Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will RG3 ever live up to the hype

Naptown Lifer

So many people predicted this guy would be better than luck coming out and he was good year one, until as many predicted he got hurt and he sucked year two. Will he ever regain momentum and live up to expectations? MY opinion is no. I think the experts who evaluated him as better than luck should get a head exam personally. What say you?

I don't know, we'll see. I think RG3 could make a comeback, but the Redskins coaches have to do a better job of keeping him out of harms way by not letting him run so much.

I think Shanahan played a role in Robert Griffin III taking a few steps back... and now that he is gone things should be looking up for Washington. Of course, when your qb is being drilled into the ground he was quite familar with that view.

So many people predicted this guy would be better than luck coming out and he was good year one, until as many predicted he got hurt and he sucked year two. Will he ever regain momentum and live up to expectations? MY opinion is no. I think the experts who evaluated him as better than luck should get a head exam personally. What say you?

I think 'experts' said that Luck was better and he is..

...Concerns about him staying healthy were there before the draft and they're still here

I think Shanahan played a role in Robert Griffin III taking a few steps back... and now that he is gone things should be looking up for Washington. Of course, when your qb is being drilled into the ground he was quite familar with that view.

Yeah I think Jay Gruden's west coast offense will help RG3, but for sure they need to protect him because another serious injury for him could be career threatening.

Yeah I think Jay Gruden's west coast offense will help RG3, but for sure they need to protect him because another serious injury for him could be career threatening.

It should be interesting to see how that team looks in the future... they are another who made very few moves in free agency. Mainly because of cap issues if I'm not mistaken.

It should be interesting to see how that team looks in the future... they are another who made very few moves in free agency. Mainly because of cap issues if I'm not mistaken.

I don't expect them to be good in 2014, but in that division you never know.

We may not know and it may not be RG3's fault.   A lot depends on the coaching and support he gets from the Redskins.

But I think RG3 can still be great -- even if he's not as good as Luck.    RG3 can still live up to the hype and be not quite as good as Luck.   

He's got special skills.   Now he needs to be surrounded with some special talent around him.   The way the Colts are trying to put pieces around Andrew.

Plus.......   RG3's career is only two years old....  and one of those years he was damaged goods and shouldn't have been playing as much as he did.    That was a mistake that wasn't his fault.    Washington badly managed that.

Fans are not patient people.   And I don't expect fans of the Colts to be supportive of RG3.......   but, I wouldn't bet against the kid turning out to be a very, very good NFL QB.    Not as good as Luck.   But still very good.

Yeah, being with a new coach in a new system should help Griffin out. As long as he doesn't run himself into missing more time, he should start to improve his play from the fiasco that was last year's Redskins.

Remember, it is tough for any QB who is in a new system. So 2014 is going to be a learning year again for RGIII. I think that was one of reasons we went with Pep, we did not want to make Luck go into a brand new offense and coordinator in his second year, and it worked really well. Keeping your coaches, stability, plays a lot into how a QB will succeed.

i think rg3 will continue to sprial downwards. He criticizes his superiors openly during the season (no class), hes a know it all, and he strikes me as someone who just got by in college on athletic ability and not that great of a conference. His media circus that he embraces doesnt make it any better. He has to be in the spot light. Maybe he should spend more time in the weight room than making gatorade commercials that make him look like a Rocky wannabe, or posting his wedding registry for fans to buy him crap, i mean seirously? How conceited is that? I just dont see his capacity to improve. I honestly wouldnt be surprised to find out he gets suspended for getting high or beating a woman.

The Rams are going to be scary now thanks to all of Washington's draft picks. In fact they should compete for a playoff spot.

I agree. The Rams have a tough physical defense and Jeff Fisher has started to surround Sam Bradford with some good weapons. 

No one said RG3 was better than Luck coming out of college. Many said his rookie year was better than Luck's. I think RG3 will recover and have a good career, but he will not be more successful than Luck.

Actually i remember a good amount of people saying RGIII had a higher ceiling than Luck but Luck was the most polished NFL ready QB.

hmmm really? you mustve not watched espn leading up to the draft

No, I was not watching. But, in NYC, all the sports personalities said Luck was the best quarterback prospect since Manning. In addtition, I am a fan of Stanford football and I follow their program. I knew the kind of player Luck was.

