Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manusky

atapcl

I'd love for Rex Ryan to get fired and be the Colts D-Coordinator but that's not going to happen either

He'd probably get hired as a head coach somewhere else before that happens. Tons of teams needing a change at the head coaching position, especially after seeing what a change in scenery did to Kansas City Chiefs.

The only thing I didn't like was the LB - WR matchups in all man. Besides that, it was just our guys not performing. By the way, antoine bethea has been playing really poorly these past 5 weeks. He's not good at covering but is good at run stopping.

Here's what people don't understand. The colts have been getting ALMOST ZERO pass rush through the middle. This allows for the QB to step up and have almost 3-5 seconds to throw the ball which is the equivalent to an eternity in the NFL for a quarterback. The WR is able to execute a second and sometimes third move that will get him open. Bethea's coverage deep has been lackluster lately at times but its really not all on him.

Here's what people don't understand. The colts have been getting ALMOST ZERO pass rush through the middle. This allows for the QB to step up and have almost 3-5 seconds to throw the ball which is the equivalent to an eternity in the NFL for a quarterback. The WR is able to execute a second and sometimes third move that will get him open. Bethea's coverage deep has been lackluster lately at times but its really not all on him.

but if there is no pass rush why not adjust to zone? the coaching is to blame as well

but if there is no pass rush why not adjust to zone? the coaching is to blame as well

I agree to an extent here.  I don't want to put ALL the blame on the coaches but I think this is a good and fair point.  Frankly I think our man-to-man pass defense was show cased so much in the Denver game that teams figured out how to attack it based on us never coming out of man-to-man defense.  The Texans really attacked it first and then the Rams did it.  Now it's hard to make a big change like that in four days especially if you don't have a lot of zone defenses in your defensive playbooks to start with.  So I can see why they might not have been able to make a change like that for tonight.  However, now they have ten days to work on it.  I'll be disappointed if we don't do something differently against the Cardinals.  Also worth noting we haven't had an INT in three games.  I think just a little zone defense will probably get us one. 

I agree to an extent here.  I don't want to put ALL the blame on the coaches but I think this is a good and fair point.  Frankly I think our man-to-man pass defense was show cased so much in the Denver game that teams figured out how to attack it based on us never coming out of man-to-man defense.  The Texans really attacked it first and then the Rams did it.  Now it's hard to make a big change like that in four days especially if you don't have a lot of zone defenses in your defensive playbooks to start with.  So I can see why they might not have been able to make a change like that for tonight.  However, now they have ten days to work on it.  I'll be disappointed if we don't do something differently against the Cardinals.  Also worth noting we haven't had an INT in three games.  I think just a little zone defense will probably get us one. 

Those are good points but no picks in 3 games can be traced right back to when Toler went down. We miss  him a lot. When he's healthy our defense is a different animal.

Werner looked completely lost. All night. I'm not sure he even knew what his assignments were or if he was supposed to rush the QB or drop back. He had zero tackles and zero impact. 

I will say Vontae played pretty good again though. 

Bethea is starting to worry me in pass coverage. Run blocking he's solid, but he's been getting burnt a lot lately. I think Vaughn has a little to do with that though. 

Why wasn't Chapman playing more? 

Werner looked completely lost. All night. I'm not sure he even knew what his assignments were or if he was supposed to rush the QB or drop back. He had zero tackles and zero impact. 

I will say Vontae played pretty good again though. 

Bethea is starting to worry me in pass coverage. Run blocking he's solid, but he's been getting burnt a lot lately. I think Vaughn has a little to do with that though. 

Why wasn't Chapman playing more? 

Werner played maybe one good game before his injury.  He was just starting to become a 'harassment to the QBs."  He needs more reps, and watch how Walden sets the edge.  Walden is still the only one who does it with regularity.  In fact he did it 'too well' on an inside cut by Johnson.....

Vontae was unspectacular other than one great hit, but he play pretty well.

Bethea looks more than a step slow IMO, and I am sure he has his eyes toward Vaughn quite a bit.  Vaughn was beaten about 4 times last night, but I actually thought he played one of his better games....does he know what a crossing route is? :)

I still wish Chap wore 61 so I could find him better...that 96...cannot tell if it is a 6,8, or 9 on it.  Franklin has not been bad at all, so maybe just getting breather minutes and goal line stuff?

