Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL expected to penalize players for racial slurs

amfootball

I just don't see the need for a rule that cannot be enforced unilaterally & equally among every player on the field. My point is this: Every culture gives nuances to specific words. A term in 1 culture might not be offensive to another or vice versa. 

Plus, a rule like this disrupts the flow of the game & isn't it enough just to remind players & fans alike to be respectful of 1 another? As my stepmom always says "come back to me when you have a real problem to discuss. Thank you." Yes, ending racism is a noble goal, but so is is not going overboard with political correctness as esmort states above. 

The NFL can't end racism. And racism is not totally embodied in the words that people use. Neither is disrespect. It's really silly to me that people would try to legislate the use of a particular word among nearly 2,000 players that have varying relationships with each other. 

And it's hypocritical. "We're going to make people stop using this word because it's recognized as a racial slur," but any other derogatory speech is ignored. Stop trying to control what people say, when they say it, and who they say it to. It won't work.

Also, it appears that this is the work of a third party organization, not the NFL and not the NFLPA. This third organization is the one saying that they expect the NFL to adopt this penalty, and I think that's incredibly presumptuous of them. 

The whole "shotgun political correctness" attitude in US in all areas (not just sports) getting to be completely ridiculous. Some people just have too much time to worry about trying to make sure everyone else adheres to what THEY believe the moral standard should be.

Did you or anyone else on this board defend Richard Sherman for not being politically correct after the NFC championship game? The politically correct thing to say would have been something like, "That was a great game against a great team in the 49ers. I am excited to go to the Super Bowl." Instead he went on a politically incorrect rant. I am pretty sure he was lambasted on this board for his antics (which I found unprofessional).

Superman alluded to hypocrisy in a previous post. There is a lot of that amongst those who claim to be "anti-PC".

As I wrote earlier, I don't like the rule. The NFL should not be the speech police. But players and fans should comport themselves in a respectful manner. Sorry, you may find that "PC". I call it polite.

An excellent point CF12 why does the NFL not address players of all races not just african american alone? A big pet peeve of mine in this world: The word "minority" encompasses a bigger melting pot than exclusively black in scope or implementation. It makes my blood boil actually. Grr! 

Speaking of Minority, i wonder if white people are the minority in the NFL?  The NFL is being prejudice and racist by supporting only one race.

Did you or anyone else on this board defend Richard Sherman for not being politically correct after the NFC championship game? The politically correct thing to say would have been something like, "That was a great game against a great team in the 49ers. I am excited to go to the Super Bowl." Instead he went on a politically incorrect rant. I am pretty sure he was lambasted on this board for his antics (which I found unprofessional).

Superman alluded to hypocrisy in a previous post. There is a lot of that amongst those who claim to be "anti-PC".

As I wrote earlier, I don't like the rule. The NFL should not be the speech police. But players and fans should comport themselves in a respectful manner. Sorry, you may find that "PC". I call it polite.

I did not come to Richard Shermans defense when he was being bashed, but I seen several who did.  I personally find Richard Sherman to be an annoying loud mouth ... but with that being said I would not be in favor of him being penalized or fined by the league for his rants/antics.  I believe IMO the majority on this board; even those who complain and find him classless and/or obnoxious would not be in favor of the NFL fining or penalizing him (or others) for similar actions and trying to "legislate" it.

This is the point I was trying to make when I called it "shotgun political correctness" ...there is a big difference between not liking (or even complaining) something, and actively trying to prohibit it.  It's one thing to have a negative opinion about something or even complain about it (such as Shermans antics); it is something completely different when you try to force others to change their opinion or how they act (especially through rules or laws) based on your opinion of how things should be. The former is acceptable; while the latter are nothing more than "PC fanatic busy bodies" with too much time on their hands and a misguided sense of moral superiority.

Out of all the more important issues the NFL could be concentrating on they choose to be the "PC Police" ... how about addressing the horrible state of officiating in the NFL; I would rather see them fix that than worry about whether grown men are calling each other names.

This is the point I was trying to make when I called it "shotgun political correctness" ...there is a big difference between not liking (or even complaining) something, and actively trying to prohibit it. It's one thing to have a negative opinion about something or even complain about it (such as Shermans antics); it is something completely different when you try to force others to change their opinion or how they act (especially through rules or laws) based on your opinion of how things should be. The former is acceptable; while the latter are nothing more than "PC fanatic busy bodies" with too much time on their hands and a misguided sense of moral superiority.

