Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chuck loves Donald Brown...a little

oldunclemark

......keep in mind. we signed a cash money free agent and cashed in a No.1 draft choice to play at Donald Brown's position...

..still..its nice to hear praise for our elder statesman running back...

CHUCK PAGANO.....on his radio show...

Keep in mind..this is the same Chuck who signed a cash money free agent and cashed in a No.1 draft choice to replace Donald..

...but its still good to hear good things abiout our elder statesman RB

On Donald Brown and his big game on Sunday:

“Everybody knows Donald is a talented, talented running back. He’s a great pro. He had opportunities and he always takes advantage of those opportunities. We had some plays called where whether it be an eight-man box or a seven-man box, great call on our offensive staff’s part when Donald went in there. When you break us down statistically, Donnie is in there on a lot of passing downs so defensively they figure “not going to run the ball, they are going to pass the ball”. So they play coverage, don’t load the box up. On the big run, they had a light box if you will, six guys in there, split safety look and we had a trap called and the offensive line blocked it up perfectly. As we know Donald hit that hole and ran through two defenders and almost took it to the house.”

The hate on DB has gone a little to far.  The guy does have some skills that can be used, but most of the hate stems that we wasted a first round pick on the guy. The guy just is not a first round talent especially at a very replaceable position like RB.

I would not mind him back next season at a much much cheaper price.  He definitely could contribute, but will never be a full time running back that carries the load.

The people complaining about TRich only averaging 3 ypc should listen to coach.  They're loading the box against him, thinking he's going to run.

Now, they might have to start respecting DB with what he's shown in the last couple games.  This only improves our passing game.

brown is never gonna put fear into a defense. trich may not be putting wow worthy number granted hes only been here not even two weeks and hes still learning the playbook, defenses respect him and will put the extra guy in the box to stop him, your not getting that with brown and when you do have the extra guy in the box, thats a birthday present for luck.

Donald Brown gave up the sack on 4th down to end the Dolphins game.  Every play he makes (against a team that was done for) he trades with a mistake. 

Everybody gets on Brown because of the inability to block and just do the little things that even crappy running backs can do.  Also just run freaking north and south no dancing and running to the sideline.

brown is never gonna put fear into a defense. trich may not be putting wow worthy number granted hes only been here not even two weeks and hes still learning the playbook, defenses respect him and will put the extra guy in the box to stop him, your not getting that with brown and when you do have the extra guy in the box, thats a birthday present for luck.

Doesn't have to put fear in a defense, that makes our offense better. Donald Brown is no elite or feared back but I'll take a 50 yard run without a stacked box over a stacked box with a 3 yard run any day of the week

Doesn't have to put fear in a defense, that makes our offense better. Donald Brown is no elite or feared back but I'll take a 50 yard run without a stacked box over a stacked box with a 3 yard run any day of the week

Trent and Bradshaw give him the luxury to run like that. When he was our feature back he could t run against stacked boxes.

Trent and Bradshaw give him the luxury to run like that. When he was our feature back he could t run against stacked boxes.

Our run blocking this year is also (at least the past 2 weeks) way improved.  Donnie is not a power runner, he needs a hole and open space -- I don't have the raw stats on it, but it seemed like last year Donnie was getting hit behind or at the line more often than not.  Give him some space, and he is our most dangerous break-away RB.

You are probably right that Trent and Bradshaw help him out quite a bit, but I think the fact that we have a more balanced offense and a seemingly much better run-blocking OL than we have had in recent years helps quite a bit, too.  Donnie Brown has not lived up to his first-round hype, and parts of that are because he has battled injuries and parts of that are because we have not had consistent OL play for the vast majority of his career, especially in terms of run blocking.  He has also struggled, IMO, because he has never really had a decent complimentary back -- he and Addai are somewhat similar, and it wasn't until late last year that Ballard seemed to really establish himself as a kind of 'pounder' RB.

