Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Officiating

Manning1887

I did not see a thread discussing this topic, so forgive me if it is a repeat.

I am not saying that the officiating cost us the game last night, but there were a couple fairly blatant no calls that could have changed the outlook of the game going into the 4th quarter. Namely:

1) The trip of Andrew Luck that seemed blatantly obvious to everyone except the refs

2) I pretty blatant hold of Chapman by Marcus Cannon on 3rd down that would have backed up the Pats 10 yards and taken them out of FG range (of course we still would have had to stop them)

3.) What appeared to be a tackle of Griff Whalen on a 3rd down pass way past the 5 yard zone

4.) Roughing the passer call on Luck that seemed blatant

Granted, this doesn't change the fact that we could not punch the ball into the end zone on 1st and goal from the 3, but it was a poor night of officiating.

I just feel that coupled with some other poorly officiated games during the regular season and the NFL should really look at addressing the referee situation to some extent this offseason. I believe part of the issue with the officiating issue last season was the NFL wanted to be able to grade/assess the game performance of the officials and penalize them accordingly.

Something needs to be done, especially when blatant penalties are being missed.

I am not saying that the officiating cost us the game last night, but there were a couple fairly blatant no calls that could have changed the outlook of the game going into the 4th quarter. Namely:

1) The trip of Andrew Luck that seemed blatantly obvious to everyone except the refs

2) I pretty blatant hold of Chapman by Marcus Cannon on 3rd down that would have backed up the Pats 10 yards and taken them out of FG range (of course we still would have had to stop them)

3.) What appeared to be a tackle of Griff Whalen on a 3rd down pass way past the 5 yard zone

Granted, this doesn't change the fact that we could not punch the ball into the end zone on 1st and goal from the 3, but it was a poor night of officiating.

I just feel that coupled with some other poorly officiated games during the regular season and the NFL should really look at addressing the referee situation to some extent this offseason. I believe part of the issue with the officiating issue last season was the NFL wanted to be able to grade/assess the game performance of the officials and penalize them accordingly.

Funny how this always happens to us in Foxboro isn't it.  Refs definitely had an agenda.  Their blatant no calls changed the game's complexion late and allowed a close game to become a blow out.  The league wants Brady/Manning.  Screw them.  Props to Pats for taking it to the Colts physically but they were also allowed to get away with outright muggings on defense.  I do not believe they were called for pass interference even once last night.  They made sure to flag the Colts for it though.  Officiating in this league is a joke.

pats coach teaches his players to push the rules, if you do it enough the refs cant see everything, and they miss some calls rule changes have been made from this coaches pushing the rules in the past, like faking injuries and jamming receivers

I won't say they were a direct reason why we lost but they certainly didn't give us one bit of help. Dont forget the nonsense PI call on Gordy that resulted in a pats TD when they would have had to kick a pretty long field goal. What makes me really mad is how bad these guys are on a week to week basis. 50-60 year old guys can't do this job and the reason they never get replaced is because they are unionized employees. They are completely unaccountable for the blatant mistakes they make. At least in MLB they will admit if they mess up (ie Jim Joyce). Look at last years Superbowl for example, Crabtree was dragged down and its a no call. The 49ers were robbed and everybody turned a blind eye on that. What about Tripplette messing up huge 2 weeks in a row this year. The nonsense call on Amahad Brooks when he hit Brees and caused the 49ers to lose. Its complete unaccountability that makes me angry and the NFL doesn't care about the small market teams like us colts, bengals, titans, etc. They have a love for the big boys like the pats giants eagles cowboys whom if you ever watch get a majority of the calls. 

Like you said it wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game but the refs were awful.  No idea why it's so hard for NFL refs to call a decent game.

Geez... I dunno. We were only down 29-22 when the we were screwed on back to back drives. Maybe we don't wear down in the last 12 minutes if the game is tied and our defense was a little more rested ? hard to say it doesn't change the outcome. maybe... maybe not.

