Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Terrance Brooks- Best pure FS?

I am leery of drafting a player who is surrounded by so much pro talent. I feel that most of the Alabama players are overrated because they are surrounded by so much talent that it helps to mask their shortcomings. That Florida State team was loaded on defense. It seems like over half of them will be drafted.

Brooks may be good, but I would not take him in the 2nd round.

I am leery of drafting a player who is surrounded by so much pro talent. I feel that most of the Alabama players are overrated because they are surrounded by so much talent that it helps to mask their shortcomings. That Florida State team was loaded on defense. It seems like over half of them will be drafted.

Brooks may be good, but I would not take him in the 2nd round.

You wouldn't take him simply because he played with good players..

I can't name any pure CB on FSU.

Brooks: Only has two seasons of starting action after spending his early career with the Seminoles in backup duty at cornerback. Below average height for the position, though his strength and leaping ability make him less of a liability in jump-ball situations than it might appear. .

Highly aggressive defender who will lower his shoulder and fail to wrap up, leading to some missed tackles. Unreliable hands for the interception. Let several "easy" interceptions slip through his fingers in 2013.

I am not sure there is a FS in the draft that is worth a 2/3 round pick. I really hope we don't reach for need. It looks like a lot of SS are there. I hope we go best available. There is no reason to draft someone who isn't going to start in front of Howell. We have other spots that could use upgrade and depth. CB and OG and DL you can never have enough big body's .

Not saying ward is bad but he is a SS. Howell had a few decent plays other than that I'm not impressed if he is better than who we draft then he will start. I don't think drafting a safety in the second is reaching. I would go safety in the second CB in the third then probably DT Coleman from california in the fifth. I have read several articles about our offensive line and I think it will be better than most think. I know it probably won't happen but I would love to go totally defense in the draft. I feel we are good at WR, RB, and TE I might take archer in the late rounds as a returner other than that I think we have all the weapons we need.

Dont want Brooks, Inconsistent tackler, Poor stop and start speed after he takes a bad angle or whiffs on a tackle, Inconsistent hands, Rather have Ward, Bailey or Ladler 

Really? I just watched him, and I think he's exceptional. Nose for the ball, good range, good closing speed, takes good angles, can track the ball over his shoulder and can play the ball in front of him, can cover up the seam and up the sideline, nosy, aggressive and physical in the run game, rarely lets a receiver behind him, breaks on the ball while it's in the air well. He doesn't break down and make the sure stop in the open field, preferring to launch, which leads to missed tackles. And he doesn't have good hands. But the tackling and recognition are an issue of experience and coaching, and both are fixable. Don't care about his hands.. 

I'd take him over Ward or Ladler. Bailey's versatility is obviously intriguing, but I think Brooks is better in coverage. And I think Brooks would be a better complement to Landry. 

Really? I just watched him, and I think he's exceptional. Nose for the ball, good range, good closing speed, takes good angles, can track the ball over his shoulder and can play the ball in front of him, can cover up the seam and up the sideline, nosy, aggressive and physical in the run game, rarely lets a receiver behind him, breaks on the ball while it's in the air well. He doesn't break down and make the sure stop in the open field, preferring to launch, which leads to missed tackles. And he doesn't have good hands. But the tackling and recognition are an issue of experience and coaching, and both are fixable. Don't care about his hands.. 

I'd take him over Ward or Ladler. Bailey's versatility is obviously intriguing, but I think Brooks is better in coverage. And I think Brooks would be a better complement to Landry. 

When I watched Brooks I honestly thought of a slightly smaller (in weight) Laron Landry, Brooks is a hitter for sure but I want my Safety to have better hands to catch then he seems to have, My thing with Brooks is his hands are inconsistent (more a lack of concentration really in my opinion) and his open field tackling would make me nervous if we put him in single high safety looks, I think he can play back in coverage at times(Not in single high looks consistently) but I think he excels as a box Safety, I wouldn't take him over Ward, Ladler or Bailey but I'd take him over several of the other Safeties names thrown around here (Boston, Huff, Dixon, maybe Bucannon)

I have no problem going all D in the draft. I do like Cyril Richardson and Dozier could be tough to pass if they are there in the 3rd.The only thing I would do different is take the best defensive player there. I think this team is in a position to take the best player. There is no hole so big that we have to reach for someone. There are 2 S that would start for us Pryor and Dix. I would not take Brooks at all especially not at 59. Howell is our starting S opposite Landry no problem grabbing another one in the draft but not out of desperation. Maybe someone pops at June 1st cuts who knows

There is not a sight I can find that gives Brooks a 2nd round grade.

NFL.COM has Brooks going in the 4-5 round SB Nation in the 4th the highest i see him going at any sight is CBSSPORTS 71st pick third round. Drafttrek has him at 137 overall. WalterFootball 3-4 round.

You wouldn't take him simply because he played with good players..

I can't name any pure CB on FSU.

No, I am just saying that I would be leery of taking him with a high draft pick. I just feel that when you have a bunch of top level players on the same team, you can make each other look better than you really are. Brooks may end up being a great safety in the NFL.

