Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lets talk about our WR core

Nesjan3

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about that...   ???

Reggie, TY, and Nicks are LOCKS (excluding the injury scenario)    After those 3 it is TOTALLY up in the air who make the team.

If Moncrief is "not ready" then I can totally see Indy putting him on the PS and letting Rodgers, Brazil, Griff, and who ever battle it out in meaningful games.    

If Moncrief is ready then fine.     But I really doubt he will be a contributor in year one.     Just too much talent and experience battling for those few roster spots.   And Indy's TE use hurts any WR.    Indy will keep 3 or 4 TE's.    

IF Moncrief is on the roster...  it tells me he is READY to contribute.   

This team is in win mode, no time to develop WR's on the fly.   No dead weight.

I think the only player who would be Practice Squad eligible is Moncrief.   And that's not going to happen.

I don't think either Rogers, or Brazil, or Whalen are PS eligible.   And even if they were,  odds are they'd be claimed by another team and we'd lose them for nothing.   

NOTE:   After posting, I see that others came along before me saying roughly the same thing I did.   Sorry for the duplication.

Grigs traded up to get him in the 3rd he really stepped up when Reggie went down had 224 yards 3rd most in playoff history vs KC. He has speed to burn can score just about anytime he touches the ball you think he is expendable.  He had 860 yards his rookie year then 1,083 last year while having a score of 70+ yards both years. Notice a pattern? He is arguably our best WR and you don't think he is worth keeping(the definition of expendable).

You don't think it would be a detriment to the team not have TY Hilton next year? Or Fleener for that matter. I wonder what #12 would say about that.

I like Rogers as much as anyone and love his potential key word potential. But that is nuts. Next yr you want to roll with  Moncrief who hasn't even played a down in the NFL and an undrafted FA that had one big game and a great catch and Nicks who is on a prove it contract because his play has slipped so much. While trading our expendable WR who looks like he could be a star in this league for the foreseeable future. I am not on board with that at all. I don't think Grigs will be moving in that direction either. 

WR's usually take a little time to develop I think you are way off on Hilton you don't trade a guy like that unless he is unreasonable with contract demands don't see that being the case with TY could be wrong but I think he likes being a Colt and I think Grigs understands his value to the team. I think you vastly undervalue him as a player OH we will just go grab another guy with 4.3 speed who can ball like TY no big deal. Really?   

I totally agree about TY man, you don't trade a guy like that. If anything (and I'm by no means championing this idea either) I would develop both Rogers and Moncrief, and then trade one of them, because of the similarities of their skill sets. You trade the guy who's replacement is already on the roster, and thats only the case if gonna trade WR, which is unlikely.

i dont know brazil has big play ability. 

Brazill was one of the reasons we had to run so much as he can`t be counted on as a route runner.

Mid 40`s % on last seasons limited targets. Only injuries should keep him on the roster.

I will Always remember his pitiful effort on the pick 6 in the playoffs. Or for that matter during a game last season Reggie on the sideline in his Face reminding/showing him how to set up a DB before coming out of his break. I mean does Brazill "stay in the truck" while everyone else is trying to get better in practice?

I don't know about that...   ???

Reggie, TY, and Nicks are LOCKS (excluding the injury scenario)    After those 3 it is TOTALLY up in the air who make the team.

If Moncrief is "not ready" then I can totally see Indy putting him on the PS and letting Rodgers, Brazil, Griff, and who ever battle it out in meaningful games.    

If Moncrief is ready then fine.     But I really doubt he will be a contributor in year one.     Just too much talent and experience battling for those few roster spots.   And Indy's TE use hurts any WR.    Indy will keep 3 or 4 TE's.    

IF Moncrief is on the roster...  it tells me he is READY to contribute.   

This team is in win mode, no time to develop WR's on the fly.   No dead weight.

It's the off-season and my mind is a little fuzzy.

But can't a team -- any team -- take a player off another team's practice squad?      I think that's the case......   that's my assumption here....

And if that's true,  I think there's no chance that Moncrief goes to the PS because if he does,  then I think another team will grab him as quick as can be.     I think Moncrief wouldn't be on the list for more than 15 minutes.....     that would be my fear.

If I'm wrong on the PS rules,  then you're right.   If he can't make the 53,  then he will go to the PS.    

