with a lot of late round picks and UDFA

Mathis, Beathea, Brackett, Saturday..    FA pick up, ...    Polian made it happen dude.     don't kid yourself.       

Uncle Bill did take risks...       Simon,  Johnson, and many more...   and when the blew it ...     Gone.

Grigs is the real deal IMO...   but he needs to start holding onto draft picks......No comparison so far.. for obvious reasons.  

If Luck is not the QB of this team...   Grigs may be fired already?   Think about it...

Chuckle. You mention a few late rounders and FA successes, like EVERY Team has.

Lets talk the hoard of draft Busts and mediocrity 1st. The crud that playing in a wuss Division and the weaker Conference helped cover up until Playoff time. One & Done 7 out of 11 shots baby!!!

And as usual, lmao all day long at the Gomers here that expect so much out of Rookies. Even most 2nd year players.

Plenty of 3rd and 4th year players drafted high are still no more than average starters to just rotational players, or gone.

I see Grigsons player search going for Love of the game, willing to work hard, good character, intelligent ,with a desire to succeed people.

Thornton was pretty bad last season. But the kind of guy that by the end of year 3, has great potential to be Really good.

And I expect M Hughes to become VG. Xavier Nixon has his position coach enthused. Our much Doubted Center, will become a STUD!!!!

That we play in a STINK Division, will continue to Mask that we have a ways to go to have a really Stout Roster. Just a lot of younguns who need another year or two of experience together "in the System". 

How many caught that 14 of our signed UDFA`s were on our draftboard? Guys they would like for our System/Culture. :thmup: 

Whaaa? 

Linebacker from day 1 BBZ....

Thornton wasn't that bad. Especially in that playoff game against the Chiefs. He dominated their tackles with ease.

yep drafting good players generally helps you as a GM. I've never understood why people try to pretend like drafting Peyton Manning doesn't count for Polian or try to knock his success because he had Peyton Manning. He's the guy who brought him here he gets credit for that. Another GM could have just as easily drafted Ryan Leaf. Just like Grigson gets credit for drafting Luck (notice no one tried to take credit away from Grigson because he has Luck) someone else might have fallen in love RG3. When you look back on it for both guys their first decision was to figure out which franchise QB to draft and they both nailed it. Their first decision was probably the most important one they had to make while here in term of their success. They both get credit for it.

I will give Polian a little credit for picking Manning over Leaf, because that situation was slightly murkier.  Grigson doesn't get any credit for Luck ....come on ... Indy was taking Luck no matter who had gotten the job at GM.  The "someone else who might have fallen in love with RG3" still would have drafted Luck because Irsay was making that pick. Most any slightly knowledgeable fan would have chosen Luck, there was never any real "decision" to be made. No matter how much the media tried to make everyone believe that there was at the time. 

Well, it is my strong belief that were a team to be left to the braintrust of armchair GM's on this board...or any other teams board for that matter, the thing would be a dumpster fire in two years. Both Polian and Grigson have made decisions that take into account so much more than stats and visual clues.

1. McNary has always been LB.  I think you're mixing him up with Mario Harvey

2. Good character guys?  Really?  Good character does not seem to be an emphasis of Grigson's

Well, it is my strong belief that were a team to be left to the braintrust of armchair GM's on this board...or any other teams board for that matter, the thing would be a dumpster fire in two years. Both Polian and Grigson have made decisions that take into account so much more than stats and visual clues.

The "armchair GM" thing is an old and tired cliche.... I am not saying I don't like the job Grigson has done overall so far.  I like most of the moves he has made, and love how he is constantly churning the bottom of the roster and looking outside the box for talent.  But the pedestal some are putting him on is ridiculous ... he has made his share of mistakes and does not have enough drafts under his belt to be anointing him as some "draft guru" yet.

Declaring him a bust already?  Nice

He certainly has been so far, don't 'cha think? 

