Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Davis deal looks much better tonight!

loudnproudcolt

I really wanted Vontae back, We spent a 2nd rounder on him, plus he was the best press coverage guy outthere I felt. When I heard the price, I was like wow, that is a lot of money. I love hearing all the names in FA, but it is for plugging in some weak spots, not building a team. You keep your own players in this league that are good, that is how you win!

So back to Davis, I thought it was pricey, but Shields had set the market with his 4 yr./39M contract, so you knew it was going to be pricey, and the Jets according to Schefter thought they had Davis. We must of come back in the last moment, and I am glad we did. Then Verner came across the wire at 6M a year, don't know the guaranteed, and I thought, oh well everyone is going to thing we overpaid massively. Of course Verner is more zone, and not a press coverage guy, and not nearly as big as some of the other prospects. Then all of a sudden tonight I look at the massive contracts of Talib and Byrd.

Talib 6 yr./57M with 26M guaranteed, and keep in mind the guaranteed is always the most important. Davis only has 20M guaranteed.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24479083/report-broncos-sign-aqib-talib-to-six-year-57m-deal

Then the Byrd contract I saw next, and for a safety I could not believe it. 6 yr./54M with 28M guaranteed. Could not believe it! 28M guaranteed. Davis keeps looking better all the time!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24478882/saints-sign-jairus-byrd-to-six-year-deal

After digesting that news, I thought we really did a good job on the first today. We did overpay a little, but in the grand scheme, not much. Plus we kept our own players! I don't know how the Saints are going to digest that deal with Byrd. They have 2M in cap space. They have already release so many players, and Jenkins at satety was not bad. Losing Lance Moore hurts, he was a favorite target of Brees when healthy. Losing Sproles and Pierre Thomas is really going to hurt. Brees has a cap hit right now of 26.7M this year. I wonder what Jimmy Graham is thinking after the Byrd signing and him being designated a TE under the franchise. How in the hell will they be able to ink him to a long term deal this year or next. They are going to be in cap hell for a long time, and have lost a great deal of their weapons on offense.

One last thought. I loved the signing of Aurthur Jones, seemed to go under the radar at most news outlets, but not surprising. Good signing for us. Lets find a Center, and hopefully a FS, and I will be happy moving the rest of that cap money to next year where we are going to have a large amount due to prudent spending on FA's this year.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Davis had us between and a rock and a hard place and he knew it and used it to suck every penny out of the Colts he could.  Can't fault him for that, well his agent for that.  It's his job.  Still WNDE pointed out that the Colts could probably get out of this deal in two years if they really needed too. 

I like what we did today... Davis was at the market price and with not having a 1st rnd pick... we needed to keep him..

Jones.. makes the D much better..

I hope we get a Center ( EDS ) and would love to get Clemons for Bethea's replacement... then we go to draft and get BPA 

I am sure Grigson will front load the contract if we have a lot of cap space left so if we need to get out of it for some reason, we will be able to. Hopefully Vontae keeps growing and that will not be the case.

The deal and how it is structured, along with cap space we will have saved going forward will allow us to sign our 2012 class of FA's and Castanzo, and still be in good shape after the 2015 season or before it to extend Luck. Our cap management is being done really well, and allowing us each year to plug in a couple FA pieces. The most important thing as I said before though, is our cap management is allowing us to sign our players we drafted, know the system, and are very good players. We will have at least 4 players from 2012 to extend next year. If we were the Saints or Cowboys, that would not be the case.

It's actually a really good deal. Colts resigned him before he reached his prime. After 4 years it will be time to get younger in the position again. We could franchise tag him.

Plus I said it earlier today, if we didn't do it first thing today and we waited for byrd and Aqib talib, Vontae would have had to get a bigger contract. After seeing all those numbers, I don't even want to see Revis new contract...

It's actually a really good deal. Colts resigned him before he reached his prime. After 4 years it will be time to get younger in the position again. We could franchise tag him. Plus I said it earlier today, if we didn't do it first thing today and we waited for byrd and Aqib talib, Vontae would have had to get a bigger contract. After seeing all those numbers, I don't even want to see Revis new contract...

after 4 years vontae will be 29. That's still a pretty decent age. After this contract, we should sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal again and then move on.

Ya, when I first saw the deal I thought it was a little steep. Then when I saw the Talib deal I thought, wow, we got a bargain. I was all for keeping Davis and knew it would be expensive. But giving Talib that kind of $ is crazy. Talib comes with some baggage and he's not that far removed from his legal issues. I think he's a risk and glad we kept Davis and didn't go that route with a guy like Talib

The Davis deal is steep IMO. But glad we got him locked up. The Denver deal with Talib is ridiculous and will most likely go down as one of the worst FA signings ... they look like a team that is scared of the Pats.

