Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The *OFFICIAL* no more WR thread...

bap1331

Not one person has even brought up the yards after catch that Decker brings. Hilton brings his with speed but Decker brings his with talent after the catch. I don't really know if the Colts are or would swing a deal for Decker but it wouldn't make me mad at all. I do know how good his numbers were before Wes Welker arrived in Denver. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not one person has even brought up the yards after catch that Decker brings. Hilton brings his with speed but Decker brings his with talent after the catch. I don't really know if the Colts are or would swing a deal for Decker but it wouldn't make me mad at all. I do know how good his numbers were before Wes Welker arrived in Denver. 

I'm a Decker fan; you don't have to sell me on how good he is. I'm not one of these people who thinks that he's only good because of Manning. I just don't think it makes sense for our team, right now, to spend that kind of money on a #2 receiver, albeit a good quality #2. I think we can improve our receiver corps and the future outlook in a more prudent manner.

I'm not discounting Rogers. I'm just not comfortable relying on him to be a big time contributor in the future. There are reasons he wasn't drafted; those reasons -- drug test issues, fighting in bars, lacking work ethic, etc. -- shouldn't be discounted.

I like his potential as a player. He's just a huge unknown, and to rely on him at this point wouldn't be prudent.

Brazill and Whalen are ordinary.

I don't want to survive (which we struggled to do last year). The offense should thrive. We shouldn't neglect any position on either side of the ball just because people think the guys we have might be good enough. We certainly shouldn't neglect the opportunity to add a young playmaker at WR, someone who can be with the team for the next four years for relatively little money, and maybe be a cornerstone of the offense for the next decade, because we're enamored with Da'Rick Rogers, Griff Whalen or LaVon Brazill. One of those guys is a failed drug test away from an 8 game suspension, one of them was on and off of the active roster last season, and the other went undrafted by 32 teams and then was cut because of character and work ethic issues.

Using LaVon Brazill or Griff Whalen as an excuse not to get better at WR is something I don't agree with.

Could not agree more. There seems to be large hopes pinned on WR's who have given reason to doubt their make up. You are talking about Rogers here but Brazill has done enough dumb things as well to the point of getting himself suspended, to say nothing of his marginal talent.

So the math adds up to Hilton and question marks for a variety of reasons after that. That is not a WR corps that would be the envy of the league as someone suggested.

Could not agree more. There seems to be large hopes pinned on WR's who have given reason to doubt their make up. You are talking about Rogers here but Brazill has done enough dumb things as well to the point of getting himself suspended, to say nothing of his marginal talent.

So the math adds up to Hilton and question marks for a variety of reasons after that. That is not a WR corps that would be the envy of the league as someone suggested.

Yup. I mentioned Brazill also. He's a failed drug test away from being suspended for 8 games. And like you said, a marginal talent at WR.

But according to some posters, he's our second Marvin Harrison.

Can I get a "Dear god," sir?

Yeah having Wayne, Hilton, Rogers, Brazil, and Whalen is a good core for now but if a guy like Matthews fell to us in the second round I'd take him in a heart beat. Why wait for Reggie to retire to find his replacement? Me personally I think it would be much better to get his replacement now so Reggie can teach him. If you think T.Y. would be as good as he is now without Reggie you are sadly mistaken.

Those who listen to those who know -  realize that receiver takes the most adjustment of ANY position in the NFL coming out of college. It is just common knowledge. Due to their athleticism, the really talented receivers out of college are simply used to being wide open as a routine matter. When they get to the NFL they are shocked as they realize how good the corners, safeties and defenses in general are - and the majority of them have to go back to the drawing board. Of course, the exception is always the once in a while receiver that is so incredibly fast that he simply out runs everybody. The less speedy ones really have to scrap much of their habits and what they know from college and start over - learning how to run NFL caliber routes and learning how to get OPEN. I am sure there are a few exceptions here and there - but the lion's share of receivers don't blossom until year two and sometimes year three, four or maybe longer. The "blossoming" can also be hindered by their lack of playing time as experience on the field is the only way to breed substantial lasting improvement.

