Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts would have kept Peyton Manning and drafted Andrew Luck if former GM Bill Polian got his way

Thewholefnshow28

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Peyton Manning was franchised by the Colts before every new contract.

And before every new contract, a gaggle of fans honked about the contract taking so long, assumed that Manning would feel "disrespected" by being tagged and would force his way out of Indy, etc., etc. I don't see why these things are so hard to grasp.

Long story short, the only way Luck goes anywhere is if he spends the next 2-3 years looking like a bum.

I don't wish anything. I'm fine if he stays.

good because he's staying to think other wise shows a complete lack of understanding how the franchise tag works in the NFL or is just flat out wishful thinking or is just an attempt to troll. I am done wasting my time debating something that isn't going to happen Irsay didn't draft Manning's replacement to go through this again in five years.

If I need to explain it you can't comprehend it.

What the heck is your agenda?  

Luck will b the Colts QB for the next 13-14 years....Irsay....stable Jim....will make the calls....if not Casey Irsay Foyt will!!!!!!!!!

Not sure why you are even trying to make points.  You ARE trolling.  Please stop it....it is annoying.  You woke the big dog up from  hibernation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :cuss:  :censored2:  :censored: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by BrentMc11

I think what type of deal the Colts sign Luck to will be fascinating. Remember that Wilson, Kaep and RG will also be up at the same time. I think if the Colts are smart they extend Andrew next off-season so they can stay ahead of the QB market. That being said if Luck, Wilson or Kaep win the SB this year then I think their deals get done this off-season which will somewhat set the market for the young QBs. Of course Newton is in there too. His deal is up after next season so I would think Carolina will get something done this off-season for him.

There is just so much wrong with this idea.If we kept Manning and received Luck it would have been a huge drain on our cap. You were looking at almost 21 million dollars and 17% of your cap invested into one position. We would have still had to gut the team like Grigs did and who knows if we could have afforded to bring Wayne back.Even if you do not look at the money issue you have to think of the development of Luck. Do we really see Peyton as being this great mentor? No, the guy is an insane competitor who just wants to win. Is he really going to want to share snaps with Luck? Take time to work with him in the video? Nope, that would take time away from him getting ready for the next game.How long would have Luck set? If Peyton played at the level he has these past two years in Indy you are looking at almost three years riding the pine? Are you really going to sit the number one overall pick for over three seasons? How do you tell the fans you are cutting Peyton after two season and coming off a great season to give it to an unproven rookie?I was fine with going all in with Manning and trade the pick. I was fine with going all in with Luck. Keeping both would have been a disaster.

Luck is a once in a generation quarterback with a ton of upside.. He's a NFL ready player and he's not someone you want to sit. Manning's health and salary pretty much made him impossible to trade. Your right Polians view made no sense for a team who desperately needed to rebuild.

I admit at first I wasn't a fan of getting rid of guys like Dallas Clark but after seeing how everything panned out I realize why I'm not a GM.. the Colts made the best decision possible and everything has played out well for us.. We are getting so much talent on this squad while we still have a ton of cap space and we have arguably the best QB for the future

I have been waiting all week for your avatar and all you got is the logo with a camera? Come on! What about Brady with the goat? Or Bill and his cut off sleeves? So much fun Pats fodder out there. Color me disappointed. :Mope:

It annoyed sissy Pats fans enough for them to complain and have it taken down.

It annoyed sissy Pats fans enough for them to complain and have it taken down.

Really?

Hey, I have a bet with Adonis that if the Pats win he has to have as his avatar a picture of my choosing for one month. And if the Colts win then I have to put his picture for my avatar. Do you want in this on bet? If the Colts win, I will put Adonis' pic first for one month and then yours for the month after.

Really?

Hey, I have a bet with Adonis that if the Pats win he has to have as his avatar a picture of my choosing for one month. And if the Colts win then I have to put his picture for my avatar. Do you want in this on bet? If the Colts win, I will put Adonis' pic first for one month and then yours for the month after.

Done

Luck will not leave Indianapolis, unless the Colts insult him with a below-market offer, which they will not.  He's a warrior who plays as much for his teammates as he does for himself.  He had millions waiting for him in the NFL and he stayed at Stanford to finish his degree and finish what he started with DeCastro, Martin, Fleener, Howell, Griff (a walk on) and the other 2008 recruits (who, by the way, joined a 1-win team when they committed).  He is also an intelligent, homebody sort who won't feel that he needs the bright lights and attention of New York or another giant media market to be happy.  Just look for him on Twitter...  you'll be looking for a long time.

BTW, the story at Stanford is that when Griff was elevated from walk-on to scholarship player, Andrew cried for him.

That's 26 something's. I like Indy and know people that absolutely love it but I also know people couldn't wait to leave. Which is Andrew? Plus the money thing? I think the chances are better for him staying than leaving but I would bet on it.

