Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

D-Line rotation

Here's what I see, to keep guys fresh.

DE: Arthur Jones, Cory Redding

NT: Josh Chapman, Jeris Pendleton

DE: RJF, Montori Hughes, Fili Moala

There's not a lot of star power outside of Jones, but there are plenty of big bodies. Pendleton should be a good backup NT at 6'2'' and 334 lbs. He's 30 years old, but very little NFL wear on the body.

Aubrayo Franklin I will see likely retire. He was mostly a stop-gap, like Antonio Johnson.

Montori Hughes will get some NT reps, he is like 335 lbs I believe. He is great depth, i believe he can play all 3 positions on our DL.

As far as Arthur Jones though, I am very excited about him, by far my favorite pick-up. He is by far our best run stopper, and can get to the quarter back better than any other defensive lineman 

You mean to tell me we finally got rid of that dag gone Ricardo Matthews?  I got so sick of looking at that dude on the roster!

Whether it was the former coaching staff of the current one it always seemed like Matthews would find a way to stick.  Thank you Grigs for sending him packing.  Das jus my little rant!

Here's what I see, to keep guys fresh.

DE: Arthur Jones, Cory Redding

NT: Josh Chapman, Jeris Pendleton, *Montori Hughes

DE: RJF, Montori Hughes, Fili Moala

There's not a lot of star power outside of Jones, but there are plenty of big bodies. Pendleton should be a good backup NT at 6'2'' and 334 lbs. He's 30 years old, but very little NFL wear on the body.

Aubrayo Franklin I will see likely retire. He was mostly a stop-gap, like Antonio Johnson.

I absolutely love the starters/depth quality we FINALLY have on the DLine. At least 4 of them can play all 3 positions across the line and that versatility will be HUGE. I put Montori in your list of NT's because the guy looked very good there in the few snaps he got there. Unless there are major injuries, there can't be any excuses as to why these guys can't help our defense succeed.

no way redding won't start:

DE: Arthur Jones

DT: Josh Chapman

DE: Cory Redding

It really does not matter.  Jones and Redding will rotate.  Francois and Moala will rotate.  Throw Pendleton in in the mix too...a better end than NT.  We will rotate a lot.

As to a couple of posts above, Guy SHOULD have beaten out Matthews last year...much more productive!!

Great to see the depth building, now they gotta come out during the season and execute and perform like they are capable of or it all goes for nothing. Arthur I think could and hopefully will be a big presence for us up front. His quickness off the ball and ability to penetrate can really cause some problems for opposing offenses. He's well rounded. Those guys just have to play with consistency. It cant be this flickering back and forth qtr to qtr and from

Game to game of playing well then playing like garbage. Consistency was really the large part of our problem. We showed the abilty to play good defense but just jot on a regular basis. That's what we have to figure out and learn to do, is play at that high every Qtr of every game. When we do that were gonna be in good shape.

Great to see the depth building, now they gotta come out during the season and execute and perform like they are capable of or it all goes for nothing. Arthur I think could and hopefully will be a big presence for us up front. His quickness off the ball and ability to penetrate can really cause some problems for opposing offenses. He's well rounded. Those guys just have to play with consistency. It cant be this flickering back and forth qtr to qtr and from

Game to game of playing well then playing like garbage. Consistency was really the large part of our problem. We showed the abilty to play good defense but just jot on a regular basis. That's what we have to figure out and learn to do, is play at that high every Qtr of every game. When we do that were gonna be in good shape.

We had NO Consistency issues with our D-Line.

It was a talent issue. If we looked decent one week it because we were playing against bad teams and a rash of backup left tackles and backup QB`s. Moala, Franklin, Mathews were BAD, especially when they were lined up with our DE`s who did not play well against the run very often.

Two of those Bums are gone and Moala, baring injuries, will see Much less playing time.

Walden was better the 2nd half and Werner should be better. Hopefully we will see considerably less of Mathis on 1st down.

The run D and PR will be better because of More Talent.

We had NO Consistency issues with our D-Line.

