Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Combine Day 3 (Linebackers and DE's)

He really wasn't trying and doesn't have all of his pass rush moves developed yet. He pretty much only has a bull rush and a speed rush and those are fine when your 1-on-1 but when you are constantly getting double-teamed, chipped, ect... you need more in your arsenal. 

He's once in a generation because of his crazy combination of speed/size/power. 

Ehh that still bothers me.  I've seen a lot of super athletic freaks who just couldn't play football.  

It also bothers me that he was taking it easy because he was afraid of getting injured and ruining his draft stock.  Is he always gonna take it easy because he doesn't want to ruin his earnings potential?

His own coach wouldn't even vouch for his work ethic.  

I think this guy is gonna go down in flames in the NFL in the long run.  Major bust potential here.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He really wasn't trying and doesn't have all of his pass rush moves developed yet. He pretty much only has a bull rush and a speed rush and those are fine when your 1-on-1 but when you are constantly getting double-teamed, chipped, ect... you need more in your arsenal. 

He's once in a generation because of his crazy combination of speed/size/power. 

And my poitn is basically that, if he struggled handling double teams in college against weaker players, how the heck is he going to handle double teams in the NFL?  I mean, he can learn those new moves and refine them, sure.  But is it really going to help him that much?  I don't know, maybe.  But with work ethic being part of the questions surrounding him, he's a gamble as to whether he puts in the effort toget better, which is why, to me, I'd pass on him at #1.  Now, I don't think he slips out of the top 10, and certainly not the first round for that.  but I'd rather someone else take that gamble.

Well, and even if I bought the argument that people keyed on him more this past season, if he's truly the once in a lifetime prospect that he's made out to be, he should still have had more production this past year, if you ask me. 

I guess the other team just wanted Quarles to be a good pick too.....he took over....

And my poitn is basically that, if he struggled handling double teams in college against weaker players, how the heck is he going to handle double teams in the NFL?  I mean, he can learn those new moves and refine them, sure.  But is it really going to help him that much?  I don't know, maybe.  But with work ethic being part of the questions surrounding him, he's a gamble as to whether he puts in the effort toget better, which is why, to me, I'd pass on him at #1.  Now, I don't think he slips out of the top 10, and certainly not the first round for that.  but I'd rather someone else take that gamble.

He could handle the double teams (see: his sophmore season), the problem is that he was just coasting like I said. He saw what happened to his teammate Marcus Lattimore who went from a high first round pick to a mid-rounder and had to sit out a year because of an injury in his final season. 

Micheal Sam is way way way overthinking things you can see it in his eyes and his preparation before he runshis 40, He needs to just relax, I think it also had a slight afect on his 40 time, I think he is a bit faster then 4.79

No doubt he had nerves there Gav...and Quite frankly why wouldn't he...he feels the weight of the world on his shoulders now.  Just show your skills young man!!!

Ehh that still bothers me.  I've seen a lot of super athletic freaks who just couldn't play football.  

It also bothers me that he was taking it easy because he was afraid of getting injured and ruining his draft stock.  Is he always gonna take it easy because he doesn't want to ruin his earnings potential?

His own coach wouldn't even vouch for his work ethic.  

I think this guy is gonna go down in flames in the NFL in the long run.  Major bust potential here.

I don't think so. Julius Peppers was the same way. So was John Abraham.

Like I said in a previous post, he had nothing to gain from playing in his final year and had just saw his teammate Marcus Lattimore potentially ruin his professional career in his final season.

He's way to good a football player to be a bust. I think at the minimum, he'll have a career resembling that of Julius Peppers or Mario Williams. With a ceiling that is just limitless. 

I think that he has the lowest bust possibility out of anyone in the draft. 

He could handle the double teams (see: his sophmore season), the problem is that he was just coasting like I said. He saw what happened to his teammate Marcus Lattimore who went from a high first round pick to a mid-rounder and had to sit out a year because of an injury in his final season. 

And I guess if that is really Clowney's excuse, then it bothers me and is reason enough why I wouldn't gamble on him.  I mean, certainly at some point, the risks just become far outweighed by the reward, but to me, we don't have a pick high enough to take that chance.

And I guess if that is really Clowney's excuse, then it bothers me and is reason enough why I wouldn't gamble on him.  I mean, certainly at some point, the risks just become far outweighed by the reward, but to me, we don't have a pick high enough to take that chance.

