Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kubiak officially fired

dw49

Done deal, guy just recovered from a stroke and the couldn't even wait till the end of the season??

Once you know that someone is going, you get it done. NOTHING good will come of letting him play out the string. And of course he was going. They didn't lose Peyton Manning, they devolved before our eyes for no discernible reason. Any decisions they make at this point have to be about next year.

The fact that he had a stroke isn't a reason for keeping him - quite the opposite. He should probably be concentrating on his health and evaluating his future, not coping with the insane stress of being a head coach with an axe over his head. He's getting paid regardless, and now he has time to sit on the couch and take a deep breath before the new-coach-hunting-carousel starts at the end of the season. They did him a favor.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but do you think Wade would be there nxt year? im guessing they jsut clean house

Wade is probably gone after this year. This thing reminds me of Whisenhunt in Arizona, actually, which is ironic since you're bringing up Ray Horton. The offense couldn't get it done, the defense was pretty good, and the new coach didn't keep the coordinator around. The difference is that I don't think Wade Phillips has a shot of winning the head job, in Houston or elsewhere. He won't storm out when they hire someone else like Horton did, so it will be entirely up to the new coach.

Regardless what happens with Wade, they can do whatever they want with that defense. They're a 1-gap front, and they have good players on defense. 

Our QB's talents and head coach's ideology lend itself well to Kubiak's offensive system.

Just sayin'.

I don't mind Kubiak's system so much as I mind Kubiak.

And to the bolded, I think having someone who differs from Pagano ideologically would be a good thing for the offense. 

5 words you never want to hear as pertaining to your football team: "Wade Phillips, interim head coach."

Because there's really only 2 results.  He does poorly, and the team loses, or he does well, and you end up with an even worse 4 words, "Wade Phillips, head coach."

And to the bolded, I think having someone who differs from Pagano ideologically would be a good thing for the offense.

If I wanted that type of system I would rather have Kyle Shanahan

Guest TeamLoloJones

They need to hire an offensive guy to help the development of Teddy Two Gloves. 

If they are set on drafting Bridgewater then they should just hire Charlie Strong.

Yes but it's definitely not happening I wanted Jon Gruden as HC always was a fan

Kubiak's offensive systems (zone blocking, run first, QB bootlegs) fits Indy very well. The problem you have is the baggage he brings with him. The man just had a stroke and has a perception of playing favorites. He can be stubborn with how he calls plays and was known in Houston for being a control freak in what he allowed QB's to do in his system.

In many regards he and Pep are percieves to have many of the same issues, but Kubiak's system fits the roster better. Its fun to consider what Luck could do with those boots in the Kubiak offense, but Id personally stay away.

but do you think Wade would be there nxt year? im guessing they jsut clean house

No. They need to clean house on that staff. The Colts won't need to worry about the Texans anytime soon. Funny but when the Colts were better it seemed to push the Texans to be their best. 

Kubiak's offensive systems (zone blocking, run first, QB bootlegs) fits Indy very well. The problem you have is the baggage he brings with him. The man just had a stroke and has a perception of playing favorites. He can be stubborn with how he calls plays and was known in Houston for being a control freak in what he allowed QB's to do in his system.

In many regards he and Pep are percieves to have many of the same issues, but Kubiak's system fits the roster better. Its fun to consider what Luck could do with those boots in the Kubiak offense, but Id personally stay away.

Yeah I'm not a fan if bringing in Gary

No. They need to clean house on that staff. The Colts won't need to worry about the Texans anytime soon. Funny but when the Colts were better it seemed to push the Texans to be there best.

It has nothing to do with that. I would put the fall more on Rick Smith than Kubiak honestly. He got trigger happy signing guys like Foster and Schaub to big contracta and put himself in a cap squeeze where he had to let talent along the offensive line and in the defensive secondary walk.