TY gets it. Of course, he is not yet where he will eventually be, as a top receiver in this league. Not even arguable that he smoked one of the top corners in the league (Sherman) for a touchdown and maybe two. YES, he smoked him, not even close. TY is stepping into his own, for sure and has basically over his first two years shown that he has Marvin numbers. No speculation - in fact, If he had  one more game like Marvin had in his first two years - he only needed 5 more catches and two touchdowns and he would have equalled or surpassed Marvin in EVERY category. Oh yeah, but that's right, he is definitely not a #1 receiver. C'mon!

Whalen and Brazil have been steadily improving - perhaps too slowly for most fans, learning - mostly due to Reggie - how to get OPEN!  The big IT factor here is Andrew, who will drag their butts out on the field and work them to death in the off season. They will  learn through cleverness and repetition the little secrets to getting open. There is an ART to being a great receiver and like anything, it must be learned. Look what Peyton does with any receiver he commits to. I have no reason to believe that Andrew will not do exactly the same as he gets more confident. Between him and Reggie (regardless of RW's health) they will pound the receiver corps into submission. These guys are learning every day and we must be patient. I have seen flashes of absolute brilliance with both Whalen and Hilton and if you have been watching you have too. Give them a chance to find their grooves and turn those flashes into consistency.

Of course, with Fleener and Allen and the running backs - it is a no brainer. Andrew and Reggie will get everyone in line. Rodgers is icing on the cake and Reggie remains a question mark. If the core stays healthy, we will be MORE than fine. 

Now, getting a monster O-Line and teaching special teams and defense how to tackle is the real problem.

ColtsHappy

To sit there and say we should not address any one position is just short sighted. You have to take this season and the following seasons into account when deciding players.

If we are sitting there in the second and the top player on the board by far is a WR you take that WR and do not look back. You take the best avaialbe player not reach just to fill a need.

Wayne - Coming off a major knee injury and is not getting any young

Rogers - Prostpect that showed a signs, but is all prone to make stupid decisions off the field.

Brazil - Was up and down and at times look good and at times was bad. He also is prone to make stupid decisions off the field.

Whalen - Solid WR, but he is no Welker and probably has already hit his ceiling.

Yes, we have an ok core of WRs, but that core is not good enough to say nah we do not need to take our top rated player. The only position that is out of question to upgrade is the QB. Every other position can be upgraded and should be considered if the right player is there.

I just do not feel comfortable relying on Rogers and Brazil staying in line especially Rogers. If both screw up next year and we do pass on a WR we are screwed.

Yup. I mentioned Brazill also. He's a failed drug test away from being suspended for 8 games. And like you said, a marginal talent at WR.

But according to some posters, he's our second Marvin Harrison.

Can I get a "Dear god," sir?

Yes, "Dear God, sir", you are absolutely mistaken.

So glad this is written in stone so I can have my chuckles when we refer back to it later.

And OH YES, we will refer back to it!

ColtsHappy

PS Shall we go back and embarrass the naysayer posters who condemned me WAY BACK for even suggesting that TY might be our next Marvin Harrison?

I think it might be a lot of tun....

:D

ColtsHappy

Oh my god, look out.....

Here they come!

TY is nowhere close to Marvin.

TY is nowhere close to Marvin.

No, actually he has passed him in all but two categories for their first two years, apples to apples, but oh yeah.....

Marvin had an additional game so it really isn't fair to TY.

Do you remember Marvin then?

Not quite as spectacular as he was later on, but pretty darn good and TY is keeping up just fine.....

ColtsHappy

No, actually he has passed him in all but two categories for their first two years, apples to apples, but oh yeah.....

Not quite as spectacular as he was later on, but pretty darn good and TY is keeping up just fine.....

ColtsHappy

Pretty much any good receiver in the last few years who has started his first 2 years has passed Marvin's 1st 2 year numbers. Josh Gordon, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, Marques Colston, Desean Jackson, Dwayne Bowe, Mike Wallace, Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitz, Andre Johnson.

