Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The 4th/5th running back on the roster

ColtsHoosiersBB

So what you guys are saying is that all of out RB's 1-5 are all power backs for the most part?

I have heard a lot about Herron, could he be the sleeper RB that just tears it up this year?

I don't remember the guy last year, he didn't make a lasting impression on me.

you didnt see him on STs then

Didn't pay much attention to any individual player on ST's other than they as a unit looked

pretty good last year. Was happy with the way they stopped teams around the 20 for

the most part.

he recovered a fumble on ST completely turned the game in our favor

So what you guys are saying is that all of out RB's 1-5 are all power backs for the most part?

I have heard a lot about Herron, could he be the sleeper RB that just tears it up this year?

He had a few garbage time runs. Had some big gains.

He was a stud at Ohio State, overshadowed by Pryor. He was suspended for five games his senior year, but still had nearly 700 yards and a 5 yard average.

He never had a shot with the Bengals. I truly believe he's every bit as good as Ballard.

There is Chris Rainey fastest time at the combine was a 4.28 has experience as a KR/PR as well. He is definataly not a power back. I included the link for his 40 times.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=71439&draftyear=2012&genpos=RB

He was a stud at Ohio State, overshadowed by Pryor. He was suspended for five games his senior year, but still had nearly 700 yards and a 5 yard average.

He never had a shot with the Bengals. I truly believe he's every bit as good as Ballard.

Now you have my attention. :eek: I'm a Ballard fan, the guy just runs hard.

Unless one establishes himself a legit return man with us having a fullback I don't see us keeping a fourth of fifth back at least past the pre-season. 

With all of our top 3 RB's healing up injuries over the off season, I just hope we can stash a couple

really good backups somewhere so they don't get snatched up by other teams. I'm gonna hold my

breath every time we hand the ball off this year. :barf:

I know this won't be popular, but, I liked how Zurlon Tipton ran in college.  I watched some Central Michigan games, and he always stood out to me.  Not the fastest cat, but he ran hard and not very many arm tackles brought him down..

I know this won't be popular, but, I liked how Zurlon Tipton ran in college.  I watched some Central Michigan games, and he always stood out to me.  Not the fastest cat, but he ran hard and not very many arm tackles brought him down..

Nothing unpopular about liking a guy that runs hard, although he is going to need some speed to

make an NFL roster.

I agree with you100% I am interested to see him in the pre season I am not so sure Ballard is the lock some think he is and Bradshaw that neck injury makes me nervous we will see what happens in pads. Ballard could end up PUP he is having problems with the knee still.

We will see in July

Nothing unpopular about liking a guy that runs hard, although he is going to need some speed to

make an NFL roster.

Ballard only ran a 4.65 coming out Tiptons 4.7 isn't far behind plus some guys just go faster when the lights are on could be one of those rare guys with football speed stop watch doesn't always tell the story.

I think Tipton is a lock for our practice squad -- and I think a lot of how our RB situation turns out will be based on our WR situation and FB situation.

Mario Harvey is getting a lot of reps at FB and it sounds like he is doing very well.  He has shown he can be a very solid special teamer and a decent LB.  If we keep him as our FB and release Havili (not saying this will happen) I think it gives us the option to keep a 4th RB because Harvey is so versatile, whereas if we keep Havili who doesn't play special teams, it seems like a true FB with 4 RB is a bit overload.

I think Wayne, TY, Nicks, Moncreif are locks to make this team.  I am not sure if we will carry 5 or 6 WRs (I highly doubt we will carry 7).  Anyway, that leaves Rogers, Brazzill, and Whalen to battle for 1 or 2 spots.  Depending on how this situation turns out, we may or may not have a steady KR/PR on our team (if we keep Brazzill or Whalen, chances are coaches will trust them to return punts or kicks).  However, if we only keep Rogers or if the coaches are uncomfortable with Brazzill or Whalen as the primary return man, I think Rainey's chances to make this team improve dramatically. 

Personally, I would like to see Rainey stay healthy and make this team -- he can play a similar role to D. Brown as a speedy change of pace back and that should compliment the power of T. Rich and Bradshaw quite well and I think the team agrees that he has potential to be a very dynamic return man (I am pretty sure that is a big part of the reason we brought him on later last year in the first place).  I agree with Smonroe in thinking that Herron can compete with Ballard.  I got a lot of flack in a recent post saying that I didn't think Ballard would be a lock to make this team -- I will not be shocked if he starts the season on the PUP and he was not a very fast back to begin with so if he doesn't fully bounce back I think he has a chance to be outperformed by Herron and/or Rainey in camp and preseason. 

