Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay says he is rooting for Peyton

chad72

Old Crow you are trying to read too much into this!

You have an agenda here and I have little value your opinion about the Indy Colts.

The management of the Colts franchise made a wise and prudent business decision, given the situation.

Even Peyton said that the Colts could not pass on Luck!

Wise businessmen make hard decisions and move on, those that look back and regret set themselves for failure.

I feel the Colts have set themselves up for success!

Every team in the league wants the Lombardi, I don't think anything that Irsay says will put any more pressure on the organization than what is already there... The pressure is great no matter, You however want to paint the Colts Franchise in a light that fits your own image of failure.

I don't think that anyone in the organization expected this success so soon. I don't think that championships were  demanded now.

Are the Colts at a championship level yet? Nope, but it is getting there, I think that Irsay is a realist and his statement is a true representation of his feelings. If the Colts don't get it this year, good for Peyton if he can pull it off.

Maybe you need to purchase some  Preparation H and apply liberally!

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not. If Manning wins this Super Bowl, Luck and Irsay will be pressured to win two. It's just the way it is when you size up historic transactions like this one. I think it's likely Seattle may win, and that would be the best result for Irsay. A Denver win , and maybe another one if Peyton lasts another three years, could put this one up there with the Elway trade in 1983. How many times can you help , and bail out the Denver Broncos in one career ?

The irony here is stunning. Elway shafts the Colts goes to Denver plays in 5 SBs and wins 2 to end his career in Cinderella fashion. The Colts release Manning and he signs with Denver specifically because he has always admired Elway as a player and believes in him as a GM and now is in the Super Bowl. This storyline is unreal if Manning does win the SB for them.

no it won't

It hasn't yet but if Manning does get a ring on Sunday and maybe another in the next couple of years and the Luck era does not produce championships then I can see this in a similar vein as when the Sox traded Ruth to the Yankees. It will cause irreparable damage to Irsay's legacy which is why he really needs Seattle to win Sunday despite his feelings for Manning. And remember Manning wanted to stay. This isn't like GB where Favre kept threatening to retire year after year and Rodgers had been waiting in the wings for three years. Irsay made the choice for Luck which we all think today was the right decision, myself included, but the heat will be turned up if Manning wins Sunday.

I wish I could find a link to what Irsay said at the time the Colts released manning. I believe it is in line with what he is saying now

I do recall that he said that only history could judge whether or not this was the right move for the colts.

Fast forward.........and it is apparent that is was the right move for both Manning and the Colts

And yet, so many people still so angry

Sometimes you cannot have your cake and eat it too.  That is not really something to be angry about.

All of our speculation is without merit. None of us know them personally. They all say the politically correct things. So all we have left is our speculations.

Which should either be kept to ourselves or not made in a way that they are anything close to being facts.

I wish I could find a link to what Irsay said at the time the Colts released manning. I believe it is in line with what he is saying now

I do recall that he said that only history could judge whether or not this was the right move for the colts.

Fast forward.........and it is apparent that is was the right move for both Manning and the Colts

Sometimes you cannot have your cake and eat it too.  That is not really something to be angry about.

No doubt about it ~  It was the right move for both.    (I may not have been happy about it at the time, but it's not about what I wanted)

There are plenty of Us, Who remain Colts fans, and at the same time very Supportive of Peyton and Extremely  happy for him and all that he has accomplished.  

The ONLY thing (and I repeat ~ the ONLY thing) that angers me are those  outspoken about their Desire for Him to Fail Because they want him to be remebered solely as a Colt.    Try as I may, that will never make any sense to me.

Who said Fox was wrong, Fox? Just because Irsay clarified his statements to the Indianapolis faithful ,doesn't mean Fox thinks he was wrong about protecting Manning from what he thought were slights. If Elway and Irsay were friends, don't you'd think that we would have heard about something since 1983 ? What has Elway ever done for the Colts, or their fans, that was positive ? Logic dictates that there can't be much of a relationship there.