Totally different league now.

ColtsHappy

There's been a gap of about 15 years since Marvin's first two years and TY's first two years...

And in that time all the rules changes favor the offense and not the defense.    That's why lots and lots of WR's have passed Marvins' numbers for his first two years.     It's NOT that all of them are future Hall of Famers.

I'm glad your happy and wouldn't want it any other way.    But you might also try being a little realistic too. 

Just some food for thought.....

So glad this is written in stone so I can have my chuckles when we refer back to it later.

ColtsHappy

Are you seriously suggesting LVB is as good or will be as good as Marvin?

TY you at least rolled out the stats, though apples to apples it was not.

But this..... I mean we'd love it if it come true but I think by the same token of "I'll show you" you levelled at Superman this post will haunt you when LVB is out the league. On bright side at least he can smoke all he wants then :)

I'm almost certain there is no way we come out of this draft without ANY WR. People are crazy if they think we should just wait until next year. No one wants to use that first round pick on a WR. That pick next year should go to defense or a blue-chip Offensive tackle. I think for this season we are set at WR. But we aren't in the near future. Whalen is overrated, as is Brazil who also has off the field issues. Not to mention we lack size in our receiving corps. I want defense in the 2nd round, but if Matthews or Robinson is there and they pull the trigger, I won't be mad.

Or maybe even Donte Mocrief in the later rounds.

Those who listen to those who know -  realize that receiver takes the most adjustment of ANY position in the NFL coming out of college. It is just common knowledge. Due to their athleticism, the really talented receivers out of college are simply used to being wide open as a routine matter. When they get to the NFL they are shocked as they realize how good the corners, safeties and defenses in general are - and the majority of them have to go back to the drawing board. Of course, the exception is always the once in a while receiver that is so incredibly fast that he simply out runs everybody. The less speedy ones really have to scrap much of their habits and what they know from college and start over - learning how to run NFL caliber routes and learning how to get OPEN. I am sure there are a few exceptions here and there - but the lion's share of receivers don't blossom until year two and sometimes year three, four or maybe longer. The "blossoming" can also be hindered by their lack of playing time as experience on the field is the only way to breed substantial lasting improvement.

TY gets it. Of course, he is not yet where he will eventually be, as a top receiver in this league. Not even arguable that he smoked one of the top corners in the league (Sherman) for a touchdown and maybe two. YES, he smoked him, not even close. TY is stepping into his own, for sure and has basically over his first two years shown that he has Marvin numbers. No speculation - in fact, If he had  one more game like Marvin had in his first two years - he only needed 5 more catches and two touchdowns and he would have equalled or surpassed Marvin in EVERY category. Oh yeah, but that's right, he is definitely not a #1 receiver. C'mon!

Whalen and Brazil have been steadily improving - perhaps too slowly for most fans, learning - mostly due to Reggie - how to get OPEN!  The big IT factor here is Andrew, who will drag their butts out on the field and work them to death in the off season. They will  learn through cleverness and repetition the little secrets to getting open. There is an ART to being a great receiver and like anything, it must be learned. Look what Peyton does with any receiver he commits to. I have no reason to believe that Andrew will not do exactly the same as he gets more confident. Between him and Reggie (regardless of RW's health) they will pound the receiver corps into submission. These guys are learning every day and we must be patient. I have seen flashes of absolute brilliance with both Whalen and Hilton and if you have been watching you have too. Give them a chance to find their grooves and turn those flashes into consistency.

Of course, with Fleener and Allen and the running backs - it is a no brainer. Andrew and Reggie will get everyone in line. Rodgers is icing on the cake and Reggie remains a question mark. If the core stays healthy, we will be MORE than fine. 

Now, getting a monster O-Line and teaching special teams and defense how to tackle is the real problem.

ColtsHappy

"TY gets it. Of course, he is not yet where he will eventually be, as a top receiver in this league. Not even arguable that he smoked one of the top corners in the league (Sherman) for a touchdown and maybe two."

It was Thomas and Browner Hilton beat on those 2 TD's

Why don't people assume injuries? It happens every year. 