No they don't :facepalm: They look like a team going all in to win a superbowl. They beat the patriots in the playoffs with the team they already had

No they don't :facepalm: They look like a team going all in to win a superbowl. They beat the patriots in the playoffs with the team they already had

And teams going "all in" in FA win championships. This is a knee jerk reaction to the Super Bowl loss. There were plenty of corners available including their own and yet they broke the bank on an injured and immature CB. 

And teams going "all in" in FA win championships. This is a knee jerk reaction to the Super Bowl loss.

No, its knowing they only have peyton for another year or two. Elway knows this will hurt them in the long term. I look for the patriots to do something similar in the next year or so. You don't get many more chances with HOF qbs in their late 30's

No, its knowing they only have peyton for another year or two. Elway knows this will hurt them in the long term. I look for the patriots to do something similar in the next year or so. You don't get many more chances with HOF qbs in their late 30's

Are you kidding? The Patriots would NEVER do that deal with or without Brady. Hence why Talib was not signed by them. I am sure Kraft and Bill are doing the dance of joy over Denver paying that for Talib given he does not stay on the field for playoff games. They understand building championships comes from drafting well and supplementing with the draft. That is what good teams do. Overpaying for FAs is a page right out of the Redskins. 

Are you kidding? The Patriots would NEVER do that deal with or without Brady. Hence why Talib was not signed by them. I am sure Kraft and Bill are doing the dance of joy over Denver paying that for Talib given he does not stay on the field for playoff games. They understand building championships comes from drafting well and supplementing with the draft. That is what good teams do. Overpaying for FAs is a page right out of the Redskins.

Please remind me when the redskins had a HOF qb coming off the greatest regular season in the history of the league.

Please remind me when the redskins had a HOF qb coming off the greatest regular season in the history of the league.

What does that have to do with anything? Its about winning championships not historic regular seasons. Denver was not even on the same planet with Seattle who has built its powerhouse team though the draft and smart FA acquisitions and they have done so in a few short seasons with an average, undersized QB.

Ya, when I first saw the deal I thought it was a little steep. Then when I saw the Talib deal I thought, wow, we got a bargain. I was all for keeping Davis and knew it would be expensive. But giving Talib that kind of $ is crazy. Talib comes with some baggage and he's not that far removed from his legal issues. I think he's a risk and glad we kept Davis and didn't go that route with a guy like Talib

Then you see that Verner only got a 4 year $26.5 mil and $14 guaranteed and it makes you think.

Then you see that Verner only got a 4 year $26.5 mil and $14 guaranteed and it makes you think.

Ya, but like a read or heard on NFL network, the market for zone cover corners was not what it was for the press man corners. So, when you look at guys like Shields, Davis and Talib the deals were fairly similar. I'm not going to argue that all them got overpaid but that's just what the market was dictating for those guys.

What does that have to do with anything? Its about winning championships not historic regular seasons. Denver was not even on the same planet with Seattle who has built its powerhouse team though the draft and smart FA acquisitions and they have done so in a few short seasons with an average, undersized QB.

That's my point, the broncos don't have that luxury. They only have peyton for a short time. Theyare spending big on the defense to win now, not five years from now

I looovvvve that we re-signed Vontae. I don't think he's hit his ceiling yet either. 

Vontae > Verner > Shields. Talib might be a little better, but he always get "hurt" in the big games.

I say we put a visor on Vontae's helmet and beam a hologram across it that makes every QB look like Tom Brady. 

That's my point, the broncos don't have that luxury. They only have peyton for a short time. Theyare spending big on the defense to win now, not five years from now

You are missing the point. Teams that go all in rarely win the ring. You saw that in the SB last year where the Broncos were woefully under matched. Players that are not franchised are the ones that their own teams felt were not top talent and are usually older or injury-prone. Hard to win with that formula not to mention cap issues in the very near future. Remember Elway is the same GM that felt Tebow should be a starter and did so from fan pressure. 

Ya, but like a read or heard on NFL network, the market for zone cover corners was not what it was for the press man corners. So, when you look at guys like Shields, Davis and Talib the deals were fairly similar. I'm not going to argue that all them got overpaid but that's just what the market was dictating for those guys.

Very true......and I gotta believe Seattle GM John Schneider experienced some severe rectal discomfort after Elway foolishly gave Talib that rich a deal.

Richard Sherman doesn't strike me as a "hometown discount" kinda guy.....and his contract expires after this season.