My predictions to start the season:

FB- Harvey (also a special team ace, and I think this frees up space for a 4th RB since we could potentially save a roster spot by carrying one less LB than we would if Havilli is kept)

RB 1 - T. Rich

RB 2 - A. Bradshaw

RB 3 - D. Herron

RB 4 - C. Rainey

PUP - V. Ballard

PS - Tipton

I think Tipton is a lock for our practice squad -- and I think a lot of how our RB situation turns out will be based on our WR situation and FB situation.

Mario Harvey is getting a lot of reps at FB and it sounds like he is doing very well.  He has shown he can be a very solid special teamer and a decent LB.  If we keep him as our FB and release Havili (not saying this will happen) I think it gives us the option to keep a 4th RB because Harvey is so versatile, whereas if we keep Havili who doesn't play special teams, it seems like a true FB with 4 RB is a bit overload.

I think Wayne, TY, Nicks, Moncreif are locks to make this team.  I am not sure if we will carry 5 or 6 WRs (I highly doubt we will carry 7).  Anyway, that leaves Rogers, Brazzill, and Whalen to battle for 1 or 2 spots.  Depending on how this situation turns out, we may or may not have a steady KR/PR on our team (if we keep Brazzill or Whalen, chances are coaches will trust them to return punts or kicks).  However, if we only keep Rogers or if the coaches are uncomfortable with Brazzill or Whalen as the primary return man, I think Rainey's chances to make this team improve dramatically. 

Personally, I would like to see Rainey stay healthy and make this team -- he can play a similar role to D. Brown as a speedy change of pace back and that should compliment the power of T. Rich and Bradshaw quite well and I think the team agrees that he has potential to be a very dynamic return man (I am pretty sure that is a big part of the reason we brought him on later last year in the first place).  I agree with Smonroe in thinking that Herron can compete with Ballard.  I got a lot of flack in a recent post saying that I didn't think Ballard would be a lock to make this team -- I will not be shocked if he starts the season on the PUP and he was not a very fast back to begin with so if he doesn't fully bounce back I think he has a chance to be outperformed by Herron and/or Rainey in camp and preseason. 

My predictions to start the season:

FB- Harvey (also a special team ace, and I think this frees up space for a 4th RB since we could potentially save a roster spot by carrying one less LB than we would if Havilli is kept)

RB 1 - T. Rich

RB 2 - A. Bradshaw

RB 3 - D. Herron

RB 4 - C. Rainey

PUP - V. Ballard

PS - Tipton

I like this I really don't want to see Havili back not a great lead blocker and not great catching the ball out of the backfield not that great in my opinion.

I would like to see at least one breakaway speed back if you read Rainey's draft profile he was expected to be a poor man's Harvin compared to McCluster coming out. Would love for Boom to have a chance.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/chris-rainey?id=2532934

With all of our top 3 RB's healing up injuries over the off season, I just hope we can stash a couple

really good backups somewhere so they don't get snatched up by other teams. I'm gonna hold my

breath every time we hand the ball off this year. :barf:

agreed with our backs having some injury concerns we should have some other options on speed dial but I just don't see the roster space to keep mire than three unless the fourth can return kicks.

Ballard only ran a 4.65 coming out Tiptons 4.7 isn't far behind plus some guys just go faster when the lights are on could be one of those rare guys with football speed stop watch doesn't always tell the story.

was that before or after he fell :P

I can't believe so many people are giving Ballard so much flack.....

The kid ran for 814 yards with a 3.9 ypc average in Arians' super pass happy offense. Not to mention with the absolutely terrible O line we had at the time as well.... Nor was he even a lead back, he was sharing time. The kid seriously ran hard and finished runs. Give him an O-line that can at least competently run block (which I hope we will be able to do this year) and I bet he would top 1000 yards. He probably wouldnt top 1000 sharing with T Rich and Bradshaw, but I bet he gets at least a 4.2 ypc average.

agreed with our backs having some injury concerns we should have some other options on speed dial but I just don't see the roster space to keep mire than three unless the fourth can return kicks.

This. There is very likely not enough roster space to keep a 4th RB particularly if they keep a FB. There may be 6 WR's kept this year which limits the #'s at another position.