Wayne,Hilton,Whalen, Brazil, Rodgers....figure at least 2 of them are going to miss time. 

Im in the minority, but I am considering Reggies career over. I am expecting nothing this year and moving forward. 

I'd love to sign Jericho Cotchery. 

I'm very happy with our WR core atm. I'm in the same mindset as Coltshappy to an extent. 

Wayne is and still will be the same great #1 WR.

Hilton has a very bright future and it's quite easy to compare him to a smaller Marvin Harrison at this stage of his career. Whether his production can continue and follow that of Harrison's is yet to be known. I'd like to hope it would.

Brazill is another I think has a bright future. Not as bright as Hilton's but I believe he can have a good career as a #2. Or at the very least a tough slot receiver. I think comparing him to "a 2nd Harrison" was a bit over the top, but like Hilton I am very optimistic.

Rodgers I believe is a bit of a wildcard. It is a bit over the top but I can imagine him being a bit like Randy Moss. Big, fast physical receiver. He obviously wont be as good as Moss but he has similar physical attributes. Plus the off field troubles are also comparable.

Whalen is not going to be the colts' Wes Welker but will be a reliable option for Luck in the years to come. I think a better comparison would be Brandon Stokley.

Think there will be an injury though, however I feel with the number of adequate TE's we have and the potential power run game we'd possess with an improved O Line, I feel that the offence would be more than equipped to overcome an injury and as a result 5 WR's. The 5 WR's we have currently would be good to have for the next year and as a result I do not believe WR should be a target this off season.

You could not have picked a worse example. Decker and Wallace are the exact opposite types of player. Decker is a much more complete receiver and for a team with a good QB he would be around for a long time. 

I wasn't stating that they are the same type of player. Just I think they both got/will get elite contracts for just above average talent. I really just don't see how Decker would make us that much better of a football team, at least not to the extent of what he would demand/get paid. I'd much rather get a cheaper WR like Maclin or draft one late and spend the money on our bigger needs(OL/LB/CB/S).

I can not understand nor get behind this line of reasoning. 

That's because you're smart. I'm hopeful that Reggie will come back and play at a high level, but it's rare for a 35 year old to recover from a major knee injury like this. Reggie might be able to come back and put up decent stats, but the odds are stacked heavily against him. For the Colts to neglect the WR position because they expect Reggie to come back and lead our WR corps would be reproachful, at best.

ColtsHappy

PS Shall we go back and embarrass the naysayer posters who condemned me WAY BACK for even suggesting that TY might be our next Marvin Harrison?

I think it might be a lot of tun....

:D

ColtsHappy

Oh my god, look out.....

Here they come!

Okay buddy. You go ahead and do that. 

But maybe you should acknowledge that Marvin Harrison was playing in an era where DBs weren't policed as heavily as they are now, and offenses didn't throw the ball 600 times a year. Maybe you should acknowledge that he was catching balls from Jim Harbaugh, Kelly Holcomb and Paul Justin, not Andrew Luck. 

Again, I'm a huge Hilton fan, but there's a gigantic difference between early Marvin Harrison and bonafide #1 option Marvin Harrison. So even if you think Hilton is on pace with early Marvin right now -- which, if you adjust for the new era, he's actually not, but whatever -- it's a different story to project him into the greatness that Marvin displayed over the rest of his career. Because when you mention Harrison, you're not invoking the 60 catch, 6 TD guy from the first two years. You're bringing up a guy who retired in second place in virtually every major statistical category for WRs. You're talking about the guy who had 1,600 yards and 12 TDs in his 4th year, who later set the record for single season receptions, the guy who will soon go into the HOF.

So yes, you're waaaaay ahead of yourself in projecting TY Hilton to be a modern day Marvin Harrison. If you want to compare him to early Marvin Harrison, that's fine, but early Marvin wasn't "Marvin." You could compare Jeremy Maclin and Desean Jackson to Marvin Harrison in the early years. That's nothing extraordinary.

