Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Potential on Offense

Rob Lowe

I feel like as an offense we currently have a lot of potential that has a chance of being stunted or halted entirely if our offensive line doesn't improve. And that has to start with the draft and free agency. We absolutely have to replace the majority of what we're working with. Goster seems to be the only one who can carry his weight.

We will also need a solid x-receiver. With an aging and injured Reggie, and with what we all hope we have in Da'Rick Rogers, it's clear we need another no. 1/2 receiver allowing T.Y. to stay in the slot where he is most comfortable and effective.

At tight end we have unlimited potential. Allen was well on his way to establishing himself as one of the NFL elite TE's, from a blocking and receiving standpoint. Fleener will be a great no.2/substitute/slot man. At tight end, we truly will be among the NFLs best.

RB is another area of great depth, talent, and potential. We've got 4 guys, only one of which is an already proven player, albeit a consistently injured on. Ahmad will likely not be back. That leaves us with Brown, Ballard, and Richardson. Brown has starting ability, while Vick Ballard was making strides in improvement before his unfortunate injury. Who knows how he will come back. With Richardson, we have a guy with unlimited potential but with limited support/knowledgment of the system and playbook. Our offensive line has given him absolutely zero chance of being successful despite these circumstances, but that doesn't excuse his lack of assertiveness, his hesitance, or his lack of burst. These are areas that if he improves on, could lead to him becoming a very solid NFL back. Regardless, we've got a guy in Brown who can carry the load until these 2 are ready to make their mark.

We all know what we've got at QB with Luck. He is truly a gamechanger and well on his way to doing great things. Unfortunately, he's held back by the same thing that plagues the rest of our offense: Extremeky porous offensive line play.

Our offense will not get the chance it needs to allow its unlimited potential to blossom if we don't drastically improve our offensive line. With a dominant top 10 offensive line, we could easily become one of the top offenses in the NFL. We run a system predicated on strong offensive line play, strong running, and a smack you in the mouth attitude... But we currently can't do any of that due to OL personel.

All of our playmakers are young, hungry, and full of talent and possibilities. We must find a way to get some better guys for our offensive line or I fear we'll always be held back.

I feel like as an offense we currently have a lot of potential that has a chance of being stunted or halted entirely if our offensive line doesn't improve. And that has to start with the draft and free agency. We absolutely have to replace the majority of what we're working with. Goster seems to be the only one who can carry his weight.

We will also need a solid x-receiver. With an aging and injured Reggie, and with what we all hope we have in Da'Rick Rogers, it's clear we need another no. 1/2 receiver allowing T.Y. to stay in the slot where he is most comfortable and effective.

At tight end we have unlimited potential. Allen was well on his way to establishing himself as one of the NFL elite TE's, from a blocking and receiving standpoint. Fleener will be a great no.2/substitute/slot man. At tight end, we truly will be among the NFLs best.

RB is another area of great depth, talent, and potential. We've got 4 guys, only one of which is an already proven player, albeit a consistently injured on. Ahmad will likely not be back. That leaves us with Brown, Ballard, and Richardson. Brown has starting ability, while Vick Ballard was making strides in improvement before his unfortunate injury. Who knows how he will come back. With Richardson, we have a guy with unlimited potential but with limited support/knowledgment of the system and playbook. Our offensive line has given him absolutely zero chance of being successful despite these circumstances, but that doesn't excuse his lack of assertiveness, his hesitance, or his lack of burst. These are areas that if he improves on, could lead to him becoming a very solid NFL back. Regardless, we've got a guy in Brown who can carry the load until these 2 are ready to make their mark.

We all know what we've got at QB with Luck. He is truly a gamechanger and well on his way to doing great things. Unfortunately, he's held back by the same thing that plagues the rest of our offense: Extremeky porous offensive line play.

Our offense will not get the chance it needs to allow its unlimited potential to blossom if we don't drastically improve our offensive line. With a dominant top 10 offensive line, we could easily become one of the top offenses in the NFL. We run a system predicated on strong offensive line play, strong running, and a smack you in the mouth attitude... But we currently can't do any of that due to OL personel.

