Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Donald Driver backs/explains Jennings criticisms of Rodgers

amfootball

I just saw this and didn't realize that Donald Driver backed up Jennings criticisms of Rodgers:

"We've always said that the quarterback is the one that needs to take the pressure off everyone else," Driver said. "If a guy runs the wrong route, it's easy for the quarterback to say, 'Hey, I told him to run that route' than for the guy to be like, 'Well, I ran the wrong route.' Sometimes you ask Aaron to take the pressure off the guys so we won't look bad, but he didn't want to do that. He felt like if you did something bad, you do it.

"I think that's the difference. You want that leadership, and I think sometimes you may not feel like you got it. You have to earn that respect at the end of the day, and I think that's what Greg was probably referring to."

This was in an article where Rodgers says he is not going to change his leadership style.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9631237/aaron-rodgers-green-bay-packers-defends-leadership-style

So now we are getting some clarity on what the issues have been. I am sure more will come as the season goes.

dont you just love how these guys trash aaron when their no longer on the team for him to confront them about it

Well, it's debatable whether they should say something at all, but saying it (to the media) while they were on the team would have been damaging to the team and to themselves. It wouldn't exactly be an act of bravery to do so, just stupidity. But it's pretty clear that they "confronted" Rodgers about it repeatedly when they were together. He just didn't listen.

If memory serves Driver is a really good guy, and incredibly well respected. For him to make these (watered down, largely politically correct) comments tells you something. Rodgers may well be a :censored: .

In the example referring to a WR wanting Aaron to take the blame for a WRs wrong route running, I back Aaron 100%

A Receiver wanting to be babied is what I hear

... I tend to want to hold people accountable but that's just me

I agree but it is a team game. I think that is what Driver is getting at. There is a lot of pressure out there and he is saying that Rodgers has the ability to take that pressure off of guys but he doesn't. I know that if I was playing and I made a mistake and my QB did not call me out for it, I would bust my butt for him on the next play. That is part of being a leader which comes with the QB position. And I think all NFL players need coddling to some extent.

I agree but it is a team game. I think that is what Driver is getting at. There is a lot of pressure out there and he is saying that Rodgers has the ability to take that pressure off of guys but he doesn't. I know that if I was playing and I made a mistake and my QB did not call me out for it, I would bust my butt for him on the next play. That is part of being a leader which comes with the QB position. And I think all NFL players need coddling to some extent.

No full grown man should ever need to be coddled. That's just embarrassing

In the example referring to a WR wanting Aaron to take the blame for a WRs wrong route running, I back Aaron 100%

A Receiver wanting to be babied is what I hear

... I tend to want to hold people accountable but that's just me

No full grown man should ever need to be coddled. That's just embarrassing

After the Broncos lost to the Ravens the football world pointed fingers at Raheem Moore, and he tried to shoulder all the blame himself. Every single teammate I have ever seen interviewed about it tried to divert the blame from him and shoulder some themselves.  We all saw Peyton gesturing to Blair White in frustration, then in public doing everything he could to divert criticism from him. None of us have ANY idea what took place in meetings when the film was studied in either case. We just saw people acting with unity, respect, compassion, and a sense of the greater good.

If by "holding people accountable" or not "coddling" what exactly are you seeking? When I see players publicly pointing fingers and saying "don't look at me, it wasn't MY fault" I see dysfunction and a lack of character. I've worked with people like that. I had no respect for them, didn't trust them, and didn't want to work with them. How does any of that help a football team?

You hold people accountable in a private setting, not in the media. I have no problem with QBs yelling and screaming at guys at practice and on the sidelines, but when the microphones are on and the cameras are rolling you win as a team and you lose as a team. I've seen Brady say it time and time again, after picks that were clearly the result of a route breaking off too early or something along those lines, "I should have thrown it better there." Manning too. 

It sounds like Rodgers doesn't want to do that. I don't know, it's all conjecture for any of us who were not in the Green Bay locker room with these guys.

Well, it's debatable whether they should say something at all, but saying it (to the media) while they were on the team would have been damaging to the team and to themselves. It wouldn't exactly be an act of bravery to do so, just stupidity. But it's pretty clear that they "confronted" Rodgers about it repeatedly when they were together. He just didn't listen.

If memory serves Driver is a really good guy, and incredibly well respected. For him to make these (watered down, largely politically correct) comments tells you something. Rodgers may well be a :censored: .

if this as big a problem as their making it out to be then they should have spoken up when they were still on the team

You hold people accountable in a private setting, not in the media. I have no problem with QBs yelling and screaming at guys at practice and on the sidelines, but when the microphones are on and the cameras are rolling you win as a team and you lose as a team. I've seen Brady say it time and time again, after picks that were clearly the result of a route breaking off too early or something along those lines, "I should have thrown it better there." Manning too. 

