Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We are what many of us feared

antipatriot

I know this has been beat to death but the truth is we have one of the best QB's in the league and some very good receivers.  We dont need to run the ball for the sake of running it or to prove some point.  We already have an ultra conservative head coach ( who I like very much ) he is a defensive guy it is in his nature.  However our offense should at least in my opinion should take more advantage of our strengths.  Dont get me wrong I like that fact that we are running the ball but we are extremely predictable which as the season goes on makes us easier to defend.  Anyway it is disappointing for me to watch us lose games like last night when we have a QB like Luck who can do so much more than "manage" a running game.

Hopefully we will open it up a little I dont think we need to be 90% pass but we need to take advantage of what we have.

Rant over now looking forward to what will be a very emotional game for me, my favourite player of all time playing against my favourite team.  I will cheer the Colts of course but I certainly will appreciate what we are going to see.

GO COLTS

The direction is coming from the owner. Even yesterday in an interview he said he wants to build a team which has a good defense and a run game.

Ironic part is not sure why he drafted Andrew Luck for that. Trent Dilfer type QB would have been good enough.

He will learn it soon.

Doesn't it always seem like in pressure/hurry up situations we move the ball better?  I would like to see us pick up the pace throughout the entire game.

Part of that is because that usually happens towards the end of a half or the end of the game and team's play soft coverage to prevent a long score.

I think it would have helped us (our D) if we had let Luck run more no-huddle. The 3? I think we ran seemed to have the bolts reeling until we eventually stopped ourselves. I don't think our "balanced" attack has to be achieved throughout the whole game. We need to aquire a lead and then ground and pound. Richardson/Brown can close out a game ( we've seen it) but we need that lead first if it takes 20 passes and 5 runs to get it so be it. By the end of the game it would be 30 pass/27 run , maybe? Balanced in the end but w their D back peddling not ours. I am not the coach just a passionate fan. I try not to rant but sometimes its just disappointing watching us not play the way we are capable of Go Colts!!

The direction is coming from the owner. Even yesterday in an interview he said he wants to build a team which has a good defense and a run game.

Ironic part is not sure why he drafted Andrew Luck for that. Trent Dilfer type QB would have been good enough.

He will learn it soon.

LOL, a run game and good defense????? That is what is killing us.... inconsistent running and no pressure defense... why not play to our strength instead of insisting on something we aren't ready for or don't have right now....

Thank you, OC...

Running the ball wityh power is great..especially on the road..

But its just not what we do well at this point..

I expect that Pep and chuck will see that and I hope they are flexible and not stubborn

But they are only echoing the owner

...and the clue is: we are great in the no-huddle, 3 WR mode....Andrew is made or it

We need to do what we do....not what somebody else does

You also have to take into account that we dropped countless balls and if those catches are made its a completely different ball game.  It's easy to look at the runs and say dang should have passed it there but those dropped balls were key in us not converting on 3rd down and not gaining the yards we needed to win this game.

Uhhh, we're 4-2, with two HUGE wins over NFC powerhouses. The AFC South champs will be the Colts. Questioning playcalls just because we lost isn't necessary or valid. Every target Luck threw to last night had a drop with a wide open field to run, so the playcalling was fine, just a total lack of execution. The defense was giving up huge time consuming drives, which made it very difficult for the offense to get into a rhythm.

We as fans have to remember, this is Pep's first year as an NFL OC, so there will be growing pains. The pieces are there, he just needs to get a better grasp as to how he should use them, which will take a little time.

So before we start calling for coach's heads, we should realize that at least we're not the Giants or the Jaguars. With all the moaning and groaning I'm hearing today, you'd think we were 0-6.

I will make one criticism about Pep though, that stupid play where Luck rolls out to his left and tries to throw it needs to be pulled from the playbook immediately. The guy's right-handed, rolling out to his left on a passing play is just silly and awkward, and it doesn't work.

What is it that we want?

Last year we complained because Luck was constantly throwing the ball, leading to him taking a beating, 41 sacks and numerous hits. His completion percentage was in the mid 50's and he threw 18 picks, which easily could have been more. We wanted more roll-outs, check downs to the RBs, and a better run game.

This year, we have all of that. His completion percentage is up. We have a better run game, (didn't show up last night), and we're asking for Luck to roll-out and make easy throws, as well as take shots downfield-- TY twice last week, DHB last night, etc...

