Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

An Actual Complaint Against The Coaching Staff

dn4192

Two things for me stand out from yesterday's game. First was the blocked punt. I was wondering, why not take the safety? Give up the 2 points and then kick to them, overall the defense played pretty well yesterday and probably could have stopped them.

Second, I would love to know why we are having Painter attempt so many passes? I mean come on 49? I think we could have run more and been successful.

So yes I do have some questions about the coaching staff's decisions yesterday....

Two things for me stand out from yesterday's game. First was the blocked punt. I was wondering, why not take the safety? Give up the 2 points and then kick to them, overall the defense played pretty well yesterday and probably could have stopped them.

Second, I would love to know why we are having Painter attempt so many passes? I mean come on 49? I think we could have run more and been successful.

So yes I do have some questions about the coaching staff's decisions yesterday....

OK Who are you and what have you done with dn4192?

OK Who are you and what have you done with dn4192?

I have never said I didn't have issues with how the team is coached, just that I don't think we as fans have any clue how good or bad they are since we are not privy to all the information. I think we can question decisions, but some want to question heart, drive and other things. But I am wondering why not take the safety and why not do what Jville did against the Ravens and just run, run , run...

Why in the * would they take a safety there? That makes no sense at all.

When a punt in the endzone is blocked, the kicking team is coached to fall on the ball for the safety or get out of the endzone.

Or are you asking why not kneel in the endzone?

Either way your question doesn't make alot of sense.

You don't take the safety.. Wow. You coach your punter up to get rid of it ASAP. It was blocked. Whether it was based on a man beating a man and getting back to block it, or a slower snap, catch,kick, or whatever but you don't intentionally take a safety in that situation. maybe with a lead or under certain circumstances.

They are throwing that many times with Painter because the fail to see a different skill set between him & Manning. Even if they wanted to throw that many times with Painter, adapt the game plan to some of strengths, getting the ball on the corner with a boot set, like the Texans use with Schaub.

The coaching staff clearly feels there isn't much difference in Manning & Painter. They haven't adjusted their game plan nearly enough. Throwing the ball at a higher rate than we did from 05-07 with Manning. That is just outright foolish.

Kicking the field goal like there was enough time to allow Painter to lead that many scoring plays was also foolish. We should have gone for the TD, either way you are going to wind up losing.

This staff is so lost and that can be said for the HC, OC, DC, and STC. Lefede should be given a Forrest Gump style stop sign to tell him to stay in the end zone and let us take it at the 20 as opposed to him getting it out to the 13.

The whole staff needs to be replaced at this point.

You don't take the safety.. Wow. You coach your punter up to get rid of it ASAP. It was blocked. Whether it was based on a man beating a man and getting back to block it, or a slower snap, catch,kick, or whatever but you don't intentionally take a safety in that situation. maybe with a lead or under certain circumstances.

They are throwing that many times with Painter because the fail to see a different skill set between him & Manning. Even if they wanted to throw that many times with Painter, adapt the game plan to some of strengths, getting the ball on the corner with a boot set, like the Texans use with Schaub.

The coaching staff clearly feels there isn't much difference in Manning & Painter. They haven't adjusted their game plan nearly enough. Throwing the ball at a higher rate than we did from 05-07 with Manning. That is just outright foolish.

Kicking the field goal like there was enough time to allow Painter to lead that many scoring plays was also foolish. We should have gone for the TD, either way you are going to wind up losing.

This staff is so lost and that can be said for the HC, OC, DC, and STC. Lefede should be given a Forrest Gump style stop sign to tell him to stay in the end zone and let us take it at the 20 as opposed to him getting it out to the 13.

The whole staff needs to be replaced at this point.

I agree, your so right

The whole staff has got to go, I would love to bring in a defence type of coach on our next round up, or anyone who can do the job

Edited by joo 2h

I thought we needed Carter running when we were inside the 5 trying to score...two chances and that guy would have knocked them in!

At this point probably it does not matter if we win it or not, so why not try to test Painter's nerve and get him some experience? Game was on his shoulder and he blew it, fine....

Why in the * would they take a safety there? That makes no sense at all.

After the two points from the safety, McAffee would've been able to punt from a much more favorable position. Giving up two points instead of seven makes plenty of sense. Should've snapped it over McAffee's head out of the end zone. Usually something you'd do with the lead, but what do we have to lose at this point exactly? The fact that it didn't even cross our coach's mind is not surprising at all.

When a punt in the endzone is blocked, the kicking team is coached to fall on the ball for the safety or get out of the endzone.

Or are you asking why not kneel in the endzone?

Either way your question doesn't make alot of sense.

