Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agency Day 1- Your overall thoughts and opinions- What's Next?

Legend of Luck

Day-1 Summary

Signings

Cornerback Vontae Davis has agreed to a 4-year, $39 million deal, including $20 million guaranteed.

Former Baltimore Ravens DE Art Jones agreed to a 5-year deal, averaging around $6 million per year.

Running Back Ahmad Bradshaw agreed to a 1-year deal. (still trying to find numbers)

Safety and special teams star Sergio Brown agreed to return to the team.

Kicker Adam Vinatieri agreed to a 2-year, $4.5 million deal.

Losses

Running Back Donald Brown signs a 3-year, $10 million deal with the San Diego Chargers.

Safety Antoine Bethea signs a deal to join the San Francisco 49ers.

I am sad to lose Antoine, but overall, I am very happy, not only with today, but with the whole off-season so far.

We NEEDED to keep Vontae, and I was really hoping to improve the D-line,  and I knew we needed RB depth with the loss of Donald Brown.

So far, all thumbs up for me.

As for what's next?

IF they are sold on Delano Howell at Safety, then IM ALL FOR IT. Guy played great in limited time last year. Made big, game changing plays.

So, then our biggest need becomes Center.

ALEX MACK.              If not....idk. What do you guys think if not Mack?

Reciever, our 2nd Corner, and maybe RG then become our secondary needs. Should be interesting.

I am TOTALLY against signing ANY FA Reciever. NO DECKER, NO NICKS, NO TATE, NO EDELMAN, NOTHING.  We have plenty of talent their with Reggie, TY, Da Rick, and Griffer. No spending big money on that position IMO.

I like everything so far, but I can't for the life of me figure out why there doesn't seem to be any urgency in filling the other safety spot. Still holding out hope for Chris Clemons......I think we're done though. :(

Surely we have upwards of 18 mil left of cap room. I mean, as long as we have 7ish left over I think we are good.

I like everything so far, but I can't for the life of me figure out why there doesn't seem to be any urgency in filling the other safety spot. Still holding out hope for Chris Clemons......I think we're done though. :(

I really like Delano. I think that if he has a chance to start and has the entire offseason in that role, he might be a bright spot next year.

I loved today's moves for us, we resigned our 3 big special team players this offseason we've improved in 3 areas on D in my mind MLB Jackson is an upgrade over Pat, living in md Jones made me smile, and I'm stoked Vontae is back.

Things I want to see: 1 more signing at least (hoping for an FS so we can move Landry to SS which I think will work better) or a quality C. I wouldn't cry if we got decker but I'd wrather draft a WR.

One thing I'm super glad for is we didn't sign decker initially. Decker could be a neat piece but Grigson took care of adding a few defensive piece which on paper makes us better. I'm hoping to see more but we shall see just my two cents.

I would eat my shoe if there wasn't at least one more signing. With the release of Satele we broadcasted we're looking for a Center. This coupled with grigson's previous comments about rather starting a rookie DB over a rookie O-lineman leads me to believe that we're definitely still hunting for a veteran Center.

I am happy with it. Grigson seemed focused on keeping our own today and snagged Jones. I'd expect him to focus on adding pieces in the coming days but today was a good day. No crippling loses like losing Davis would have been. I think most expected Bethea to be gone and after keeping Bradshaw the writing was on the wall for Brown. So we retained the parts we needed too and added a new piece that can help us. Good start now we can start plugging holes.

Pretty good day for the Colts and all round a pretty exciting FA opener for the NFL and more to come today no doubt with the likes of Ware etc. 

Thinking about it on my drive in this morning I'd be against signing Decker, with as deep as the draft is at WR this year I just don't think it's as big a need as say finding a C or now a FS. I'd still like to see a NT for cheap even with the Jones signing. 

Liked the Jones signing.  Liked bringing back Sergio- only FS on roster.  Wished we had let Bradshaw go- to much time on sidelines.  Of 2 thoughts on resigning Adam- IMO was a sentimental signing.

Now am worried about O-line.  Any FA signings there are going to be 2 tier or lower again.

Overall, I'd say we addressed what were most important and I like that we retained our key guys. However, we still need to shore up a center and I think we do that today; possible an OL guard too.

I think we give Howell his chance and address the secondary during draft...Or will we address the Oline in draft and address the secondary now?

Mind bending....

Liked the Jones signing. Liked bringing back Sergio- only FS on roster. Wished we had let Bradshaw go- to much time on sidelines. Of 2 thoughts on resigning Adam- IMO was a sentimental signing.

Now am worried about O-line. Any FA signings there are going to be 2 tier or lower again.

I don't agree with Adam being signed for sentimental means. The NFL is wanting to adjust the extra point and we had to have a proven kicker that we have faith in to get us those points. He's still deadly from 50 yards in. Beyond that, which he gets a ton of unneeded criticism, he's not the best by far but not too many kickers are. And none of them are available so we went with our best option by keeping our Hall of Fame kicker.

I don't agree with Adam being signed for sentimental means. The NFL is wanting to adjust the extra point and we had to have a proven kicker that we have faith in to get us those points. He's still deadly from 50 yards in. Beyond that, which he gets a ton of unneeded criticism, he's not the best by far but not too many kickers are. And none of them are available so we went with our best option by keeping our Hall of Fame kicker.

My question becomes, what happens when he misses extra points because of the increased range.  If he was younger, then I would have no problem.  At 41, he going to continue to go down hill (I know as I am 57).

My question becomes, what happens when he misses extra points because of the increased range. If he was younger, then I would have no problem. At 41, he going to continue to go down hill (I know as I am 57).

They haven't moved the extra point yet, even if they do, its well within his range

They haven't moved the extra point yet, even if they do, its well within his range

Will it still be well within his range in game 13 or next year?  That was my problem with it.  As I stated in a preveious post, if he was younger then I would not have a problem with it.

I hope Andrew is working on his Fran Tarkenton moves because it's hard to believe offensive line will be much better next year. I realize we lost one starter to injury last year and he'll be back, but injuries happen to linemen every year. We need at least two good linemen to add to the mix and they need to be ready to play on Day 1.

It seems Grigs is favoring Polian's philosphy on Free agency a bit more.  Sign your own and don't over pay for someone elses.

Outside Colts:

Arthur Jones

D'Qwell Jackson

Both seem to be reasonable contracts for the production they bring to the table.

Signing their own:

Vontae Davis

Sergio Brown

Fili Moala

AV

Pat MacAfee

Ahmed Bradshaw

Then you throw in the contract extension to Hickman and the tender offer to Reitz and Johnson.

We need Center, Safety, CB. Why haven't we signed a guard??? 

We need to sign a Center and we definitely a Safety. 

We'll draft O-Line, CB, WR, LB, and RB. 

Be patient, we will sign a Center. I would have liked to have Asamoah, but maybe Grigson doesn't feel that there's sufficient bang for the buck in the available options at Guard. Maybe he will sign someone tomorrow or the day after. Not everything has to be done on Day 1. It can't be.

We still have lots of players we need to resign before dipping into the FAs to fill gaps in depth.

I doubt that a RB is high on our board in the draft, having resigned Bradshaw and already having T-Rich and Ballard. Maybe Safetys are high on our board.