Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Martin

Jonathan Martin  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want Jonathan Martin as a Colt?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

Where would he play? Castonzo is the left tackle and Martin has proven incapable of playing that position anyways. Cherilus was just signed this offseason and is unlikely to lose his spot. Would you keep his as just a backup? There are a bunch of other players that might find there way to the block that I would rather have. Justin Blackmon, Josh Gordon, possibly Morris Claiborne, I'd rather have David DeCastro than Martin.

I don't think he can play guard....

And I'm not sure he can start in the NFL....    at least not under the current coaching staff at Miami....

So....   if he was released, I think he'd be a competent back-up for the Colts.    But I don't see him beating out either of our two starting tackles.

I don't think he can play guard....

And I'm not sure he can start in the NFL....    at least not under the current coaching staff at Miami....

So....   if he was released, I think he'd be a competent back-up for the Colts.    But I don't see him beating out either of our two starting tackles.

Well, he started 16 games for Miami last year, and 7 this year according to NFL.com, so he can start in the NFL.

He's done in Miami, that's for sure

Well, he started 16 games for Miami last year, and 7 this year according to NFL.com, so he can start in the NFL.

He's done in Miami, that's for sure

When I said he can't start that was my view going forward.   I think his 23 starts haven't shown much.   He maybe showing that he's more of a back-up than he is a starter.    I'm not saying this with any certainty.    He might play to his potential on another team with another coaching staff.    That would not surprise me at all.

He just hasn't shown as much as many thought he would in his first year and a half...    that was my point,  if not clearly stated...

Hope that clarifies...

No, he's not very good and there is no place for him. As far as him playing guard, well NO! I love how people always think any lineman can just play any position along the line and be good at it. It doesn't work that way outside of Fantasyland where, by the way, I think many on this forum live most of the time. Look at the difference in McGlynn playing guard and center, He's terrible at guard but is decent at center. The difference is who he's lining up against on the d-line. 

I think he'd be useful for depth at OT since we are one OT injury away from a giant Andrew Luck sack party.  If you think Andrew Luck needs better protection now, I would hate to see what would happen if Costanzo or Cherilus went down.  

But from what I know I don't see him as a starter here.  

Based on what I'm seeing now after this year is over and teams can start making trades again, Grigs should call the Dolphins and offer them a 7th for Martin.  

There is no way Martin could ever return to the Dolphins at this point.  His lawyers statement has turned this from a Martin/Incognito issue to an issue with the entire Dolphins locker room.  The best option for the Dolphins is now to trade him away, because he's not returning to Miami.  

He'd just be a backup here but he'd be a heck of a lot better backup then we currently have at OT.  And given that Luck, Fleener, Whalen and Hamilton are here, if Martin was willing to resume playing anywhere it would be in Indy.

I voted NO       I don't like the cut & run type , Be a man stand up for your self ,

In principle, yes. But sometimes that's just not a realistic option. Some have suggested that he should have punched Incognito in the mouth - And what would have happened if he did just that? What if Incognito had won that fight? What would the outcome have been if he had injured Incognito? How would the coaches/GM have reacted to two linemen physically fighting each other?

It's just to trivial to say "Stand up for yourself", when it's obviously much more complex.

Martin is probably a quiet type of guy, possibly introvert, where Incognito is your typical alpha male bully who thinks that you "toughen up" be being shoved around and having insults hurled at you at any moment. That's an odd way to build teamspirit and teamwork. You would think that making the rookie know that you have his back, as long as he works his butt off, would be more beneficial to the team as well as the individuals.

All the nonsense about a locker room being something completely different than the outside world is just that - nonsense.

Intimidating, degrading, threatening, insulting, bullying and/or yelling at people never made anyone better at anything or more motivated. Not in sports or any other area of life.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24204029/former-incognito-teammate-he-was-immature-unrealistic-scumbag

How anyone, assigned to any form of leadership role, would be fine with anything remotely similar to something like this, is completely beyond me. Hitting a guy in the face with a sock filled with coins? That'll surely make him "tougher" and make him better at his job.. What a bizarre point of view.

If anyone in a leadership position would be fine with that, he's not fit to be in that position.

When I said he can't start that was my view going forward.   I think his 23 starts haven't shown much.   He maybe showing that he's more of a back-up than he is a starter.    I'm not saying this with any certainty.    He might play to his potential on another team with another coaching staff.    That would not surprise me at all.

He just hasn't shown as much as many thought he would in his first year and a half...    that was my point,  if not clearly stated...

Hope that clarifies...

your first post was clear enough for 99% of people.  some people just make you spell it out like they are a 2nd grader and they are just incapable of reading between the lines...

In principle, yes. But sometimes that's just not a realistic option. Some have suggested that he should have punched Incognito in the mouth - And what would have happened if he did just that? What if Incognito had won that fight? What would the outcome have been if he had injured Incognito? How would the coaches/GM have reacted to two linemen physically fighting each other?

It's just to trivial to say "Stand up for yourself", when it's obviously much more complex.

Martin is probably a quiet type of guy, possibly introvert, where Incognito is your typical alpha male bully who thinks that you "toughen up" be being shoved around and having insults hurled at you at any moment. That's an odd way to build teamspirit and teamwork. You would think that making the rookie know that you have his back, as long as he works his butt off, would be more beneficial to the team as well as the individuals.

