Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I don't usually do the "refs cost us the game" thing...(merge)

cmgww

But they had a BIG hand in Cincy's win. That was the worst display of officiating I've seen in a long time, including Ron Winter and his gang.

1. The TD. CLEARLY not a TD. End of story. One score game going into the half changes the dynamic.

2. Taunting call. Yes, it was stupid on Freeman's part, but that crap goes on all the time. And it turned a 5 yard loss into a 15 yard gain.

3. The PI call late in the 3rd. It wasn't there. Again, a momentum changer.

4. No grounding on ginger Dalton. Seriously?

There are others I am probably forgetting, but man, I don't recall a game so badly officiated...on both sides. Cincy had some bad calls go against them too

Bottom line, the Colts deserved to lose today. The Bengals are a really good team. But the officiating was terrible, and I hate seeing a game like this where the refs get so involved.

I know the Colts lost the football game but these last few weeks of officiating in the nfl have been horrible! Jeff Triplett clearly screwed us on at least 2 calls. One being the green-ellis td, and the no call on daltons throw away pass. Chap obviously tripped green ellis up and was down short of the goal line. There was no conclusive evidence that would change the ruling on the field which was originally called down by contact and short... then the throw away, it should have been intentional grounding since he was still in the pocket but yet there was no penalty and they went on to score again. I hope triplett is fined or suspended for this especially for the overruling call. The refs are not and should not be above the league office and should be subject to fines just as any player is for breaking any rule on the field. If we don't have fair officiating then why even play??? Essentially he gave them 7 points and an argument could be made he gave them 14 in all.

But they had a BIG hand in Cincy's win. That was the worst display of officiating I've seen in a long time, including Ron Winter and his gang.

1. The TD. CLEARLY not a TD. End of story. One score game going into the half changes the dynamic.

2. Taunting call. Yes, it was stupid on Freeman's part, but that crap goes on all the time. And it turned a 5 yard loss into a 15 yard gain.

There are others I am probably forgetting, but man, I don't recall a game so badly officiated...on both sides. Cincy had some bad calls go against them too

Bottom line, the Colts deserved to lose today. The Bengals are a really good team. But the officiating was terrible, and I hate seeing a game like this where the refs get so involved.

I'm totally with you!!! I don't pay much attention to the officiating and I think teams just need to overcome bad officiating so I don't ever complain about it. But this was just terribly bad officiating to the point that the league needs to take a look at this. The call on the TD was so bad I have no words to explain it and that's very unusual for me. 

The taunting call was bad. For us, bc Freeman did it...but to call it? EVERY PLAY there's trash talking. Freeman made the mistake of doing in front of the ref. But the assistant quickly went out to yell at him and get him back out on the field. The flag should have been kept in the ref's pocket. Big momentum changer there, when we were still in it. Let them play for heaven's sake!

The taunting call was bad. For us, bc Freeman did it...but to call it? EVERY PLAY there's trash talking. Freeman made the mistake of doing in front of the ref. But the assistant quickly went out to yell at him and get him back out on the field. The flag should have been kept in the ref's pocket. Big momentum changer there, when we were still in it. Let them play for heaven's sake!

I didn't think the taunting was on Freeman.

I NEVER said the officiating cost us the game...so don't put words into my mouth. I said it was a big factor in this game, and it was. It was terrible. You can throw up stats all day...but how many of those yards came after calls that benefited the Bengals? The final score should have read 35-28. End of story.

Not necessarily. There's no telling if that 4th down TD call broke Indy's defensive morale. They were mostly sluggish the rest of the game after that.

It was a terrible call. Who knows what would have happened had that been different. I've been debating quitting watching the NFL for some time now with ask these penalties and terrible referees. This season might push me over that ledge.

I do not blame the refs for the loss.  The offense needs to play better in the first half of games and the defense did not play well.  That being said, the officiating in the NFL across the board this year has been bad.  Too many blatant mistakes by these refs, I hope the NFL will make changes.

Here's the jerks explanation. The only thing that might make sense here is the official that ruled he was touched thought he saw the contact at the goal line. S that's where Triplett looked ? Dunno but it might be a legit call if that's the case...

CINCINNATI -- Here's the transcript on referee Jeff Triplett's explanation on why he reversed the play where the Colts appeared to stop the Bengals on fourth-and-goal from the 1-yard line late in the first half of their 42-28 loss: 

Were there differing views among the officials about whether BenJarvus Green-Elliswas down initially? 

Triplett: There was discussion about whether the runner was touched down at the goal line or not. 

What did you see in the review? 

Triplett: When we reviewed the video at the goal line, there was nobody touching him there, and then he bounced into the end zone. 

What about the nose tackle? It appeared he might have had a shot at Green-Ellis? 

Triplett: I don't know about that, what position ... There was nobody that touched him at the goal line. 

So you didn't look at whether anybody touched him in the backfield? 

Triplett: We looked at the goal line, (those) were the shots that we looked at. 

There was a question about whether the nose tackle initially swiped at him and started him tripping? 

Triplett: We reviewed the goal line.

•  

are nfl refs allowed to bet on games, and if not who checks on this? triplett makes the nfl look bad,

Here's the jerks explanation. The only thing that might make sense here is the official that ruled he was touched thought he saw the contact at the goal line. S that's where Triplett looked ? Dunno but it might be a legit call if that's the case...

CINCINNATI -- Here's the transcript on referee Jeff Triplett's explanation on why he reversed the play where the Colts appeared to stop the Bengals on fourth-and-goal from the 1-yard line late in the first half of their 42-28 loss: 

Were there differing views among the officials about whether BenJarvus Green-Elliswas down initially? 

Triplett: There was discussion about whether the runner was touched down at the goal line or not. 

What did you see in the review? 

Triplett: When we reviewed the video at the goal line, there was nobody touching him there, and then he bounced into the end zone. 

What about the nose tackle? It appeared he might have had a shot at Green-Ellis? 

Triplett: I don't know about that, what position ... There was nobody that touched him at the goal line. 

So you didn't look at whether anybody touched him in the backfield? 

Triplett: We looked at the goal line, (those) were the shots that we looked at. 

There was a question about whether the nose tackle initially swiped at him and started him tripping? 

Triplett: We reviewed the goal line.

•  

If that is his explanation he should be suspended.  They are supposed to review the whole play, not just a small part of it.

If that is his explanation he should be suspended.  They are supposed to review the whole play, not just a small part of it.

I hear you but IMO , there was no visual evidence of Chapman contacting him. So if that wasn't the contact that was called , then it would have to be visual evidence that Chapman touched him. I don't think J- Green stumbling would be that. Not sure all this is the case, just trying to look with an open mind.

I hear you but IMO , there was no visual evidence of Chapman contacting him. So if that wasn't the contact that was called , then it would have to be visual evidence that Chapman touched him. I don't think J- Green stumbling would be that. Not sure all this is the case, just trying to look with an open mind.

There didn't have to be evidence he touched him. There had to be evidence he didn't touch him. And there wasn't any of that either.

I understand what you are saying, but the ruling on the field was down by contact.  There was no clear evidence that he was not touched by Chapman either, so the ruling should have stood. 

They let Sheppard slide earlier for the same thing, you could see the ref warn him. Then Freeman decides to do the same thing later. Of all the penalties that are easy to avoid, taunting is the easiest to never commit. 

Sucks that Freeman did it at that point in the game. ......don't do that.

Triplett has a track record of deplorable calls. Today's reversal on the goaline stand was inexcusable. He should be fired, period.