It sounds like Rodgers doesn't want to do that. I don't know, it's all conjecture for any of us who were not in the Green Bay locker room with these guys.

Rodgers says he is not going to change his leadership style despite more than one receiver coming out in the past year. And these aren't divas like Ownes and Ochocinco. This is Jennings and Driver - two respected receivers who let their talking take place through their play. I know if Troy Brown and Deion Branch were saying these things about Brady or Harrison and Wayne about Manning, I would take notice and put weight behind their criticisms. Rodgers seems to want to brush it off.

Is anyone still surprised that Rodgers isn't as good a guy as a lot of people think? There's just a vibe one gets from his interviews and past comments questioning him don't paint a very good picture. Though not every person who is talented necessarily has to be a saint. Brady and Manning have set that prototypical precedent.

Is anyone still surprised that Rodgers isn't as good a guy as a lot of people think? There's just a vibe one gets from his interviews and past comments questioning him don't paint a very good picture. Though not every person who is talented necessarily has to be a saint. Brady and Manning have set that prototypical precedent.

If he wasn't as good as he is, he would be compared to Cutler. Although even Cutler's receivers have not had these types of comments about him.

If he wasn't as good as he is, he would be compared to Cutler. Although even Cutler's receivers have not had these types of comments about him.

Yeah, Cutler's never been seen as a bad locker room guy or a guy who lacks leadership among his peers. This stuff with Rodgers is different. Where there is smoke there is fire.

I don't think a QB should be expected to take the blame for his teammates mistakes. On a grand scale, yeah, I get it. "I didn't play as well as I could have, I take the blame for the loss." Absolutely, and that happens all the time. I won't waste my time looking for an Aaron Rodgers quote to that effect, but I don't doubt he's done that plenty of times himself

But when a receiver messes up, the QB isn't responsible for falling on his sword to save the receiver the scrutiny. I don't even think that's being a good teammate. It would be one thing of the QB goes out there and says "yeah, that was his fault, he ran the wrong route," but I don't think that's happening either.

It's too bad that Greg Jennings doesn't like Rodgers leadership style, but oh well. Can't win 'em all. I hope Jennings enjoys being led by Christian Ponder. 

I don't think a QB should be expected to take the blame for his teammates mistakes. On a grand scale, yeah, I get it. "I didn't play as well as I could have, I take the blame for the loss." Absolutely, and that happens all the time. I won't waste my time looking for an Aaron Rodgers quote to that effect, but I don't doubt he's done that plenty of times himself

But when a receiver messes up, the QB isn't responsible for falling on his sword to save the receiver the scrutiny. I don't even think that's being a good teammate. It would be one thing of the QB goes out there and says "yeah, that was his fault, he ran the wrong route," but I don't think that's happening either.

It's too bad that Greg Jennings doesn't like Rodgers leadership style, but oh well. Can't win 'em all. I hope Jennings enjoys being led by Christian Ponder. 

It seemed like Jennings criticisms went a lot further then what Driver offered. Perhaps Driver was just giving his take on things. But I do think if it was just about Rodgers not taking blame enough, Jennings may not have said anything. I think things ran deeper.

Can't wait for GB/Minn when I am sure this resurface with Jennings being asked about it everytime he is in front of a mike.

It seemed like Jennings criticisms went a lot further then what Driver offered. Perhaps Driver was just giving his take on things. But I do think if it was just about Rodgers not taking blame enough, Jennings may not have said anything. I think things ran deeper.

Can't wait for GB/Minn when I am sure this resurface with Jennings being asked about it everytime he is in front of a mike.

Yeah, maybe. Sometimes teammates don't like each other. It's not the end of the world. It's just kind of hilarious to me that someone would go from Rodgers to Ponder (no matter if you think Rodgers is overrated and Ponder underrated, Rodgers is still >>> Ponder), and then complain about Rodgers. But whatever, I really don't care.

As to the bolded/underlined ... I don't think he has to necessarily "fall on his sword", but a better leader would do a better job deflecting a lot of the heat away from them.  QBs usually get the lion's share of the glory for a win (see Flacco/Boldin) so it seems only fitting that they should be willing to take more of the heat.

The welching on his bets thing was the first thing to come out that made me wonder what type of guy Rodgers really was.  The Jersey bet was just flat out Rodgers not "manning up" to the bet.  On the 2nd bet about the PEDs I believe he was being facetious, and was not serious about betting a years salary ... but, that being said the classy thing to do and what I think Manning, Brady, etc ... would have done is made a good faith gesture and offered to make a sizable donation to the guys charity of choice.  This would have allowed him to look like a good guy and really would not have cost him anything, because he would have just turned around and claimed the donation as a tax deduction. 

