Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Contain!

YOUR GM

Seattle's offensive coordinator has been a step ahead of our defense all game. Even on that last missed 3rd down conversion, he had the right play dialed up. Lynch just dropped it.

side note: Lawrence Guy is my guy. Why was he let go again?

It was sickening watching our D contain RW at times (I felt like I was watching us try to contain Roethlisberger all over again).  The kid is very good.  And I was complaining about it all game long.  But the ONE time they ran it and we stopped it was the one time it mattered most.  Freeman stuffed that play and it was a game defining moment.  So if we get beat by it all game long and stopped it only once, Freeman's timing was perfect.  There is a lot to be criticized about our defense this game, and our guys will get an earful in the film room tomorrow morning...BUT...we came up big when it mattered most..and to some extent, that covers the multitude of mistakes we made before it.

Haven't been able to watch the game yet, but I have seen RW play.

The kid is great scrambler.  Nimble feet, very quick and can change direction pretty well.  He's also short.  It's harder to keep track of the smaller guys on the field.  On the brightside, we won, and it wasn't a lead footed QB that ran all over us (Peyton did run in a TD today). 

I'll add more once Rewind is up.  I'm more irritated on how the Offense started--again.  No issues with the finish, but why do we feel the need to spot the other team 10+ points?

The kid is great scrambler.  Nimble feet, very quick and can change direction pretty well.  He's also short.  It's harder to keep track of the smaller guys on the field.  On the brightside, we won, and it wasn't a lead footed QB that ran all over us (Peyton did run in a TD today). 

I'll add more once Rewind is up.  I'm more irritated on how the Offense started--again.  No issues with the finish, but why do we feel the need to spot the other team 10+ points?

Agree with this completely.  RW had his way with us on the ground.  Thankfully, we didn't give up any big plays.  So I'll take the bend but don't break mentality.  We played well, but the D against mobile QBs wasn't perfect by any means.  Wilson missed a few big throws and it had nothing to do with our defense on a couple of plays (i.e. the missed throw at the end of the half).  Need to be better.

Seattle's offensive coordinator has been a step ahead of our defense all game. Even on that last missed 3rd down conversion, he had the right play dialed up. Lynch just dropped it.

You do realize Russel Wilson did the same thing to the leagues number one defense last week against the Texans? We clamped down in the red zone and got off the field at important times.

Wilson is very good at pulling it down and salvaging a play. But we kept rushing straight up the field and giving him running lanes. Later in the second half, we started forcing him to go horizontal a little bit more. But before that, we were very undisciplined against him and against their draw/trap game.

Guest TeamLoloJones

This defense is so undisciplined against mobile QB's. How many times does he have to gash you on the ground before you get that he's a threat?

How many times does Andrew Luck have to beat you in the 4th quarter before you realize he's a threat?  Answer: It doesn't matter, because you can't stop him anyway.

Im getting tired of watching Mathis not give a rip about the run for sure, Now its run it at Mathis, he cant stop it, everybody and there mother know when he is rushing that he is gong to rush the outside shoulder every time and leave a gaping hole for a mobile QB or a running back just to walk right through, sacks are nice but meaningless if you can get those yards right back by running right at same man that got that sack to begin with

Im getting tired of watching Mathis not give a rip about the run for sure, Now its run it at Mathis, he cant stop it, everybody and there mother know when he is rushing that he is gong to rush the outside shoulder every time and leave a gaping hole for a mobile QB or a running back just to walk right through, sacks are nice but meaningless if you can get those yards right back by running right at same man that got that sack to begin with

That was the case several times today. He was a primary culprit, coming up the field and opening running lanes to the inside.

However, I disagree with the "not give a rip about the run" part. He had a ton of nice contains on weakside plays, against tackles, not tight ends and fullbacks, like Walden. He made some adjustments as the game went on and started to play more like a complete defender than just pinning his ears back and coming upfield. 

That was the case several times today. He was a primary culprit, coming up the field and opening running lanes to the inside.

However, I disagree with the "not give a rip about the run" part. He had a ton of nice contains on weakside plays, against tackles, not tight ends and fullbacks, like Walden. He made some adjustments as the game went on and started to play more like a complete defender than just pinning his ears back and coming upfield. 

Maybe "not give a rip" was a bit harsh and an overexaggeration but its like I said, everybody and there mother knew Wilson is mobile and Lynch is a nightmare to bring down especially when you let him get to the 2nd level. It wasn't all on Mathis, Redding deviated from contain to, Overall we won against a very good team with a very good QB who happens to be mobile and a rb that could run through a cement wall if he had his pads and helmet on, I have not gone over the game again though so Ill probably wait to give alot more input unless I specifcally remember the play

It's not just the Colts the WHOLE league is trying to figure out how to stop this.  One thing that makes Wilson so hard is that he is so decisive when he takes off.  Honestly he's the best of what I have seen at doing that in the league right now.  Like Luck he also keeps the ball up and isn't afraid to throw it on the scramble.  Also he has the ability to turn a play that should be a sack or a throw away pass into a nice scramble because he can run away form the pressure.  He did that several times today. Also he did a great job of throwing the ball on boots and scrambles early to make the Colts honor it and keep the Colts defenders form coming up and playing his run.  You add all that together along with having sell out to stop Lynch and defending the WRs and yeah it's going to be very hard to stop.

