Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Next year's cap space [Merge]

Colts_Fan12

I'm fine if we resinf Bethea but I just know how Grigs is very random lol

Hes not. Its very clear what hes doing. Hes building a defense based on great secondary play and a run first offense to wear down defenses and set up the pass, while keeping the opponent off the field. Old school keep away ball.

His big moves have been cornerback, a big wideout to help block in the run game, and a safety. Its likely Bethea is #1 on his priority list to keep.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We also have a couple of practice squad players we haven't mentioned. Adongo, McNary and Price might be good enough to make the 53 man roster. Maybe a couple of more but those are the 3 that comes to my mind. Out of all of those players Adongo is the one who might have an impact if he can grasp the game as well as Griggs and Pagano want him to do. From what I rad about him he is well liked and thought of not only by the coaches but the regular players as well. Williams might come into play if Brown and or Bradshaw do not return. 

We also have a couple of practice squad players we haven't mentioned. Adongo, McNary and Price might be good enough to make the 53 man roster. Maybe a couple of more but those are the 3 that comes to my mind. Out of all of those players Adongo is the one who might have an impact if he can grasp the game as well as Griggs and Pagano want him to do. From what I rad about him he is well liked and thought of not only by the coaches but the regular players as well. Williams might come into play if Brown and or Bradshaw do not return.

If Adongo can pan out that would be awesome

IN FA go defense for cryin out loud !! 3-4 DE ? ILB ? CB?  Let resign bethea Davis macaffee

TOP NAMES :  Brandon Browner CB

Sam Shields CB

Arthur Jones DE

Ryan pickett NT

IN FA go defense for cryin out loud !! 3-4 DE ? ILB ? CB? Let resign bethea Davis macaffee

TOP NAMES : Brandon Browner CB

Sam Shields CB

Arthur Jones DE

Ryan pickett NT

I'd much rather resign Moala than sign Jones. He'd be cheaper and to me they are fairly equal in terms of talent.

I highly doubt DB gets looked at with Butler and Toler both getting deals and with Grigson spending a 2nd rounder on Vontae, I would almost bet Vontae is going to be re-upped. If any DB's are added it will be later in the draft for added depth.

The same thing goes with NT. Chapman has shown he's going to be the "guy" next year so depth at NT can be added later in the draft next year.

I don't look for Grigson to go bananas again next year in FA. He will spend a good amount on our guys. However, I do like the thought of what someone said earlier and that's taking a look at Brian Orakpo. With his past injuries he may be a cheap addition and it would give us another pass rusher along with Werner. I think with the way Walden has been playing he may end up being here the next couple of years.

Speaking of linebackers, I wouldn't be surprised if Grigson doesn't take a hard look at a top tier ILB to go with Freeman. I honestly feel that's the only spot that could be heavily upgraded. Angerer and Sheppard aren't the answer, however I still like Conner for depth. I can only imagine how much better this front 7 can be with a true run defending thumper at ILB.

Grigson's work this year made next offseason much easier to manage and build upon I believe. The man is good..

Guest TeamLoloJones

We thought that about freeny

Freeney didn't fit our defense.  Bethea is a coach in the secondary.  Huge difference.

Resign: Bethea

Bradshaw or Brown ( depend at the end of season etc)
Davis

DHB ( depends on stats at the end)

Sign: Alex Mack

Brian Orakpo 

Arthur Jones 

Rolando Mcclain ( if he makes a return, if not Arthur Moats)

Sam Shields

Draft:

2: Bradley Roby ( I reckon he would drop after his performances recently, would be a huge steal), if he doesn't drop Jason Verrett

3.Chris Burnette

5: Sean Parker

6: Cornelius Lucas

7: BPA

The reason I haven't done anything with the WR position, is because I feel we keep wait a year and next year draft someone like Dorial Green Beckham

We have significant CAP space next year, but some big names to re-sign (Ex. Bethea). You will also have Vontae Davis, A. Franklin, DHB, Connor, Angerer (won't be re-signed), Vinny, and Boomstick, Brown are the main ones......you also have to plan for Luck and Castanzo. I think next year will put heavy focus on re-signing our own. 

