Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Broncos sign TJ Ward

Hamster360

They already have Rahim Moore and Duke Ihenacho. Oh well, guess they wanted to upgrade.

One whiffed big time on a critical playoff play in 2012, then went on IR in 2013

The other is more of a strong safety. They weren't going to teach old dog Champ new tricks, they had to upgrade, especially considering how TEs had gone off against them the last 2 years.

They already have Rahim Moore and Duke Ihenacho. Oh well, guess they wanted to upgrade.

One whiffed big time on a critical playoff play in 2012, then went on IR in 2013

The other is more of a strong safety. They weren't going to teach old dog Champ new tricks, they had to upgrade, especially considering how TEs had gone off against them the last 2 years.

Good signing for the Broncos. I guess this means they aren't converting Champ to safety

they already cut Champ... and as hard as it is to believe, Denver still has over $25 million in cap space after signing Ward... and I'm not sure how it works, but a cap expert on TV said they may only have $25 million in cap space, but they are "Cash Loaded" and can pay more than just the cap space...something about signing bonuses etc, I didn't catch his explanation, but he said they can spend more than the amount they have under the cap.   If the re-sign DRC and then get Jared Allen, plus Von Miller and Clady etc  back next year, they will be a better overall team than they were this past year, in my opinion

they already cut Champ... and as hard as it is to believe, Denver still has over $25 million in cap space after signing Ward... and I'm not sure how it works, but a cap expert on TV said they may only have $25 million in cap space, but they are "Cash Loaded" and can pay more than just the cap space...something about signing bonuses etc, I didn't catch his explanation, but he said they can spend more than the amount they have under the cap.   If the re-sign DRC and then get Jared Allen, plus Von Miller and Clady etc  back next year, they will be a better overall team than they were this past year, in my opinion

A much better team...they will have the defensive stars to match the offensive ones. Jared Allen, TJ Ward, Miller coming back...Elway would have to win executive of the year again.

A much better team...they will have the defensive stars to match the offensive ones. Jared Allen, TJ Ward, Miller coming back...Elway would have to win executive of the year again.

Agreed...if they can re-sign DRC and add a OG they will be pretty much set, going into the draft...word is, DeMarcus Ware is already talking to Denver, too.

And while it may not be popular with a lot of folks here...after Peyton went to Denver, I watched not just all the Colts games, but also watched every single Broncos game...and if Decker leaves the Broncos, I hope he DOES come to Indy...he's big and has good hands and pretty good speed...  I like him and want him to be on one of the only two teams I like and watch lol

But if he somehow stays in Denver AND they make these other signings... wow!

Agreed...if they can re-sign DRC and add a OG they will be pretty much set, going into the draft...word is, DeMarcus Ware is already talking to Denver, too.

And while it may not be popular with a lot of folks here...after Peyton went to Denver, I watched not just all the Colts games, but also watched every single Broncos game...and if Decker leaves the Broncos, I hope he DOES come to Indy...he's big and has good hands and pretty good speed...  I like him and want him to be on one of the only two teams I like and watch lol

But if he somehow stays in Denver AND they make these other signings... wow!

I'm not sure if the Colts have the money or would be willing to spend on Decker now after the Davis deal. I think they'll address the secondary and definitely the offensive line first as priorities but who knows. But yeah it wouldn't surprise me if he does stay in Denver lol.

That is a perfect fit and a great deal for them. He is a nice fit there. They still have need at corner though. DRC is FA and their other starter is coming off ACL. That defense still has needs but they are off to a perfect start...I would have taken him for that...even with Landry here. They should be fine on offense...they have Clady coming back....move Clark to RT and Franklin inside.....they are just fine. They may bring in a wr in the draft to get value $$ and if they add Allen or Ware....they have a shot to repeat in the AFC. That team is set on the offense...they just need to focus on that defense....and Ward is perfect for what they needed.

That is a perfect fit and a great deal for them. He is a nice fit there. They still have need at corner though. DRC is FA and their other starter is coming off ACL. That defense still has needs but they are off to a perfect start...I would have taken him for that...even with Landry here. They should be fine on offense...they have Clady coming back....move Clark to RT and Franklin inside.....they are just fine. They may bring in a wr in the draft to get value $$ and if they add Allen or Ware....they have a shot to repeat in the AFC. That team is set on the offense...they just need to focus on that defense....and Ward is perfect for what they needed.

