Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Players Only Meeting.

NM_Colts

Didn't see this posted or find it in a search:

Skidding Colts hold private meeting From Yahoo Sports

Nov 11, 6:31 pm EST

INDIANAPOLIS (AP)—Enough was enough for Indianapolis Colts center Jeff Saturday.

Saturday called the team together Monday, a day after the Colts dropped to 0-9 for the first time since 1997 with a 31-7 loss to the Atlanta Falcons - their worst start since going 0-10 in 1997. It’s a desperate bunch headed into Sunday’s home game against Jacksonville (2-6).

“I felt like it needed to be said and I said it,” Saturday said Friday. “We just need to play better as a team, we need to get wins and ultimately that’s what it was about.”

Saturday wouldn’t go into detail about his message to the team, which had been described as a stern talk.

“”He did what a veteran should do,” receiver Reggie Wayne said. “He steps up and he puts his two cents in and he did a great job of that. I think everybody understood where he was coming from and I think we all took it personally and we should.”

Saturday’s message comes down to staying focused on playing the game.

“He didn’t have to yell, he didn’t have to scream or sound like a macho man or Randy Savage,” Wayne said. “Play football, nothing else. Love football, nothing else. Be a man, nothing else.”

Having these meetings isn’t all that new, though. Saturday said the fashion is which he did it on Monday was simply because of the current, dismal circumstances. The Colts have struggled without Peyton Manning as the quarterback recovers from neck surgery.

“We all kind of have an open policy as far as addressing the team,” Saturday said. “It’s just not something that has to happen very often, but then again, we haven’t been in this position very often.”

Wayne said he’s even stepped up to the plate to talk before.

“Guys talk all the time,” Wayne said. “You don’t need coaches to always be the ones to say the words. Sometimes you can tell the coach to take a seat. I think everybody will listen better coming from a player than coming from a coach. Sometimes you need that.”

“Guys talk all the time,” Wayne said. “You don’t need coaches to always be the ones to say the words. Sometimes you can tell the coach to take a seat. I think everybody will listen better coming from a player than coming from a coach. Sometimes you need that.”

zing

Yeah, maybe they decided to start ingnoring the coaches and start calling their own plays.

That would be funny. Coyer calls a standard Tampa-2, then our Colts defenders wink at one another, then they go all-out blitz... And to no one's surprise, it works!

That would be funny. Coyer calls a standard Tampa-2, then our Colts defenders wink at one another, then they go all-out blitz... And to no one's surprise, it works!

And I guarantee (that's a tough word to spell after a pint of vodka), it would be better than Coyer's pathetic calls. Our most over-looked player is Jeff.

Too bad there's not a tough guy on the defense. That's when the "team meaning" takes form. Offensive player is not an appropiate leader although I'm sure Saturday is tough enough:)

I remember the NE football follies year...they found the most unique way to lose a game with a lead within the last minutes. LB Andre "blackbelt" Tippet after one of such game went beserk on the players in the locker room. They went on to win their remaing games and reach the playoffs.

I like it. Although I agree that a speech doesn't change things, a "gut" check can help. I think the issue is that Manning is the fire behind the offense and Painter hasn't provided that. He isn't a bad quarterback but maybe he's still learning how to lead and how to inspire the team.

I'm sure Caldwell is a nice person, I don't think he can inspire the team like Dungy did. The players wanted to win for Tony but I don't see Caldwell as capable of that level of inspiration.

I think with those intangibles from Caldwell and from Painter, we'd start to see "wins."

Well, I'll tell you.

No one said they'd make the playoffs after such a meeting but it is evident that they haven't been playing as a team. Along with defensive/offensive schemes, staffing, coaching, you have intangibles such as attitude. Sometimes when you evaluate your performance and you take this into account in your approach, you may see a difference. Do I believe that they will beat New England? No. Jacksonville, by addressing minor issues, perhaps.

I doubted the meeting would do anything. Those "player-only" meetings work when you have a team that is under-achieving, lacks motivation and is not playing up to it's potential. This isn't the situation with the Colts.

The Colts are a prideful team and are playing all-out and is giving all they have...they simply don't have the talent to compete with the other teams in the league. No player-meeting is going to change that fact.