All the nonsense about a locker room being something completely different than the outside world is just that - nonsense.

Intimidating, degrading, threatening, insulting, bullying and/or yelling at people never made anyone better at anything or more motivated. Not in sports or any other area of life.

He did'nt need to fight he needed to speak up instead of running . People my self included hear things we don't like & if we don't speak up its on us . In my world men are men everyone deals with it as a adult at some point or another .

Running home to mommy & daddy says it all in my book I have no respect for anyone like that .  Be a man big boy ..

He did'nt need to fight he needed to speak up instead of running . People my self included hear things we don't like & if we don't speak up its on us . In my world men are men everyone deals with it as a adult at some point or another .

Running home to mommy & daddy says it all in my book I have no respect for anyone like that . Be a man big boy ..

And what happens if the "man" Martin fights back, then he will look bad for fighting back not only in front of the dolphin players ( which most of them seem to be against him anway) but Incognito is the kind of D**k who will use the fact Martin had tried to fight back to bully him back.sometimes its hard to fight back when you have to fight back against everyone in the organisation. This wouldn't happen to Martin here for 2 reasons: 1. Its seems there is no real Incognito and 2. Martin would have the support of many, be it the Stanford crew, the veterans of the team or even Chuck himself ( who looks like he wouldn't allow bullying)

Martin either got out when he could ot carry on with everything and have something occur later on with things a lot worse.

Running home to mommy & daddy says it all in my book I have no respect for anyone like that . Be a man big boy ..

He checked himself into hospital because of emotional stress. Hardly "running home to mommy and daddy"

Running home to mommy & daddy says it all in my book I have no respect for anyone like that .  Be a man big boy ..

Yea, he should of just knocked his teeth down his throat!!!! He would of never saw it coming. 

Being a man is simply being an adult male, it's that simple. Neither you nor I dictate or determine what being a man is to each individual.

I don't want to get too political, but people have become so conditioned to the status quo of PC in the U.S. nowadays, people have no ability to think outside the box whenever something is unpleasant to their senses.

Take for example NFL locker rooms and U.S. prisons - not a place for a princess to be, but if you've lived in Iraq, Vietnam, or Mexico, we'd be more than happy to live in a U.S. prison compared to the former.

We can all say that cussing at work (like Incognito did) is unprofessional, but I wouldn't sympathize with Martin too much.

Being yelled, cussed at, or hazed is a joke compared with the trials and tribulations of most people around the world. He's already in a much better situation (not just financially) than most ordinary Joes can dream about in a lifetime. Unlike the latter, being a NFL player (regardless of salary), he can call a lawyer anytime, call the press anytime, leave his job anytime he wants and expect others to sympathize with him, where if a janitor or mechanic leaves his job, it'd be a different story.

Being a man is simply being an adult male, it's that simple. Neither you nor I dictate or determine what being a man is to each individual.

A man will bring what ever it takes including bringing  a louisville slugger to the party , At the end of the day it would be over :thmup: 

maybe a lil bail money & a lawyer no biggie .

Theres men & women pal  - black & white dealing with the same issues daily who face there problems head on . 

Being a man means you keep your head up & speak your mind regardless of the consequences as a Californian from East L.A  growing up white was'nt easy watts compton E.L.A  it don't matter I may not of won all my battles but the other person learned that I was no punk . Whether you get beat up or talked badly too you have to stick up for your self period ..

Man or Woman ...

And what happens if the "man" Martin fights back, then he will look bad for fighting back not only in front of the dolphin players ( which most of them seem to be against him anway) but Incognito is the kind of D**k who will use the fact Martin had tried to fight back to bully him back.sometimes its hard to fight back when you have to fight back against everyone in the organisation. This wouldn't happen to Martin here for 2 reasons: 1. Its seems there is no real Incognito and 2. Martin would have the support of many, be it the Stanford crew, the veterans of the team or even Chuck himself ( who looks like he wouldn't allow bullying)

Martin either got out when he could ot carry on with everything and have something occur later on with things a lot worse.

I don't know what world some here live in as a construction worker who went thru the bricklayers apprenticeship i realize people will say things and test you to see what kind of man you are . The journey men will except you based on your actions & work why should they help train you & teach you if you need a hug everytime a big burly man talks to you  ?  ,

The players on a football team IMO are similar they expect those on there team to pay there dues just like they did as rookies or apprentices , If your unwilling to stand up for your self there are remedies BUT if you speak it better be in house this dude acted like a coward by leaving the team .He has cut his career shorter than it might of otherwise have been & has become a distraction .

Only Stanford players college teammates will come to his defense based on college performances & friendships  - In the pro's he's proved he's the poster child for sensitivity training but he's never gonna be known as a tough o'lineman & IMO will never play as a starter again .

279242-156818-baby-huey.jpgMental breakdown  has been reported not proven until it has we only have our opinions . Lots of people check into hospitals for various reasons is he under a doctors care now ?  If so for what ?

What are you talking about? That's exactly why he went to the hospital. 

What are you talking about? That's exactly why he went to the hospital. 

EXACTLY   but what did it prove ?  

Martin's hospital stay was brief before he returned to California with his parents, according to sources.

That anyone can check in ?  Not that he really had a breakdown just that he claimed too in a brief stay .