All of our playmakers are young, hungry, and full of talent and possibilities. We must find a way to get some better guys for our offensive line or I fear we'll always be held back.

I couldn't agree more it all starts with the O line we have to go out and get the pieces we need in FA don't have time to wait for rookies to develop just hope Grigs feels the same way and gets the stud linemen we need

imo we will use six on the 0-line a lot to make up for weakness

I couldn't agree more it all starts with the O line we have to go out and get the pieces we need in FA don't have time to wait for rookies to develop just hope Grigs feels the same way and gets the stud linemen we need

Our Grigson OWNS keeping Olson for the 53 man roster last year.

He owns Satele.

He owns coming Back with McGlynn this year.

He owns dumping Shipley.

He owns keeping Link over Ijalana.

He owns keeping Castonzo at LT.

Grade D 

One can defintely question his judgement.

He owns Satele.

He owns dumping Shipley.

Grade D

One can defintely question his judgement.

Maybe but I'm gonna see wat he does this offseason with the o line before I judge him

Maybe but I'm gonna see wat he does this offseason with the o line before I judge him

28 games of Satele & McGlynn not enough to earn him a grade eh'? You still think AC is a good LT?

Sure the next moves can fix things in time. But he kinda screwed his best "QB prospect in 25 years" putting these guys in front of him, basically wasting 2 years of O-Line developement with them.  I`m thinking Andrew is sick of it.  JMO Go Colts!

He owns Satele.

He owns dumping Shipley.

Grade D 

One can defintely question his judgement.

Well, we don't know who else has been included in these decisions, so let's use 'Grigson' as a catch all.

Also, he owns Thomas & Thornton. Both are unknown right now.

Shipley & Ijalana aren't exactly burning it up elsewhere.

The subject of his first year was 'stop gap' due to extremely limited funds.

Last off season was 'fill in where you can, and cover a few weak areas'.

Since the OL remains weak, I'm guessing this off season will be to concentrate on that, though a pass rusher may still be a hole.

CB just needs depth.

28 games of Satele & McGlynn not enough to earn him a grade eh'? You still think AC is a good LT?

Sure the next moves can fix things in time. But he kinda screwed his best "QB prospect in 25 years" putting these guys in front of him, basically wasting 2 years of O-Line developement with them. I`m thinking Andrew is sick of it. JMO Go Colts!

Yeah I agree a bit but we had many holes last year couldn't spend all our money on the top O line FAs but I'm not sold on AC but I think he's better then satele and McGlynn if we can replace them it will do a lot IMO

I've seen some say we could have to cap to sign 3 big players so I've stuck by Mack and Asamoah and we could maybe go Orakpo to help the pass rush or even go after a LT and really beef up the o line

Yeah I agree a bit but we had many holes last year couldn't spend all our money on the top O line FAs but I'm not sold on AC but I think he's better then satele and McGlynn if we can replace them it will do a lot IMO

I've seen some say we could have to cap to sign 3 big players so I've stuck by Mack and Asamoah and we could maybe go Orakpo to help the pass rush or even go after a LT and really beef up the o line

AC was the Man as a run blocker his 1st 2 years. He needs some help beside him, including a much better pulling guard than McGlynn.

I feel strongly he lacks the athleticism to be a LT. Should be a plus pass blocker as a RT which Grigson determined he Won`t be as a Colt.

Yes he was stuck this year with Satele`s dead cap #. Sad!

No way he was stuck with McGlynn this year and Andrew deserved Better!

Thornton is a top athlete and supposedly intelligent, so lets hope he has a big jump in year 2.

AC was the Man as a run blocker his 1st 2 years. He needs some help beside him, including a much better pulling guard than McGlynn.

I feel strongly he lacks the athleticism to be a LT. Should be a plus pass blocker as a RT which Grigson determined he Won`t be as a Colt.

Yes he was stuck this year with Satele`s dead cap #. Sad!

