Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I don't think we will draft a WR early next year, we will get a free agent

chad72

Werner is gonna prove to be a solid pick! He's showed some promise lately and I like what im seeing.

I like Werner and will give him more time than this to develop, but promise lately? Really? He spent multiple games on the bench with an injured foot, then came back to get eaten up most of the Texans game. Theres a lot of improvement to be done there.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to tell what we do in the draft. We don't have a first or a fourth. I would rather we draft a receiver than sign Maclin or Sanders.

I'd take Decker for sure, but doubt he's available. I don't see any reason the Broncos would let him walk. Worst case, they tag him. I know they have some cap work to do, but they'll make room for him (Champ Bailey is non guaranteed for $10m, Tamme and Dreesen combine for over $7m, and both are behind Julius Thomas now).

Still wish we had drafted Robert Woods.

I jumped up and down begging grigs to draft Keenan Allen. This forum ripped me up

i still think we should have drafted hopkins i think he was still on the board when we were up wasn't he? but instead we took werner..who i'm pretty sure would have still been there in the third or something...man Wayne..hopkins..and hilton would have been nice..oh well *shrugs*

Werner available in the 3rd? No. He slipped after his pro day, but he was still projected as a first rounder by almost everyone.

The way T.Y is playing i think it's more likely that we sign Maclin then drafting a WR. Have to get better in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Maclin isn't injury prone he just had one fluke injury, here's his stats.

2009 15 gp, 56 rec, 773 yards, 4 TD's

2010 16 gp, 70 rec, 964 yards, 10 TD's

2011 13 gp, 63 rec, 859 yards, 5 TD's

2012 15 gp, 69, rec, 857 yards, 7 TD's

Maclin was the Eagles move the chains WR and he put up solid numbers with a washed up Mcnabb and Kevin Kolb as his QB. Maclin plays in the slot but has the size 6,0 200 lbs and speed 4.4  to play on the outside. When Healthy i always thought he was a faster version of  Nicks he just didn't have a good QB. By the time training camp comes it'll be 12 months removed from the injury and i have no doubt he would be healthy by then.

The o-line, d-line, and ILB positions are more of a need then WR imo. Maclin would be better then any WR we can get in the 2nd round and with his ties with Grigson i think it would be a great move to sign him.

I jumped up and down begging grigs to draft Keenan Allen. This forum ripped me up

Sorry,  but there was just no way to draft Allen....

He wasn't worth the 24th pick where we took Werner...

We didn't have a 2nd round pick.

And he was taken in the top 3rd of the 3rd round and we were too low to trade up for him.

It just didn't work out.....   nothing we could do....

Because we don't have our #1 next year and I'd like our #2 and #3 to go to defense in the 2014 draft, I'm with Chad who started this thread.

In fact, I'd like both the need for another WR and the need for another quality OL to both come from Free Agency in 2014.

I don't want to take the chance that the rookie we'd draft would not be ready to play at a high enough level for the team in their first year.     So,  I want a veteran.    A solid veteran on offense.

And I want fresh young blood for defense in the 2014 draft.     Our 2/3 and our 5 all to the defense.....   our next pick (whatever that is, a 6 or 7?)  can be best offensive player available with a preference to grooming a young, but raw OL to help in 2015.

Just my two cents for next year's off-season.....     and it's never too early to talk about Building the Monster.

Guest TeamLoloJones

The way T.Y is playing i think it's more likely that we sign Maclin then drafting a WR. Have to get better in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Maclin isn't injury prone he just had one fluke injury, here's his stats.

2009 15 gp, 56 rec, 773 yards, 4 TD's

2010 16 gp, 70 rec, 964 yards, 10 TD's

2011 13 gp, 63 rec, 859 yards, 5 TD's

2012 15 gp, 69, rec, 857 yards, 7 TD's

Maclin was the Eagles move the chains WR and he put up solid numbers with a washed up Mcnabb and Kevin Kolb as his QB. Maclin plays in the slot but has the size 6,0 200 lbs and speed 4.4  to play on the outside. When Healthy i always thought he was a faster version of  Nicks he just didn't have a good QB. By the time training camp comes it'll be 12 months removed from the injury and i have no doubt he would be healthy by then.

The o-line, d-line, and ILB positions are more of a need then WR imo. Maclin would be better then any WR we can get in the 2nd round and with his ties with Grigson i think it would be a great move to sign him.

I think Maclin was proving to be a far more reliable receiver than Jackson.  If he can come back full strength, I would love to have him.  And because of his injury he won't have a high price.

that's true possibly a top ten pick

He's a big receiver, but I have a feeling he's going to disappoint at the Combine. I'm a firm believer that 40 times don't really equate to being able to get open and make plays, but GM's/coaches tend to hold 40 times against players, and I don't see Mike Evans as being a guy who is going to impress on his 40. However, I could be wrong, and he could be faster than he looks, but I guess we will find out in February.

He sort of reminds me of a slower Michael Floyd.

