Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Not to get everyone's hopes up..... Jairus Byrd

Looks like Jairus Byrd will be hitting free agency.

Sources...

21m

Joe Buscaglia @JoeBuscaglia

The offer to Byrd was explained to me as "substantial." The #Bills made a big effort to sign him long-term from what I'm told.

Retweeted by WGR 550

30m

Jeremy White @JeremyWGR

The hits keep coming. RT @WGR550: Source: Bills unlikely to keep Byrd http://bit.ly/OQ5DzS

Retweeted by WGR 550

30m

WGR 550 @WGR550

Source: Bills unlikely to keep Byrd http://bit.ly/OQ5DzS

23m

Joe Buscaglia @JoeBuscaglia

I'm hearing the #Bills explored all their options including a trade of Byrd and now they're unlikely to tag him.

Retweeted by WGR 550

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Byrd averages about the same number of passes defended as Bethea who as we know, plays up in the box A LOT!

If you want to cherry pick a single stat, go ahead. But while you're at it, look at completion % and QBR when each are thrown at. And turnovers. Bethea is nowhere near the FS.

My guess is he's going to be way, way too expensive.

I suspect we'll put in a call....   and when we hear the number they're looking for....    we'll pass....

Then.....

If he remains on the market for a while and no one is offering his asking price,  maybe we'll check in again....  and see if the price has come down....

But,  otherwise,   I don't see it happening.....

I suspect we'll put in a call.... and when we hear the number they're looking for.... we'll pass....

Then.....

If he remains on the market for a while and no one is offering his asking price, maybe we'll check in again.... and see if the price has come down....

But, otherwise, I don't see it happening.....

That's our problem great players cost money. It's just the way it goes we can't hire nobodies every year if we wanna win the Super Bowl. We have to spend the money I'd rather spend it on a few great players that really help the team. Then spend it on a bunch of mid level guys.

I suspect we'll put in a call....   and when we hear the number they're looking for....    we'll pass....

Then.....

If he remains on the market for a while and no one is offering his asking price,  maybe we'll check in again....  and see if the price has come down....

But,  otherwise,   I don't see it happening.....

Pretty much how I see it, Grigson wouldn't at least look his way and make a few calls but Im expecting at best that we get our future FS in the draft and retain Bethea, At worst we let Bethea walk and pick up some unproven Safety looking to make a name for himself out of FA

Hopefully he will want to play for a good team, and maybe take a couple mill less a season. I had rather make 8 million a year for the Colts, than 10 million with the Raiders. The thing is, with the money we have, and the salary cap increasing the next few years, we can sign him and also take care of our other needs. I want to see Grigs go all out, and live for today this offseason. Structure some contracts where we can cut them in a year or two if needed.

I would pass on Byrd. He will cost more than his production will warrant.

He is a good player, but I would not give $8-$9 million for a free safety. I feel that we can get a productive player at free safety through the draft or even free agency. It seems like the Patriots are always cycling through free safeties. They even played former corner McCourtey at that spot this past season.

Safe the money. Spend it elsewhere.

If Pagano wants a defense similar to the ravens, imagine byrd as your ed reed and landry as your benard pollard. kind of. that's just my opinion. but I saw many tweets today from Evan Silva, and Chris Wesseling explaining colts fa.

Evan Silva (@evansilva)

- "So you're the #Colts owner Jim Irsay. Want to make a splash. Have considered Decker. Jarius Byrd now available. $ will be similar. You choose." 12:29 P.M. 3/2/14

Chris Wesseling (@Chris Wesseling)

- "Alex Mack is the best center to hit the market in years. Rob Chudzinski ended up in Indy. Colts have $ and need an upgrade over Satele." 3/2/14

What do you think? GO COLTS

If Pagano wants a defense similar to the ravens, imagine byrd as your ed reed and landry as your benard pollard. kind of. that's just my opinion. but I saw many tweets today from Evan Silva, and Chris Wesseling explaining colts fa.

Evan Silva (@evansilva)

- "So you're the #Colts owner Jim Irsay. Want to make a splash. Have considered Decker. Jarius Byrd now available. $ will be similar. You choose." 12:29 P.M. 3/2/14

Chris Wesseling (@Chris Wesseling)

- "Alex Mack is the best center to hit the market in years. Rob Chudzinski ended up in Indy. Colts have $ and need an upgrade over Satele." 3/2/14

What do you think? GO COLTS

I'd be happy with a cheaper C like EDS if we can get Byrd

The Colts have other needs but they can be addressed with less money and through the draft. When a top 3 safety hits FA, someone who can bolster the entire defense and most definitely warrant his price tag, you go for him.

The guy is a beast he can change a game with his INTs the colts NEED turnovers bad

That's our problem great players cost money. It's just the way it goes we can't hire nobodies every year if we wanna win the Super Bowl. We have to spend the money I'd rather spend it on a few great players that really help the team. Then spend it on a bunch of mid level guys.

Yes like Freeney, Mathis, Sanders.

WE played a number of guys on D who Sucked, and our better players all have flaws. Including Mathis!

We were NOT Solid across the board. Grigson is in position to get a few more VG players and fill in with the draft.

And of course we still have very young guys who have to get much better as a unit. A few that may become real studs.

BTW, TY only had 5 productive games last season.

Another building year, and we should More Solid by Playoff time than last year.

With Only 3-5 Strong teams in the League, we can be very close by seasons end.

And yes i would pay for a few important pieces. Byrd $10-11m sure. Arthur Jones $8M sure. Dansby $6M sure or Daryl Smith $4M. Soliai $4-5M. The last 3 for what would essentially be 2 yr deals, but Pay them.

Get them all. That would stiffen our D!

I would pass on Byrd. He will cost more than his production will warrant.

He is a good player, but I would not give $8-$9 million for a free safety. I feel that we can get a productive player at free safety through the draft or even free agency. It seems like the Patriots are always cycling through free safeties. They even played former corner McCourtey at that spot this past season.

Safe the money. Spend it elsewhere.

With the way the game is played today, having an impact cover safety makes all the difference.