I would have told the Punter to take the snap and run out of the back of endzone. Give up the two points and then we can kickoff to them with no pressure and hopefull at least have them back farther then the mid field point which is where the punt at best would have put them.

1st point: No. Never.

2nd point: Because we keep falling behind early and feel as though Painter can run the no-huddle hurry up. No, the coaches don't believe Painter has Manning's skill set, but they do trust their QB. If we weren't throwing it, and still losing, you guys would all be complaining that we aren't throwing it even though Painter has "shown he's talented".

Fire Caldwell at the end of this season. Hire Josh McDaniels......... That is all.

Hire a convicted cheater who has shown no ability to win as a head coach? No thanks... That would get me to call for Polian's head.

1st point: No. Never.

2nd point: Because we keep falling behind early and feel as though Painter can run the no-huddle hurry up. No, the coaches don't believe Painter has Manning's skill set, but they do trust their QB. If we weren't throwing it, and still losing, you guys would all be complaining that we aren't throwing it even though Painter has "shown he's talented".

Hire a convicted cheater who has shown no ability to win as a head coach? No thanks... That would get me to call for Polian's head.

It wasn't till mid 3r quarter that we were kinda "out" of it, in the first half we were in the game and should have taken the safety making it just 5-0 instead of 10 and continued to run the ball and eat clock in my view.

At this point probably it does not matter if we win it or not, so why not try to test Painter's nerve and get him some experience? Game was on his shoulder and he blew it, fine....

Because I think Carter might ben an every down back and a good one at that. We need to get a running game for Manning when he comes back.

After the two points from the safety, McAffee would've been able to punt from a much more favorable position. Giving up two points instead of seven makes plenty of sense. Should've snapped it over McAffee's head out of the end zone. Usually something you'd do with the lead, but what do we have to lose at this point exactly? The fact that it didn't even cross our coach's mind is not surprising at all.

No coach would ever take a safety there in that situation. None whatsoever. The score was 3-0 at the time - why would you volutarily give the Titans free points?

Edited by Maureen
personal shots

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, November 1, 2011 - personal shot
Hidden by Nadine, November 1, 2011 - personal shot

I seriously cannot believe I just read this. I'm also equally shocked that someone could say something to make me utter the phrase, "You know, maybe Caldwell isn't the worst guy for the job..."

Neither can I. He's in rare form today. lol :D

I was wondering, why not take the safety? Give up the 2 points and then kick to them, overall the defense played pretty well yesterday and probably could have stopped them.

The safety question is 20/20 hindsight taken to the extreme. Sure, I'd have much rather they gave up 2 points rather than 7, but the third option would have been punting the ball successfully. Considering that it was the first blocked punt of McAfees career, and that he averaged something like 48 yards per punt, there is no reason in the world for them to have given one thought to taking a safety. Caldwell would have been rightly crucified on here if he had done so. Of course getting to the ball before the Titans did would have been nice - unfortunately all the fast players were downfield already.

Regarding Painter attempting so many passes - I'm sure they are trying to take what the defense is giving to them, and I'd consider the dump off passes to be quasi-runs as well. You can't just say "they averaged 5 yards per carry, therefore they should have run it 25 times" because there is a high probability that if they had done so the yards per carry would have plummeted. The rushing success appears to often be from Painter checking into the right play (something he isn't being given much credit for here), not from our oline blasting the opposition off the ball. Our oline is comprised largely of people who were sitting at home with their feet up in the all too recent past.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, November 1, 2011 - personal shot continued
Hidden by Nadine, November 1, 2011 - personal shot continued

I seriously cannot believe I just read this. I'm also equally shocked that someone could say something to make me utter the phrase, "You know, maybe Caldwell isn't the worst guy for the job..."

I get confused with him and another guy 28 something. One is 17 the other i have no clue how old he is but it seems they share the same mind... Kinda sad.

The safety question is 20/20 hindsight taken to the extreme. Sure, I'd have much rather they gave up 2 points rather than 7, but the third option would have been punting the ball successfully. Considering that it was the first blocked punt of McAfees career, and that he averaged something like 48 yards per punt, there is no reason in the world for them to have given one thought to taking a safety. Caldwell would have been rightly crucified on here if he had done so. Of course getting to the ball before the Titans did would have been nice - unfortunately all the fast players were downfield already.

Regarding Painter attempting so many passes - I'm sure they are trying to take what the defense is giving to them, and I'd consider the dump off passes to be quasi-runs as well. You can't just say "they averaged 5 yards per carry, therefore they should have run it 25 times" because there is a high probability that if they had done so the yards per carry would have plummeted. The rushing success appears to often be from Painter checking into the right play (something he isn't being given much credit for here), not from our oline blasting the opposition off the ball. Our oline is comprised largely of people who were sitting at home with their feet up in the all too recent past.