What is Denver's cap situation? They have to be fairly strapped considering the large contracts given to Manning and Clady, plus you have to think Demaryius Thomas and Von Miller are priority re-signs for them in the next couple years. Decker may well be out of their range. However, I still don't view him as a bonafide future #1.

Remember the cap increases by like 30 million in 2015.  That will give them the money they need to re-sign D Thomas, J Thomas and Von Miller.

They can cut Champ Bailey and free up 10 million.  They can cut Tamme and free up 3 million

Champ has been hurt a lot and not played well in the times he's been available.  Dude looks like he's got nothing left in the tank. 

Tamme hasn't been of that great of use to them this year.  The main reason I believe he was signed was in 2012 they needed someone that understood the Manning offense and probably could help teach it to the rest of the team.  Well the rest of the team get's the Manning offense now, and Thomas is proving to be a star.  So Tamme isn't of much use to them either.

Also the Bronco's right now have about 9 million in dead money on their cap, about half of which is Elvis Dummerville.  They will have cap space from that alone to re-sign Decker.

I just think they will do everything they can to keep this team together while they still have Manning.  

You should look over the Bronco's contracts sometime.  Elway is a great negotiator, he get's guys to sign for very little guaranteed money.  Which means if they arn't useful or playing up to their contract they are easy to cut or trade.  

So that makes up for his 44 receptions and 612 yards? He would be average without Manning.Look at Fauria for the Lions. Dude has 8 receptions 5 of which are TDs. That make him great?

Yes. You're ignoring the fact that Tim Tebow averaged 11 completions a game. Not only that, Decker was a second year player. Reggie Wayne had 49 catches, 716 yards and 4 touchdowns in his second year, and that's with Peyton Manning completing nearly 400 passes.

I've always thought Decker was #1 material, from before he was drafted. He has a drops issue, and maybe he always will, but he's still a young receiver.

He didn't have a first round grade, obviously, with the injury and poor workouts. And I think he has some off field trouble. So if you were clamoring for him in the first round, then yeah, you got some flack. He's looking like a steal right now, though.

I feel we will acquire a free agent WR like Jeremy Maclin, Eric Decker or Emmanuel Sanders in free agency or maybe two of them to put to rest WR depth issues, IMO.

I do not think we will draft a WR early next year. I still expect us to bolster our OL and pass rush.

Thoughts???

I agree, i have saying that. I think we will go for any of those 2 like you said, Maclin and Decker.

Im liking the Maclin idea more and more. Sign him to a DHB style one year tryout deal and see if he takes it. Eagles sbould be rebuilding the entire roster next year in Chip Kelly's image anyways.

I dont think he would come for a 1 year deal. There  will be people claiming his services. IMO he is a younger Reggie wayne and a solid #1

I dont think he would come for a 1 year deal. There  will be people claiming his services. IMO he is a younger Reggie wayne and a solid #1

I think he has a mile to go in his route running before he belongs in the same sentence as Reggie Wayne. Maclin has excellent speed and pretty good hands and body control, but he's only a decent route runner. Better than Desean Jackson, but has a lot of work to do. Plus, he's coming off a serious knee injury.

I'm not too concerned about his knee, given how well players are coming back these days. But I don't think he gives our offense the added dimension it needs. He'd be better than DHB, and so long as Reggie comes back ready, that would be a strong trio. But I would really prefer either a better route runner or a bigger guy. 

I think he has a mile to go in his route running before he belongs in the same sentence as Reggie Wayne. Maclin has excellent speed and pretty good hands and body control, but he's only a decent route runner. Better than Desean Jackson, but has a lot of work to do. Plus, he's coming off a serious knee injury.

I'm not too concerned about his knee, given how well players are coming back these days. But I don't think he gives our offense the added dimension it needs. He'd be better than DHB, and so long as Reggie comes back ready, that would be a strong trio. But I would really prefer either a better route runner or a bigger guy.

Make a run at Hakeem Nicks in FA?

yea i dont think i expressed my self right...i dont think he is Reggie wayne, no way. I think he is a younger version with similar skills to Reggie.

I do think he is a good route runner tough. not excelent but more than just ok

I feel we will acquire a free agent WR like Jeremy Maclin, Eric Decker or Emmanuel Sanders in free agency or maybe two of them to put to rest WR depth issues, IMO.

I do not think we will draft a WR early next year. I still expect us to bolster our OL and pass rush.

Thoughts???

Starting with TY, Allen, FleenR, Doyle, & (Reggie by mid-season) we are already strong.

It is all about route running, timing and hands.

Brazzil & Whalen Could be really good in our system with Rogers potentially a stud.

I see no need to add any WR to next years roster, at this time

Hopefully a really good young Veteran FA Center wants to block for Andrew. :goodluck:  

Our backups Mathews, Moala, and Link have NO Potential as starters so should be targets in the draft. IMO 

Make a run at Hakeem Nicks in FA?

I prefer Nicks to Maclin, personally. I almost always prefer the more technical route runner, and his slightly bigger frame helps as well. But I think Nicks will be prohibitively expensive. And he has the bumps and bruises that kind of turn you off from spending big money on a player, because he'll only be there 80% of the time, and he's almost never completely healthy.