Basically, he overpaid the starters and gave no attention to depth at all. They had a couple injuries, less than many other teams, and the whole thing unraveled. Keeping Rick Smith may be a curse, because its possible the short window team after 5+ years of building is what hes capable of.

It has nothing to do with that. I would put the fall more on Rick Smith than Kubiak honestly. He got trigger happy signing guys like Foster and Schaub to big contracta and put himself in a cap squeeze where he had to let talent along the offensive line and in the defensive secondary walk.

Basically, he overpaid the starters and gave no attention to depth at all. They had a couple injuries, less than many other teams, and the whole thing unraveled. Keeping Rick Smith may be a curse, because its possible the short window team after 5+ years of building is what hes capable of.

Good points. That's the quandary every GM faces. Old sayings are old because they're true. "It starts at the top" I think the value system is best. Dropping big dough and years on a RB is just dumb. I don't know Fosters contract but I'll assume from your statement it's fairly hefty. If you're going to do it with a QB you better be right.

Good points. That's the quandary every GM faces. Old sayings are old because they're true. "It starts at the top" I think the value system is best. Dropping big dough and years on a RB is just dumb. I don't know Fosters contract but I'll assume from your statement it's fairly hefty. If you're going to do it with a QB you better be right.

This year, Foster counts as 8.5 million against the cap, Schab at 14.5 million, and Andre Johnson is a smidge under 12 million. The three of them combined count 35 million against the cap, and still have guaranteed money years left on their contracts, making cutting them or trading them problematic.

This year, Foster counts as 8.5 million against the cap, Schab at 14.5 million, and Andre Johnson is a smidge under 12 million. The three of them combined count 35 million against the cap, and still have guaranteed money years left on their contracts, making cutting them or trading them problematic.

I think Johnsons the only tradable one and he's not really helping his cause. They're going to have to do a package deal.

Why would I be sad.

Because your "super bowl year" has turned into an absolute train wreck as you are back to where you were almost 10 years ago when your team was brought into the league. Two division titles after being horrible for nearly a decade. GG.

Because your "super bowl year" has turned into an absolute train wreck as you are back to where you were almost 10 years ago when your team was brought into the league. Two division titles after being horrible for nearly a decade. GG.

Why are you telling me "GG"? Do I run the team or play on it?

He asked me if I was happy or sad over the firings, not over the season. I know, reading comprehension must be hard for you :lol:

I really thought Houston should have gotten rid of Kubiak a long time ago. Hopefully their FO makes a good decision at HC. There will be a ton of candidates after the firings this off-season not to mention good coordinators and retired coaches that they may lure out of retirement.

Problematic, not impossible.

Schaub doesn't have any trade value, not without reworking his deal. Either way, he would have a dead hit of $10.5m in 2014, but you save $11m in cash, and you free up $17m in cap space in 2015. And you actually gain $4m in cap space in 2014. (If you want, you can designate him a post-June 1 release, and only take a $3.5m dead in in 2014, with the other $7m hitting in 2015.)

Foster has no trade value. Release him and take a $7.5m dead hit. (As a post-June 1 release, it's a $2.5m dead hit in 2014, and a $5m dead hit in 2015.) Saves $6m in cash, gives you $2m in extra cap space in 2014, and $9m in extra cap space in 2015.

Johnson might have trade value; I think you could get a 5th for him. And whether he's traded or released, his dead hit is less than $1m. Saves $11m on the 2014 cap, $16m on the 2015 cap.

If you move those three, you get a minimum of $17m in cap space in 2014 (maybe more with post-June 1 releases).

Why are you telling me "GG"? Do I run the team or play on it?

He asked me if I was happy or sad over the firings, not over the season. I know, reading comprehension must be hard for you :lol:

Some people are better off keeping "taunts" to themselves, because they aren't very good at putting them into words.

Let me rephrase: 

Our QB's talents fit well in Kubiak's offensive system, which would actually be able to use our personnel do what our head coach would require of any OC (run the ball effectively) while actually taking advantage of our QB's talents.