That Florida State defense is loaded. You have Joyner, Jones, and Jernigan as well off the top of my head in this draft. Next year you have Mario Edwards Jr. DE and PJ Williams CB.

Again, I am not saying he is not good, and I am not saying I would not ultimately draft him. I am just saying that I would be hesitant to draft him early.

I agree with a lot you have said Superman, I watched the NC State game where he forced a fumble and the contact on that play was very good, it was a perfect hit (helmet to football) and he could be an interesting prospect.

What I may not agree on, is the fact that I would take Ward over Brooks on the grounds that Ward is a good tackler but also for a Safety- he allows very few completions.

I would consider taking Brooks in the 3rd, if we don't take Ward. But if we do take Ward in the 2nd then I would take Marcus Smith from Louisville in the 3rd.

No, I am just saying that I would be leery of taking him with a high draft pick. I just feel that when you have a bunch of top level players on the same team, you can make each other look better than you really are. Brooks may end up being a great safety in the NFL.

That Florida State defense is loaded. You have Joyner, Jones, and Jernigan as well off the top of my head in this draft. Next year you have Mario Edwards Jr. DE and PJ Williams CB.

Again, I am not saying he is not good, and I am not saying I would not ultimately draft him. I am just saying that I would be hesitant to draft him early.

Exactly, and you see how Alabama players do in the NFL. I think Mosley is the one defensive player from there in a few years who isn't overrated.

But the thing about that FSU defense is that it's vastly overrated. Go back and look at the BCS championship game numbers. Tre Mason had 195 yards against them. That's insane. In a defense that included Telvin Smith, Christian Jones, Timmy Jernigan, Lamarcus Joyner, and Terrence Brooks, Mason almost burned them for 200 yards. And if you watch the tape, he makes almost all of those guys look bad at one point. And all of the positions are positions that are supposed to have an impact on the running game.

If there is one star from that FSU team, it's Joyner. Whether it's at Safety or slot CB, I don't know. But I would also be wary of drafting Brooks. The best FS not named Dix or Pryor is probably Jimmie Ward. Bucannon is a true SS, but he's probably the 4th best safety overall, right behind Ward.

Yes Landry will be out there the next 2 years but I think who we draft will be chosen on his own overall ability/prospects.

You draft for the scheme, and for this D it is to have Safeties who are interchangeable. So says Chuck.

In our scheme I do like Brooks prospects over Ward. Some see an injury history coming for Ward.  

When I watched Brooks I honestly thought of a slightly smaller (in weight) Laron Landry, Brooks is a hitter for sure but I want my Safety to have better hands to catch then he seems to have, My thing with Brooks is his hands are inconsistent (more a lack of concentration really in my opinion) and his open field tackling would make me nervous if we put him in single high safety looks, I think he can play back in coverage at times(Not in single high looks consistently) but I think he excels as a box Safety, I wouldn't take him over Ward, Ladler or Bailey but I'd take him over several of the other Safeties names thrown around here (Boston, Huff, Dixon, maybe Bucannon)

Yip! Brooks has Maxed out his skills, is a finished product, even Chuck couldn`t get anymore out of him!

For our D i have doubts Ward would be the BPA on our board in the 3rd. 

Teams should be required to show their draftboards 2 years later because I want to see it!

Yes Landry will be out there the next 2 years but I think who we draft will be chosen on his own overall ability/prospects.

You draft for the scheme, and for this D it is to have Safeties who are interchangeable. So says Chuck.

In our scheme I do like Brooks prospects over Ward. Some see an injury history coming for Ward.  

Better scheme fit is kind of what I was trying to say. But it's important to note that the coaches obviously want to use Landry's range and speed on the back end, and use his partner safety as the one who lines up over tight ends and slot receivers in the box. Brooks and Bailey fit that bill, but Brooks seems to have more range on the back end, which is important when they use the safeties interchangeably. I'd take either of those two guys, but I have Brooks over Bailey. And I don't think Brooks will last to #90, while I think Bailey is probably a 4th rounder.

I'm not sure whether I'd want Brooks or Ward, given the choice between the two.  But I think either of them, or even Jamarcus Joyner, would definitely be my choice in the 2nd.  None of them are lasting to Round 3...not even close (IMHO).  I think my order of preference would be 1) Ward, 2) Brooks, 3) Joyner.  We can't afford to pass up on one of these guys, no matter who falls (within reason) at other positions.  Yeh, there will be good OGs and CBs there, but we need more talent at Safety, and these guys are great values at #59.  BTW, I see some negative reviews of Brooks above and the sentiment that he's a 3rd-4th rounder...but I think the game tape and athletic #s say something different.  I think those thoughts are just plain wrong, and in most years he'd be a 1st round candidate...

The main thing I have seen pointed out the most with Brooks is his lack of play making ability in terms of being able to intercept the football. I still like him though.

I tend to like Huff, Brooks, Vereen, Bailey, Bucannon a little bit more than I like Ladler.  I love the versatility of Huff and Vereen because they both have excellent speed and are able to play nickel corner and safety roles if you need them to.  I don't like Tre Boston at all.