A 1st round defender should have contributed something by now, and I saw nothing in the way of instinct or NFL caliber ability last year. With Mathis out, I hope he steps up. As far as Grigson is concerned; I think it's fair and objective to state that Werner and Richardson stand to hold a tremendous amount of potential to be seen as Grigson flops. 

History will be the judge of all that. I'm just giving my prediction. 

I was surprised when I read it.. but in the IndyStar article about McNarry it says...

"There, said Grigson, who signed McNary as a fullback prospect..."

I'd say the IndyStar got that one wrong.....

Someone there should've caught that.    Don't recall ever reading that anywhere here on Colts.com.....

It's hard to consider it 'swinging for the fences' when you sign guys as UDFAs, just as it's hard to consider it a 'miss' when those guys flame out. The offseason roster is composed of 90 guys, half of which arrive in the same fashion; undrafted, unheralded, and unappreciated. It is only logical that some of them are going to actually stick and make an impact. Every once in a while you can find one that makes a really big impact. Every single team has a Jerrell Freeman who fans think is sooo underrated, should be in the pro bowl, and count their lucky stars that THEIR GM had the foresight to sign such a diamond in the rough player.

I will give Polian a little credit for picking Manning over Leaf, because that situation was slightly murkier.  Grigson doesn't get any credit for Luck ....come on ... Indy was taking Luck no matter who had gotten the job at GM.  The "someone else who might have fallen in love with RG3" still would have drafted Luck because Irsay was making that pick. Most any slightly knowledgeable fan would have chosen Luck, there was never any real "decision" to be made. No matter how much the media tried to make everyone believe that there was at the time. 

Disagree he drafted him he gets credit for drafting because had all the experts been wrong and had Luck not been good or had RG3 been better you can bet he would have gotten the blame.  That's the double standard fans have they refuse to give people credit for making the right decision but if they make the wrong one they hold their feet to the fire over it for years to come. 

Also, for someone who was here during the whole Luck/RG3 thing RG3 had more than his fair share of supports among Colts fans as well as experts.  It's not unrealistic to think that had Irsay hired someone else the Colts could have drafted RG3. 

Also, rather fans feel it was an easy decision or not our job doesn't depend on getting it right.  One of Grigson's first major decisions as GM was to pick the guy who was going to replace Peyton Manning (gee no pressure there) and probably decide on the guy who was going to play the biggest role in if Grigson was still going to have a job or not in three of four years and because he got it right people don't want to give him credit for it.  Give me a break. 

Disagree he drafted him he gets credit for drafting because had all the experts been wrong and had Luck not been good or had RG3 been better you can bet he would have gotten the blame.  That's the double standard fans have they refuse to give people credit for making the right decision but if they make the wrong one they hold their feet to the fire over it for years to come. 

Also, for someone who was here during the whole Luck/RG3 thing RG3 had more than his fair share of supports among Colts fans as well as experts.  It's not unrealistic to think that had Irsay hired someone else the Colts could have drafted RG3. 

Also, rather fans feel it was an easy decision or not our job doesn't depend on getting it right.  One of Grigson's first major decisions as GM was to pick the guy who was going to replace Peyton Manning (gee no pressure there) and probably decide on the guy who was going to play the biggest role in if Grigson was still going to have a job or not in three of four years and because he got it right people don't want to give him credit for it.  Give me a break. 

He drafted exactly who Irsay told him to draft, and anyone Irsay hired was making the same pick.  If you don't think Irsay made the Luck decision you are delusional.  I refuse to give Grigson credit for making the pick he was told to make, and the pick 99% of football fans would have made. The only heat he was going to take if Luck failed was from the media to create controversy for the sake of viewers.

I don't know what board you were reading, but Luck was the the forum favorite by a landslide.  I guess you missed the whole "suck for Luck" thing that was all over every football board including this one. Everyone knew who was going with the first pick, the only way we were taking RG3 is if Luck had suffered some catastrophic career ending injury prior to the draft.  

I will give credit where its due .... he did an amazing job with the rest of the 2012 draft, but he deserves no credit for Luck.