I appreciate your explanation. Do you have any issue with the rules of this board? If homophobic, racist, anti-semitic, or sexist words/slurs are used in a post, the post would be deleted and posting privileges may be revoked. Isn't that "actively trying to prohibit" what is found to be unacceptable. Without the rules, the discourse would not be what it is. I think the moderators do a great job on this board; they make sure that everything is respectful (or shall I say PC). Many claim to be "anti-PC" but they practice political correctness in their every day lives. Otherwise, they would suffer social and financial repercussions.

Despite that, I hope this rule is not passed, as it is too hard to legislate and it will affect the flow of the game.

No im not. There would be a total *-% storm is a white NFL player used the n-word on the field.

And even so, that wasn't my point. Balzer was acting like this rule was made up to stop the apparent wide-spread use of the word on the field by white players, when it clearly is not.

I think you're right. John Wooten, the person pushing for this rule to be adopted, was interviewed by sports radio hosts in New York. It was clear that he was personally offended that black players use this word as if this is part of their vocabulary. He spoke passionately about the need for players, especially black ones, to learn the history behind the word. It seems like he believes that legislating against the use of the word will deter players from using it in their every day conversations. He mentioned Trent Williams, a black player on the Redskins, who allegedly called an official the N-word. Mr. Wooten said he does not like the use of that word in music but he said he has no influence on the music industry.

While the rule would apply to players of all colors and ethnicities, it seemed that he was aiming this at black players. Like you said, you rarely hear white players use it but black people seem to use it without inhibition. However, black players and maybe Incognito (I think) use it as a term of endearment while Riley Cooper and Trent Williams clearly used it in anger. They were trying to hurt someone's feelings with a word that produces strong reactions. Using it in this way is reprehensible but I don't deem it racist.

I can not see how this rule gets passed. This will open a can of worms that the NFL does not need and will be logistically hard to legislate.

What are they going to do when black players use the "N" word constantly.

I assume they will throw a flag.

And I assume that if they do not...the first time they throw one against a white player, it will initiate the biggest class action discrimination suit the NFL has ever seen.

What if a playa says '*' instead of '*'? How about 'negro' or 'negroid'? What about saying 'cracka butt cracka'? '*' or 'wet back'?

What if you are singing a song such as 'straight outta compton, anotha crazy butt *' etc. This is going to be really interesting.

Please no more lists like this

Thank you

The NFL can't end racism. And racism is not totally embodied in the words that people use. Neither is disrespect. It's really silly to me that people would try to legislate the use of a particular word among nearly 2,000 players that have varying relationships with each other. 

And it's hypocritical. "We're going to make people stop using this word because it's recognized as a racial slur," but any other derogatory speech is ignored. Stop trying to control what people say, when they say it, and who they say it to. It won't work.

Also, it appears that this is the work of a third party organization, not the NFL and not the NFLPA. This third organization is the one saying that they expect the NFL to adopt this penalty, and I think that's incredibly presumptuous of them. 

Good post.

If they really want to make a difference, they should instill all of this in rookie orientation but have each team handle it. You don't change people by making rules. Not real change anyway. You change them by changing how they think. How they act will follow. It's not a quick or easy process but that's what it will take. 

And wouldnt any racial slurs fall under unsportsmanlike conduct? Which is also 15 yards.

I'm with you on this... it should be more of a blanket misconduct rule. This just feels way too specific, for lack of a better way to put it. 

Good post.

If they really want to make a difference, they should instill all of this in rookie orientation but have each team handle it. You don't change people by making rules. Not real change anyway. You change them by changing how they think. How they act will follow. It's not a quick or easy process but that's what it will take. 

I'm with you on this... it should be more of a blanket misconduct rule. This just feels way too specific, for lack of a better way to put it.

If they want to make a difference, they should focus on conduct -- arrests, DUIs, drug suspensions, etc. -- and forget about trying to control the way people talk.

And I say this as a black man. Speech that one person finds objectionable is commonplace to another person. That's especially true of the n-word. To try to ban this word -- or any word, really -- is a gross overreach.