That being said, we better have a new starting center next year (one way or another).

I don't see DHB coming back.

Randomly I can't help but fantasize about having orakpo opposite mathis with spikes and freeman in the middle. Also if bethea did walk I would love to have tj ward or chris clemons. Again, nothing but a fantasy

Giving up on Werner already?

I just don't know if we will pay to keep Bethea with Howell showing he is a beast

Howell made a great play on the blocked kick, but he wasn't beastly in other facets of the game. And damn, he got chased down a punter lol

unlike last year when we were able to spend just about all our money on free agents we are going to have to spend some on our own this off-season.

McAfee:  Could get tagged again but I am guessing they will make some kind of decision on him long term.

Bethea:  I would like to see brought back but he is getting older and isn't a Grigson guy unless the figure is right Grigson might very well let him walk.

Davis: I don't think we will tag but I think he will be priority one to re-sign.  I don't think we traded a second round pick for a guy we would let walk after two years.

Bradshaw:  I thought he was one and done BEFORE the Richardson trade after the Richardson trade and another injury I am sure he's one and done.

Brown:  If money is right and he's happy with a change of pace/special teams role sure bring him back but the Colts might be leery of a guy that Grigson didn't draft and is in a contract year.

DHB:  I think the Colts like him a lot and maybe more importantly I think Luck likes him a lot.  I think we will try to keep him but again the money has to be right. 

Angerer:  If money is right I think we try to bring him back.

Conner:  Fans love him (including me) but I get the idea the front office doesn't dig him I think we let him walk.

Franklin:  Chapman is really coming on so I think we try to find another journyman DT to be his back up but could keep Franklin if money is cheap enough.

Hasselbeck:  Not a free agent but I remember when he was signed several people think we might get out of his contract after one year.  Might want to watch and see what happens here. 

Link:  Could be allowed to walk but again will probably come down to money and maybe even the draft.

McGlynn:  Clearly the Colts like him more than the fans do.  I have a feeling either he or Link comes back next year and one walks.

Moala:  Depends on money and performance the rest of the season. 

Sidbury:  On IR before the season started I don't think we've missed him he walks.

Adam:  Getting older, might make the choice for the Colts and retire.  If not I think this is the out with Adam without having to cut him at some point.  With that said if money is right and he wants to play could see a short term deal to the grown of AV haters every where.

Vaughn:  Probably depends on what happens with Davis first but in the end I think he walks.

Davis

Brian Orakpo 

Arthur Jones 

Sam Shields

Draft:

2: Bradley Roby ( I reckon he would drop after his performances recently, would be a huge steal), if he doesn't drop Jason Verrett

3.Chris Burnette

The reason I haven't done anything with the WR position, is because I feel we keep wait a year and next year draft someone like Dorial Green Beckham

Your going to be severely disappointed.

Davis

Brian Orakpo 

Arthur Jones 

Sam Shields

Draft:

3.Chris Burnette

I think they should resign Bethea, Davis and Brown. Then they should sign Rolando McClain, Brian Orakpo and Alex Mack (all on front-loaded deals). They could trade for Gordon and draft Roby. If Clinton-Dix falls, try to trade someone or a future pick  to draft him as well.

unlike last year when we were able to spend just about all our money on free agents we are going to have to spend some on our own this off-season.

McAfee:  Could get tagged again but I am guessing they will make some kind of decision on him long term.

Bethea:  I would like to see brought back but he is getting older and isn't a Grigson guy unless the figure is right Grigson might very well let him walk.

Davis: I don't think we will tag but I think he will be priority one to re-sign.  I don't think we traded a second round pick for a guy we would let walk after two years.

Bradshaw:  I thought he was one and done BEFORE the Richardson trade after the Richardson trade and another injury I am sure he's one and done.

Brown:  If money is right and he's happy with a change of pace/special teams role sure bring him back but the Colts might be leery of a guy that Grigson didn't draft and is in a contract year.