That said, with a solid smash-mouth back and a good line, Donnie is finally starting to be used properly in the NFL.  Worth a 1st round pick, probably not.  However, if you look around the league, there are very few teams that have a legitimate threat to be on the field exclusively as an every down back (Adrian Peterson, IMO, is the only bonafide every down, every play, no need for a change of pace back in the NFL). 

I hope we keep Brown next year, assuming he is willing to sign for cheaper than his first-round contract.  His speed, pass-catching ability, ability to hold on to the football, and his on/off-field character are all reasons why I like Donnie a lot as a Colt -- with T-Rich and Bradshaw/Ballard, I think we can keep Donnie healthy and really utilize him as a threat to opposing defenses.

your missing the point. teams will stack the box on brown when they know we're running and we'll seen what happens. brown is not and will never be a factor as a featured back.

Look DB is a good change of pace and can be affective, but he should only have a maximum of three to four plays a game. Bradshaw will hopefully stay healthy more often, only carrying the load on 3rd downs. When T Rich gets more comfortable he will be able to take all 1st and 2nd downs. 

If we could fuse browns speed with richardsons power that would be an unstoppable back.

I'm not jumping on the Brown Hate Train, but he's really not that fast. He gets caught from behind most of the time. 

He is a great change of pace back after TRich and Bradshaw wear the Defense down though. He ran behind a FB in college, and I think Pep's system is a better fit for him for sure. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

If we could fuse browns speed with richardsons power that would be an unstoppable back.

That guy already exists...his name his Adrian Peterson.

Donald Brown gave up the sack on 4th down to end the Dolphins game.  Every play he makes (against a team that was done for) he trades with a mistake. 

Everybody gets on Brown because of the inability to block and just do the little things that even crappy running backs can do.  Also just run freaking north and south no dancing and running to the sideline.

Did he also blow the first 3 downs on that fatal drive, or are you just using the cherry picking tactics to fuel your hate and ignorance?

Our run blocking this year is also (at least the past 2 weeks) way improved.  Donnie is not a power runner, he needs a hole and open space -- I don't have the raw stats on it, but it seemed like last year Donnie was getting hit behind or at the line more often than not.  Give him some space, and he is our most dangerous break-away RB.

You are probably right that Trent and Bradshaw help him out quite a bit, but I think the fact that we have a more balanced offense and a seemingly much better run-blocking OL than we have had in recent years helps quite a bit, too.  Donnie Brown has not lived up to his first-round hype, and parts of that are because he has battled injuries and parts of that are because we have not had consistent OL play for the vast majority of his career, especially in terms of run blocking.  He has also struggled, IMO, because he has never really had a decent complimentary back -- he and Addai are somewhat similar, and it wasn't until late last year that Ballard seemed to really establish himself as a kind of 'pounder' RB.

That said, with a solid smash-mouth back and a good line, Donnie is finally starting to be used properly in the NFL.  Worth a 1st round pick, probably not.  However, if you look around the league, there are very few teams that have a legitimate threat to be on the field exclusively as an every down back (Adrian Peterson, IMO, is the only bonafide every down, every play, no need for a change of pace back in the NFL). 

I hope we keep Brown next year, assuming he is willing to sign for cheaper than his first-round contract.  His speed, pass-catching ability, ability to hold on to the football, and his on/off-field character are all reasons why I like Donnie a lot as a Colt -- with T-Rich and Bradshaw/Ballard, I think we can keep Donnie healthy and really utilize him as a threat to opposing defenses.

i posted the same thing sunday. he was a low 1st round pick. i don't understand why people expect him to be a top rb.

Did he also blow the first 3 downs on that fatal drive, or are you just using the cherry picking tactics to fuel your hate and ignorance?

True statement, but it's also true that Brown blew his block, very badly.  He doesn't get many opportunities anymore so it stands out when he makes a big error like that.

Many of us are of the opinion that Brown is a pretty terrible blocker.  Few doubt his ability as a runner (or at least I don't), but he just won't see many snaps if he's deemed a liability in the passing game.  Fear of trusting Brown with pass blocking duties for extended periods were a primary motivator in the TRich trade, IMO. 

