Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Going to my first Colts game

Slick_Rick

My brother-in-law (huge Texans fan) surprised me the other night with a ticket to go the November 3rd game in Houston. I was just curious as to any advice any of you (particularly Vance and Qwizboy) would give when going to an opponents home stadium. I just want to have fun, and enjoy the game.

Thanks in advance!

My first Colts game was a 9 hour drive to Indianapolis.... I saw the final regular season game in the RCA Dome in person... I'm sad because I think we gave the Titans a win, just because we were already in the playoffs and playing our 2nd squad... However, I remember a ST play for the ages... The entire stadium yelling "OOOOHHHHH!" Every time they replayed it on the big screen. I saw Reggie and Peyton for one series. That was enough for me to make the entire trip worthwhile. If you get the opportunity to go to a Houston home game vs. the Colts.... You dang well better be wearing a TY Hilton jersey, a Colts hat, Colt's socks, and carrying a legit horseshoe in your pocket. Otherwise, I'd be glad to usurp your tickets and do the aforementioned.

I went to a game in Houston a couple of years ago and was treated with a lot of good natured ribbing but nothing close to being serious. The Houston crowd is used to having their opposing teams fans there. It is a very nice venue that has a lot in common with our home stadium. No need to worry about the tailgating because you will find the people very nice. 

Get there early and try to take it all in.    You don't want to feel rushed.    Take your time and enjoy!    

Take lots of pictures for you to enjoy!

Be nice to everyone, especially if you're wearing Colts gear.   If someone is a jerk to you,  (let's say they're drunk...)   just laugh it off...   don't take the bait.   Make fun of yourself,  or of the Colts,  but do not engage with jerks.   It's a losing proposition.

Enjoy the game....   get into the game....    cheer for the Colts,  but be careful of what you say and how you say it.   You don't want  to get a Texans fan on your case and have them spoil your good time.

If all goes well and the Colts win,  do not be a jerk about it.   Win with class.   Represent well.   Understand Houston fans will be really, really upset.    They'll be more upset than you will be if the Colts lose.    So,  stay classy!

You can go nuts when you get back to your friends house, or the hotel where you're staying!

Have a great time,  and don't be afraid to share the pictures you take right here...!    :thmup:

Don't worry, Houston fans are not so bad.  They will give you some good natures ribbing.  The occasional drunk can be a pain.  The worst fans are Raven fans.  I have never been nervous about my safety until I went to a game in Baltimore.  They still hate us and it's been 30 years and they have now won two SB's.  They just wont let it go :dunno: 

My brother-in-law (huge Texans fan) surprised me the other night with a ticket to go the November 3rd game in Houston. I was just curious as to any advice any of you (particularly Vance and Qwizboy) would give when going to an opponents home stadium. I just want to have fun, and enjoy the game.

Thanks in advance!

I have yet to see my Colts play..

Hope you have a great time.

I remember back to the "Painter" year, I believe it was the 4th/5th game that season. I was sitting next to a guy in a Chiefs jersey at the KC game. Colts were actually in the game in the first half...the rest is just a sad history/memory. Anyway, this guy was pretty quiet, maybe because his young son was with him, but I remember saying to him "you may have won this battle, but we will soon have Luck"...and I shook his hand and left.

Do whatever you gotta do to survive.

Then come back here and tell us you stood your ground, proudly wearing Colts gear.

Same advice I gave Braveheart.

Though, we haven't heard from him since.  :(

Just......arg..........got back...cough........from hospital.

Wearing Colts gear will be fine. You'll get more grief if you wear a Schaub jersey.

Don't worry, Houston fans are not so bad.  They will give you some good natures ribbing.  The occasional drunk can be a pain.  The worst fans are Raven fans.  I have never been nervous about my safety until I went to a game in Baltimore.  They still hate us and it's been 30 years and they have now won two SB's.  They just wont let it go :dunno: 

So I guess the phrase what happens in Baltimore, stays in Baltimore. Would not be appropriate.

But they seem to forget they stole the browns

Thanks in advance!

You will be fine, support your Colts and have a great time @ the game. Especially since your brother in law is a Texans fan you have absolutely nothing to worry about. One of my best friends is a Colts fan living in Baltimore, that's gotta be a bit worse.

Yeah it's pretty bad when the NFL had to tell Baltimore they had to put the Colts on their scoreboard instead if INDY. Just think at the end of next season the Colts will be in Indy longer than they were in Baltimore. Baltimore seems to forget that the Colts were the Dallas Texans before moving to Baltimore and that is where the blue and white was started. That comment was made for those who say the Ravens took their own colors when starting. 

I love going to away games. The one thing I have noticed the last few years is the Colts fan base is growing. Nashville has a great Colts crowd as does Cincinnati. Both of those stadiums have great tailgating. The Bengals fans though can be obnoxious.

I know what you mean about the Bengals fans. It was me who had a problem I guess. I got so tired of hearing 'WhoDey" I wish I had a set of earplugs.

Thanks in advance!

Congrats! Have fun and if you get arrested, I would suggest you not tell the police they can't arrest you because you are a Colts fan.

Ok so just to add to this thread, I will be going to watch the Colts play SF at Candlestick on the 22nd! This will be my first game also!!!

Has anyone been there and can impart any wisdom on this poor innocent Aussie boy? :???: :colts:

Innocent Aussie? Never met one lol.

If you don't mind digging though the archives there was a thread about away venues.....several people talking about Candlestick.