DHB:  I think the Colts like him a lot and maybe more importantly I think Luck likes him a lot.  I think we will try to keep him but again the money has to be right. 

Angerer:  If money is right I think we try to bring him back.

Conner:  Fans love him (including me) but I get the idea the front office doesn't dig him I think we let him walk.

Franklin:  Chapman is really coming on so I think we try to find another journyman DT to be his back up but could keep Franklin if money is cheap enough.

Hasselbeck:  Not a free agent but I remember when he was signed several people think we might get out of his contract after one year.  Might want to watch and see what happens here. 

Link:  Could be allowed to walk but again will probably come down to money and maybe even the draft.

McGlynn:  Clearly the Colts like him more than the fans do.  I have a feeling either he or Link comes back next year and one walks.

Moala:  Depends on money and performance the rest of the season. 

Sidbury:  On IR before the season started I don't think we've missed him he walks.

Adam:  Getting older, might make the choice for the Colts and retire.  If not I think this is the out with Adam without having to cut him at some point.  With that said if money is right and he wants to play could see a short term deal to the grown of AV haters every where.

Vaughn:  Probably depends on what happens with Davis first but in the end I think he walks.

Disagree that we will cut Hasselbeck.  His cap hit next year is 3.75 mil and the dead money is 1.5 million.  So in order to cut Hasselbeck you have to convince me that there is a better option for a back-up QB at 2.25 million or less.  

He's IMO one of the best true backup (as in there is no controversy about the starter) QB's in the league.  I don't see why we shouldn't finish out this contract.

I think Link will be back next year.  Coaches seem to like him because he can suck at 4 out of the 5 positions on the offensive line.  McGlynn may be back but I think he'll be replaced.  

Either Conner or Angerer will be back but I don't think both will be.  

I can definitely see them resiging Bethea, he is one of the best we have, his leadership ability is uncanny, what he brings to the table is much more than just tackles, he's a motivator (again proven during the seahawks game).  I am not totally sold on the idea that DHB was a bad choice, yeah, he's had some drops and no he's not as fast as some of the other receivers, however, I still have faith in the guy and I think he will prove to be a valuable acquisition for us.  Adam 'bomb' V definitely, resign and let him ride it out with us. I would love to see Bradshaw resigned, but I honestly don't think it will happen (fingers are crossed, however).  Patty Mac is a no brainer, he's the shiznit, we keep him for sure. 

Now a question a bit off topic....   I have to say that there is one Colts player that I have had a personal issue with the whole time he's been with the Colts, however, this year he really seems like something has clicked with him and I didn't notice this until Bradshaw came to the team.  Prior to that point, I was referring to him as Jeff "the turnstile" Linkenbach, however, if you watched the San Francisco game (and I know we all did), Linkenbach was creating holes and pushing the defenders back and out of the way, and Bradshaw displayed a tendency in that game to actually follow behind Linkenbach.  I have to honestly say that my mind was blown when I saw that.  I told my son, "Maybe I've underestimated him all this time, he really can do his job"  lol   I'm just curious as to what everyone else thinks of him and how he's been playing and was your opinion of him the same as mine was, or was I the only one?  I saw the guy at training camp and he's a big ol' boy, so I was really puzzled as to why he was struggling so much.

Disagree that we will cut Hasselbeck.  His cap hit next year is 3.75 mil and the dead money is 1.5 million.  So in order to cut Hasselbeck you have to convince me that there is a better option for a back-up QB at 2.25 million or less.  

He's IMO one of the best true backup (as in there is no controversy about the starter) QB's in the league.  I don't see why we shouldn't finish out this contract.

I think Link will be back next year.  Coaches seem to like him because he can suck at 4 out of the 5 positions on the offensive line.  McGlynn may be back but I think he'll be replaced.  

Either Conner or Angerer will be back but I don't think both will be.  