In that case,  we'd be in agreement then...     :thmup:

I totally agree about TY man, you don't trade a guy like that. If anything (and I'm by no means championing this idea either) I would develop both Rogers and Moncrief, and then trade one of them, because of the similarities of their skill sets. You trade the guy who's replacement is already on the roster, and thats only the case if gonna trade WR, which is unlikely.

The guys whole thought process sounds like fantasy football sell high nonsense. How many teams do you see trading Pro Bowl or potential Pro Bowl players for first round draft picks? NONE just because a guy is taken in the 1st round guarantee's nothing. We already have a great player why would we trade him?  

We wouldn't and we won't. You don't build a winning team trading your best players you pay them. It was like listening to a liquored up kicker. Kept changing his story well I said could happen but probably won't. Go back and look his first post it says what I see happening. Waste of time. Let's trade Davis too we could have 2 first round picks we would be sure to get at least one good player back then and save a lot of money.

But can't a team -- any team -- take a player off another team's practice squad?      I think that's the case......   that's my assumption here....

And if that's true,  I think there's no chance that Moncrief goes to the PS because if he does,  then I think another team will grab him as quick as can be.     I think Moncrief wouldn't be on the list for more than 15 minutes.....     that would be my fear.

If I'm wrong on the PS rules,  then you're right.   If he can't make the 53,  then he will go to the PS.    

Here is why Moncrief will never see the PS.  Practice squad players are free agents; they can be signed to any team's 53-man roster at any time during the season. In other words, NFL teams are free to "poach" other teams' practice squads without compensating the teams

I would imagine the line to claim Moncrief would be at least 20 teams deep sounds like they have to go straight on the 53 man roster I am still hoping Dowling hits the Raiders PS. We all have our dreams.

I rather have the big play guy instead of the chain mover

Umm you do realize that it's the chain mover who sets up the big play guy to make the big play don't you?

Don't know if you watched us under Bruce Arians offense but due to the excessive deep passes; teams dropped their safeties back a few yards, if you're just gonna take deep shots you're playing into the defenses hands/favor. Thus Luck (Rookie Year) & Carson Palmer (This year) being top 5 in interceptions thrown

I was thinking they are protected for a year or two.   But now that you bring this up...    I think you are correct.

Not sure tho...   but if Moncrief cannot be "protected" on PS.....   he is GUARANTEED a roster spot.

I see where you are coming from now.       IR maybe?   heheheeeee

"chain mover" ...  ?        Reggie Wayne ... ?      All day long. :td:

Umm you do realize that it's the chain mover who sets up the big play guy to make the big play don't you?

Don't know if you watched us under Bruce Arians offense but due to the excessive deep passes; teams dropped their safeties back a few yards, if you're just gonna take deep shots you're playing into the defenses hands/favor. Thus Luck (Rookie Year) & Carson Palmer (This year) being top 5 in interceptions thrown

I would imagine the line to claim Moncrief would be at least 20 teams deep sounds like they have to go straight on the 53 man roster I am still hoping Dowling hits the Raiders PS. We all have our dreams.

Really.....   we don't want Dowling.     Unless he's released and we can grab him as a free agent and put him on the PS as we did with Rogers.

Otherwise......   no.

He's not what some here would have you believe.     Fools gold.    Not a Colts kind of guy.

Seriously.

Really.....   we don't want Dowling.     Unless he's released and we can grab him as a free agent and put him on the PS as we did with Rogers.

Otherwise......   no.

He's not what some here would have you believe.     Fools gold.    Not a Colts kind of guy.

Seriously.

He forced 18 turnovers at WKU in 2 years that is almost 1 a game and his boy Andrew Jackson is already here I would love to see what he could do.

Not only can a player be signed off your practice squad, but he has to clear waivers before you can sign him to your own practice squad. Then, once he clears waivers, he's a free agent and can sign with any team in the league, whether as a practice squad player or as a member of the full roster.

All that adds up to confirm that someone like Moncrief won't be placed on the practice squad. Pencil him in for the final 53 right now.

Hold on I think Luck being in top 5 in interceptions might have been due to being a rookie.

Palmer has started 16 games 6x thrown 20 or more int's in 3 of those years not sure that Arians offense has as much to do with Palmer as it is that he just blows. He really never came back from the knee injury in the playoff game with Pitt with the same mojo.