No, Fox was wrong.  Anyone that thinks Irsay was taking a shot at Manning has reading comprehension problems or was misinformed.  Who said Elway and Irsay were friends?  They might be I have no idea, neither do you.  I have also not seen anything to think that they dislike each other.  Please feel free to post any information that shows they do not like each other.  They may just have a cordial working relationship since they are both part of the NFL, which is fine.

Good points but to the bolded - present day history is showing that it may have not been the right move for the Colts and that is what most of this discussion has been about. The fact that Manning is on the brink of a ring would suggest the Colts should have kept him. That being said Luck has certainly looked like he will be a great QB for the Colts but if that does not translate into rings which is why Irsay made the moves he did by his own admission earlier this season than it would be hard to say everyone won or that the Colts did not in fact make a mistake. Time will continue to tell if this was the right move as much depends on how much longer Manning plays and how many more times he contends or wins rings. And on the flip side, Luck will have his chances too.

I think you mistaking emotional investment for anger. Although the two can be hard to distinguish at times. ;)

Good points but to the bolded - present day history is showing that it may have not been the right move for the Colts and that is what most of this discussion has been about. The fact that Manning is on the brink of a ring would suggest the Colts should have kept him. That being said Luck has certainly looked like he will be a great QB for the Colts but if that does not translate into rings which is why Irsay made the moves he did by his own admission earlier this season than it would be hard to say everyone won or that the Colts did not in fact make a mistake. Time will continue to tell if this was the right move as much depends on how much longer Manning plays and how many more times he contends or wins rings. And on the flip side, Luck will have his chances too.

I think you mistaking emotional investment for anger. Although the two can be hard to distinguish at times. ;)

If you think Manning getting to the superbowl has people believing that this might not have been the right move for the colts.....then we disagree

emotional investment v anger?

Not sure why a pats fan wants to nit pic on this issue unless they enjoy fanning that 'emotional investment'

The irony here is stunning. Elway shafts the Colts goes to Denver plays in 5 SBs and wins 2 to end his career in Cinderella fashion. The Colts release Manning and he signs with Denver specifically because he has always admired Elway as a player and believes in him as a GM and now is in the Super Bowl. This storyline is unreal if Manning does win the SB for them.

How is that ironic?

Good points but to the bolded - present day history is showing that it may have not been the right move for the Colts and that is what most of this discussion has been about. The fact that Manning is on the brink of a ring would suggest the Colts should have kept him. That being said Luck has certainly looked like he will be a great QB for the Colts but if that does not translate into rings which is why Irsay made the moves he did by his own admission earlier this season than it would be hard to say everyone won or that the Colts did not in fact make a mistake. Time will continue to tell if this was the right move as much depends on how much longer Manning plays and how many more times he contends or wins rings. And on the flip side, Luck will have his chances too.

Anyone who thinks the colts could have won a superbowl this year with Manning doesn't understand the cap.

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/what-is-irony-with-examples/

Anyone who thinks the colts could have won a superbowl this year with Manning doesn't understand the cap.

I agree. I believe that Peyton would never have made it back to the SB if he had stayed a Colt. That is assuming that he would have survived the 2012 season.

I really don't understand why people find it such a problem that Irsay is rooting for Peyton. We aren't in it so what is the big deal. Nfl people are asked who the think is going to win all the time. So what? Maybe just maybe Irsay is a bigger man than some give him credit for.

You know the saying don't you? You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people all of the time.. and long as there are people.... Don't know how true this is but it's a thought....

I think the below may be what you what you were searching for.regarding Irsay's comments at the time.  Of course, the doubters are going to doubt his sincerity because that it was doubters do. 

But, when I read his comments; all I see is a man saying that he wants what he hopes is best for Peyton in the near future and what he hopes is best for the Colts in the long run. 