Bookmark this if you must. Just don't try to tell me that we don't need to address the WR position because "we have two Marvin Harrisons." 

That's because you're smart. I'm hopeful that Reggie will come back and play at a high level, but it's rare for a 35 year old to recover from a major knee injury like this. Reggie might be able to come back and put up decent stats, but the odds are stacked heavily against him. For the Colts to neglect the WR position because they expect Reggie to come back and lead our WR corps would be reproachful, at best.

Even if he does come back full strength, he's clearly on borrowed time.  Considering it generally takes 2-3 years to fully develop a WR, it wouldn't be a bad idea to start planning for life post Reggie now instead of when it's too late.

Even if he does come back full strength, he's clearly on borrowed time.  Considering it generally takes 2-3 years to fully develop a WR, it wouldn't be a bad idea to start planning for life post Reggie now instead of when it's too late.

Right. Even if he wasn't coming off of a serious knee injury, we should be getting better, adding depth, and setting ourselves up for the future, in that order.

I'd like to address the Guard and Center positions in FA along with maybe 2 veteran upgrades in the secondary. If we do that I would not be mad at all if we took a WR in the draft even if it was between the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  I would love to have Donte Moncrief on this team especially with him just running a 4.4 today, or somebody like a Jordan Matthews if it happened.  I'd be super cool with getting either one of those guys.  We need another big WR who is a threat to go vertical.  I do think it adds a lot to the passing game as well as the running game.

If we draft one big/fast WR with hands and spent everything else on the D line and linebacker spots I'd be okay with that approach to be honest with you.

I'd like to address the Guard and Center positions in FA, if we do that I would not be mad at all if we took a WR in the draft even if it was between the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  I would love to have Donte Moncrief on this team especially with him just running a 4.4 today, or somebody like a Jordan Matthews if it happened.  I'd be super cool with getting either one of those guys.  We need another big WR.

If we draft one big/fast WR with hands and spent everything else on defense in the draft I'd be okay with that.

I think Jordan Matthews just moved completely out of our range, firmly into the top 40. People had questions about his speed, and he ran 4.46. If he lasts to #59, I'd love to have him, but I'm giving up on that fantasy as of today.

I still like Cody Hoffman in the 5th or 6th, and I think Kevin Norwood might have worked himself into that range as well with a good workout.

"TY gets it. Of course, he is not yet where he will eventually be, as a top receiver in this league. Not even arguable that he smoked one of the top corners in the league (Sherman) for a touchdown and maybe two."

Perhaps you never saw this in the IndyStar - if this doesn't copy in well, here is the link:  http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/01/20/indianapolis-colts-richard-sherman-seattle-seahawks-ty-hilton-super-bowl/4659477/

Revisiting TY Hilton vs. 'best CB in the game'

Matt Overton, the Colts' Pro Bowl longsnapper, appears to have deleted the tweet. But it was noticed soon after the much-discussed postgame interview of Seattle cornerback Richard Sherman, who's headed to the Super Bowl after the Seahawks defeated San Francisco in the NFC title game Sunday.

Sherman declared himself the "best corner in the game," shouting into the microphone, and described San Francisco receiver Michael Crabtree as "sorry." This came after Sherman's spectacular play to deflect what could have been a game-winning pass to Crabtree. It was intercepted by Malcolm Smith.

Sherman mockingly patted Crabtree on the rear after the play and gave him the choke sign. Crabtree responded by shoving Sherman in the head.

OVERTON TWEET

overtontweet.jpg

The Colts won the Oct. 6 game, 34-28. Hilton had five receptions for 140 yards and two touchdowns.

Sherman did not defend Hilton on three of his five receptions, including a third-quarter touchdown. Here's a look at three plays where he did get the better of Sherman.

FIRST TOUCHDOWN

Hilton's first touchdown came in the first quarter, a 73-yard reception from quarterback Andrew Luck. Sherman and safety Kam Chancellor appeared confused about their responsibilities on the play. Sherman had underneath coverage on the play, expecting the safety to move over. But Sherman also stopped pursing Hilton when it looked as if as going to go out of bounds.