The Cardinals are a QB away from being a very dangerous football team in my opinion.

This is the correct answer.....and a pretty obvious one at that.

Otherwise......   no.

Seriously.

What do you mean not a Colts kind of guy?

What do you mean not a Colts kind of guy?

The reviews of Dowling I linked said roughly the following....

Not as tough as he thinks he is.   Bad personality that rubs many the wrong way.   Constantly yapping on the field and not in a good way.   Tries to draw attention to himself.    Takes lots of bad angles to the ball.   Misses a lot of tackles.   And many of the tackles he does take are not good solid tackles.    He needs lots of coaching and it's not clear that he's all that coachable.

As for the turnovers....     I'll say this....

A year ago,  before I believe you joined the website,  there was a player in the '13 draft that many here were hot for.   His name was David Amerson a corner/safety for NC State.    In his junior year he led the nation with 13 interceptions and was a hot name on draft websites.

Here was the problem....   when you looked at the videotape (and it's all over youtube) on Amerson's picks,  they came against the worst offenses imaginable...  the worst quarterback play you've ever seen....   my mother could've made most of those picks and she's been dead since 1990!     Seriously, it was like a major college going against high school level offenses.   It was awful.

And, it was clear to see Amerson is a zone corner,  not a man corner,  so he didn't fit the Colts scheme.    Don't get me wrong, he's a good talented kid,  but the stats were completely misleading.   Sometimes the level of opposition has to be taken into account.    Who does Western Kentucky play?   Are Dowling's numbers really that special in that view?

Oh, by the way,  Dowling originally went to Florida.   Got kicked off the team by Urban Meyer.   Do you know how bad a kid you have to be to get kicked off an Urban Meyer team?     Pretty darn bad.

I'm only for getting Dowling if he's dumped by Oakland and we can claim him as a Free Agent, the way we did with Rogers.  That way,  there's minimal investment.   And he can spend a year on the Practice Squad growing up.    This is a kid that really needs to grow up and be an adult.

And those kind of kids are why I referred to him as not a Colts kind of player.

Not only can a player be signed off your practice squad, but he has to clear waivers before you can sign him to your own practice squad. Then, once he clears waivers, he's a free agent and can sign with any team in the league, whether as a practice squad player or as a member of the full roster.

All that adds up to confirm that someone like Moncrief won't be placed on the practice squad. Pencil him in for the final 53 right now.

Thanks to you and others in this thread for setting the record straight.....

Always appreciate good 411....             :thmup:

The reviews of Dowling I linked said roughly the following....

Not as tough as he thinks he is.   Bad personality that rubs many the wrong way.   Constantly yapping on the field and not in a good way.   Tries to draw attention to himself.    Takes lots of bad angles to the ball.   Misses a lot of tackles.   And many of the tackles he does take are not good solid tackles.    He needs lots of coaching and it's not clear that he's all that coachable.

As for the turnovers....     I'll say this....

A year ago,  before I believe you joined the website,  there was a player in the '13 draft that many here were hot for.   His name was David Amerson a corner/safety for NC State.    In his junior year he led the nation with 13 interceptions and was a hot name on draft websites.

Here was the problem....   when you looked at the videotape (and it's all over youtube) on Amerson's picks,  they came against the worst offenses imaginable...  the worst quarterback play you've ever seen....   my mother could've made most of those picks and she's been dead since 1990!     Seriously, it was like a major college going against high school level offenses.   It was awful.

And, it was clear to see Amerson is a zone corner,  not a man corner,  so he didn't fit the Colts scheme.    Don't get me wrong, he's a good talented kid,  but the stats were completely misleading.   Sometimes the level of opposition has to be taken into account.    Who does Western Kentucky play?   Are Dowling's numbers really that special in that view?

Oh, by the way,  Dowling originally went to Florida.   Got kicked off the team by Urban Meyer.   Do you know how bad a kid you have to be to get kicked off an Urban Meyer team?     Pretty darn bad.

I'm only for getting Dowling if he's dumped by Oakland and we can claim him as a Free Agent, the way we did with Rogers.  That way,  there's minimal investment.   And he can spend a year on the Practice Squad growing up.    This is a kid that really needs to grow up and be an adult.

And those kind of kids are why I referred to him as not a Colts kind of player.