I agree with you to a point. What I can't understand though is why, when you have a RB in Carter averaging 5.1 ypc, do you only give him the ball 9 times through the course of the game and you take him out for what seemed like the majority of the 2nd half and put in Brown who was only averaging 3.3 ypc. Why not continue riding behind Brown until it stops working...and no I don't mean do nothing but run the ball with Carter play after play but keep mixing in the run and pass. And I also agree that to some degree the running success is from Painter checking to run at the LOS. However, overall I think the OL has done a better job of run blocking than pass protecting. I think they got too complacent and were counting on the bubble screen to act as their running game, and as long as they mix the bubble screens in from time to time then it can work that way. However they ran the bubble screen A LOT in the first 7 drives. It's very similar to the tampa 2 coverage...it can work when used effectively and correctly but it's not something to be run the majority of the time and the Colts are running tampa 2 coverage on over 51% of all defensive plays.

I know they are somewhat limited due to the patchwork OL but that doesn't mean they can't keep 2 backs in to block, or a back and TE and run Wayne, Garcon and Collie/Clark out on routes. The 2 coordinators are just doing a lousy job of making tweaks to the offense and defense to maximize the talent on the team, and the fact they are continuing to fail to do this goes back to Caldwell. This is the problem I have with big Jim. :)

Edited by Jason

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, November 1, 2011 - personal shot continued
Hidden by Nadine, November 1, 2011 - personal shot continued

I get confused with him and another guy 28 something. One is 17 the other i have no clue how old he is but it seems they share the same mind... Kinda sad.

Indeed. Scary, really. One person can be as absolutely mad (You know, like the Mad Hatter, not angry mad) as he wants to be, but when other follow that form, there's a problem.

And there are a couple more than just the two of them as well. If they were to all converge on the same thread I don't even want to imagine the absurdities that would be brought to the table...

No coach would ever take a safety there in that situation. None whatsoever. The score was 3-0 at the time - why would you volutarily give the Titans free points?

That's the reason: it was 3-0 at the time. Not because "you don't take a safety, ever," as some are saying. If it's later in the game and you're ahead by two scores, and your defense is playing well (or their offense is playing bad), maybe you take that safety. Maybe.

We're losing sight of two things that happened before the blocked punt: 1) Three penalties in a row, putting us into our own endzone; and 2) weird playcalling from that point of the field, resulting in us gaining no yardage after the penalties. The blocked punt was a self-imposed setback.

Indeed. Scary, really. One person can be as absolutely mad (You know, like the Mad Hatter, not angry mad) as he wants to be, but when other follow that form, there's a problem.

Number28 is the one who said he is 16, and I'm quite sure from the entirety of his posts that he is a good kid. Yes, he likes making the occasional declarative statement and then gets backed into a corner defending it. That's what 16 year olds do. Give him a break.

Both of you guys frequently make declarative statements of your own. Perhaps more amusing, but also so withering and confrontational that they about make my socks stand up and leave the room on their own. If it's OK for you to "do your thing", than I'm sure it's OK for number28 do his.

Fire Caldwell at the end of this season. Hire Josh McDaniels......... That is all.

I'm glad you're not part of the colts front office. Sorry but I think McDaniels already proved he isn't head coaching material right now. Maybe in the future, but right now it's obvious he still has a ways to go.

I actually agree with you on the first one. When buried in your zone, you risk getting blocked and even if you get the ball out clean, odds are they get the ball in your zone. I think they should have token the knee and then punt them the ball and let them start on their thirty. At that point, their O was playing badly, so the Colts could have stopped them.

The second one is because the Colts were playing behind for most of the game. They had a 20 point deficit and running the ball couldn't get us out of it. Although I think 49 times is too much, running the ball more couldn't have helped that much. The running game was not flourishing, well not enough to single handedly get us down the field and score.

Number28 is the one who said he is 16, and I'm quite sure from the entirety of his posts that he is a good kid. Yes, he likes making the occasional declarative statement and then gets backed into a corner defending it. That's what 16 year olds do. Give him a break.

Both of you guys frequently make declarative statements of your own. Perhaps more amusing, but also so withering and confrontational that they about make my socks stand up and leave the room on their own. If it's OK for you to "do your thing", than I'm sure it's OK for number28 do his.

There's a difference:

When I make a "declarative statement", I make one within the realm of sanity. I don't fly off spouting complete absurdities and then trash whoever (everyone, in most cases) who doesn't agree with it.

Example? He throws stuff against the wall in hopes that it sticks... so does 4192... I don't.