Well, it is a workplace and most employers won't tolerate certain types of language.

That's a good point. A workplace has rules. If you think about it, the taunting penalty is one that also controls freedom of expression. When that rule was first instituted, some people applauded it while others found it misguided, calling the NFL the "No Fun League". Now it is an accepted rule and not much is made about it.

Well, it is a workplace and most employers won't tolerate certain types of language.

This is lost on a lot of people who bring up the political correct or it is a free America ideas.  This really just boils down to an employer dictating the etiquette of the office.  It just so happens the office for the NFL is on the playing field.  I know I could not say those racial, gay, or gender slurs without any kind of ramification.  

Just because this is a sport does not mean that what is tolerated in society does not apply to the NFL.

This is lost on a lot of people who bring up the political correct or it is a free America ideas.  This really just boils down to an employer dictating the etiquette of the office.  It just so happens the office for the NFL is on the playing field.  I know I could not say those racial, gay, or gender slurs without any kind of ramification.  

Just because this is a sport does not mean that what is tolerated in society does not apply to the NFL.

I think you are trying to say sports and an office are the same thing and they are not the same . . . well specifically the actual act of partaking in the sport and the actions in an office are separate and distinct . . . I can guarantee you that any company sporting event will have more free language than in the office . . . but more importantly, when the athletes partake in the actual sport, everything is left on the field, no different than if you play your buddy at work on a one on one basketball game outside the office . . . your lingo with him will be a lot different than in the office and very likely more like the lingo on the football field . . . 

now when the players come in from the field, much like you from your one on one game, and they have their press conferences, or talks with the media, or interactions with sponsors or the owners, they are not going to be dropping ^^^ or the N word, that will not be tolerated . . . but these acts are more like that one sees in the office, professional interaction with coworkers, the public and customers . . . so on this level the NFL is no different that the office and has rules as such . . . but on the field of play the NFL is no different than you playing your coworker outside of work . . .

we cant blur the two and say they are the same . . .surely the NFL has rules (or at least sanctions) for language used when the players are interact like most do in their office environment, and like the office environments, will not have rules governing how one acts on a field of sports with their coworkers . . . I would fine it hard to believe if a company would sanction what ones says to another in a pick up basketball game . . .

yes and no . . . it a sporting pitch as opposed to an office . . . when the players are in the "office" [locker room, etc] and interact with the public, customers, owners, and as such, they lingo is refined . . .but on a sporting pitch, much like two coworkers playing basketball at lunch or after work, the lingo is a tad different and is left on the sporting pitch . . . two different venues . . .

if you wish you can read my last post which adds a little more . . . I just don't want to redraft it . . . thanks

as for the lingo on the field, I am not bothered by it .  .  . I think that is just comes down to intent and meaning behind the words . . . like Superman has said, it comes down to the context of how one saying it . . . if a WR catches a ball over a DB and says "not that time N-word" or something along those lines, not sure how one can have a problem with that . . . but if one were to berate another for no real reason, like a linemen yelling slurs at another lineman all game long, than that might stand on a different footing . . .

also they do have the taunting rule in place and could just use that if one player is just coming out of nowhere with slurs . . .

The rule couldnt be enforced properly. You can't check a replay.

What if a player says something that sounds similar and the ref throws a flag ?

Guy tries to argue that he didnt say it, tossed out of the game.

What of its a group of players standing together and the ref hears it ? They gonna stop the game until the guilty party confesses or are other players gonna point out their teammates ?

If a player is getting dominated what's to stop him from telling the ref that the opposing player just called him the N word ?

I dont see a bunch of black players, who are really the only people who should be offended by the word complaining.

70% black league, told by old white men that they should be offended by how they talk to each other. How does that even make sense.

I highly doubt this rule is enacted.  For a variety of reasons.  First, you can use the word in a derogatory fashion, or in an endearing fashion between blacks (mindfully ignoring the immense hypocrisy and general reverse racism of this).  So saying the word has a spectrum of application, I don't think it's wise to penalize a team using the word with good intentions.  What about other derogatory words and cussing?  Why would those words get a pass?  Doesn't make much sense, considering the punishment doesn't fit the crime. 