What I thought was good was that Lynch had 75 some yards rushing in the first half and end up with just over 100 for the game.  The Colts did a MUCH better job on him in the second half. 

What do you suggest the colts do on D, and can YOU make a difference? Otherwise, be quiet. We won.

The suggestion was in the title, smart guy. And the thread was started DURING the game. My point still stands, regardless of the outcome

The suggestion was in the title, smart guy. And the thread was started DURING the game. My point still stands, regardless of the outcome.

We won against a difficult team.  You may have a good point.  But it's a filmroom learning experience.  Not something that our forums will teach our guys.  Be happy with the win for God's sake!!  At least act like we won!! Com'on man!!

We won against a difficult team. You may have a good point. But it's a filmroom learning experience. Not something that our forums will teach our guys. Be happy with the win for God's sake!! At least act like we won!! Com'on man!!

Like I said, check when thread was made. I'm very happy we won. I don't know why winning would make what I said any less true

Containing has been a little bit of a problem for us but give credit to Seattle O. Wilson and Lynch have amazing field vision and always seem to create an opening. Overall I'd say our defensive scheme worked out pretty well today.

We didn't tackle very well at times today either.  Then again tackling Lynch is much easier said than done. 

Also Wilson is just so darn fast you are kinda in a catch-22.  Several times the Colts blew up the pass play by getting up the field with their pass rush but Wilson took off but since the guys were up the field blowing up the pass play they weren't on the edges to stop Wilson running the ball.  What are you going to do?  If they don't get up the field to rush him out of the pocket then he just stands back there and picks you apart but if you come up he takes off and has enough speed to get to the edge before our guys can get out there on their angles.  I mean several times our ends or LBs had the Angles to get him just not the speed and I think that's more of a testament to Wilson in what makes him a special player than it is a slam on our guys.  Like Reggie Wayne likes to say the other side is on scholarship too. 

^  YES, ..  THIS.      Very poor tackling early..  but it got better.    AND INDY got better as the game went on...

Good Lord did any of you watch this team while DFREE and RM were in their "prime"  ???    This D is a dream come true to me..  At least they make adjustments...      Wilson, is VERY ELUSIVE...   in fact..  I think that is what his entire game is dependent on.

Keep these mobile QB's IN THE POCKET and all of a sudden they start to look like Gabbert.....     (with the exception of LUCK :thmup: )

This defense is so undisciplined against mobile QB's. How many times does he have to gash you on the ground before you get that he's a threat?

They apparently were not a step ahead the whole game they lost the momentum even before that drive.

if it happens versus Denver we are toast.

Watch the game VERY CLOSELY again and tell me how many times YOU see a COLT "in position" to make the play and he whiffs?  But as the game went along....   it got better...  and better. 

The Colts were "there" far more times than NOT.    Seattle tackles very well...    Indy does NOT.

That was the major difference in the game to me.     That and the QB's..  hehe.

The suggestion was in the title, smart guy. And the thread was started DURING the game. My point still stands, regardless of the outcome

So in other words we just need someone to go into the locker room and yell the word "contain!"?  I'm sure that's all that needs to be done.  I doubt the coaches have ever uttered the word "contain" so the players probably have no idea what it means.  You should go to the practices with big sign reading "CONTAIN!" so they'll know what to do from now on.

Like I said, check when thread was made. I'm very happy we won. I don't know why winning would make what I said any less true

And like I said, when we win, there will be much to criticize.  There's always something to criticize.  Be happy with the win...or at least act like it.

They had some key drops and overthrows that helped us out tremendously. A win is a win though. Go Colts

There it is!! I knew you had it in you!!!

haha, just toying with you BA. 

So in other words we just need someone to go into the locker room and yell the word "contain!"?  I'm sure that's all that needs to be done.  I doubt the coaches have ever uttered the word "contain" so the players probably have no idea what it means.  You should go to the practices with big sign reading "CONTAIN!" so they'll know what to do from now on.

Do you serve an actual purpose on here other than to be a pompous tool 24/7? We were undisciplined. That was the issue. That was my point. Not the scheme. Now go away please

Do you serve an actual purpose on here other than to be a pompous tool 24/7? We were undisciplined. That was the issue. That was my point. Not the scheme. Now go away please

Do you serve a purpose other than to be a whiny, condescending prig 24/7?  

Do you serve a purpose other than to be a whiny, condescending prig 24/7?  

If you don't like it, stop following my posts, Stanley. You seem to go out of your way to be a jerk at every available opportunity. I don't much see the point in it. You get picked on in school or something? 

If you don't like it, stop following my posts, Stanley. You seem to go out of your way to be a jerk at every available opportunity. I don't much see the point in it. You get picked on in school or something? 

Said the pot to the kettle.  I don't "follow" your posts, Wilbur.  I simply read the posts on the page.  I don't look at the thread author and say "ooh ooh I have to read HIS thread."  

Perhaps you only see me acting like a jerk because you only see my responses to YOU...which generally come after you acting like a jerk to someone else.  

I don't remember when the plays were during the game, but two examples of this, up the middle were: 

On one play, Walden was inside and tried a spin move to get around his blocker turning his back to Wilson. Wilson saw this and quickly ran right by him.

Another play, Conner got sucked in on the run fake and Wilson ran right through his gap.

These are just two plays that I particularly remember that Colt defenders had bad gap discipline and got burned. There were quite a few more where my TV got an ear full, But these two really stuck in my head. 

Loved the win!!