Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Seeding Based on Record? What do you Think?

Girlzarefanstoo

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000308443/article/nfl-to-consider-reseeding-playoffs-purely-by-record

I am one that thinks it isn't fair for a team to have a significantly better record but if in 2nd place in their division they are a Wildcard behind a team from a lesser division.

I said that in 2008 when we (San Diego) won our division at 8-8 and the Colts that were I think 11-5 that year had to come to our house.  Even when we benefited from the rule I didn't think it right and still don't.

What are your thoughts?

I think that win your division and you're in, no matter how bad your record is fair enough.  Placement from there by record and league tiebreakers.

What are your thoughts?

I think that win your division and you're in, no matter how bad your record is fair enough.  Placement from there by record and league tiebreakers.

If they reseed based on records, there is no point in having divisions. They should leave it the way it is or just expand it.

Timely because the NFL website has an article out about this - AGAIN. But I agree with Everyone.

The goal each season is simple - win your division. It's why you play six games there - to be as sure as possible that the best team in a division rises to the top. It's how those rivalries become so important - you are scrabbling with the same teams for the same prize every year. Then you get to the next level where those four champions fight to determine who continues.

The wild-card teams originated as more of a "what the heck, let them in - it might boost interest in the sport by keeping more teams involved later in the season." gimmick. They've been more successful recently as the league has become more balanced, but the idea of giving home field advantage to a team that wasn't even good enough to win their own division just perverts the entire concept of the current structure.

They aren't being cheated out of anything, they are supposed to be simply thankful that they got a second chance.

As Everyone said, make this change and there is really no point to having divisions at all, just line everyone up and put the top X teams in the playoffs. We've seen that in other sports and it's horrific in comparison. And even worse, since there are too many teams to have everyone play everyone else home and away, remove the reward for winning a division and the luck of the schedule draw becomes a FAR bigger factor in determining success. This proposal doesn't make things "more fair", it's actually exactly the opposite.

If they reseed based on records, there is no point in having divisions. They should leave it the way it is or just expand it.

But if you're guaranteed in when you win your division - that keeps them still important.  Just seed according to record. 

Green Bay won their division at 8-7-1 and San Francisco was 2nd at 12-4.  If this change was implemented, Green Bay would be headed to SF.  Do they deserve that much of an advantage? 

Just thinking out loud here, I can be convinced ;)

Timely because the NFL website has an article out about this - AGAIN. But I agree with Everyone.

The goal each season is simple - win your division. It's why you play six games there - to be as sure as possible that the best team in a division rises to the top. It's how those rivalries become so important - you are scrabbling with the same teams for the same prize every year. Then you get to the next level where those four champions fight to determine who continues.

The wild-card teams originated as more of a "what the heck, let them in - it might boost interest in the sport by keeping more teams involved later in the season." gimmick. They've been more successful recently as the league has become more balanced, but the idea of giving home field advantage to a team that wasn't even good enough to win their own division just perverts the entire concept of the current structure.

They aren't being cheated out of anything, they are supposed to be simply thankful that they got a second chance.

As Everyone said, make this change and there is really no point to having divisions at all, just line everyone up and put the top X teams in the playoffs. We've seen that in other sports and it's horrific in comparison. And even worse, since there are too many teams to have everyone play everyone else home and away, remove the reward for winning a division and the luck of the schedule draw becomes a FAR bigger factor in determining success. This proposal doesn't make things "more fair", it's actually exactly the opposite.

mind_blown.gif

Yea but what if a team goes 11-5 with the hardest schedule in the league and wins the division, should the team who is 12-4 with the easiest schedule in the league and not win the division get a higher seed? I don't think so

No different from a team in a weak division getting it easy though. I'm happy to leave the format alone, but if we seeded each Conference based on overall record, I wouldn't grumble.

Its fine the way it is. If you have the best record in the div- then you win. If its 8-8 so be it. Tho 8-8 teams tend to get bounced early.

If you lose the div at 11-5 then you gotta play your division better is all.

exactly.......

It would be just another reason for teams to sit regulars in the late weeks..

I like the fact that the best you can do if you do not win your division is a 5th seed where you are on the road..

....you play division teams twice each..win your division...or pay the price..

God yes.  I am fine with the division winner getting an automatic playoff birth, but once you get to the playoffs they should reseed.  I hate seeing a team with a better record traveling to a team with a worse record.  It is crazy that the 49ers have to travel to Green Bay all because Green Bay played in a easier division.