When we don't play well as a TEAM, we lose. It's not on the play calling. We had 6 drops that killed any chance of sustaining a drive.

Remember how Chuck said that the 49ers game was one that 5-6 years down the road, we'd all look back on and say "that's where it all started"? We aren't going to win 5 straight years worth of games. There will be bumps along the way.... and one of the most satisfying (or painful) things about last night's loss is that we can look back and see silly errors and mistakes that we made that San Diego simply capitalized on. Everything about last night was correctable. The fact that all 3 facets made mistakes meant that one side couldn't bail the other two out last night. We will correct it all. I have a good feeling about the Denver game. To be honest, I feel better about Denver than I did San Diego.

I think people are upset because many people predicted we would be 4-2 after 6 games with losses to Seattle and the 49ers, not the Dolphins and Chargers but we're still on schedule.

I think the bigger frustration is that the so-called schedule had us only winning 9 or at most 10 games. We at least want to match what we did last year, and with the loss last night it's going to be a lot harder to do that.

I think the bigger frustration is that the so-called schedule had us only winning 9 or at most 10 games. We at least want to match what we did last year, and with the loss last night it's going to be a lot harder to do that.

Hopefully we only need to win 10 to grab the division this year.

I think the problem here is that there are no silver linings to this game. The Colts got beat down like a red-headed step-child. Luck didn't shine on his own, the defense couldn't get off the field, the sure-handed receivers looked like they were trying to catch with their feet... Richardson had a few impressive runs, but overall, the team skidded across that field like fresh piece of poo.

However, one bad game does not make them Tampa Bay or Jacksonville. It makes them 44 guys having a real bad day. It's just time to re-evaluate things.

Thank you, OC...

Running the ball wityh power is great..especially on the road..

But its just not what we do well at this point..

I expect that Pep and chuck will see that and I hope they are flexible and not stubborn

But they are only echoing the owner

...and the clue is: we are great in the no-huddle, 3 WR mode....Andrew is made or it

We need to do what we do....not what somebody else does

Pep is going to run HIS offense and HIS plays regardless of the personnel he has.

...and he is definitely NOT up to speed with NFL play calling or other good NFL co-ordinators who fit the plays to the personnel they have.

...he is just an amateur learning the ropes in the NFL...

Uhhh, we're 4-2, with two HUGE wins over NFC powerhouses. The AFC South champs will be the Colts. Questioning playcalls just because we lost isn't necessary or valid. Every target Luck threw to last night had a drop with a wide open field to run, so the playcalling was fine, just a total lack of execution. The defense was giving up huge time consuming drives, which made it very difficult for the offense to get into a rhythm.

We as fans have to remember, this is Pep's first year as an NFL OC, so there will be growing pains. The pieces are there, he just needs to get a better grasp as to how he should use them, which will take a little time.

So before we start calling for coach's heads, we should realize that at least we're not the Giants or the Jaguars. With all the moaning and groaning I'm hearing today, you'd think we were 0-6.

I will make one criticism about Pep though, that stupid play where Luck rolls out to his left and tries to throw it needs to be pulled from the playbook immediately. The guy's right-handed, rolling out to his left on a passing play is just silly and awkward, and it doesn't work.

That hilton throw had 0 chance for a first down, and the reggie 3rd down had no catch and run oppurtunity. 

The one thing that needs to be taken into account is injuries. I feel some of the play calling is designed to figure out where guys are with the power schemes. The hurry up works, but you can't drop balls in the scenario. In truth, I think last night was testing the water still. 

The other big reason The Colts could get over the hump yesterday was no big plays from the defense or special teams. We shouldn't count on that as the spark for the team to roll, but it's been a major factor in many of the wins this year.

They need to give Luck more control of the offense, he was not pleased with how the game was managed and it was obvious at his post game presser. Imo the coaches are holding him back.

No one can claim to know he was upset with the management of the game, it could've been the number of drops as far as anyone knows. Gotta remember this is the kind of gameplan he's used to. Frustrating game was frustrating.

No one can claim to know he was upset with the management of the game, it could've been the number of drops as far as anyone knows. Gotta remember this is the kind of gameplan he's used to. Frustrating game was frustrating.

Don't forget that he ran B.A.'s offense last season, and did it more than adequately.

I do agree that we don't know what in particular frustrates him most about the game, but he is used to and capable of more than Pep's gameplan.

He will learn it soon.