No way he was stuck with McGlynn this year and Andrew deserved Better!

Thornton is a top athlete and supposedly intelligent, so lets hope he has a big jump in year 2.

I agree I have faith that thorton will be good but I'd still pick up Asamoah cause Thomas is coming off of another season ending surgery I lathing our line could be pretty good if it wa AC Thomas/Thorton Mack Asamoah Cherilus

I agree I have faith that thorton will be good but I'd still pick up Asamoah cause Thomas is coming off of another season ending surgery I lathing our line could be pretty good if it wa AC Thomas/Thorton Mack Asamoah Cherilus

Good point. We have a few guys that need to have Big recoveries the Line is no place to gamble

. And another season of a P-Poor line is unacceptable.

Ok, so here is how we fix the OL right now. I have somewhat suggested this before and was laugh at (about putting Reitz at LT.

Reitz at LT ---AC LG----Myglenn at C----Thorton RG----Cherilus RT

I know his name is poison around here but according to Cowherd Polian thinks we might draft as many as three o-lineman in the draft this off-season. 

Some things to think about with the o-line

Satele is at best a stop gap and Holmes is a complete unknown

McGlynn, Reitz, and even Link are backs up at best and could very well all be gone this off-season.

Thomas needs to get healthy and stay healthy and is an incomplete at this point but clearly as viewed as a starter.

Thornton has really struggled as a rookie but again he's a rookie not all of them are Andrew Luck out of the box.

GC has been our best lineman this season and looks like he's worth every penny Grigson spent for him.

Castonzo is solid to good LT but isn't exceptional and really struggles with elite pass rushers.  He's also going into a contract year.  The Colts are going to have to make a choice do you extend him and probably put serious coin into him or do you let him walk and get another LT? 

He's probably the biggest choice the Colts have to make on the o-line and whatever they pick will probably determine the direction we go with the line in the future. 

very few o-line draft picks can start and do good in the nfl.it take a few years for them to develop, why wait ,spend our cap money on proven players, draft picks are to be traded for good players, let someone else draft them, groom them and then sign them when they are good

If we fix the line, I want proven blockers that can come in and immediately start and make an impact. meaning we bring in high caliber interior linemen through FA. addressing WR this offseason I would like to see one drafted with our 2nd, or bring in one through FA. Go COLTS

He owns Satele.

He owns dumping Shipley.

Grade D

One can defintely question his judgement.

The Ijalana who couldn't get on the football field if his life depended on it cause he's always hurt? That guy? Yeah I'm sure he'd be a BIG help to us right now -___-

The only starting spot we REALLY need to worry about is center, imo the most important OL spot. Thomas will be healthy next year and was solid before injury so no need to worry about starting LG. Thornton will be back to his natural spot at RG and will have a year of EXP under his belt. AC is the perfect LT. Good but not rape your cap elite(Jake Long in MIA ring a bell to anyone?) Cherilus is the perfect RT for us and is worth every penny spent. Only thing we really need to worry about for O line is center and depth. What we really need is a FS to replace Bethea, ILB to replace Angerer, CB for depth/spot work in case Toler gets hurt again, and depth. Hopefully Werner starts to get it together. He's been fantastic in coverage, but is obviously still learning to rush the passer as a pro as well as set that edge in the run game. He is a rookie though so it's expected.

Pagano said it best: It's never as good as you think, n it's also not as bad as you think. We are fine and our future is bright guys.

I think the O Line next year will be:

LT-Castonzo

LG-Thomas

C-Holmes

RG-Thornton

RT-Cherilus

Releasing Satele and letting Mcglynn walk

Do I like that O Line? Not unless were going to go to a Zone scheme with alot of trap blocking and double teams built in and Holmes and Thornton have made a huge jump in play,  I'd like to bring in Willie Colone as a veteran presence for our young O Line to start on a 1 or 2 year deal if we stick with power blocking scheme

If we fix the line, I want proven blockers that can come in and immediately start and make an impact. meaning we bring in high caliber interior linemen through FA. addressing WR this offseason I would like to see one drafted with our 2nd, or bring in one through FA. Go COLTS