ESPN will do anything for ratings. That includes having people disagree and say outrageous things to get viewers to come back and watch. They obviously have you hooked.

Oh goodie. Another one of these threads. :)

RG is playing for maybe the most dysfunctional FO in all of football. And he plays a style of football that gets him injured. The deck is stacked against him ever reaching the hype but he has the skills to get there if things line up for him.

The QB to watch is Wilson. He has already exceeded what little if any hype he had coming out of college.

Actually i remember a good amount of people saying RGIII had a higher ceiling than Luck but Luck was the most polished NFL ready QB.

Maybe, but all the sports radio people that I listen to in NY preferred Luck. They not only said he was the best player coming out that year, but that he was the best since Manning.

Maybe, but all the sports radio people that I listen to in NY preferred Luck. They not only said he was the best player coming out that year, but that he was the best since Manning.

I remember that also, i think it was pretty much a coin flip at the time. Heck I remember people on this forum wanting RGIII

The QB to watch is Wilson. He has already exceeded what little if any hype he had coming out of college.

But but.... he's just a game manager! 

He certainly has benefited from landing in a much better situation in Seattle than say Washington, Indy or even Miami. However it's a little unfair to bash him just for this, the guy can play, I'd love to see what he could do with the reigns taken all the way off and having to put the team on his back a la Luck or Bob Gryffindor 3.

But but.... he's just a game manager! 

He certainly has benefited from landing in a much better situation in Seattle than say Washington, Indy or even Miami. However it's a little unfair to bash him just for this, the guy can play, I'd love to see what he could do with the reigns taken all the way off and having to put the team on his back a la Luck or Bob Gryffindor 3.

Luck was more of a game manager this year for the Colts until the post-season and that was due more to injury that they handed him the reigns.

I think smart teams know even the Pats and Broncos that you can't put everything on the QB and win, hence why both teams have made huge defensive FA signings this season. I think Wilson will continue to mature and develop like the other young QBs but he really has no weakness to his game that I can see and that is why I brought him up. For a third round pick, he has moved to the forefront and that is hard to do at the most difficult position in all of sports.

I never liked RG3. Overhyped and arrogant was how I viewed him. I prayed that we didnt take him in the draft over Luck.

I think he is one of the most arrogant and overhyped QB's ever. I think he bought into it all. I think that Snyder isnt helping matters any.

I can't picture things getting better for him, without his ability to run he has backup QB skills. His style of play doesnt work in the NFL and his body is too small to absorb the hits and keep going.

I would compare him to Vick but I think Vick actually will have had the better career because he kept finding teams to start for, I think RG3 will be a redskin for his entire career, which could be very short.

I don't know, we'll see. I think RG3 could make a comeback, but the Redskins coaches have to do a better job of keeping him out of harms way by not letting him run so much.

Or talk so much. He has role models from his own draft class "Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson". How can you not love these guys.

I started hating him when he turned into a Diva for a guy who has accomplished NOTHING. 

Hoge was 100% correct, imo.

I'm not going to fault Robert this last season on a team that all but had their coach quit on them mid season or before.

Not to mention Robert was recovering from a major knee injury and still was putting up better numbers than Luck & Wilson from week 1 till he was benched by Shananigans after 13 games this last season.

Robert had a historical rookie season and now all of a sudden, he sucks, has character problems, etc?

You can believe the media hype if you guys want too, but I'm not falling for it.

I watched him at baylor and I know he's the real deal.

He's a classy dude as well.

Oh...btw

Tarik El-Bashir @TarikCSN 24s

Just spoke to Robert Griffin III at the Ed Block Awards and he said "it's safe to say" he will NOT wear a knee brace in 2014. #RedskinsTalk

If Griffin returns to 2012 form, which I'm expecting with the news above. (even with a rookie head coach)

Griffin will be making fools out of many.

Wilson is decent ( but stacked team REALLY helps)

Luck is good ( but pickalicious)

RG3 is a stud ( but early career serious knee injuries has set him back)

in that order, gentleman.