I knew he went to Florida and had offers from Alabama and Florida St so you know he has skills.  I think he might be a little better than you think especially if he lands in a good place.  I am for snatching him from PS although I doubt he will end up there in Oakland will probably see the field Woodson has to be approaching 40 not looking to doing anything crazy to get the kid

I don't really understand how Dowling isn't a Colts type guy it's not like he has multiple drugs charges and turned police informant like Purifoy who we brought in. Dowling as never been arrested as far as I know.

A four-star prep defensive back, Dowling had offers from Alabama, Georgia and Florida State, but chose Florida prior to his senior year in high school. He played sparingly as a true freshman and often found himself in the doghouse of Urban Meyer and the rest of the Gators' coaching staff, ultimately leading to his dismissal from the program. Dowling transferred to Western Kentucky and sat out the 2011 season due to transfer rules. He started two full seasons for the Hilltoppers with excellent production both years, including 18 total turnovers (9 interceptions, 8 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery).

If the talent he was playing against was that bad we may have a problem with Jackson they were teammates at WKU

I knew he went to Florida and had offers from Alabama and Florida St so you know he has skills.  I think he might be a little better than you think especially if he lands in a good place.  I am for snatching him from PS although I doubt he will end up there in Oakland will probably see the field Woodson has to be approaching 40 not looking to doing anything crazy to get the kid

I don't really understand how Dowling isn't a Colts type guy it's not like he has multiple drugs charges and turned police informant like Purifoy who we brought in. Dowling as never been arrested as far as I know.

A four-star prep defensive back, Dowling had offers from Alabama, Georgia and Florida State, but chose Florida prior to his senior year in high school. He played sparingly as a true freshman and often found himself in the doghouse of Urban Meyer and the rest of the Gators' coaching staff, ultimately leading to his dismissal from the program. Dowling transferred to Western Kentucky and sat out the 2011 season due to transfer rules. He started two full seasons for the Hilltoppers with excellent production both years, including 18 total turnovers (9 interceptions, 8 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery).

If the talent he was playing against was that bad we may have a problem with Jackson they were teammates at WKU

I tried to go back and find a post I made during the draft that broke down Dowling's issues....   but I couldn't find it.

So, I'm going to reconstruct it.....   when a kid this talented is among the last players to get drafted, you know there are plenty of issues.    That's why I was against drafting him.   If we can get him later as a free agent,  fine.    But I think the approach we've taken with Rogers has proven successful.   I'd like the same approach with Dowling,  if it ever comes to pass.

Either way, here's some of the write-up from NFL.com and Nolan Nawrocki....    and after his, is the write-up from ESPN.com

Analysis

Strengths  Has a rangy frame with room for added bulk. Excellent height and long arms to contend in the air and play the pocket. Good hands to snatch interceptions. Nice linear fluidity. Covers ground with long strides -- rangy off the hash to get over the top. Flashes striking ability when his shoulder blows connect. Playmaking ability -- 9 INTs and 8 FFs in last two seasons. Has special-teams experience covering kicks.

Weaknesses  High-cut and lanky for a safety -- durability could be an issue and he needs to add body armor. Gets bullied in the box. Average eyes and instincts. Takes some inaccurate angles. Shoddy tackler with poor fundamentals -- hits too high, ankle-bites low or launches himself and whiffs. Talks too much and shows off-putting body language. Questionable mental toughness. Thinks hes better than he is. Character, maturity and coachability should be looked into.

Draft Projection Rounds 4-5 Bottom Line

Lean, long-levered, smooth-muscled, finesse free safety with speed and range, though he's more interested in hitting than securing tackles.  He does not provide dependability desired on the back end.

-Nolan Nawrocki

I'll be back in a short bit with the ESPN.com write-up....   it's brutal.

Here's the write-up from ESPN.com....   this is from the Todd McShay crew...  notice Dowling has plenty of high marks... 1's and 2's....   but also some bad marks....  4's and 5's...  especially in areas of importance...

Overall Football Traits

Production 3  2010: (2/0) N/A *Florida  2011: Redshirted  2012: (12/11) 68-7-6  2013: (12/12) 67-7-3 WKU Career: 3.5TFL, 8FF, 1FR

Height-Weight-Speed 2  Tall but lean and needs to get stronger. Has room on frame to add bulk. Above average top-end speed and 10-yad split (1.57). Long arms (33 1/8') and adequate hand size (9 1/4').