I agree. no more draft picks on the o-line ,it takes too long for them to be good. we have tried building the line with draft picks for several years now and it has not worked.spend our cap room to get proven linemen draft picks are risky

The only starting spot we REALLY need to worry about is center, imo the most important OL spot. Thomas will be healthy next year and was solid before injury so no need to worry about starting LG. Thornton will be back to his natural spot at RG and will have a year of EXP under his belt. AC is the perfect LT. Good but not rape your cap elite(Jake Long in MIA ring a bell to anyone?) Cherilus is the perfect RT for us and is worth every penny spent. Only thing we really need to worry about for O line is center and depth. What we really need is a FS to replace Bethea, ILB to replace Angerer, CB for depth/spot work in case Toler gets hurt again, and depth. Hopefully Werner starts to get it together. He's been fantastic in coverage, but is obviously still learning to rush the passer as a pro as well as set that edge in the run game. He is a rookie though so it's expected.

Pagano said it best: It's never as good as you think, n it's also not as bad as you think. We are fine and our future is bright guys.

This is some sun shining blue and white goggles nonsense right here. Other than Cherilus, we need to restructure our entire line. Period. These guys are bums and would likely not start anywhere else

This is some sun shining blue and white goggles nonsense right here. Other than Cherilus, we need to restructure our entire line. Period. These guys are bums and would likely not start anywhere else

Please oh mighty one counter what I say with anything that is fact and proves what I say false.

where do people get this stuff

His suggestion doesn't sound unrealistic to me. To this coaching staff, maybe, but I think a lot of other coaches would've shuffled our line a long time ago if they had these players to work with. AC does have the skill set more suited for a guard. He's just not quick enough to handle edge rushers consistently without lots of help

His suggestion doesn't sound unrealistic to me. To this coaching staff, maybe, but I think a lot of other coaches would've shuffled our line a long time ago if they had these players to work with. AC does have the skill set more suited for a guard. He's just not quick enough to handle edge rushers consistently without lots of help

he is fine at lt. Not great but he is ok and keeps getting better

Please oh mighty one counter what I say with anything that is fact and proves what I say false.

We have the worst offensive line in football. We have the most sacks taken and most QB pressure. We are terrible at running the ball, and half the time our receivers can't even finish running their routes before Luck is taken pressure or dealing with a completely collapsed pocket. Keeping these linemen is not going to solve any of these issues and it's absolutely proposterous to think otherwise

We have the worst offensive line in football. We have the most sacks taken and most QB pressure. We are terrible at running the ball, and half the time our receivers can't even finish running their routes before Luck is taken pressure or dealing with a completely collapsed pocket. Keeping these linemen is not going to solve any of these issues and it's absolutely proposterous to think otherwise

2 guys need replaced. Maybe 3. Our tackles are good enough

I said myself that Cherilus holds his own and should stay. But I'm not completely sold on Castonzo either. He frequently gets burned by speed rushers and gets zero push in the run game. He could be replaced by any of 20 starting LT's in the league and it'd be an upgrade

I said myself that Cherilus holds his own and should stay. But I'm not completely sold on Castonzo either. He frequently gets burned by speed rushers and gets zero push in the run game. He could be replaced by any of 20 starting LT's in the league and it'd be an upgrade

And personally I prefer not to settle for good enough.

The Ijalana who couldn't get on the football field if his life depended on it cause he's always hurt? That guy? Yeah I'm sure he'd be a BIG help to us right now -___-

if you watched him,  you would have seen him playing better LT than AC has all year and immediately picked up by the Jets because he was HEALTHY. Yip! it`s True.

Which is due to our interior line being terrible. Thornton is a rookie so it's expected. Satele is terrible and we need to draft his replacement which I said previously. Thomas was great for us prior to his injury and I see no reason why he won't come back n be solid. When Thomas comes back we will slide Thornton over to RG benching McGlynn which fixes both guard spots. Our tackles are perfectly fine in Ac and GC.