1390242292000-31-Colts1006-md.jpg

Colts wide receiver T.Y. Hilton beat Seattle's secondary, including cornerback Richard Sherman, for a 73-yard touchdown reception.(Photo: Matt Detrich / The Star)

PASS INTERFERENCE

Early in the fourth quarter, Sherman was called for pass interference on a third-and-10 play from the Colts' 25-yard line. The screen grab below shows Sherman's arm around him.

1390240743000-Pass-int---Sherm.png

Richard Sherman's pass interference penalty against T.Y. Hilton of the Colts.(Photo: Fox)

FOURTH-QUARTER RECEPTION

Five plays after the pass interference penalty, Hilton had a 12-yard reception. Hilton and Sherman are at the top of the first photo, at the 34-yard line.

1390241558000-A1---sherm.png

T.Y. Hilton and Richard Sherman at top of picture on 34-yard line.(Photo: Fox)

Hilton gets separation.

1390241711000-A3---Sherm.png

Hilton gets away from Sherman at top of photo at 33-yard line.(Photo: Fox)

The ball's thrown behind him, but he makes the catch.

1390241855000-A4---Sherm.png

The ball is thrown behind Hilton but he makes catch.(Photo: Fox)

After the game, Hilton said he took offense at a remark about his size by Seattle cornerback Brandon Browner, according to USA Today. Hilton said Sherman didn't talk to him.

"Richard Sherman? He wouldn't even look me in the eye," Hilton said. "Not at all. The whole time."

And another:

Richard Sherman is an outstanding corner. Perhaps the best in football.

He's a tough, smart, incredibly gifted player who, when he came out of Stanford in 2011, wasn't well-regarded as a prospect because of a slow 40-yard dash time. Seattle took him in the 5th round of the 2011 NFL Draft, two spots below where the Colts would have drafted in that round had then-GM Chris Polian not traded that pick to move up in the second round to draft Villanova tackle Ben Ijalana.

This move is one of many reasons why Chris Polian was sent packing in 2011. He now works for the 0-5 Jaguars.

Anyway, Sherman is awesome. I honestly cannot say enough good things about his game. Watch the tape of what he did to San Francisco's Anquan Boldin in Week 2, and you'll get what I'm saying.

That said, on Sunday, Richard Sherman (a.k.a., best corner in football) was completelydominated by Colts wide receivers T.Y. Hilton and Reggie Wayne. In fact, the domination was so thorough, it was near-embarrassing for Sherman.

To use a basketball analogy, the 5'9 Hilton dunked on the 6'3 Sherman, and, in the process, stuffed his nutz in Sherman's face.

Here's Associated Press' Michael Marot providing a breakdown of two of Sherman's many goofs on Sunday:

Hilton's 73-yard score came on a blown coverage on Sherman's side of the field, and he was called for pass interference on a crucial third-down play early in the fourth quarter. That 16-yard penalty allowed Luck to continue moving the ball and resulted in 6-minute, 40-second drive that ended with Brown's go-ahead scoring run.

Both Hilton and Wayne combined for 11 catches for 205 yards and two touchdowns, averaging 18.6 yards-a-catch. Hilton himself averaged a stunning 28 yards-per-catch!

This was against, arguably, the best secondary in football. You could tell Hilton and the wideouts had gotten under Sherman's skin when, after Hilton's amazing 73-yard TD catch and run, Sherman was seen frustrated with teammate Earl Thomas, who took a bad angle to in an attempt to tackle Hilton after the second-year receiver had scorched Sherman. Following Hilton's first touchdown, both players were seen on the sidelines, completely befuddled as to how they'd been beaten so embarrassingly.

Andrew Luck and the Colts continued to go after Sherman the rest of the Seahawks corners in the second half, a tactic many would have viewed as INSANE if not for the fact that it worked! Sherman seemed shell-shocked after that first Hilton touchdown, and instead of getting back to playing coverage, he resorted to grabbing and holding the rest of the game, which he was eventually flagged for on that critical third-down.