Durability 2  Durable college player but frame raises red flag for long-term durability.

Intangibles 5  Major concerns about maturity, inflated ego and ability to handle authority. Florida dismissed him from team for violating a team rule in 2010. Missed practices at Florida. Transferred to Western Kentucky in 2011 and sat out in accordance with NCAA rules. Sun Belt Conference suspended Dowling for Arkansas State game following ejection from Southern Mississippi for a helmet to helmet hit in 2012.  Never stops jawing on tape and affects focus/attention to detail.  It's all about him on field.  Inflated sense of ability.

1 = Exceptional  2 = Above average  3 = Average  4 = Below average  5 = Marginal

Safety Specific Traits

Instincts/Recognition 4  Natural nose for the football. But lacks eye discipline and takes too many false steps. Inconsistent angles. Has glaring assignment breakdowns on tape.

Cover Skills 2  Is tall with long arms. Smooth moving athlete with good fluidity for height. Long strider with good top-end speed. Covers a lot of ground when pointed in right direction. Good closing burst to the ball/receiver. But technique needs lots of polishing. Terrible footwork. Very inconsistent with pad level during pedal. Inefficient with movement.

Ball Skills 1 Excellent production (9 INTs, 8 FFs in two seasons at WKU). Natural ball skills and above average body control. Soft hands and confident attacking ball. Long arms to contest when in zip code. Also very good height and leaping ability, so he's effective contending for ball with taller WRs and TEs. Run

Support 4 Fills hard and can delivery good shoulder blow when he times it out correctly. But overall he's too inefficient and unreliable in run support.  Plays out of control.  Freelancing shoulder-first hitter that frequently fails to finish.  Misses as many open-field tackles as he makes.  Lacks bulk and strength. Easily pushed around in the box.  Struggles to get off blocks (just eight bench press reps at Combine). Fake tough guy.

1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average  3 = Average  4 = Below average  5 = Marginal

I tried to go back and find a post I made during the draft that broke down Dowling's issues....   but I couldn't find it.

So, I'm going to reconstruct it.....   when a kid this talented is among the last players to get drafted, you know there are plenty of issues.    That's why I was against drafting him.   If we can get him later as a free agent,  fine.    But I think the approach we've taken with Rogers has proven successful.   I'd like the same approach with Dowling,  if it ever comes to pass.

Either way, here's some of the write-up from NFL.com and Nolan Nawrocki....    and after his, is the write-up from ESPN.com

Analysis

Strengths  Has a rangy frame with room for added bulk. Excellent height and long arms to contend in the air and play the pocket. Good hands to snatch interceptions. Nice linear fluidity. Covers ground with long strides -- rangy off the hash to get over the top. Flashes striking ability when his shoulder blows connect. Playmaking ability -- 9 INTs and 8 FFs in last two seasons. Has special-teams experience covering kicks.

Weaknesses  High-cut and lanky for a safety -- durability could be an issue and he needs to add body armor. Gets bullied in the box. Average eyes and instincts. Takes some inaccurate angles. Shoddy tackler with poor fundamentals -- hits too high, ankle-bites low or launches himself and whiffs. Talks too much and shows off-putting body language. Questionable mental toughness. Thinks hes better than he is. Character, maturity and coachability should be looked into.

Draft Projection Rounds 4-5 Bottom Line

Lean, long-levered, smooth-muscled, finesse free safety with speed and range, though he's more interested in hitting than securing tackles.  He does not provide dependability desired on the back end.

-Nolan Nawrocki

I'll be back in a short bit with the ESPN.com write-up....   it's brutal.

Here's the write-up from ESPN.com....   this is from the Todd McShay crew...  notice Dowling has plenty of high marks... 1's and 2's....   but also some bad marks....  4's and 5's...  especially in areas of importance...

Overall Football Traits

Production 3  2010: (2/0) N/A *Florida  2011: Redshirted  2012: (12/11) 68-7-6  2013: (12/12) 67-7-3 WKU Career: 3.5TFL, 8FF, 1FR

Height-Weight-Speed 2  Tall but lean and needs to get stronger. Has room on frame to add bulk. Above average top-end speed and 10-yad split (1.57). Long arms (33 1/8') and adequate hand size (9 1/4').

Durability 2  Durable college player but frame raises red flag for long-term durability.