It's something where you know to duplicate what we've done in the last 12-plus years, that's very, very difficult to do. You know how hard it is. Peyton and I have talked about it. We all have through the years, how hard it is to win in this league. It's going to be a process for us. Hopefully we'll watch Peyton win immediately and that we'll continue to slowly build and find our stride.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2012/3/7/2853459/peyton-manning-press-conference-transcript-2012-free-agency-nfl

you know what I've always wondered about the last statement? Who wants cake if you don't get to eat it? That has nothing to do with point you are making but that phrase has lawyer been odd to me for that reason.

That's why, as a Colts fan, I want the Broncos to lose.

I mostly agree with you on most points jvan, but in this situation your wrong, and just blindly believed what was fed to you.

you think he would have won a  SB the way our defense played, without Reggie Wayne at the age of 37 with only 2 for sure NFL caliber O Linemen? Ok...explain this one...I mean Manning makes his O Line look better most of the time but even with the eye popping numbers he put up this year you can see signs of him getting old in terms of football age

I mostly agree with you on most points jvan, but in this situation your wrong, and just blindly believed what was fed to you.

This team would look nothing like it currently does, if Peyton stayed. No chance the 2011 team+some pieces. Is SB worthy. Especially the rate the D was going.

he wouldn't have had many weopons. A very below average oline and defense. Manning is the goat imo. But nobody could have overcome that much. He would have led these guys to the playoffs, no question. I just don't think he could have drug them all the way to a title. The cap situation was in shambles. From what was reported, redoing his contract wasnt an option. I just don't see how it would have been possible

you think he would have won a  SB the way our defense played, without Reggie Wayne at the age of 37 with only 2 for sure NFL caliber O Linemen? Ok...explain this one...I mean Manning makes his O Line look better most of the time but even with the eye popping numbers he put up this year you can see signs of him getting old in terms of football age

This team would look nothing like it currently does, if Peyton stayed. No chance the 2011 team+some pieces. Is SB worthy. Especially the rate the D was going.

he wouldn't have had many weopons. A very below average oline and defense. Manning is the goat imo. But nobody could have overcome that much. He would have led these guys to the playoffs, no question. I just don't think he could have drug them all the way to a title. The cap situation was in shambles. From what was reported, redoing his contract wasnt an option. I just don't see how it would have been possible

I won't discuss it in the thread, but you truly are interested send me a PM, and I'll elaborate.

Totally agree. It's unbelievable. While we all like Peyton and would like to see him win, and if Denver wins, then wins again, history will be harsh on the release. I also agree that Irsay made the tough call going with Luck, and I certainly understand it, but if the Luck/Grigson/Irsay tandem fail to get a ring, and Manning gets two in four years, it may well be regarded as a historic gaffe. As far as legacy, a Seattle win helps Irsay. As long as Manning doesn't ring up Super Bowl wins in Denver, this validates Irsay's release.

I think the owner basically blamed himself and former GM for not surrounding Manning with enough talent. I think the Colts could have worked something out to keep Manning and draft Luck. It would have been tight, but something could have been worked out.

you know what I've always wondered about the last statement? Who wants cake if you don't get to eat it? That has nothing to do with point you are making but that phrase has lawyer been odd to me for that reason.

Since you said you've always wondered. That statement is just saying you cannot have your cake and eat it too, because if you eat your cake you will no longer have it. It is impossible for both to situations to exist at the same time. Now that I have bored anyone reading this I am off.

I think the owner basically blamed himself and former GM for not surrounding Manning with enough talent. I think the Colts could have worked something out to keep Manning and draft Luck. It would have been tight, but something could have been worked out.

please give examples with your exhaustive knowledge of the cap issues and the ability to rework Mannings contract.

I like to think that anytime a thread/article is created with the word "Irsay" in the title The Old Crow is alerted on his pager that his bitterness is needed.

I make similar comments on the Ravens web site with Bisciotti. I enjoy debating ownership and management business decisions. Our Orioles owner, Peter Angelo's, and I never thought I'd ever say this, is a worse owner than Bob Irsay. We gave him a stadium, and tons of cable revenue , and he still won't sign anyone. He stinks.

