Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ben Tate?

I'm not saying the Colts should trade for him, but he is a FA next year. Adding a solid RB from a rival would really spice things up in the division. He's young, talented, versatile and exactly what the Colts are looking for in a RB1. Heyward- Bey, Jean-Francois, Cherillus, AND Landry all said they came because the team was already getting better and on the rise. Is it too soon to think about it? Is it a good idea?

I'm not saying the Colts should trade for him, but he is a FA next year. Adding a solid RB from a rival would really spice things up in the division. He's young, talented, versatile and exactly what the Colts are looking for in a RB1. Heyward- Bey, Jean-Francois, Cherillus, AND Landry all said they came because the team was already getting better and on the rise. Is it too soon to think about it? Is it a good idea?

I also want to say I absolutely love the idea of a Ben Tate, Vick Ballard 70/30 split with Tate as the FEATURE BACK.

No, I'm talking picking Tate up in Free Agency next off season. The Texans have to resign Watt and other players while they still have 3 years of Foster after this year. If they trade him at least they get something for him instead of him leaving and them getting nothing for him. That's why I think they MIGHT trade him. But I say we wait until next off season and tell him he gets to be a #1 RB on a team that is run 1st and has the fast receivers to draw safety attention with a QB who is destined for greatness and has the Defensive minded coach to take the ball away and give us more possessions to take the lead early in games.

No, I'm talking picking Tate up in Free Agency next off season. The Texans have to resign Watt and other players while they still have 3 years of Foster after this year. If they trade him at least they get something for him instead of him leaving and them getting nothing for him. That's why I think they MIGHT trade him. But I say we wait until next off season and tell him he gets to be a #1 RB on a team that is run 1st and has the fast receivers to draw safety attention with a QB who is destined for greatness and has the Defensive minded coach to take the ball away and give us more possessions to take the lead early in games.

Except the Colts aren't a run first team....no team is.

Houston isn't going to willingly give Indy a starting back and I would draft new runners..not trade for used ones.

Running backs have a very short shelf life

I think OP was meaning bring in Tate in FA after this season ... Houston won't have any say in it then, he will be UFA.

I'd LOVE to have a true feature back here.  I don't think Tate will be that guy, though.  I think with a strong year this year he's going to try and get a big pay day.  At least more than Grigson would be willing to pay.  I'm ok with that as I think the Ballard injury was just a freak thing and he's proven to be durable through college and last year.  I'd like the FA money to go towards some decent O-Line depth and maybe some secondary depth as well.  I guess it depends what we do with Bradshaw and how K Williams does after this year.  Either way, I'm nowhere near ready to start thinking about the offseason yet, so I'll end my little rant.

I think OP was meaning bring in Tate in FA after this season ... Houston won't have any say in it then, he will be UFA.

I'm hearing that and I'm saying you do not want to pay for free agent running backs ever..

Draft rookie backs.....Fresher legs -  lower cost...Much less injury risk.

Dont buy used runners

I'm hearing that and I'm saying you do not want to pay for free agent running backs ever..

Dont buy used runners

Ohh .. I assumed when you said you wanted to draft as opposed to "trade" you maybe did not know OP meant FA.

I agree, ideally drafting is the way to go, but depending on price and a team's situation sometimes buying or renting a RB can be a good choice.

Dont buy used runners

Ben Tate is one of those rare exceptions though.  He's been a backup, not alot of tread on those tires yet.  

The real danger is how expensive he could be.  Not much worth in tying up salary cap in a RB unless you have Adrian Peterson or Lesean Mccoy.  

In that case I agree with you, I'd rather have a rookie runner.

Houston will not let him leave in FA, they will offer him a lot of money, especially since now it looks like Foster's body is starting to ware down. 

Houston will not let him leave in FA, they will offer him a lot of money, especially since now it looks like Foster's body is starting to ware down.

while you are right about fosters body, foster still has 3 years on his contract. Tate has said he doesn't like playing second fiddle to him. If Houston is smart they will try to get something for him before he leaves. I don't think they can throw money at him due to watt and smith big contracts coming up.