Intangibles 5  Major concerns about maturity, inflated ego and ability to handle authority. Florida dismissed him from team for violating a team rule in 2010. Missed practices at Florida. Transferred to Western Kentucky in 2011 and sat out in accordance with NCAA rules. Sun Belt Conference suspended Dowling for Arkansas State game following ejection from Southern Mississippi for a helmet to helmet hit in 2012.  Never stops jawing on tape and affects focus/attention to detail.  It's all about him on field.  Inflated sense of ability.

1 = Exceptional  2 = Above average  3 = Average  4 = Below average  5 = Marginal

Safety Specific Traits

Instincts/Recognition 4  Natural nose for the football. But lacks eye discipline and takes too many false steps. Inconsistent angles. Has glaring assignment breakdowns on tape.

Cover Skills 2  Is tall with long arms. Smooth moving athlete with good fluidity for height. Long strider with good top-end speed. Covers a lot of ground when pointed in right direction. Good closing burst to the ball/receiver. But technique needs lots of polishing. Terrible footwork. Very inconsistent with pad level during pedal. Inefficient with movement.

Ball Skills 1 Excellent production (9 INTs, 8 FFs in two seasons at WKU). Natural ball skills and above average body control. Soft hands and confident attacking ball. Long arms to contest when in zip code. Also very good height and leaping ability, so he's effective contending for ball with taller WRs and TEs. Run

Support 4 Fills hard and can delivery good shoulder blow when he times it out correctly. But overall he's too inefficient and unreliable in run support.  Plays out of control.  Freelancing shoulder-first hitter that frequently fails to finish.  Misses as many open-field tackles as he makes.  Lacks bulk and strength. Easily pushed around in the box.  Struggles to get off blocks (just eight bench press reps at Combine). Fake tough guy.

1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average  3 = Average  4 = Below average  5 = Marginal

I would say adding strength is a must but he has skills and he had a couple of good years at WKU  I was hoping we would take a flier in the 7th or he'd go undrafted neither happened. I would still rather take a chance on a guy like this who needs a kick in the butt and a wake up call or Rogers any day of the week. Over a drug abusing snitch some doors are pretty hard to close once you open them. Doesn't sound like Dowling has those issues. Truth be told he probably was a lot better athlete than others in the Sun Belt. I don't mind a little swagger. 

Rogers passed like 10 UA's at Tenn Tech and it sounds like Dowling just needs to be put in check and get to a place that has a coach that really works well with DB's. I am  I would love to see the hit he was suspended for I am for protecting players but some of those suspensions are crazy.

I am interested to see Price after a year on the PS that kid has good size and good speed he needed to add weight and work on his game. I want to see if he has improved any.

Purifoy is someone who is not Colt material. I was disappointed we'd bring in a kid like that. I will  never get over the police informant thing total lack of any personal responsibility. I am sure he is popular in the locker room.  It is  pretty funny they posted it on the internet for all to read though. I guess if you only run a 4.68 40 your going to get caught by the police and some people worse than the police when you have to finally face the music. Things can get rough on snitches in Florida

I for one will be keeping an eye on Dowling down in Oakland they are pretty thin on the back end so I'd imagine he has a shot at the roster

I would say adding strength is a must but he has skills and he had a couple of good years at WKU  I was hoping we would take a flier in the 7th or he'd go undrafted neither happened. I would still rather take a chance on a guy like this who needs a kick in the butt and a wake up call or Rogers any day of the week. Over a drug abusing snitch some doors are pretty hard to close once you open them. Doesn't sound like Dowling has those issues. Truth be told he probably was a lot better athlete than others in the Sun Belt. I don't mind a little swagger. 

Rogers passed like 10 UA's at Tenn Tech and it sounds like Dowling just needs to be put in check and get to a place that has a coach that really works well with DB's. I am  I would love to see the hit he was suspended for I am for protecting players but some of those suspensions are crazy.

I am interested to see Price after a year on the PS that kid has good size and good speed he needed to add weight and work on his game. I want to see if he has improved any.

