Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Better run stop safety?

MarquisJ

I was a more casual fan when Sanders played, but it seemed to me that he was always visible when big plays were made.

Landry hasn't been that visible (at least to me) since his injury earlier this season.

I think I'd rather have Landry make the hit, though. He seems more durable.

Bob only because he actually wraps up

Laron Landry just launches himself. I was mad on Jamal Charles TD run cause Laron Landry just launched himself at Charles, missed & took out Robert Mathis. Mathis then proceeded to grab his legs in pain. If Landry would've injured Robert Mathis, I would've officially added him to my "who to get out of Indianapolis" list

:rantoff:

Bob only because he actually wraps up

Laron Landry just launches himself. I was mad on Jamal Charles TD run cause Laron Landry just launched himself at Charles, missed & took out Robert Mathis. Mathis then proceeded to grab his legs in pain. If Landry would've injured Robert Mathis, I would've officially added him to my "who to get out of Indianapolis" list

:rantoff:

I saw that on the replay today. I didn't see that Mathis had been hurt, though. That's only cool when KC's defense does it to each other. :(

I saw that on the replay today. I didn't see that Mathis had been hurt, though. That's only cool when KC's defense does it to each other. :(

If you watch it where Landry misses, you'll see Mathis take the blow and then roll over grabbing his legs.

Friendly fire is a no-no here. Especially when it's Landry's huge self knocking our players out. He's lucky Mathis came back & had a great game

If you watch it where Landry misses, you'll see Mathis take the blow and then roll over grabbing his legs.

Friendly fire is a no-no here. Especially when it's Landry's huge self knocking our players out. He's lucky Mathis came back & had a great game

I was watching the condensed version, which runs only an hour on TV. The commentators pointed out the hit but the video skipped to the next play at the cadence. I'll have to go to game rewind to see it.

Sanders didnt have all these panzi rules Landry has to play under. You could still take somebodies head off when Sanders was playing. With all the rule changes I can't even think of many safeties I admire any more for being ferocious hitters and run supporters.

I remember seeing that hit live, it was a preseason game. Sadly Bob got injured in the first game of the regular season. What a shot! And he got flagged for it. Today he would be suspended the whole season for his hits....

Landry can lay the wood, but he isn't Bob Sanders. Sanders was a complete game changer. Landry just isnt at that level. Howell filled in nicely for him when he was out earlier in the year. with Bob out, there was a huge dropoff. But that is also bc we played a Tampa 2 with undersized D linemen, which required him Bob to make a lot more plays than a safety is expected to make. He was a good form tackler as well. Watch some of his highlight reels on YouTube. While he did lay guys out, most of the time he wrapped up. The hit he out on Cedric Benson in the Super Bowl was textbook tackling. He just wasn't big/durable enough to sustain the hits he took/gave. And while it may be blasphemy to say...I think he was on PEDs in his later years. Two biceps tears in conscutive years? That's indicative of someone on something, I think he probably took them to recover from his injuries, not for a performance advantage. He didn't need that. Again, just speculation on my part. I still loved him and he remains my favorite Colt.

Bob, hands down. He was a flat out monster when he was on the field. Problem was he WAS our run stopper, the eraser. He was asked to do way to much. He left it all out on the field so was injured more than healthy. Loved that dude!

Sanders was the better player without a doubt. But it's a moot point...Relying on having the guy available 40% of the time is a whole different matter. Landry to me has been good, not spectacular. Would like to see him actively assist the corners in coverage a bit more.