I like Tate but RBs are a dime a dozen. You can get a rookie a lot cheaper than what he's going to be asking for as a FA.

I'd rather they spend the cap money on securing some of the guys we have, like Davis.

I really don't know when the average fan is going to figure this out. Every team has already figured it out, fans need to realize it too.

I really don't know when the average fan is going to figure this out. Every team has already figured it out, fans need to realize it too.

lions sighed Reggie bush. Giants are having horrible rb problems. Hawks signed Jackson. The list goes on, so I guess decent good ones are not a dime a dozen....

Dont buy used runners

I'm glad the Colts signed a free agent RB this offseason

RBs may be a dime a dozen but you're looking for a quality back, yes? Sometimes, you just have to pay for that because the draft is a crapshoot.

I would never pay a RB big money. The Texans pay Foster average of 8.7m per year.....no freaking thanks.

lions sighed Reggie bush. Giants are having horrible rb problems. Hawks signed Jackson. The list goes on, so I guess decent good ones are not a dime a dozen....

There is only one RB in the game right now that I would say isn't "a dime a dozen" RB and that would be Adrian Peterson. Any team can easily replace a RB with a decent scouting department. RB's are available all the time, teams just have to put a little research into finding one that's competent. One of the things that I've repeated constantly is that the key to a good running game is having good blockers. Without a good run blocking O-line, I don't care who you have running the ball....they will not be successful.

There is only one RB in the game right now that I would say isn't "a dime a dozen" RB and that would be Adrian Peterson. Any team can easily replace a RB with a decent scouting department. RB's are available all the time, teams just have to put a little research into finding one that's competent. One of the things that I've repeated constantly is that the key to a good running game is having good blockers. Without a good run blocking O-line, I don't care who you have running the ball....they will not be successful.

Barry Sanders, end rant.

How did jacksonville do without Jones drew lasst year in rushing. About 500 less then previous year....

Jacksonville always sucks, so I don't see what that has to do with anything. MJD gets his yds, because teams don't care if he runs on them because they know they will still be able to outscore Jacksonville anyway. Jacksonville can't pass the ball so they are forced to run all the time just to look like a legit team.

Jacksonville always sucks, so I don't see what that has to do with anything. MJD gets his yds, because teams don't care if he runs on them because they know they will still be able to outscore Jacksonville anyway. Jacksonville can't pass the ball so they are forced to run all the time just to look like a legit team.

bad or not there running production dropped off due to missing Jones drew. They can't pass like you said so teams can have 8 in the box and focus on the run and he would still get the yards. And also you said any running back, didn't say he would have to be playing

bad or not there running production dropped off due to missing Jones drew. They can't pass like you said so teams can have 8 in the box and focus on the run and he would still get the yards. And also you said any running back, didn't say he would have to be playing

You can keep thinking that RB's have more value than they really do if you want. You're certainly not alone amongst many fans, but RB's are easily replaceable at any time. Have a good line blocking for them and they will look better than they may really be. Have a bad line and it don't matter who's running the ball. That is just a simple fact!

Average fan??? You don't know what kind of fan I am. Look at Tate's PROFESSIONAL resume, It's proven. Period. Pay the little extra money and know what you get compared to drafting a RB and him being a bust. Everyone acts like the draft is a sure thing. Most high draft picks end up being middle of the road or bust players. Id pay the extra money to know that I have a PROVEN back. If it weren't for Lynch, Rice, Peterson, Charles, McCoy or Martin their respective Offenses/ Teams wouldn't be anywhere near as powerful as they are. You have to have a quarterback to win championships, but never discount the impact of a Solid back.

Dime a dozen RBs? Tell that to the RBs I just mentioned. All of the top RBs have been taken in different rounds of the draft. There are over 300 picks every year. MOST are busts. You take the best you have and Ill take Tate over the top RBs in the draft just for the proven record. Packers, Denver, and Pittsburgh all still have question marks at the RB position. All took RBs high in this years draft.