Purifoy is someone who is not Colt material. I was disappointed we'd bring in a kid like that. I will  never get over the police informant thing total lack of any personal responsibility. I am sure he is popular in the locker room.  It is  pretty funny they posted it on the internet for all to read though. I guess if you only run a 4.68 40 your going to get caught by the police and some people worse than the police when you have to finally face the music. Things can get rough on snitches in Florida

I for one will be keeping an eye on Dowling down in Oakland they are pretty thin on the back end so I'd imagine he has a shot at the roster

I don't think the odds are in Dowling's favor in the NFL. He seems to have a problem with authority, and coupled with the reputation for thinking he's better than he is, he strikes me as the kind of player who won't accept coaching from anyone -- coaches, veteran teammates, etc. Like he's going to have to lose everything before he gets it, and by then, it might be too late. I don't think he has the freakish physical stature or ability to make him so highly coveted by any team in the league. I feel like he'll be on a short leash, wherever he goes, and if he gets dismissed for whatever reason, teams will find it easy to pass on him. JMO, based on what I've read about him. I don't claim to know anything about him that anyone else doesn't. Just my personal feeling.

I don't think the odds are in Dowling's favor in the NFL. He seems to have a problem with authority, and coupled with the reputation for thinking he's better than he is, he strikes me as the kind of player who won't accept coaching from anyone -- coaches, veteran teammates, etc. Like he's going to have to lose everything before he gets it, and by then, it might be too late. I don't think he has the freakish physical stature or ability to make him so highly coveted by any team in the league. I feel like he'll be on a short leash, wherever he goes, and if he gets dismissed for whatever reason, teams will find it easy to pass on him. JMO, based on what I've read about him. I don't claim to know anything about him that anyone else doesn't. Just my personal feeling.

Oakland isn't exactly known for turning players around either but Woodson is there could help

My take regarding our receievers...

Hilton: A good young receiver and the 2nd most proven pass catcher on the roster. I actually feel more solid about Hilton than I do Wayne because the latter is coming off injury. He's a guy we need in the short term and I'd also like to see us keep him long term given the chemistry he's already developed with Luck. He's a good speedy receiver who can light up a defense. But he's not a prototypical #1 receiver either - he's lacking in size and was shut down at times last season - I think Luck has at times made him look better than he is. 

Wayne: The oldest, and most experienced. Veteran leader at the position. Probably has the most reliable hands. How will he play coming back off of the ACL? How many more years does he have in him? I see him as in the twilight of his career and not a guy who we want to build the future around, but still very much a guy we want on the field for now.

Nicks: We've never seen him play as a Colt. He's had really good success in the past but most recently he's struggled. He's a strong possession receiver and should help in the short term. Given his 1 year contract it's hard to predict if he's still with us after that.

Moncrief: I still think this guy was a major steal at 90. He's got the height, weight, and speed that you look for in a potential #1. He's demonstrated a decent skill set although improvement there will be needed to really become a #1 or #2 receiver. I believe he will make those improvements over the course of his rookie year and break out in 2015. In 2014 I see him as a contributor, but playing a smaller role than he will in the future. 

Rogers: He's got the size and athleticism you like to see in a #1 receiver. I don't think his odds of actually becoming one are as high as Moncrief's, but the potential is there. I'm not sure how he fits into our offense aside from just providing depth given the guys we have on the depth chart ahead of him. I would wonder if there was a trade market for Rogers, as there are some WR needy teams out there who might want to take a chance on him. But for 2014 I don't see him being a major force given the additions of Nicks (who plays a similar style) and Moncrief (who is similarly a young prospect with a high ceiling.)

Brazill: He's a strong, physical receiver with pretty good speed. Do I think he's going to be a major contributor in 2014? Only if there are injuries. He's only got 23 career regular season receptions (along with 6 post season receptions including 2 touchdowns). I don't think he's skilled enough to beat out the top receivers on the depth chart.

Whalen: He had 24 receptions last year, seeing some play time at the end of the year. He doesn't have the size or athleticism to impress but he did a pretty good job last year. You kind of know what you're getting out of Whalen, he's not an above average receiver but he's pretty savvy at maximizing his ability. I'm guessing he'll wind up on the practice squad.