I would like to see the NBA do it too.  I wish I could see the NFL play series instead of one and done as well, but I know that will never happen as the game is just so grueling.

I like the division set up as it aids in creating rivalries etc. and adds a degree of variance in those halcyon days of league parity. What I would like to see is the wildcards not being conference dependent. So if the 4 best teams who HAVEN'T won their division happen to be in the NFC so be it. However I can see why it is the way it is so teams such as MIA/BAL/PITT this year still had something to play for despite being mediocre teams at best this season.   

If the same teams were getting hosed time and time again, I'd be more inclined to want a change. As it stands, the strength of any given division is usually a cyclical thing. This year it's the NFC West, but not too long ago the four of those teams were all pretty bad, and the winner of that division would come in around .500. But obviously that's not the case in 2013.

They should implement the 'Looney Rule', where the same team cannot reach the play-offs nearly every year, when they have their franchise QB in play. SO if Brady or Manning or Luck or Rodgers are healthy, only one of those teams can get in, and the Browns, Bills and the Texans get their spot. I think I'll petition Peter King to champion this......

I like the division set up as it aids in creating rivalries etc. and adds a degree of variance in those halcyon days of league parity. What I would like to see is the wildcards not being conference dependent. So if the 4 best teams who HAVEN'T won their division happen to be in the NFC so be it. However I can see why it is the way it is so teams such as MIA/BAL/PITT this year still had something to play for despite being mediocre teams at best this season.   

That doesn't work as there are two different "playoffs" that end up in the best team from each Conference representing in the Super Bowl. 

After reading everyone's posts I guess, I'm moving back to the "don't fix what ain't broke" camp.  I can see that any "fix" would just create another inequity.  As long a humans are involved it will never be "perfect!"

That doesn't work as there are two different "playoffs" that end up in the best team from each Conference representing in the Super Bowl. 

After reading everyone's posts I guess, I'm moving back to the "don't fix what ain't broke" camp.  I can see that any "fix" would just create another inequity.  As long a humans are involved it will never be "perfect!"

I don't get how giving the team with the best record the home game is an "inequity." 

After reading everyone's posts I guess, I'm moving back to the "don't fix what ain't broke" camp. I can see that any "fix" would just create another inequity. As long a humans are involved it will never be "perfect!"

Understand that, but it's an idea that seemed fairer(?) to me in some ways. But your right you can't have out of conference teams winning the conference championship.

The current format is perfect. Should be happy there is a WC so you're not watching the post season from your couch. Just gotta roll with the punches n accept that you have to go onto the road. It's not GBs fault that SF is in a tough division n they shouldn't loose out on a home game because of it.

The current format is perfect. Should be happy there is a WC so you're not watching the post season from your couch. Just gotta roll with the punches n accept that you have to go onto the road. It's not GBs fault that SF is in a tough division n they shouldn't loose out on a home game because of it.

Just curious, did you think I was a SF fan, or were you speaking global "you"? 

I'm trying to approach the idea without a specific event/team/division in mind, since any rule change would apply to an entirely different situation.  I do remember how upset Colt's fans were in 2008 when the Chargers won the division at 8-8 on the last day and they had to come to San Diego.  I didn't blame them and wasn't sure that's how it should have worked out then even when it benefited our team.

Just curious, did you think I was a SF fan, or were you speaking global "you"? 

I'm trying to approach the idea without a specific event/team/division in mind, since any rule change would apply to an entirely different situation.  I do remember how upset Colt's fans were in 2008 when the Chargers won the division at 8-8 on the last day and they had to come to San Diego.  I didn't blame them and wasn't sure that's how it should have worked out then even when it benefited our team.

I've known you were a SD fan since I joined the forum haha (Was thinking about older posters that disappeared yesterday n ya popped in my head then haha coincidence ya reappear now). I'm sure if the tables were turned SF fans would be saying "Win your division n ya won't have to worry bout it". Imo it's just an owner with a gripe who feels he deserves to get more money in his pocket.

I've known you were a SD fan since I joined the forum haha (Was thinking about older posters that disappeared yesterday n ya popped in my head then haha coincidence ya reappear now). I'm sure if the tables were turned SF fans would be saying "Win your division n ya won't have to worry bout it". Imo it's just an owner with a gripe who feels he deserves to get more money in his pocket.

I just wondered as the Rivers' picture IS probably a DEAD GIVEAWAY :yes:

I agree.

There should be a penalty for not winning your division..

..I don't want 3rd place teams hosting division champs...