I think the Driver/Jennings statements are just further evidence that Rodgers is not quite the "classy, stand up guy" many fans and media make him out out to be. 

I agree but most men I know need to be coddled. Some more than women.

This post to me comes across like an opportunity to take one thought and use it to deliver an opinion on another completely unrelated subject. But then again, its just an opinion about the post.

This post to me comes across like an opportunity to take one thought and use it to deliver an opinion on another completely unrelated subject. But then again, its just an opinion about the post.

I didn't bring up men or football players needing to be coddled, I was just responding based on my own relationships. :)

As to the bolded/underlined ... I don't think he has to necessarily "fall on his sword", but a better leader would do a better job deflecting a lot of the heat away from them.  QBs usually get the lion's share of the glory for a win (see Flacco/Boldin) so it seems only fitting that they should be willing to take more of the heat.

The welching on his bets thing was the first thing to come out that made me wonder what type of guy Rodgers really was.  The Jersey bet was just flat out Rodgers not "manning up" to the bet.  On the 2nd bet about the PEDs I believe he was being facetious, and was not serious about betting a years salary ... but, that being said the classy thing to do and what I think Manning, Brady, etc ... would have done is made a good faith gesture and offered to make a sizable donation to the guys charity of choice.  This would have allowed him to look like a good guy and really would not have cost him anything, because he would have just turned around and claimed the donation as a tax deduction. 

I think the Driver/Jennings statements are just further evidence that Rodgers is not quite the "classy, stand up guy" many fans and media make him out out to be. 

I don't know that he's made out to be a classy stand up guy by the fans and media. Maybe I just don't pay attention to that kind of stuff, but I would think I'd have noticed that. My impression of Rodgers is that he has a chip on his shoulder and won't rest until he proves everyone wrong, and that colors everything he says and does. He is engaging when he wants to be, but can also be standoffish. I only care about how good he plays quarterback, so long as he follows the rules and isn't in trouble with the law (and honestly, I don't really care about those last two things that much because he doesn't play for my team). He's a fantastic quarterback, and maybe the praise he gets for being so good makes it seem like he gets applauded for being a classy guy.

Or, like I said, maybe I just missed all that. It's very possible.

As for being willing to take more of the heat, I get that. I think Rodgers stands up and says things like "I could have played better, this is my team, it's my job to make sure we win," and so on. Even though he is pretty much always on his game, and even though his team's defense and running game hasn't been up to snuff lately. I can't recall Rodgers ever making a negative statement about the play of his teammates. Even in 2005, Manning got in some trouble for talking about "protection issues," and he was absolutely right, because our offensive line got their butts handed to them that day. But he got criticized for it, and people still bring it up from time to time. I don't remember Rodgers ever even going that far.

If Jennings doesn't run a good route or drops a catchable pass, I don't think Rodgers should say "yeah, Greg did what he was supposed to do, that was my bad, I have to throw it better." And I really don't think other quarterbacks do that. I don't think the quarterback should say "Greg ran the wrong route, he's supposed to go 10 yards and comeback, and he went 10 yards and drifted to the sideline, so he's got to run that better." But I don't think Rodgers has done that, either. If his receivers want him to stand up and take blame for their mistakes, I think they are out of place.

I just think that's kind of a flimsy reason for a receiver to take issue with his All Pro quarterback. Like I said, will Jennings be happy when his quarterback has no choice but to take the blame for throwing a bad pass, because it's obvious that he did? He'll have to deal with errant passes in Minnesota a lot more than he'll have to deal with what he perceived to be poor leadership in Green Bay.

I don't know that he's made out to be a classy stand up guy by the fans and media. Maybe I just don't pay attention to that kind of stuff, but I would think I'd have noticed that. My impression of Rodgers is that he has a chip on his shoulder and won't rest until he proves everyone wrong, and that colors everything he says and does. He is engaging when he wants to be, but can also be standoffish. I only care about how good he plays quarterback, so long as he follows the rules and isn't in trouble with the law (and honestly, I don't really care about those last two things that much because he doesn't play for my team). He's a fantastic quarterback, and maybe the praise he gets for being so good makes it seem like he gets applauded for being a classy guy.

Or, like I said, maybe I just missed all that. It's very possible.

As for being willing to take more of the heat, I get that. I think Rodgers stands up and says things like "I could have played better, this is my team, it's my job to make sure we win," and so on. Even though he is pretty much always on his game, and even though his team's defense and running game hasn't been up to snuff lately. I can't recall Rodgers ever making a negative statement about the play of his teammates. Even in 2005, Manning got in some trouble for talking about "protection issues," and he was absolutely right, because our offensive line got their butts handed to them that day. But he got criticized for it, and people still bring it up from time to time. I don't remember Rodgers ever even going that far.