Second, and more importantly, the fans never hear this on the field, or at least the vast population doesn't.  Perhaps someone at the game can hear it used occasionally, but that's no different than hearing it from the stands.  With the 3 second TV delay and the ability to blank out words, I don't see how the NFL would adopt this rule as a measure to clean up the game.  But every game I have ever gone to or seen in person, I've never heard the word (or any other FCC banned word for that matter), so it never affects me thus I can't ever get offended.  I know that players say these things, but even then it doesn't break down my conception of the NFL image.

yes and no . . . it a sporting pitch as opposed to an office . . . when the players are in the "office" [locker room, etc] and interact with the public, customers, owners, and as such, they lingo is refined . . .but on a sporting pitch, much like two coworkers playing basketball at lunch or after work, the lingo is a tad different and is left on the sporting pitch . . . two different venues . . .

if you wish you can read my last post which adds a little more . . . I just don't want to redraft it . . . thanks

Yeah, I totally disagree. The field/court isn't like other co workers away from the office. Kobe Bryant found that out last year when he was fined for using a gay slur.

As I read through this thread, I am somewhat confused because it sounds like some think this is a new rule; but I thought that the "taunting" section of Unsportsmanlike Conduct already included abusive or insulting language directed at another.

Back at the start of the season, I think there was a Seahawk's player who received a 15 yard penalty for something that was said to a Panther's player.

And, then there was a ref (whose name escapes me) who was suspended without pay for one game because of something he said to a player.

I just don't understand why there is so much emphasis on one word.  I suppose it's because that one word is used much more frequently, but there are numerous slurs that are just as bad IMO. 

For example:  I know several guys who would let such a racial slur roll right off their back; but if someone were to use a demeaning word(s) to describe their mother, wife, sister, etc . . . those would be fighting words. 

As I read through this thread, I am somewhat confused because it sounds like some think this is a new rule; but I thought that the "taunting" section of Unsportsmanlike Conduct already included abusive or insulting language directed at another.

Back at the start of the season, I think there was a Seahawk's player who received a 15 yard penalty for something that was said to a Panther's player.

And, then there was a ref (whose name escapes me) who was suspended without pay for one game because of something he said to a player.

I just don't understand why there is so much emphasis on one word. I suppose it's because that one word is used much more frequently, but there are numerous slurs that are just as bad IMO.

For example: I know several guys who would let such a racial slur roll right off their back; but if someone were to use a demeaning word(s) to describe their mother, wife, sister, etc . . . those would be fighting words.

because the word isn't being used in a taunting manner/slur

Yeah, I totally disagree. The field/court isn't like other co workers away from the office. Kobe Bryant found that out last year when he was fined for using a gay slur.

That is a tad different because from what I remember he called out a referee and not an opponent . . . also it fell under the point that he was not trying to trash talk but was statement directly at someone . . . and from the PC standpoint it was caught on national TV and the NBA was kind of in a bind to do something from the PC crowd . . . it was not like he was in the heat of the battle with an opponent and dunked on him and made the comment off camera . . .

Just for the n word? Seems a little unfair if you think about it what if its a slur towards a white or Hispanic player?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3AList_of_ethnic_slurs_by_ethnicity/old

Bai Gui – a highly pejorative Chinese slur that means "White Ghost" but mainly used to refer to any white person.

Redneck – lower than cracker but higher than white-trash

There is a long list where do you draw the line ? 

OK....4th quarter....22-21 Colts over the Titans.

Locker back to pass...the flag flies from the referee.  

BrentMc11:  Wow they are FINALLY calling holding against Mathis...he has been held all day!!

Referee:  "Illegal use of the N-Word number 52 on the defense.  !5 yards!!  (Ron Winter holds a ten minute conference:  Bob Lamey going nuts)

BrentMc11:  What the _____?

Analysis:  The referees are getting worse and worse on the regular calls...why add to their responsibilities?  Get the holding calls and illegal/legal hits correct fellas.and just make sure the language is cleaned up as unsportsmanlike conduct.  Unacceptable when these guys are supposed to be role models IMO....even though we know they all are not. (See Hernandez, Sharper...Incognito etc.)

I believe the person who was suspended was a line judge ? Ellison. He exchanged words with Trent Williams of the Redskins. Williams allegedly called the official the N-word. The official was suspended one game for his part but Williams was not fined or suspended. In that particular case the person punished was not the one who reportedly used the racial slur.