You are missing the point. Teams that go all in rarely win the ring. You saw that in the SB last year where the Broncos were woefully under matched. Players that are not franchised are the ones that their own teams felt were not top talent and are usually older or injury-prone. Hard to win with that formula not to mention cap issues in the very near future. Remember Elway is the same GM that felt Tebow should be a starter and did so from fan pressure.

Starting Tebow had everything to do with Kyle Orton being terrible. Everyone knows that this isn't the answer to long term success, but for a short run followed by a complete rebuild. They are betting they can win it all in the next year or two

Starting Tebow had everything to do with Kyle Orton being terrible. Everyone knows that this isn't the answer to long term success, but for a short run followed by a complete rebuild. They are betting they can win it all in the next year or two

If it had everything to do with Orton being terrible then Quinn would have been the starter not the third string Tebow. Elway buckled under the fan pressure to start Tebow. 

You are right about the short term and then the rebuild. No way around that with these types of signings. But let me ask you, do you really think Talib gives them a better shot to beat the likes of Seattle than DRC would have? It is just silly. A terrible contract IMO to an injury-prone, immature CB. 

If it had everything to do with Orton being terrible then Quinn would have been the starter not the third string Tebow. Elway buckled under the fan pressure to start Tebow.

You are right about the short term and then the rebuild. No way around that with these types of signings. But let me ask you, do you really think Talib gives them a better shot to beat the likes of Seattle than DRC would have? It is just silly. A terrible contract IMO to an injury-prone, immature CB.

I'm not a NFL talent evaluator. Talib must offer something in the eyes of the broncos staff that DRC doesn't

Very true......and I gotta believe Seattle GM John Schneider experienced some severe rectal discomfort after Elway foolishly gave Talib that rich a deal.

Richard Sherman doesn't strike me as a "hometown discount" kinda guy.....and his contract expires after this season.

Yes, Polian can laugh all he wants about the deal that Davis got but the fact of the matter is that guys with similar skills were getting that kind of $ even before FA opened. The other part of it is that we needed Davis' skills to make this kind of defense go and if we didn't retain him or sign another player with similar talent it was taking a big risk that you could find someone in the draft that could fill his shoes. Given that we did not have a first round pick it would have been highly unlikely. Plus, Davis is 25. He's in his prime. If he plays up to his potential then its a solid deal.

When I first saw the Art Jones deal I thought wow, we overpaid, but then I saw 2 other deals that were right there in the same neighborhood to guys with similar skill and position so that's just what the market was. Do I like it? No, but you can't change it.

What are you going to say when the Pats pay EVEN MORE for Revis later this afternoon?

DUH

I liked what Big Joe was just saying on 1070... Big bro Vernon took a few years to mature, now he's a beast... maybe Vontae will follow his brother's lead and toughen up and mature soon. Imagine him playing like he did against the Broncos more consistently!

What are you going to say when the Pats pay EVEN MORE for Revis later this afternoon?

I doubt Pats sign Revis. Not their style to pay the most at the CB spot. The last time they did was Ty Law many moons ago. But if they do then he is worth more than Talib anyways. I still can't believe he got all the guaranteed money. Insane.

Exactly. They are going after it. The deals were similar with Talib and Davis. Talib's probably more consistent but comes with baggage. Davis is good when he wants to be. For $9.75M per year he better want to be good all the time now. We'll see.

We need a center and roaming FS who can get us interceptions. What about Champ Bailey for one or two years? He said that he would be willing to play safety and he's a ballhawk. He could also play CB in a pinch.

I agree. A leadership presence along with him switching to a cover safety would be a good move for at least a season. He'll be good for 2 years if moved to safety. 

Exactly. They are going after it. The deals were similar with Talib and Davis. Talib's probably more consistent but comes with baggage. Davis is good when he wants to be. For $9.75M per year he better want to be good all the time now. We'll see.

Yes he Better be good all the time now And even better than good,,,,,,,,,,,,,Davis is way to inconsistent -Only thing is he is young so hope he gets more consistent and is good for years to come,,,I personally would of rather had Talib I think he is one of the best in the NFL he shut down all the  teams best receivers and tight ends as well (ie) Jimmy Gramm,,,,,,,,,,,,,We should of signed Talib as well Talib is a premare corner,,,,,,,,,He  is up to the challenge of taking away teams best receivers and succeeds -Big mis-stake to let Talib get away from us

I liked what Big Joe was just saying on 1070... Big bro Vernon took a few years to mature, now he's a beast... maybe Vontae will follow his brother's lead and toughen up and mature soon. Imagine him playing like he did against the Broncos more consistently!

Key word (CONSISTENT) ,,,,,,,,,,,Which is what V.Davis lacks -Plus he makes peneties when he starts getting burned