Why wouldn't Irsay want a similar type of O that No.18 ran the past decade +. If any 2nd year QB is capable of this it's Luck. Also EVERY Trich run is a POWER run, dude is a train and hard as heck to bring down just needs some room to run. So there's your power running game, doesn't have to be out of the power formation/15 O lineman :yay:  **PLUS build a great pass rush/run D. Colts have some pieces in place here but imo still needs some work. **PLUS build a better O line to run the ball more effectively. We all know what spots need upgraded here but there are some players to build around. Running more out of 3 wr sets will help as well to keep the opposing D off balance imo. Some of our key pieces are in place now on low salaries especially on the offensive/play maker side of the ball so there is something there to build on and $$$ there to do it! I don't mean go sign all high priced players, never been a fan of that. I like the way Grigs approaches 99% of his free agency spending. Not meant to bash Irsay at all as I love having him as the owner of the Colts, some tweets aside :)  GO COLTS

We are not what we thought we were lol, the team is still finding itself.  I would like to see Luck do a little more, but the running game was working when Bradshaw, Richardson, and holy cow D Brown was in there, no Bradshaw, no D Allen, its a different team and still in transition.    

The defense was close a couple times last night, for anyone saying this defense is as bad as the PM years... give me a break.   Not even close, I know everyone is still mad about last night, but no need to exaggerate the problem.   P Rivers has been having a good year, we did not lose to a bad team.   

Young team, injury issues... and we was in the game all the way to pretty much the end.  Good to have a chip on our shoulder heading into the Denver game,  a couple more conversions on 3rd down, and run the ball like they have.   long sustained drives and a chip on the shoulder could lead to good things this week.

There is an obvious solution to a better run game which will open up the passing game. The 2 games Satele missed and McGlynn played center with Link at RG, the offense was much better. since Satele has came back they have struggled running the ball. It's not a coincidence. Satele is a huge problem, McGlynn is a much better center. For the love of God, I wish the coaches would finally see this and make the move permanent.

I know this has been beat to death but the truth is we have one of the best QB's in the league and some very good receivers.  We dont need to run the ball for the sake of running it or to prove some point.  We already have an ultra conservative head coach ( who I like very much ) he is a defensive guy it is in his nature.  However our offense should at least in my opinion should take more advantage of our strengths.  Dont get me wrong I like that fact that we are running the ball but we are extremely predictable which as the season goes on makes us easier to defend.  Anyway it is disappointing for me to watch us lose games like last night when we have a QB like Luck who can do so much more than "manage" a running game.

Hopefully we will open it up a little I dont think we need to be 90% pass but we need to take advantage of what we have.

Rant over now looking forward to what will be a very emotional game for me, my favourite player of all time playing against my favourite team.  I will cheer the Colts of course but I certainly will appreciate what we are going to see.

GO COLTS

Ironically,Stanford probably also underutilized Luck's talent, but Stanford had so many quality O-linemen and good running backs, a balanced attack probably made some sense -- and they were able to win almost every game. Yet as one who lives out West and watched most Stanford games, I recall many times wondering how much better Stanford would have been if the offense had been tilted heavily in favor of the passing game. Perhaps they even would have won a national championship. But this isn't Stanford and the Colts have one obvious superior strength on offense just as we did when PM was here -- a great passer.

I don't like the play calling, not just Monday but in a lot of the games we won. I don't understand how people can defend this OC. It is one thing to commit to running, but run out of different sets. The whole power formation they run is a disaster, it is never effective and we average less than 3 yards a carry in it (I'm guessing, no accurate numbers). And then Richardson gets the blame for low YPC, but we set him up to fail. We don't have a line that is built to run down your throat when they know its coming.

This team can commit to the run all they want, I'm all for it because you need to run to win championships. But for gods sake do it from your position of power, Misdirection and stretches suit this team so much better. These are the sets that D Brown runs from,and the D doesnt see it coming is why it is effective. Or maybe I'm wrong and Donald Brown is a 7.8 YPC back, but I highly doubt it.

This power formation is handcuffing the offense, the D's know whats coming and they sell out on it. FB is a dead position in the NFL for a reason, you put more skill on the field and make them pull guys out of the box. I like Havili but he should be short yardage or goal line only. Spread out the D and please use some more PA. Richardson would be so much better in these situations I bet anything!

GO COLTS

YES! YES! YES! 

GO COLTS

All we need to do is run the plays that best suit our personnel...especially a healthy dose of 3WR sets.