One of the few times we bash the refs for not making calls. The refs really let both teams play last night. I'd rather take that than get a call every 3 plays. NFL officiating will never be perfect, but no calls on something obvious is a bit better than calling something that is obviously wrong.

pats coach teaches his players to push the rules, if you do it enough the refs cant see everything, and they miss some calls rule changes have been made from this coaches pushing the rules in the past, like faking injuries and jamming receivers

You mean like holding Marshall Faulk on very play in that first Pat SB win ? It's really the way too go. I remember Miami way back when used to hold Marvin Harrison around 10-12 times a game and maybe get called once.

One of the few times we bash the refs for not making calls. The refs really let both teams play last night. I'd rather take that than get a call every 3 plays. NFL officiating will never be perfect, but no calls on something obvious is a bit better than calling something that is obviously wrong.

You would like to see it even out a bit though. They missed 3 very obvious ones on us and call the chippy one on Gordy. Can be pretty brutal in a one score game with 13 minutes left.

It's gotten WAY past old playing up there and the officials

HOW the NFL continues to ignore the fact the officials up there are biased is beyond me...  I think the League is SO enamored to Brady they can't see the fact the officials up their are literally handing them games.  It was painfully obvious the Patriots got help from the officials last night to me, would not surprise me if Belichick is not involved in some way with it.  Well known he is ok with cheating

The officiating has been bad all year.  Sure, the Pats may have gotten more calls than the Colts in last nights game, but that's not to blame for the loss.  We simply didn't execute.  Honestly, if I were the NFL, I would look at bringing in another ref to each reffing team so you have another official on the field to hopefully lead to less missed calls

Was that before or after the game?

:lol:

But seriously, it sucks, it happened, there's nothing to be done, I'm over it.

Actually, I remember seeing that. It wasn't the same as the punch he delivered while at Oregon to the Boise State player, but he did hit a Colts player in the facemask after the play was over. It was on tv.

I disagree a little bit.  When you ignore calls that are obviously flags that can have just as much as impact calling something that is obviously wrong.  I don't want a flag every other play or anything like that but I do want things called a little tighter than they have been in the playoffs.  The league felt the need to come out and tell the refs they wanted things called like they are during the regular season after the wildcard round which tells me they also agreed things were being let go too much.  At times last night the Colts/Pats game almost spilled out of control and samething in the Saints/Seahawks game and now it's happening in the Panthers/49ers game.  Refs need to do a little more to take control of games. 

With that said I am not going to blame the refs for last night either.  Yeah there were some missed calls but not enough to offset four INTs and a run defense that couldn't tackle me let alone a NFL running back. 

I would just like to see the refs being more consistant. If they call one thing on one team they should also call it on the other when it happens. All the taunting the Patriots did went to the blind eyes of the refs. One ref had to pull Blount away 15 yards down the field. Edelman ran 10 yards from out of bounds to taunt us later. The NFL needs full-time refs and they need to fine them on obvious bad or non calls. Refs are there to enforce the rules and should not affect the outcome of the games.

We dealt with horrible calls all season including a couple overturns in the booth that had zero conclusive evidence which bordered on 100% fraud, AND sure that was a blatant roughing the passer which they ignored on luck and I seen a couple PIs they ignored on us - not to mention several picks that they ignored that gave Pats completions, but I am not going to excuse 4 horrible turnovers by Luck!    We can NOT overcome that in the NFL - we were extremely lucky against the Chiefs with all our TOs - it wont happen week after week!   No team can expect to win playing that poorly!

Fact is the Colts stunk up the field yesterday starting and ending with Andrew Luck - he was horrible!   No way can he expect to throw open a double covered receiver least of all Brazil ... if not for a couple GREAT diving receptions by Colts receivers this game would have been a 5TD or better win for the Pats.   Luck has got to get better - sure the OL wasn't giving him a whole lot of time, but the last couple of games he made some really horrible QB decisions - absolutely horrible!    I remember him saying as a rookie he would learn from mistakes and not make them again - well the last couple of games he made the same mistakes time after time after time!

I'm handling this loss much better knowing how poorly we played vs a close heart breaking loss.

I hope we can improve the OL this off season!

Actually guys, the run defense was actually pretty decent for the most part of the game. Even jerrell freeman says " nah, we held em in check for the most part of the game," They ran 46 times and  got 234 yards, but remember 73 of those yards came on 1 play. so that's 161 yards on 45 carries which is 3.6 yards per carry.