Sure I get that, i was more just addressing the context of his statline. He's a really good football player. Not a guy who's just really athletic like Vernon Gholston. 

Also liked the way the Smith guys looked out there. Marcus and Chris looked good as possible 3-4 DE's. I couldn't see much on Coleman because it seemed like they payed very little attention to him.

I like Marcus Smith- he is very quick on game tape to get to the QB and he can set the edge and tackle.that being said, he won't be a 34 DE- he'll be a 34 OlB/hybrid ILB- atleast what I hope he would be if in our system.if Skov is gone by our pick- I would hope we take Smith due to his versatility.

Smallwood with a disappointing 5.00 flat 40. Mayock also says he doesn't think he has 3rd round potential, and see's him more as a 6th round pick. He may have pulled something on the run, but it still stands though.

I've been telling people he was overrated. Not that the 40 time is the ultimate measuring stick, but Mayock said the same thing. He's very pedestrian.

Smallwood with a disappointing 5.00 flat 40. Mayock also says he doesn't think he has 3rd round potential, and see's him more as a 6th round pick. He may have pulled something on the run, but it still stands though.

I've been telling people he was overrated. Not that the 40 time is the ultimate measuring stick, but Mayock said the same thing. He's very pedestrian.

WOW!  I am still not concerned about a 40 time here.  Maybe he will fall and make someone happy happy happy....

phil-happy-happy-happy-o.gif

I ran a 5.00 in my dreams last night and I woke up doing cart-wheels...with an injured groin and hammy  :lol:

WOW!  I am still not concerned about a 40 time here.  Maybe he will fall and make someone happy happy happy....

I ran a 5.00 in my dreams last night and I woke up doing cart-wheels...with an injured groin and hammy  :lol:

It should matter when there are faster, better ILB's out there. Borland, Brown, and Bullough just to name a few, all ran better than him. But Mayock's assessment of him is more telling. But let's see how he does in the on field drills, especially the pass coverage ones.

If the Colts were able to grab him in the 2nd I would be happy with that. He is short but from some tape the man plays hard, reads defenses very well, and can lay the wood. The sawed off Keuchly comment was rather amusing lol.

I may get drilled for this but Borland may be a better pass rusher than Kuechly.  Wisconsin used him outside at times to get moore QB pressure.  I think he would be fun to watch in the horseshoe!!

I wonder if he got hurt, or if he'll run again at a pro day. That's very off. He certainly doesn't play like he runs a 5.01. He also put on weight recently, which probably cost him some speed.

Boards had him moving down into the third round, and maybe he'll keep moving down. I haven't seen his workout yet, but I don't think he's slow at all. I think he has good range and is slightly above average in coverage, with the tools to get better. Seeing that time is shocking.

I wonder if he got hurt, or if he'll run again at a pro day. That's very off. He certainly doesn't play like he runs a 5.01. He also put on weight recently, which probably cost him some speed.

Boards had him moving down into the third round, and maybe he'll keep moving down. I haven't seen his workout yet, but I don't think he's slow at all. I think he has good range and is slightly above average in coverage, with the tools to get better. Seeing that time is shocking.

My sentiments exactly!  Time does not lie, but my eyes do not either.  The kid can play football at an NFL pace IMO.

For some reason this fell reminds me of Brian Casserly's avatar....

My sentiments exactly!  Time does not lie, but my eyes do not either.  The kid can play football at an NFL pace IMO.

A couple years ago, WR Greg Salas from Hawaii ran his first 40, and his time came in at like 4.9 or something, which was just ridiculous. No one expect him to be a burner, but he was a quicker than fast, shifty inside receiver with good technique, like a poor man's Wes Welker. He lined up again and ran a 4.6. Sometimes the clock just doesn't report properly, which is part of the reason they run twice.

I didn't see Smallwood run, so I don't know if that's the case for him, but I'm really shocked by that time. But thinking back, that's about what Brandon Spikes ran, at about the same weight, and people like him as an ILB for us. Thing is, the tape showed Spikes as a slower, thumping run defender, and he's had to work in the pros to be less of a liability in passing situations. The tape doesn't show Smallwood as a slow thumper, it shows him as a well-rounded ILB. That's my opinion of him, anyways.

We'll see what happens. UCONN's pro day will probably be in late March. He'll get another workout in. Of course, if he fell to the 5th round, all the more better for us...