If Jennings doesn't run a good route or drops a catchable pass, I don't think Rodgers should say "yeah, Greg did what he was supposed to do, that was my bad, I have to throw it better." And I really don't think other quarterbacks do that. I don't think the quarterback should say "Greg ran the wrong route, he's supposed to go 10 yards and comeback, and he went 10 yards and drifted to the sideline, so he's got to run that better." But I don't think Rodgers has done that, either. If his receivers want him to stand up and take blame for their mistakes, I think they are out of place.

I just think that's kind of a flimsy reason for a receiver to take issue with his All Pro quarterback. Like I said, will Jennings be happy when his quarterback has no choice but to take the blame for throwing a bad pass, because it's obvious that he did? He'll have to deal with errant passes in Minnesota a lot more than he'll have to deal with what he perceived to be poor leadership in Green Bay.

I think what is interesting with this whole thing is no one is backing Rodgers in this from his current team. Only Woodson, a former defensive player has supported him. Whatever is going, it would probably behoove Rodgers to fix it rather then say he is not going to change how he leads. Whatever happened with Jennings seemed rather personal and well beyond Rodgers just accepting blame for a wrong route.

I think what is interesting with this whole thing is no one is backing Rodgers in this from his current team. Only Woodson, a former defensive player has supported him. Whatever is going, it would probably behoove Rodgers to fix it rather then say he is not going to change how he leads. Whatever happened with Jennings seemed rather personal and well beyond Rodgers just accepting blame for a wrong route.

I don't really think it matters. All the politics is immaterial, I think. As long as Rodgers continues to play well and the Packers continue to go to the playoffs, I don't think he needs to do anything differently. JMO

Rodgers, Jennings, and Driver have all been upstanding, classy individuals.  So, not to pass judgment on Rodgers, but for Donald to back Jennings kind of makes think there is some merit in Jennings original accusation.  But as Superman pointed out, regardless of how Rodgers leads his teammates, it works and I'm sure he has the respect of his teammates.  I don't think they'd be as good as they are if the guys in the huddle didn't trust or respect Rodgers.  So the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

"It's a constant educational process to gather information about your teammates and try and find the best ways to inspire those guys and push those guys and get the most out of them." --Aaron Rogers

Rogers does have a point. You need to find out what makes your WRs, TE's, RBs, & offensive line tick. Humiliation or calling guys out on the field never works. There is a place for tough love sure, but most of your bonding & chemistry comes from eating out as a team, going to movies, figuring out what's on their ipods via music tracks, & doing charitable work together inside their local communities within the state.

Mostly, you are like an ambassador of good will in a foreign land...Keep the peace, stomp out any small fires [squabbles/disputes] before they spread, & remind everyone to keep their eye on the prize:  :lombardi:

That is mostly true, although most of my guy friends are Colts fans.

So, just for the sake of argument, associating regularly with Colts fans is like community service? Does it get you out of jury duty in Boston too? Like I already donated at the office kind of thing? Just messing with you man. No harm meant by it my friend. SW1 only comedically jabs the people he likes you know. You are in very select & exclusive company amfootball. :P  

So, just for the sake of argument, associating regularly with Colts fans is like community service? Does it get you out of jury duty in Boston too? Like I already donated at the office kind of thing? Just messing with you man. No harm meant by it my friend. SW1 only comedically jabs the people he likes you know. You are in very select & exclusive company amfootball. :P  

More like penance. ;)

Gregg Jennings would just be well advised to drop the Rogers rants & motivate his new QB Christian Ponder. That's a heavy enough lift right there. Anybody got a spare crane lying around? No? It figures...

This interview with Ponder doesn't instill me with a ton of confidence in his abilities as a field general myself...

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_23929803/christian-ponder-reflects-life-his-wife-and-big

"Q: The Vikings haven't had what most people would call a "franchise quarterback" in your lifetime. Is that a goal of yours, to turn into that for this team?

A: I want to reach my potential and be the best I can be. The goal is to play for a long time, win a lot of games and win a Super Bowl, and if that ultimately becomes what a franchise quarterback is -- and I think that's what people define it as -- that'd be great to become that." 

Yawn, "Be the Best I can be" really? Truncating or modifying an army slogan: "Be all you can be" doesn't exactly make your NFC North opponents tremble with fear now does it? Sigh...

Samantha Ponder, your wife, is attractive so I guess I can't slam all your decision making skills I guess. Just Kidding! 

ponder%20steele.jpeg