Starting with TY, Allen, FleenR, Doyle, & (Reggie by mid-season) we are already strong.

It is all about route running, timing and hands.

Brazzil & Whalen Could be really good in our system with Rogers potentially a stud.

I see no need to add any WR to next years roster, at this time

Hopefully a really good young Veteran FA Center wants to block for Andrew. :goodluck:  

Our backups Mathews, Moala, and Link have NO Potential as starters so should be targets in the draft. IMO 

Strongly disagree. Set aside the other positions of need. Grigson will address those, no question. Has nothing to do with whether we add another receiver.

Right now, we have two good receivers, Reggie and TY. That's it. DHB isn't good enough to be counted on, unfortunately. Brazill is raw and still an unknown, and while I like his tools, he has no production to speak of. The next eight games might change that, but I'm not holding my breath waiting on him to suddenly perform like a reliable receiver at this point. Whalen I like better than Brazill, but he doesn't have the athleticism to really round out our receiving corps. I wouldn't want him as our #3.

And that's the problem -- we don't have a #3 receiver next year. Which is why I think we'll need to add someone better than DHB, Brazill and Whalen. Getting Allen and Ballard back will help our offense tremendously, and maybe Allen and Fleener will carry that #3 load. But I really don't think we have a well rounded receiving corps going into next year.

Strongly disagree. Set aside the other positions of need. Grigson will address those, no question. Has nothing to do with whether we add another receiver.

Right now, we have two good receivers, Reggie and TY. That's it. DHB isn't good enough to be counted on, unfortunately. Brazill is raw and still an unknown, and while I like his tools, he has no production to speak of. The next eight games might change that, but I'm not holding my breath waiting on him to suddenly perform like a reliable receiver at this point. Whalen I like better than Brazill, but he doesn't have the athleticism to really round out our receiving corps. I wouldn't want him as our #3.

And that's the problem -- we don't have a #3 receiver next year. Which is why I think we'll need to add someone better than DHB, Brazill and Whalen. Getting Allen and Ballard back will help our offense tremendously, and maybe Allen and Fleener will carry that #3 load. But I really don't think we have a well rounded receiving corps going into next year.

And next year is just the tip of the iceberg. Reggie isnt getting any younger. Who do we have at wideout to compliment TY when he retires? The answer is nobody really. Its a bad situation.

Guest TeamLoloJones

We need a top-10 pick to get Evans. Best receiver to come out of the draft since AJ Green.

You may be right...I was just saying without a pick in the top 30 there is zero chance of getting Evans.  I would still take Marqise Lee and Sammy Watkins to be honest, and probably Jordan Matthews, but Evans will be a great one as well.

He's a big receiver, but I have a feeling he's going to disappoint at the Combine. I'm a firm believer that 40 times don't really equate to being able to get open and make plays, but GM's/coaches tend to hold 40 times against players, and I don't see Mike Evans as being a guy who is going to impress on his 40. However, I could be wrong, and he could be faster than he looks, but I guess we will find out in February.

He sort of reminds me of a slower Michael Floyd.

I gave him the same comparison but I disagree about the speed when he played Bama dude was getting tons of separation he had speed and hands his problem may be consistency but I believe he will be world's better than Floyd

I think DHB walks after his one-year contract (unless he somehow steps up his game the second half of the season. Then Da'Rick Rogers (with simalr skill set and measurables) takes overDHB's role while keeping TY and Brazill in their current roles.

Reggie Wayne's health will probably determine what the FO does in free agency, honestly.  The luxory of getting injured during the first half of the season helps Grigson know what kind of health Reggie is in prior to free agency and the draft thus letting him decide if its worth signing someone versus drafting a 'replacement'.

Just my .02!

In case anyone is interested, this is from KFFL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eagles | Jeremy Maclin ahead of schedule
Sat, 26 Oct 2013

Philadelphia Eagles WR Jeremy Maclin (knee) said he is ahead of schedule in his rehabilitation from a season ending knee injury. Maclin said he is frustrated about missing the year, and head coach Chip Kelly's offense. "Just knowing the type of success I could have had in this offense and the extra quality I could have brought to this team - that's the most frustrating part," Maclin said. "I'm one of the guys that can move around and be put in different spots. The fact that I played inside in college and have the quickness to play there and I've got the size and speed to play outside."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And this older report:

-----------------

Updating a previous report, Philadelphia Eagles WR Jeremy Maclin's (knee) MRI did not show a tear of his medial collateral ligament in addition to his torn anterior cruciate ligament.

------------------

I don't know if Grigson will put on a push to get Maclin, but he certainly knows him and had a hand in drafting him...called him the best WR in that draft class.

I gave him the same comparison but I disagree about the speed when he played Bama dude was getting tons of separation he had speed and hands his problem may be consistency but I believe he will be world's better than Floyd

As a #2, Floyd has 32 catches for 446 (13.9 per catch) at the halfway point of the season. 

Not too bad for a still young #2 receiver. You must have a ton of confidence in this kid!