That's not to say that the Colts receivers weren't guilty themselves of some illegal pushing and shoving. On the Colts two-point conversion following Donald Brown's touchdown run to get the lead back, Reggie Wayne pushed off on Richard Sherman and snatched Luck's across-the-body throw.

Wasn't mindful of the specifics, just know he kicked serious butt on Sherman, as agreed above. Yes, TY is well on his way to being as good as Marvin - but for some reason many of you seem really resistant to the idea that ANYBODY could be as good as Marvin. Go figure. As fans I would think you would be pretty happy about it.

ColtsHappy

I think Jordan Matthews just moved completely out of our range, firmly into the top 40. People had questions about his speed, and he ran 4.46. If he lasts to #59, I'd love to have him, but I'm giving up on that fantasy as of today.

I still like Cody Hoffman in the 5th or 6th, and I think Kevin Norwood might have worked himself into that range as well with a good workout.

I felt that Moncrief was more of a reality than Matthews originally, but now neither one of them may be possible.  I do feel like we need a WR though for sure.

I felt that Moncrief was more of a reality than Matthews originally, but now neither one of them may be possible.  I do feel like we need a WR though for sure.

There are a ton of WRs in this draft. I like Matthews, but never thought it was a necessity for us to draft anyone in the top of the draft. I'd be happy with one of the late round guys as well. I just disagree with the idea that we should ignore the WR position on account of the guys we currently have at WR3-5 right now. If we had a shot at Matthews or Moncrief at #59, it would make total sense for us.

But yeah, I'm now turning my attention more to value guys in the fifth through seventh rounds. 

Perhaps you never saw this in the IndyStar - if this doesn't copy in well, here is the link:  http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/01/20/indianapolis-colts-richard-sherman-seattle-seahawks-ty-hilton-super-bowl/4659477/

Revisiting TY Hilton vs. 'best CB in the game'

Matt Overton, the Colts' Pro Bowl longsnapper, appears to have deleted the tweet. But it was noticed soon after the much-discussed postgame interview of Seattle cornerback Richard Sherman, who's headed to the Super Bowl after the Seahawks defeated San Francisco in the NFC title game Sunday.

Sherman declared himself the "best corner in the game," shouting into the microphone, and described San Francisco receiver Michael Crabtree as "sorry." This came after Sherman's spectacular play to deflect what could have been a game-winning pass to Crabtree. It was intercepted by Malcolm Smith.

Sherman mockingly patted Crabtree on the rear after the play and gave him the choke sign. Crabtree responded by shoving Sherman in the head.

OVERTON TWEET

overtontweet.jpg

The Colts won the Oct. 6 game, 34-28. Hilton had five receptions for 140 yards and two touchdowns.

Sherman did not defend Hilton on three of his five receptions, including a third-quarter touchdown. Here's a look at three plays where he did get the better of Sherman.

FIRST TOUCHDOWN

Hilton's first touchdown came in the first quarter, a 73-yard reception from quarterback Andrew Luck. Sherman and safety Kam Chancellor appeared confused about their responsibilities on the play. Sherman had underneath coverage on the play, expecting the safety to move over. But Sherman also stopped pursing Hilton when it looked as if as going to go out of bounds.

1390242292000-31-Colts1006-md.jpg

Colts wide receiver T.Y. Hilton beat Seattle's secondary, including cornerback Richard Sherman, for a 73-yard touchdown reception.(Photo: Matt Detrich / The Star)

PASS INTERFERENCE

Early in the fourth quarter, Sherman was called for pass interference on a third-and-10 play from the Colts' 25-yard line. The screen grab below shows Sherman's arm around him.

1390240743000-Pass-int---Sherm.png

Richard Sherman's pass interference penalty against T.Y. Hilton of the Colts.(Photo: Fox)

FOURTH-QUARTER RECEPTION

Five plays after the pass interference penalty, Hilton had a 12-yard reception. Hilton and Sherman are at the top of the first photo, at the 34-yard line.

1390241558000-A1---sherm.png

T.Y. Hilton and Richard Sherman at top of picture on 34-yard line.(Photo: Fox)

Hilton gets separation.