Lol you're just speculating and saying teams would pay him. But he's not voiced displeasure here, and seems to have a great relationship with Jim.

So yes he could leave. But there's no reason to think he won't stay here.

What the heck is your agenda?  

Luck will b the Colts QB for the next 13-14 years....Irsay....stable Jim....will make the calls....if not Casey Irsay Foyt will!!!!!!!!!

Not sure why you are even trying to make points.  You ARE trolling.  Please stop it....it is annoying.  You woke the big dog up from  hibernation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :cuss:  :censored2:  :censored: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Please" is not necessary for trolls

Posted · Hidden by 21isSuperman, January 13, 2014 - accusing others of trolling
Hidden by 21isSuperman, January 13, 2014 - accusing others of trolling

good because he's staying to think other wise shows a complete lack of understanding how the franchise tag works in the NFL or is just flat out wishful thinking or is just an attempt to troll. I am done wasting my time debating something that isn't going to happen Irsay didn't draft Manning's replacement to go through this again in five years.

Coolfat=troll

I think what type of deal the Colts sign Luck to will be fascinating. Remember that Wilson, Kaep and RG will also be up at the same time. I think if the Colts are smart they extend Andrew next off-season so they can stay ahead of the QB market. That being said if Luck, Wilson or Kaep win the SB this year then I think their deals get done this off-season which will somewhat set the market for the young QBs. Of course Newton is in there too. His deal is up after next season so I would think Carolina will get something done this off-season for him.

Assuming the Colts and Redskins use the fifth year option on Luck and Griffin, then Wilson and Kaep will sign new deals the year before, along with Newton (assuming the Panthers use their fifth year option as well.) I'd like to see the Colts reach a deal with Luck after the 2014 season (that's the soonest they can), but it's too early to predict whether that happens, and if it does, what kind of money it would be for. It would be in Luck's best interests, financially speaking, to wait until after his fifth year. So many variables still.

I lot of you sure getting your panties in a bunch over a maybe scenario. Such a hostile few. I remember people saying the same about Peyton never leaving right up to the end.

Manning didn't leave . He was forced out. So unless the same happens there is no reason to believe Luck will leave.

You can't have your cake and eat it, too. As much as I wanted us to find a way to do this at the time, it was only out of a sense of loyalty toward Manning. Luck was a can't-miss prospect, a guy that you simply don't pass up on when you have the chance to draft him. With the uncertainty surrounding Manning at the time, looking toward the future made sense. Trading out of the #1 was too risky, since no one -- not even Manning -- knew if he'd ever play at a high level again. If someone could have guaranteed that Manning would play at a high level when he came back, maybe you hunker down and make another run with him, but too much was unknown. Benching Luck would have been a waste; I have no doubt that Luck would have benefited from being around Manning, but he's shown an ability to learn on the fly. If we wound up with the third pick, we probably would have kept Manning. I'm just glad we didn't get #2 and then cut Manning and draft Griffin.

It's only after those issues that you start worrying about the cap. And the structure of the Manning contract, specifically the date of the bonus, made it impossible to restructure. So there would have been a heavy cap strain to keep both of them. Would have probably cost us two of three of Mathis, Wayne and Freeney (I think we should have cut Freeney anyways), or maybe we wouldn't have been able to sign Redding or Satele. The 2013 offseason would have been entirely different, not in a good way.

Long story short, it would not have been ideal to keep Manning and draft Luck. Best of both worlds, sure, but the team would have suffered dramatically in other areas, making it nearly impossible to contend. And Luck's development would have been delayed; the positives gained from being around Manning don't outweigh the positives from being on the field.

When you set aside, sentimentality, the right decision was made. It sucks, because Manning should have been able to finish his career as a Colt. But between the structure of his contract, us having the #1 pick, and the uncertainty of Manning's recovery, there's really no way to defend a different course of action.

Unless the Colts intended on signing Manning and then trading him , Polian is insane.

1) Wouldn't he have to get rid of Manning after year one or year two anyway ? No way Luck sits for 3 or 3+ years. If you paid him the 27 mill as Polian says , it's even dumber yet as the Colts would get hit with a huge cap penalty. The only way to do this would be to do a different contract with Manning. 

2) Nuts to give a guy 27 mill without knowing if his neck and arm were ok.

3) As great a kid as Luck is , there is no way a good agent would ever stand for Luck maybe sitting as much as 3 years. Way ... way better off just saying get lost and actually sitting the year out. 

Just no way in hell that it was even close to being a good option and Polian was ( is )getting feeble if that's really what he suggested. Even if total QB money wasn't insane , there is no way you can do this without figuring Manning to play for 3 years and that makes drafting Luck ridiculous.

Interestingly enough, Luck is putting up similar numbers to Manning in some of his MVP seasons in Indy. He's currently got his team in the same position as the Broncos. The fact is that at this moment in time, theres no evidence that keeping Manning would have been favorable to the Colts long term and thankfully short term success.