True statement, but it's also true that Brown blew his block, very badly.  He doesn't get many opportunities anymore so it stands out when he makes a big error like that.

Many of us are of the opinion that Brown is a pretty terrible blocker.  Few doubt his ability as a runner (or at least I don't), but he just won't see many snaps if he's deemed a liability in the passing game.  Fear of trusting Brown with pass blocking duties for extended periods were a primary motivator in the TRich trade, IMO. 

can you give me some more examples of blocks that he has blown. it should be very easy.

can you give me some more examples of blocks that he has blown. it should be very easy.

The "GD Donald!!!"  Manning play is an obvious go to.  This is the issue with anecdotal evidence, which is why I qualified my statement with IMO.  He so rarely sees the field it's hard to keep track of specific plays, but I recall being irritated multiple times in the past.  

If you know of anything objective that states otherwise I'd be happy to look at it.  Maybe PFF tracks this?

The "GD Donald!!!"  Manning play is an obvious go to.  This is the issue with anecdotal evidence, which is why I qualified my statement with IMO.  He so rarely sees the field it's hard to keep track of specific plays, but I recall being irritated multiple times in the past.  

If you know of anything objective that states otherwise I'd be happy to look at it.  Maybe PFF tracks this?

PFF does track it. DB actually scored out very high last year. There was a thread after the Ballard injury that discuss in detail.

Interesting...  I remain cynical, but I'd love to be surprised.  

Right...at this point in the season, there's not a large enough sample size. He obviously blew it during the Dolphins game. I also think it is really hard to quantify pass blocking for RBs...so many variables that are subjective. In general, DB is a fine back. The last two games, he has been used exactly as he should be and if it continues he will continue to provide a spark in the running game and won't be put in a position to be a major liability in the passing game.

Donald behind Trent and Ahmad or just Trent (as long as Trent is the workhorse) is an amazing back. Great change of pace. Donald trying to split carries or even 70./30 with Trent is no good.

nope

there isn't a scenario that makes donald an amazing back

Guest TeamLoloJones

His name was Bo Jackson and he was one bad man before he injured his hip.

What does Jake Locker have to do with this?............too soon?

The people complaining about TRich only averaging 3 ypc should listen to coach.  They're loading the box against him, thinking he's going to run.

Now, they might have to start respecting DB with what he's shown in the last couple games.  This only improves our passing game.

While a valid point, a stacked box is not some unique plight that is foreign to the rest of the league, and only Richardson has to deal with. Running teams with decent backs have to deal with stacked boxes all the time. He's only been with the team for a short period of time so it's too soon to write him off just yet, but I'm tired of all the excuses. If he's worth a 1st round draft pick, he should be able to gain more than 3 ypc, stacked box or not

Guest TeamLoloJones

Lol, hopefully it's not to serious

I read it's just a hip sprain and might miss about a month.  Hope Jake gets better, he was playing pretty good ball.

While a valid point, a stacked box is not some unique plight that is foreign to the rest of the league, and only Richardson has to deal with. Running teams with decent backs have to deal with stacked boxes all the time. He's only been with the team for a short period of time so it's too soon to write him off just yet, but I'm tired of all the excuses. If he's worth a 1st round draft pick, he should be able to gain more than 3 ypc, stacked box or not

I re-watched the last game and counted how many times he was hit behind the line.  On the plays where he had some blocking he made progress.

I'm not trying to make an excuse for him.  But I'm not expecting him to work miracles. 

I think DB is in the similar situation that Jerry Hughes found himself in.  Not as good as we hoped with a number 1 and thus became the whipping boy for everything that went wrong.  Neither has performed up to a number 1 pick level, but neither are round 7 picks either, as some seem to think they should be in the arena league.  DB is a decent runner with good skills.  He just can't stay healthy.  And yes, not a good blocker.  However, I have no problem with him being our #2 back on a cheap contract next year.