That's what I read about the O-line, too...They think it will be stronger with Franklin inside...

.....If they don't resign Decker..they actually could get both Allen and Ware in the $6.5-7 mil range..

..but there is also a need at LB

That's what I read about the O-line, too...They think it will be stronger with Franklin inside...

.....If they don't resign Decker..they actually could get both Allen and Ware in the $6.5-7 mil range..

..but there is also a need at LB

Yeah I forgot about LB...they do have to replace Woodyard....but I suspect they only get one of those two..that would be a bit redundant. They still haven't replaced their corner yet but they do have money...they still have roughly 20 million and while I know they aren't going to tie up all their money with free agents they have coming up next year they have a very small window and big needs on defense....it was really tough watching that defense last year live by the skin of their teeth.

I guess they are going to count on Peyton to turn Caldwell into a top receiver because it sure looks like they aren't resigning Eric Decker..and Knowshon

,,and I agree...they've got a chance to add some very experienced defenders here..

,.....and they really seem to recognize the need to...

Allen, Ware and Von Miller would from a feared pass rush

???

The Browns are seriously paying Whitner 1.5M/year more than Ward is getting from the Broncos?

Well, I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so.  The Browns screwed it up again.  And they screwed it up the way they always screw it up.  By having a player personnel department consisting entirely of meerkats.

getting ward at 5.5 allowed them to get Talib....

..but there's no getting Ware AND Allen...its either or now

I don't think they were ever getting both...you can't even play them all at the same time. I imagine they prefer Ware but if they can't make it work they will fall back on Allen. That said they likely can sign a mlb and some depth guys in the secondary etc.

???

The Browns are seriously paying Whitner 1.5M/year more than Ward is getting from the Broncos?

Well, I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so.  The Browns screwed it up again.  And they screwed it up the way they always screw it up.  By having a player personnel department consisting entirely of meerkats.

Whitner is a better player....though soo...what are you talking about? He's a better player, stands to reason he would get more money, yes?

Ward is a terrible fit for the Broncos, what the heck are you guys talking about? They scored the most points in NFL history last season, so what do they do....go out and sign a run stuffing safety who is terrible in coverage? What teams are going to be running the ball when they are down 21 points?

Just a terrible fit for them. Ward will get exposed in coverage. 

Whitner is a better player....though soo...what are you talking about? He's a better player, stands to reason he would get more money, yes?

Ward is a terrible fit for the Broncos, what the heck are you guys talking about? They scored the most points in NFL history last season, so what do they do....go out and sign a run stuffing safety who is terrible in coverage? What teams are going to be running the ball when they are down 21 points?

they are playing the run heavy NFC west next year.

Whitner isn't better than Ward. 

Whitner isn't better than Ward. 

Yeah, he is. 

they are playing the run heavy NFC west next year.

Which is fair, but like I said, not a lot of teams are going to be running on the Broncos. EVERYONE ran against the Browns because we were always losing....

Something seem's awful fishy in Denver. They sure do keep finding a way to keep signing high dollar FA's and never seem to run out of money. I heard several radio guy's today also questioning where this money keeps coming from and how they are able to sign these high priced FA's every offseason.

Something seem's awful fishy in Denver. They sure do keep finding a way to keep signing high dollar FA's and never seem to run out of money. I heard several radio guy's today also questioning where this money keeps coming from and how they are able to sign these high priced FA's every offseason.

Easy. Kuper retiring and Bailey being cut gave them an extra $15M in cap space. It brought them up to $32M. 

"Oh well"? This is as significant as last years tremendous Vasquez signing! 

Duke was a disappoint for them. They lacked physicality on D and Ward brings that.

I like Duke, but he's a 24 year old UFA. It was a pleasant surprise that he won the starting role in training camp, but Carter was injured and Adams is getting up there. I'm not sure to what extent they were "disappointed" in him. I think that "reserve" is where he should have been in the first place, and that he'll still be an important contributor.

Of course Moore was (and is) their starting FS, so his deficiencies don't have much to do with this.

This is really a replacement for Mike Adams - and a significant upgrade at that.

: haha:

"It's a conspiracy I tell you".

In addition to Bert's (I can't get used to that, I'm sorry) comments, don't forget that much of the quantity of FA's they've signed have been for very short deals. They are likely giving up somewhere in the region of 14 people who were at one time brought in to be starters, and/or ended up being counted on to play key rolls for an extended period of time.

Out with the old, in with the new (and better).