If Robert stays healthy, it isn't even close guys.

Hoge was 100% correct, imo.

I'm not going to fault Robert this last season on a team that all but had their coach quit on them mid season or before.

Not to mention Robert was recovering from a major knee injury and still was putting up better numbers than Luck & Wilson from week 1 till he was benched by Shananigans after 13 games this last season.

Robert had a historical rookie season and now all of a sudden, he sucks, has character problems, etc?

You can believe the media hype if you guys want too, but I'm not falling for it.

I watched him at baylor and I know he's the real deal.

He's a classy dude as well.

Oh...btw

If Griffin returns to 2012 form, which I'm expecting with the news above. (even with a rookie head coach)

Griffin will be making fools out of many.

Wilson is decent ( but stacked team REALLY helps)

Luck is good ( but pickalicious)

RG3 is a stud ( but early career serious knee injuries has set him back)

in that order, gentleman.

If Robert stays healthy, it isn't even close guys.

:facepalm:

Yeah, I've seen all of these. Skip Bayless has always had a man crush on RG3.

Man crush no that doesn't even begin to describe Skip's intense infatuation with RG3 ColtsBTM12. Unbridled, sexual tension love affair would be more accurate. Mr. Bayless would walk across hot coals covered with broken glass for RG3 & claim it feels invigorating. LOL! 

Look when SW1 reviews pictures in the topic "Seen Any Good Movies Lately" at least I will openly acknowledge my intense attraction to actress Zoe Saldana. Skip should just drop the pretense & admit that he can't be an objective evaluator of RG3. That's all I'm saying. 

Plus, Skip takes pleasure in slamming Andrew Luck, twisting the symbolic knife in INDY's back, & falsely gloating that RG3 is better. Yeah right Skip did your Baylor Skins man make the Playoffs this year? I do recall some QB who grew in Germany did. What's his name again? Chewbacca? Mr. Neck Beard? I forget. Kiss my caboose Mr. Bayless. LOL! 

Merrill Hoge was totally, 100% wrong......

........he pick in the time...studied hard..and got it wrong...stone cold wrong..

...wow

Boy, Mr. Hoge missed the entire harbor on this one. Accuracy really Merrill? It must have been the "Operation Patience" t-shirt right?  :P  Good point OUM. 

I think RG3 has talent, but it's funny to see these ESPN pundits eat Luck crow meat now isn't it? SW1 finds it mildly amusing anyway. I can't lie. 

Or talk so much. He has role models from his own draft class "Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson". How can you not love these guys.

I started hating him when he turned into a Diva for a guy who has accomplished NOTHING. 

Thanks Mr. Bond for articulating & crystalizing the RG3 problem for me so accurately. RG3 has no ring yet & until he can consistently be a playoffs contender he shouldn't act like he has already arrived. An excellent point Shane.  :thmup:

Oh goodie. Another one of these threads. :)

RG is playing for maybe the most dysfunctional FO in all of football. And he plays a style of football that gets him injured. The deck is stacked against him ever reaching the hype but he has the skills to get there if things line up for him.

Well put amfootball. I know QB RW well. I saw all his home UW-Madison games & remember the BIG 10 is not a huge media frenzy central broadcasting hub like the SEC & the Crimson Tide are. RW actually got decent exposure in our small midwestern football TV market. 

I am rooting for the kid's continued NFL success. Just like Brady, RW was under the radar initially & he will make his mark in the league I have no doubt. 

Rg3 = Cam... this year he will lead the skins to a division title

The NY Giants will rebound though. I will confess though not seeing Justin Tuck in a blue uniform is gonna feel really bizarre. I don't see the Skins walking all over the G-Men actually.

Tap the brakes on that Skins NFC East title for now. GM Jerry Reese will right the ship IMO. 

RG3 will have to change his playing style if he wants a long healthy career in the NFL.  He'll have to work on his passing game and be more of a pocket passer.  He should try to take a page out of Drew Brees' playbook on how to pass first but move around in and outside the pocket correctly.  Or even Russell Wilson.