When are we going to start ripping on Freeman for missed tackles and being out of position?  He misses WAYYY too much.  He makes a ton of tackles, but we need to critique who we like too...not just the usual....(I am guilty on Vaughn and the OL)

Thoughts?  Mine is if you disagree you only look at the tackles after the game, not the game itself.

When are we going to start ripping on Freeman for missed tackles and being out of position?  He misses WAYYY too much.  He makes a ton of tackles, but we need to critique who we like too...not just the usual....(I am guilty on Vaughn and the OL)

Thoughts?  Mine is if you disagree you only look at the tackles after the game, not the game itself.

Like  out of them.Your right he has missed a few.Im real big on making sure you get them to the ground,hate seeing any wiffs.

Like  out of them.Your right he has missed a few.Im real big on making sure you get them to the ground,hate seeing any wiffs.

And I love Freeman.  He needs to be on his game more.  I feel he is 'whiffing' way too much.

Kind of like the 'juke'  Andrew put on the Titan CB.  Loved it!! :)

Coach Manusky's play calling scares me. In the prevent defense he had Angerer on the field when it seemed another db would have been better. The secondary seemed confused on how to cover the field.

They were lining up TEs wide. We were in man coverage, so Angerer was just lining up with his man. I don't think having a 5th string CB on a starting TE is a good idea.

I don't know why Angerer is playing over Conner. Conner and Freeman need to be on the field. I think Conner is our best run stopping ILB. IMO at least. Angerer just gets ran over being blocked

I guess he's not our best run stopping ILBer and Angerer does a decent job. You guys are too absolute in your criticisms, there's a lot of grey area when judging a players skill.

I guess he's not our best run stopping ILBer and Angerer does a decent job. You guys are too absolute in your criticisms, there's a lot of grey area when judging a players skill.

Angerer makes his fair share of plays. Then makes the ones where he just gets stone walked like on that CJ run last night. But the whole defense looked like crap early on so hard to blame Angerer.

Angerer makes his fair share of plays. Then makes the ones where he just gets stone walked like on that CJ run last night. But the whole defense looked like crap early on so hard to blame Angerer.

As far as Conner goes, who knows, it could be that Angerer does the best job getting Manusky's plays to the defense and Freeman is just better than Conner. So Conner is out of the starting lineup by default. It could be that simple. Before this season I kinda considered Conner and Angerer more or less equal but 51 was the better signal caller.

As far as Conner goes, who knows, it could be that Angerer does the best job getting Manusky's plays to the defense and Freeman is just better than Conner. So Conner is out of the starting lineup by default. It could be that simple. Before this season I kinda considered Conner and Angerer more or less equal but 51 was the better signal caller.

Yeah you might be right about Angerer being the better play caller and making adjustments. Didn't think of that cause I actually though Freeman was doing that.

Yeah you might be right about Angerer being the better play caller and making adjustments. Didn't think of that cause I actually though Freeman was doing that.

I remember Angerer being injuried last year or before that and the announcers bringing up how it's not that the Colts lost a startIng MLBer but also the signal caller. I think the duties went to Bethea that game.

not sure if that's just coincidence or not..

a lot of people were bashing him before he got injured... now we miss him :)

The only people bashing Toler aren't worth listening to. Toler was playing very well before his injury and our secondary has not been the same since. We were actually getting coverage sacks before he got hurt. Now were getting no pressure at all hardly.

The only people bashing Toler aren't worth listening to. Toler was playing very well before his injury and our secondary has not been the same since. We were actually getting coverage sacks before he got hurt. Now were getting no pressure at all hardly.

Toler was playing better then Vaughn and Toler not being out ther shows but that speaks more to Vaughns suckage more then how good Toler has been, Toler has struggled plenty and has shown not to be a #2 at this point...Vaughn however is in a league all his own to this point...Both are still young and it takes Corners quite a while to develop on average....Side Note: Powers has not been good out in Arizona