1390241711000-A3---Sherm.png

Hilton gets away from Sherman at top of photo at 33-yard line.(Photo: Fox)

The ball's thrown behind him, but he makes the catch.

1390241855000-A4---Sherm.png

The ball is thrown behind Hilton but he makes catch.(Photo: Fox)

After the game, Hilton said he took offense at a remark about his size by Seattle cornerback Brandon Browner, according to USA Today. Hilton said Sherman didn't talk to him.

"Richard Sherman? He wouldn't even look me in the eye," Hilton said. "Not at all. The whole time."

And another:

Richard Sherman is an outstanding corner. Perhaps the best in football.

He's a tough, smart, incredibly gifted player who, when he came out of Stanford in 2011, wasn't well-regarded as a prospect because of a slow 40-yard dash time. Seattle took him in the 5th round of the 2011 NFL Draft, two spots below where the Colts would have drafted in that round had then-GM Chris Polian not traded that pick to move up in the second round to draft Villanova tackle Ben Ijalana.

This move is one of many reasons why Chris Polian was sent packing in 2011. He now works for the 0-5 Jaguars.

Anyway, Sherman is awesome. I honestly cannot say enough good things about his game. Watch the tape of what he did to San Francisco's Anquan Boldin in Week 2, and you'll get what I'm saying.

That said, on Sunday, Richard Sherman (a.k.a., best corner in football) was completelydominated by Colts wide receivers T.Y. Hilton and Reggie Wayne. In fact, the domination was so thorough, it was near-embarrassing for Sherman.

To use a basketball analogy, the 5'9 Hilton dunked on the 6'3 Sherman, and, in the process, stuffed his nutz in Sherman's face.

Here's Associated Press' Michael Marot providing a breakdown of two of Sherman's many goofs on Sunday:

Hilton's 73-yard score came on a blown coverage on Sherman's side of the field, and he was called for pass interference on a crucial third-down play early in the fourth quarter. That 16-yard penalty allowed Luck to continue moving the ball and resulted in 6-minute, 40-second drive that ended with Brown's go-ahead scoring run.

Both Hilton and Wayne combined for 11 catches for 205 yards and two touchdowns, averaging 18.6 yards-a-catch. Hilton himself averaged a stunning 28 yards-per-catch!

This was against, arguably, the best secondary in football. You could tell Hilton and the wideouts had gotten under Sherman's skin when, after Hilton's amazing 73-yard TD catch and run, Sherman was seen frustrated with teammate Earl Thomas, who took a bad angle to in an attempt to tackle Hilton after the second-year receiver had scorched Sherman. Following Hilton's first touchdown, both players were seen on the sidelines, completely befuddled as to how they'd been beaten so embarrassingly.

Andrew Luck and the Colts continued to go after Sherman the rest of the Seahawks corners in the second half, a tactic many would have viewed as INSANE if not for the fact that it worked! Sherman seemed shell-shocked after that first Hilton touchdown, and instead of getting back to playing coverage, he resorted to grabbing and holding the rest of the game, which he was eventually flagged for on that critical third-down.

That's not to say that the Colts receivers weren't guilty themselves of some illegal pushing and shoving. On the Colts two-point conversion following Donald Brown's touchdown run to get the lead back, Reggie Wayne pushed off on Richard Sherman and snatched Luck's across-the-body throw.

Wasn't mindful of the specifics, just know he kicked serious butt on Sherman, as agreed above. Yes, TY is well on his way to being as good as Marvin - but for some reason many of you seem really resistant to the idea that ANYBODY could be as good as Marvin. Go figure. As fans I would think you would be pretty happy about it.

ColtsHappy

Dear God...

I wish I knew or could narrow down what we would do, but it's always hard to put a pulse on what Grigson is going to do.You'll put a whole lot of time into thinking about it and then when the draft comes Grigs will pick a whole bunch of people you didn't even think about at all. The only pick of ours I got right last year was Bjorn Werner, I listed that as a possibility very early on.