Totally agree. It's unbelievable. While we all like Peyton and would like to see him win, and if Denver wins, then wins again, history will be harsh on the release. I also agree that Irsay made the tough call going with Luck, and I certainly understand it, but if the Luck/Grigson/Irsay tandem fail to get a ring, and Manning gets two in four years, it may well be regarded as a historic gaffe. As far as legacy, a Seattle win helps Irsay. As long as Manning doesn't ring up Super Bowl wins in Denver, this validates Irsay's release.

They are two completely different things. I don't find it hard to believe you can't grasp that however.

please give examples with your exhaustive knowledge of the cap issues and the ability to rework Mannings contract.

I doubt many forum members here are capologists. I wonder if the colts even looked heavily into that option because they thought Manning's neck was injured upon repair. I'm sure there were people on the Colts that had all scenarios covered. They happened to take the draft Luck/cut Manning option.

What cap issue the Colts spent $16M on the quarterback in 2012 anyway. Manning kept on roster would have been $17M.

The issue was keeping both. Which would have been asinine to even think of.

If you truly want to say what was best, dollar wise, for the Colts it would have kept Manning, trade the pick, and release Freeney. If I remember correctly that would have given the Colts the most money of any situation. I think the number was an extra $8M and the Browns entire draft class.

There was no cap issue. The cap issue is made up by Irsay.

And he continues to say it, and he is just downright lying, a d the kicker is people believe him.

I'm not second guessing him, or saying it was wrong. However I would rather him just say, I wanted to move on, and that is the reason we did what we did. Instead of his story about no money, and the inability to surround Peyton with a team. Because it is a blatant lie.

What cap issue the Colts spent $16M on the quarterback in 2012 anyway. Manning kept on roster would have been $17M.

The issue was keeping both. Which would have been asinine to even think of.

If you truly want to say what was best, dollar wise, for the Colts it would have kept Manning, trade the pick, and release Freeney. If I remember correctly that would have given the Colts the most money of any situation. I think the number was an extra $8M and the Browns entire draft class.

There was no cap issue. The cap issue is made up by Irsay.

And he continues to say it, and he is just downright lying, a d the kicker is people believe him.

I'm not second guessing him, or saying it was wrong. However I would rather him just say, I wanted to move on, and that is the reason we did what we did. Instead of his story about no money, and the inability to surround Peyton with a team. Because it is a blatant lie.

Excellent points. There are always different scenarios in the cap situation. Irsay took the Draft Luck approach, and released Manning, which was the safe bet at the time. Elway and the Broncos gambled with Manning, and thus far, it had paid off. The amazing thing here , and I think it's to be expected, is how easily people except Irsay's spin on things. While there is probably a lot of truth to what he says, it's his opinion, and only one point of view. He's says he's friends with Peyton, yet you hear nothing from Manning . It's almost like the tweets are absolute, but there is always another side of the story. I'm sure others, like Polian, have a different view on what took place behind the scenes. The Colts have done well since 1997 under Irsay , but it is he himself who is ramping up the pressure with his two ring talk. There is an inherent pressure on all teams to win a Super Bowl. However, when a owner releases one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time and now he's in the Super Bowl , gives two ring locker room speeches, says one Super Bowl in 14 years was a let down, how much pressure will build on your new young quarterback ? Maybe it will work, maybe it won't , but usually the more involved and desperate the owner is, the worse the team gets. This has happened to many teams and occurs when ownership emotions trump listening to the football people they hired.

I make similar comments on the Ravens web site with Bisciotti. I enjoy debating ownership and management business decisions. Our Orioles owner, Peter Angelo's, and I never thought I'd ever say this, is a worse owner than Bob Irsay. We gave him a stadium, and tons of cable revenue , and he still won't sign anyone. He stinks.

Where did you get your MBA?