Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on DHB so far

sreylas937

i am not ignoring that. my point is, dhb has not been great. HOUSE saying he is great has really low expectations of what the word great means

Fixed.

You can talk to me if you have a problem with something I said. Everyone disagrees about stuff I have zero issues if you dislike my assessment. I don't take that stuff personally :)

Though I did get something like 10 "Likes" for the post saying he's been great for us, so I assume that means I'm far from the only one.

That or all those posters just find my writing style aesthetically pleasing.........

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fixed.

You can talk to me if you have a problem with something I said. Everyone disagrees about stuff I have zero issues if you dislike my assessment. I don't take that stuff personally :)

Though I did get something like 10 "Likes" for the post saying he's been great for us, so I assume that means I'm far from the only one.

That or all those posters just find my writing style aesthetically pleasing.........

there are a lot of posters here that think griff whalen is amazing

so take that for what it is worth

i am not ignoring that. my point is, dhb has not been great. anyone saying he is great has really low expectations of what the word great means

He was pretty great in the San Fran game. Everyone is going to get their turn. Only ine ball to go around and this isn't the old manning Colts. Sorry to burst your bubble.

i am not ignoring that.  my point is, dhb has not been great.  anyone saying he is great has really low expectations of what the word great means

We don't need the best of the best at every position, DHB fills his role very well and is much improved from His Oakland years.

The season is still going & I think DHB is still finding his way. Every week it seems to be a different receiver who gets the majority of the looks. I think DHD is still building chemistry with Luck, & Wayne and Hilton get there looks. I expect him to have a big game soon, honestly could be this week! I was disappointed by his drop last week though. He does have speed & size that the opponents must account for though. I think that is an ability that he has that doesn't show up on any stat sheet! To me jury still out.

As soon as he learns how to run routes then you will see him get open and his numbers will go up, until then just put a 70 on his jersey and introduce him as our knewest O lineman, some people are really trying to hard to oversell him blocking, Hines Ward was a superior blocker at wr then he is....superior pass catcher to, you can be both. He needs to be introduced to the end zone a few times But for his size and athletic ability and speed you should be getting more out of him. Its not Pep holding him back, whats he supposed to do? run a go route every single time Luck wants to get him the ball? sure ya wanna see him run a few more go routes but if thats all he can run well then thats not on Pep, Thats on DHB for not being able to do that and also Grigson for not picking up that he cant do that.....I believe he can for the record........But at some point you have to actually show you can.....oh well 5 weeks in

• 4 weeks later...

You can have the greatest work ethnic of anyone, Practice endless of hours on the ball machine.... 

To be honest I was hoping he would prove me wrong, Nothing taste better then a great win is some crow...

But i believe it is safe to say He couldn't catch a cold in  a freezer.

Your ignoring he's only dropped 1 or 2 passes. so why doesn't he get huge stats? Well then the only other reason is because he's not targeted that much and our offense doesn't pass the ball as much. The other issue is you probably take stats too literally, this isn't baseball, the stats only tell half the story in football.

Here's my biggest concern with Griff that I've been observing each time he plays.  Kids got reliable hands, but almost each time he is targeted he has someone glued to his backside primarily it seems because he lacks speed.  Not only does he lack speed, but he is not experienced enough at this point in his early career to learn how to use body positioning and other things to create space enough to increase his receptions like some of the other NFL receivers from the past who were not very fast. I don't know if he will learn or not, only time will give us that answer.

"Griff Whalen grabbed just three of the nine passes thrown to him. But to Whalen’s credit, he did make a 17-yard reception on the Colts’ game-winning drive in the fourth quarter. Tight end Coby Fleener had three receptions for 64 yards and made a nice catch on their two-point conversion. http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth"

9 targets and only 3 catches in the Houston game.  Almost each target I saw during the game there was a cornerback running stride for stride with Griff and he could not half way gain an inch.  That's my real issue, and I'll give it some time to see if my feelings are wrong.  I will continue to say I like Rogers better as a prospect and my feelings are assumptions for right now until they call him up and we see some real live game action.  My feelings are the guy with the bigger body who is used to working in the slot through the traffic, known for having good hands(Of course that was in college) has a greater chance of out muscling people for catches even when the person who is defending him is faster.  I still also maintain that Rogers is faster than Whalen, but I only have college to go off of at this point and some small things I saw in the pre season.  Once again these are my assumptions, although I must say I feel very strong that my assumptions will be true.  Hopefully I will get to find out soon!