It was a talent issue. If we looked decent one week it because we were playing against bad teams and a rash of backup left tackles and backup QB`s. Moala, Franklin, Mathews were BAD, especially when they were lined up with our DE`s who did not play well against the run very often.

Two of those Bums are gone and Moala, baring injuries, will see Much less playing time.

Walden was better the 2nd half and Werner should be better. Hopefully we will see considerably less of Mathis on 1st down.

The run D and PR will be better because of More Talent.

No there were constency issues my friend in how we played as well. And I'm not talking consistency in just effort. I'm talking in consistency in playing to thier assignments, and playing with proper technique along with other things. Yes the talent wasnt great. But it certianly was not because of that alone that we had troubles. Overall consistency in how our guys played in multiple facets was a large reason for our failures. And we did play some good Defense against good teams too, like San Fran and Den. Our D against Den went south when butler went out. So your stement that we only looked decent on D against bad teams is false. Its not just talent, because you can have all the talent in the world but if they don't come out and execute, thier assignment properly, execute proper discipline and proper technique on every play and that game in and game out then the chances are they are gonna get beat and made to look bad. It all comes down to consistency and being consistent in what you do and how you do it.

No there were constency issues my friend in how we played as well. And I'm not talking consistency in just effort. I'm talking in consistency in playing to thier assignments, and playing with proper technique along with other things. Yes the talent wasnt great. But it certianly was not because of that alone that we had troubles. Overall consistency in how our guys played in multiple facets was a large reason for our failures. And we did play some good Defense against good teams too, like San Fran and Den. Our D against Den went south when butler went out. So your stement that we only looked decent on D against bad teams is false. Its not just talent, because you can have all the talent in the world but if they don't come out and execute, thier assignment properly, execute proper discipline and proper technique on every play and that game in and game out then the chances are they are gonna get beat and made to look bad. It all comes down to consistency and being consistent in what you do and how you do it.

Thanks for your thoughtful response.

I guess we were very inconsistent in the playoffs. :D

As i recall SF Ran all over us in the first half, fortunately for us SF had been beatin up by Seattle in their previous game and had lost Vernon Davis for our game. Kaep couldn`t hit the broad side of a barn that day. LITTLE to do with our D. He/their passing game was Off for several more weeks after our game.

JMO of course but the hard hit from the strip sack threw Peyton off for a few series, and probably some emotions with it is what kept Denver from putting up 45 on our questionable D.

I see dumping WEAK Links like Franklin, Mathews, Angerer, Conner, and pass D weak Bethea, and an expected Drop in the depth chart for Moala and Sheppard as pretty clear indications of guys that were not having technique issues.

We will have a good D next season Because of the talent upgrade. As always just an opinion.

Thanks for your thoughtful response.

I guess we were very inconsistent in the playoffs. :D

As i recall SF Ran all over us in the first half, fortunately for us SF had been beatin up by Seattle in their previous game and had lost Vernon Davis for our game. Kaep couldn`t hit the broad side of a barn that day. LITTLE to do with our D. He/their passing game was Off for several more weeks after our game.

JMO of course but the hard hit from the strip sack threw Peyton off for a few series, and probably some emotions with it is what kept Denver from putting up 45 on our questionable D.

I see dumping WEAK Links like Franklin, Mathews, Angerer, Conner, and pass D weak Bethea, and an expected Drop in the depth chart for Moala and Sheppard as pretty clear indications of guys that were not having technique issues.

We will have a good D next season Because of the talent upgrade. As always just an opinion.

I definatley agree adding some better players can and will help, or at least that's our hope. But I clearly don't think that's the sole reason for problems for reasons I stated above. You can have great talent all day long but what if they don't constantly use those fundamentals and they lose discipline on plays or use poor technique sometimes but great technique at other times. That type of stuff being on and off with it would be called inconsistent. It stuff like that I'm saying was a large part of our problem, in my opinion of course. Just the consistency of how our guys collectively executed thier assignments, stayed discipline into thier assighnment and not trying to be a superhero and all those things. Because when one link of the chain breaks, what happens...? The whole chain falls apart. It only takes one. So that's where I think we gotta shore up and focus. But that's just me. :)