Yeah if I recall the people thinking Hasselbeck would be cut were also banking on Harnish taking over the back up job.  After this pre-season I don't know if I see that or if those people still see that.  I was just putting it out there because I was trying to put up a list of "major" guys that the Colts could lose this off-season.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/08/25/indianapolis-colts-2014-free-agent-outlook/

Well I may be wrong but from my research the Colts will be in great shape next offseason with more money this offseason then 2013, around 40 to 46 million and thats after we resign the players we want, please someone help me out with this never been good at math. I know this isn't 100% accurate just estamation but looks like another fun 2014 offseason!!

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/08/25/indianapolis-colts-2014-free-agent-outlook/

Well I may be wrong but from my research the Colts will be in great shape next offseason with more money this offseason then 2013, around 40 to 46 million and thats after we resign the players we want, please someone help me out with this never been good at math. I know this isn't 100% accurate just estamation but looks like another fun 2014 offseason!!

This guy is a little off.  He says we are going to spend about 25 million to keep the current players on the roster that we are going to keep.  This I believe

Then he says our current salary cost is 80 million.  I can confirm that this is correct

He says then that the total cap number we will be spending between the FA we re-sign and the people already on contract will equal 90 million.  Umm no 80 million plus 25 million equals 105 million.

Also he mentions Angerer and Conner making way less then their play deserves.  I agree with this, they are both still on rookie contracts I think.  

But he doesn't mention Vontae Davis who's going to be getting a big raise of his own.

I would guess that after we re-sign the guys we are going to keep we will have about 15 to 20 million to spend on new free agents.  This depends on how good a negotiator Grigs is and if we are going to cut some people (Satele) to clear some cap space.  

The good news free agency wise is that the only big holes we will have is center and a RB2.  And that is only if Holmes and Williams don't pan out.  

Personally I think Grigs will try and find an under the radar FA center to sign and start.  

Yeah, we tried this year and they did not bite on the offers we gave them. Hopefully, with the success they will bite this free agency.

Are you sure that Grigs even wants to sign the best O-lineman??  It seems to me that he wants to get middle of the road players in free agency.  

He didn't really sign any big name players the last off season.  

Are you sure that Grigs even wants to sign the best O-lineman??  It seems to me that he wants to get middle of the road players in free agency.  

He didn't really sign any big name players the last off season.  

No, he did try last year.  We gave Levtrie AND Vasquez offers.  They were basically, the best lineman of the FA period last year, besides Jake Long (and we knew Clady was resigning anyway).  As you can see we got Cherilus who many believed was the best tackle in FA last year, we tried.

No, he did try last year.  We gave Levtrie AND Vasquez offers.  They were basically, the best lineman of the FA period last year, besides Jake Long (and we knew Clady was resigning anyway).  As you can see we got Cherilus who many believed was the best tackle in FA last year, we tried.

Didn't know we gave Levtrie and Vasquez offers.  How do you know that?  Where the offers too small??

Cherilus may have been the best RT in FA last year but he was hardly a name player.  The name players where Long and Vollmer.

For God's sakes, since when is (kittycat synonym)-footing around censored??? Get a grip!

I know right...I look at other teams we are playing forums and they say anything they want and make fun of us for being too PC, I wish they would relax on the censorship...It would make this forum much more entertaining, it's football for Pete's sake...

I could be wrong, but I think those rumors about offering those players $$ were false....as was much of the reporting during free agency.

Didn't know we gave Levtrie and Vasquez offers.  How do you know that?  Where the offers too small??

Cherilus may have been the best RT in FA last year but he was hardly a name player.  The name players where Long and Vollmer.

I don't have a source for Levtrie but I remember seeing a tweet posted inside the FA thread that was going on.

Vasquez - http://www.sbnation.com/2013/2/26/4032152/nfl-rumors-colts-interest-louis-vasquez

I'm only inferring that the offer was too small or the Broncos were a more attractive situation.  Seeing as we showed interest and he didn't come here.

And I know this is on the opposite side of the ball, but we were interested in Avril also.

I could be wrong, but I think those rumors about offering those players $$ were false....as was much of the reporting during free agency.

I hope it wasn't because it showed we were serious about solving problems.  Not saying we weren't at all, just like to see the new "Go and get it" attitude of the Colts.