Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

One Scouts QB Evaluation

Just one guy but bad news for Jack , Cleve and Texans if proves correct.

One NFL scout told the Bengals' website that this year's top draft-eligible quarterbacks have "enough pros and cons" that they deserve to be selected around the 35th overall pick "if there wasn't such a need at the top of the draft."

In other words, the scout seemingly believes Teddy Bridgewater, Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel, and Derek Carr are all not elite franchise quarterback-type talents. We've seen it suggested previously that this year's QB class compares to 2011's, when Jake Locker (No. 8), Blaine Gabbert (10), and Christian Ponder (12) were all severely overdrafted. The Texans, Jaguars, Browns, and Raiders all need quarterbacks this year, and all draft in the top five.

I laugh whenever someone types that the 2014 QB draft class is similar to '11's. 

Bridgewater, Bortles, and Manziel are all better than Locker. 

That statement is coming from some Rotoworld writer . The scouts opinion was that all of these guys are worthy of being picked at the top of the 2nd round.  Reason being they have too many question marks. I think if Manziel shows enough arm in his pro day  , he probably would be worthy of a top 5 selection... but that's just my opinion. To be honest , Ive never seen Carr or Bortles play.

I dont think the Texans go with a QB with the first pick, I think they go with Clowney or trade down with Cleveland or Jacksonville, Cleveland has 2 first round picks, I think they use 1 to move up and draft Bridgewater, I think the Texans are in need of a QB yes but I dont see any cant miss QB's....Bridgewater is as close as they come in this draft. I think Manziel ultimately has the best chance to make the quickest impact at QB but thats more about his legs then his decision making early on, Without a doubt he he has the arm. If Im the Texans Im drafting Clowney or Im trading down however, With all that said, I think that there are a few QB's in this draft who will make solid QB's in the NFL as long as you dont ask them to be world beaters, There isn't a Peyton Manning in this draft, A Russel Wilson or 2, a Joe Flacco or 2.....Guys with great potential in the right scheme with coaches who will maximize there strengths instead of exposing weaknesses

I laugh whenever someone types that the 2014 QB draft class is similar to '11's.

Bridgewater, Bortles, and Manziel are all better than Locker.

How could you possibly know that. I happen to agree with the scout and have said it several times. There isn't a QB in this draft that is 1st rd. worthy IMO. Bridgewater might be the best but he's highly unproven playing against weak opponents in college. Bortles I'll admit I don't know alot about and Manziel has giant bust written all over him...mainly because of immaturity and ego problems.

How could you possibly know that. I happen to agree with the scout and have said it several times. There isn't a QB in this draft that is 1st rd. worthy IMO. Bridgewater might be the best but he's highly unproven playing against weak opponents in college. Bortles I'll admit I don't know alot about and Manziel has giant bust written all over him...mainly because of immaturity and ego problems.

I guess you would not have drafted Joe Namath?

People are forcing these prospects to be what they want them to be. Bortles' coach came out and said he's not an Andrew Luck, he isn't a once in a decade talent. People want so badly for Manziel to be Russell Wilson, but he's not. And as Daniel Jeremiah said, Bridgewater lacks the wow factor. If you want to talk franchise QB's, then I say look at Mettenberger, Murray(with development), McCarron, and Jimmy Garropollo.

But I see Houston trading for Ryan Mallet and drafting a young QB in the later rounds. And I need someone to sell me on Bortles. All I saw was him making a bunch of quick one read throws (usually screens). Probably has to do with the system he played in, but it just seems like he skyrocketed as soon as Mariota said he was staying. Seriously though, Bortles is the guy I get the least. Someone explain the hype to me.

You know which team out of the QB needy teams is most likely to pass on a QB. Jacksonville Jaguars with Gus Bradley.

He will get Clowney at pick No.3, then turn around get Garropollo in round 2, and build a D to win much like when he was DC with the Seahawks. That is just my gut feeling.

You know which team out of the QB needy teams is most likely to pass on a QB. Jacksonville Jaguars with Gus Bradley.

He will get Clowney at pick No.3, then turn around get Garoppollo in round 2, and build a D to win much like when he was DC with the Seahawks. That is just my gut feeling.

I swear you could be a mind reader lol. I've been thinking the exact same thing since he got to coach Garropollo in the senior bowl. I think they would pass on all 3 QB's even if they all fell to them.

Whoever grabs Aaron Murray later on in the draft will have the steal of the draft in my opinion. That guy had virtually NOTHING around him, except for a hurt Todd Gurley, for 3 quarters of the year and really didn't miss a beat. His ACL tear is going to hurt his stock but as I said some team will have a QB-in waiting when he's 100% healthy. I watched all of them this year, and to me Murray looked to be the most ready for the pro's.

He will get Clowney at pick No.3, then turn around get Garropollo in round 2, and build a D to win much like when he was DC with the Seahawks. That is just my gut feeling.

Wouldn't surprise me.. Garropollo is an eye opener. His release is insansely quick. You think he goes in round 2 though?

Yes. Locker is the best out of the 3 (Ponder), and I believe Locker is only above average.

Ehh I wouldn't even call Locker above average.  The Titans would be happy to have an average starting QB right now.

They are questioning if they are even going to extend Locker after his contract is up.  Guy will likely move on and be someone's backup.