Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ben Tate?

Average fan??? You don't know what kind of fan I am. Look at Tate's PROFESSIONAL resume, It's proven. Period. Pay the little extra money and know what you get compared to drafting a RB and him being a bust. Everyone acts like the draft is a sure thing. Most high draft picks end up being middle of the road or bust players. Id pay the extra money to know that I have a PROVEN back. If it weren't for Lynch, Rice, Peterson, Charles, McCoy or Martin their respective Offenses/ Teams wouldn't be anywhere near as powerful as they are. You have to have a quarterback to win championships, but never discount the impact of a Solid back.

You have no clue how Tate or any other RB would do on the Colts. Fans act like certain RB's have this magical and mystical way of running that allows them to slip through cracks like greased pigs. The truth of the matter is that a huge percentage of RB's all have the same talents.

Some might be a little bigger, stronger, quicker, or whatever, but very very few have outstanding qualities that put them that much further ahead than the everyday college RB or guy's playing in other league's. The difference is some of those "average" RB's are given an opportunity to run behind a great blocking O-line.

If/when they get that opportunity, most can look much better than what anybody ever gave them credit for. This is what has given guy's like Arian Foster or Alfred Morris a chance to look better than any scout thought they would be. 

Dime a dozen RBs? Tell that to the RBs I just mentioned. All of the top RBs have been taken in different rounds of the draft. There are over 300 picks every year. MOST are busts. You take the best you have and Ill take Tate over the top RBs in the draft just for the proven record. Packers, Denver, and Pittsburgh all still have question marks at the RB position. All took RBs high in this years draft.

You are proving my point with every additional post you make. When many of the top drafted RB's are busts and then others that went undrafted or were very late rd. picks....it just goes to show how run of the mill RB's can be successful behind a good O-line. Once again, without a good run blocking O-line, the RB(no matter who it is)...is going to look below average.

Every position is that way. Not just RBs. Every position, every player, every team needs the right situation/ timing. Put RG3 and Luck on each other's teams they aren't anywhere near as good as they were. Without RG3 Morris doesn't blow up. Without Wayne Luck doesn't have as many wins. Its about taking what you have already seen instead of blind faith on a college RB against inferior competition. And without signing a FA RB we would be with Brown as our starting RB. We have seen how that has gone.

Every position is that way. Not just RBs. Every position, every player, every team needs the right situation/ timing. Put RG3 and Luck on each other's teams they aren't anywhere near as good as they were. Without RG3 Morris doesn't blow up. Without Wayne Luck doesn't have as many wins. Its about taking what you have already seen instead of blind faith on a college RB against inferior competition. And without signing a FA RB we would be with Brown as our starting RB. We have seen how that has gone.

Listen, if Grigson wants to go out and spend money on a FA RB, then thats what he'll do. I have no say in the matter and neither does anybody else on these forums. I think were all well aware of that. My whole point in this is that RB is one of the lowest valued positions in all of football. Heck, teams are more willing to drop big money on guards these days, instead of RB's. That's because they know that blocking is the key to a good running game and not who's running the ball. RB's have a very short shelf life in the NFL, in fact, they have the shortest shelf life of any position. Teams aren't willing to hand out big money to FA RB's because it's just downright stupid to do so.

Luck would excell with Mike Shanahan. The guy made jake plumber into a decent player.