Ok so as of last week DHB had 4 drops with 18 catches and 22 catchable.  He will probably get credited with 1, maybe two more.  He had 6 targets and 1 catch.  I dont remember exactly but we'll say 2 were catchable.  puts him at 6/25 with a 24% drop rate.  All guestimation til they update their stats

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/10/30/signature-stats-drop-rate/

Ok so as of last week DHB had 4 drops with 18 catches and 22 catchable. He will probably get credited with 1, maybe two more. He had 6 targets and 1 catch. I dont remember exactly but we'll say 2 were catchable. puts him at 6/25 with a 24% drop rate. All guestimation til they update their stats

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/10/30/signature-stats-drop-rate/

he is horrible

I am over him. I wanted him brought in but I've soured on him. He seems to spend more time trying to avoid contact and calling for a flag from the refs then he does just focusing on catch the ball. I think he has gotten by on his speed most of his life and may not work as hard as he should. Maybe he will be a huge player for us over the next 8 games but based on what I have seen in the first 8 I wouldn't count on it.

Why are people getting so angry towards him lol. I really don't understand the vitriol.

Am I happy with his contributions? Of course not. But it's not like he's sinking the team. It was a gamble. It didn't pay out. Not that big of a deal in the long run.

Nothin much to say about it that has not been said countless times...He is who we thought he was, It was a harmless gamble on Grigsons part to bring him in as a FA but in all honesty you could likely get more production out of Da'Rick Rodgers at this point with better hands.

DHB was signing autographs at the Circle Centre Mall in downtown Indy yesterday.  I walked down with a buddy and, as we were standing in line, we noticed that DHB was taking the time to hold babies and pose for pictures with them.  I thought that seemed nice and sarcastically said to my buddy (who is always hating on Bey's hands) "See, he's not dropping those babies."  To which he quickly replied, "Try throwing one at him!" 

I think the guy is great at being a team player!  I wish he would catch the passes that he's supposed to catch but there is sooo much more to his game than simply catching the ball.  He set up a score against Houston by drawing that pass interference penalty on a pass he really should have caught.  Believe it or not, defensive backs do respect his speed.  In addition, he is a very capable and willing blocker in the run game.  If he could fix his focus and hands, he would be a beast!  Honestly, I don't see that happening and I doubt we see him back here next year.  He is what he is but let's not forget that he's also a quality human being and a team-first kind of guy.

DHB is exactly who I said he was months ago when everybody was clammoring for us to sign him. It may noy have cost us much but it was pretty much a waste of a signing. People knew he sucked but for some reason Colts fans like to lie to themselves and think just because a player signs with the Colts, that its going to rejuvinate their careers and they will become superstars.

I hope the Colts don't bail on DHB...

There is still half of a season for him to get more targets with Wayne out, and as mentioned he seems to be a solid locker room/team guy...

I don't think DHB will demand a huge contract to retain him, so I think while DHB may still not be living up to that first round, top ten draft expectations, he still has value & can still grow into his role on this team...

Guest TeamLoloJones

Nothin much to say about it that has not been said countless times...He is who we thought he was, It was a harmless gamble on Grigsons part to bring him in as a FA but in all honesty you could likely get more production out of Da'Rick Rodgers at this point with better hands.

Is it a bad sign that when DHB was out of the game Sunday night our offense finally started clicking?

I am no expert, but it doesn't seem like DHB is able to create separation from the corner in man coverage.  He does well if he finds a spot in zone coverage.

He doesn't need much separation, but he has to learn to snap his head around and pick up the flight of the ball and "hands catch" the darn ball.

Maybe there is some hope...even Reggie was bad at drops his first 2 years..maybe Reggie can improve Bey enough to be reliable.

I am holding out hope for Hayward-Bey to become a solid receiver.

He has a great attitude and physical tools...he needs to practice a deeper concentration during the passing plays...don't get too excited...don't get too slack...and practice, practice, practice catching the ball in all positions.

I think it's still early. Sure he drops passes. We knew that before he came here. I say we wait until the end of the season before we decide whether it was a bad signing our not.

I think it may be good to drop Reed (looked good on kr's sunday) and have DHB return kick off and use him for a reverse or 2 in the games and maybe a few bubble screens.

I think we should go with the other 3 wr's in most of the 3 wr sets

At this point Hilton has roughly the same number of negative plays as Bey. The huge difference are the big positive plays Hilton has made to offset them.

I still think Bey has been a positive addition to the roster, but he needs to start producing if he wants to come back next year.

I think it's still early. Sure he drops passes. We knew that before he came here. I say we wait until the end of the season before we decide whether it was a bad signing our not.

Well 50% of the games are in the books and it was a BAD signing so far.  Most players don't get full seasons to work out their game while the rest of the team puts things on hold.  He was crap right away but Reggie getting hurt meant his lack of game would be more thoroughly scrutinized. The Colts don't have time to wait need to put someone else in and give them a chance.  When I say one of our ps wide receivers cant be worse that tells u everything u need to know about DHB's game.

Those drops even seem to be making the Sunday Night Football crew feel bad for DHB.  Not good.