The problem is each guy has given us plenty of reasons to keep him:

Wayne - don't even need to list why he deserves to stay, after all these years

Hilton - speed like mad, a reliable #2 who was able to take over #1 when Reggie went out, though I don't think he can ever be a true #1

Nicks - if healthy, tons of potential, could be a #1, and still young

Moncrief - has the physical tools to be a #1

Rogers - same as Moncrief

Brazill - I see him as a really underrated player.  To me, his ceiling is as a #2 receiver, but he would need to work really hard to get there

Whalen - all he did when he played was convert 3rd downs and make tacklers miss

I wouldn't want to get rid of any of these guys, but it's unrealistic to keep 7 WRs.  It's a hard choice.  Not only that, but trading any of the bottom guys would get us a minimal return, and putting any on the practice squad could result in us losing them for nothing.  I think it's more worth it to just find a way to keep 7 WRs.  If I had to pick one to put to the practice squad or get rid of, I guess it would have to be Whalen.

It is truly a tough tough choice but I'd agree to give up Brazill. Griff had a lot of clutch conversions last season and with the addition of Nicks plus Wayne he'll only learn and grow. So stoked for September 7th and meeting Peyton again. Andy will show him again what's up. Aloha.

The problem is each guy has given us plenty of reasons to keep him:

Wayne - don't even need to list why he deserves to stay, after all these years

Hilton - speed like mad, a reliable #2 who was able to take over #1 when Reggie went out, though I don't think he can ever be a true #1

Nicks - if healthy, tons of potential, could be a #1, and still young

Moncrief - has the physical tools to be a #1

Rogers - same as Moncrief

Brazill - I see him as a really underrated player.  To me, his ceiling is as a #2 receiver, but he would need to work really hard to get there

Whalen - all he did when he played was convert 3rd downs and make tacklers miss

I wouldn't want to get rid of any of these guys, but it's unrealistic to keep 7 WRs.  It's a hard choice.  Not only that, but trading any of the bottom guys would get us a minimal return, and putting any on the practice squad could result in us losing them for nothing.  I think it's more worth it to just find a way to keep 7 WRs.  If I had to pick one to put to the practice squad or get rid of, I guess it would have to be Whalen.

It is truly a tough tough choice but I'd agree to give up Brazill. Griff had a lot of clutch conversions last season and with the addition of Nicks plus Wayne he'll only learn and grow. So stoked for September 7th and meeting Peyton again. Andy will show him again what's up. Aloha.

I'm going to play devils advocate here and just throw out some scenario's that I believe will happen.

- Reggie retires next year (this is his final season under contract I believe)

Reggie has nothing left to prove in my opinion and I think he hangs them up after next season

- Nicks is paid by the Colts next year to take over for Reggie, after a good season this year

I look for Nicks to put up a solid season next year. I wouldn't be suprised if he gets close to 1000 yards, which I believe will be enough for the Colts to give him the nod for a couple more years after that.

- TY and Fleener are both traded next year for extra draft picks

I know I will get heat for this but everyone keeps talking about trading Brazill, why? He's not going to net the Colts anything, and as others have said, when given the opportunity he has played well. I think the Colts need to get quality in return if they are looking to trade a WR and that's TY. TY could easily land us a 2nd round pick, if not a 1st if he has another good year this year. That draft class alone could kill the Colts cap, and I believe Luck and Allen are worth the money, however I think TY could be replaced and I would sell now - 2015 - with his stock being so high. Fleener, with another decent year, could probably net us a 4th, maybe a 3rd depending on how much he improves on last year. I know it's a loss from where we initially got him but if we get a high pick out of TY, it's a wash.

- Moncrief and Rogers, along with Nicks, become the starting WR's with Brazill backing them up (2015)

I believe these 4 guys are the future for the Colts in the coming years. A great mix of size and speed, which could help tremendously in the run game. These guys along with Allen will give Luck some huge targets for a good portion of his career.

Again, these are just some scenario's that I believe will happen.

I don't know man... you can't get rid of TY orFleener..ty is way too clutch and Fleener is a great TE option. He's only gonna get better and his history with Andy is priceless. If we're gonna downsize in the WR department you gotta drop Brazill. Aloha

I think if it comes down to a choice between Whalen and Brazill we should probably drop Whalen.  I think there is a decent chance that Whalen won't be picked up by another team, and we can pick him back up later if we need him.  I believe a WR needy team would be much more likely to pick up Brazill because he has a much higher upside IMO.

Lots of guys fall further than the "experts" think they will But I can't recall a third rounder going to the ps

I do not recall a project player being drafted in the 1st round, by a team needing to fill holes either.  I'm saying anything is possible, that is all.