Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will the Real Cherilus Please Show Up

atapcl

What is the matter with Gosder Cherilus? At BC he had a reputation of being an outstanding run blocker. AT Detroit he developed a reputation of a good pass blocker while his run blocking depreciated. In my opinion he has looked no better in the last 3 preseason games than Winston Justice did last year. If he does not improve we will need to use a TE and or a RB to help him. I would like him to show up with some skill set be it pass or run blocking. Has he been playing hurt?

What is the matter with Gosder Cherilus? At BC he had a reputation of being an outstanding run blocker. AT Detroit he developed a reputation of a good pass blocker while his run blocking depreciated. In my opinion he has looked no better in the last 3 preseason games than Winston Justice did last year. If he does not improve we will need to use a TE and or a RB to help him. I would like him to show up with some skill set be it pass or run blocking. Has he been playing hurt?

I think you're right about the comparison with Justice.  But Justice couldn't stay healthy.  If he would have shown that he could play every day, Justice may still be here.

He is better than Justice also when I saw the Browns game most of the pressure was from the left side without Castonzo and into the middle of the line

He got beat a couple times by Kruger.  Overall, it wasn't as bad as some are making out.  Plus, in a real game, we'd adjust for the speed rusher on that side.  Either with a TE chip or slipping the RB through that hole.  No game planning in the preseason.

The Browns game wasn't a great night for him but i think he was pretty good against the Bills and the Giants.

He got beat a couple times by Kruger.  Overall, it wasn't as bad as some are making out.  Plus, in a real game, we'd adjust for the speed rusher on that side.  Either with a TE chip or slipping the RB through that hole.  No game planning in the preseason.

I think it was bad to us because Cherilus basically 'whiffed' on Kruger and Luck took a pretty good hit.  One big hit is too much I think...but everybody gets beaten once in awhile.  Some (Synonymous with McGlynn) more than others :)

Someone said the left side....Reitz was solid at left tackle.  Who came in after him?  Sowell?

Tackles are gonna get beat sometimes. Look at how many years Freeney constantly abused the best tackles in the game. Thats why pass rushers make so much money because the elite ones are gonna get to the quarterback regardless. I dont think he looked as bad as everyone says he did, but im pretty sure he graded out well the first two games. I think if Thornton gets into the starting lineup soon (like week 2 at the latest) this oline will be pretty decent come mid season.

To me, the biggest suprise so far of all the players we brought in is Donald Thomas. He was the one guy i wasnt really sure about, but he has looked really good out there

Tackles are gonna get beat sometimes. Look at how many years Freeney constantly abused the best tackles in the game. Thats why pass rushers make so much money because the elite ones are gonna get to the quarterback regardless. I dont think he looked as bad as everyone says he did, but im pretty sure he graded out well the first two games. I think if Thornton gets into the starting lineup soon (like week 2 at the latest) this oline will be pretty decent come mid season.

To me, the biggest suprise so far of all the players we brought in is Donald Thomas. He was the one guy i wasnt really sure about, but he has looked really good out there

I totally agree MakeItWayne.  Thomas has been my biggest surprise as well.

While I admit I have not see every snap he has been in, I have NEVER (Not yet anyways) seen his man put him to the ground.  His footwork is exceptional.  He has 'planted' a couple of DL and LBs.  If we get the mauler known as Thornton up to speed, the running game will become more of a factor...and the passing game will increase in proportion making for a POTENT offense.  That is not to say it is not potent regardless!!!   :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :pass:  :pass:  :pass: !!!

I think it was bad to us because Cherilus basically 'whiffed' on Kruger and Luck took a pretty good hit.  One big hit is too much I think...but everybody gets beaten once in awhile.  Some (Synonymous with McGlynn) more than others :)

Someone said the left side....Reitz was solid at left tackle.  Who came in after him?  Sowell?

No doubt, Cherilus had a bad game, but his history shows he's a pretty good pass blocker.  Krueger is no slouch, he got better and better as the season went on last year.  As MakeItWayne just said, I remember Freeney making a Raven's HoF LT look like he belonged in the arena league a few years ago.

I can't remember who came in first, but I do remember seeing a lot of Ijalana in the second half.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

No doubt, Cherilus had a bad game, but his history shows he's a pretty good pass blocker.  Krueger is no slouch, he got better and better as the season went on last year.  As MakeItWayne just said, I remember Freeney making a Raven's HoF LT look like he belonged in the arena league a few years ago.

I can't remember who came in first, but I do remember seeing a lot of Ijalana in the second half.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Totally agree....we tend to notice whiffs.  :)  So does the QB......OUCH!  

I also think Cherilus had done well up until the Browns, and he will be just fine.

I totally agree MakeItWayne.  Thomas has been my biggest surprise as well.

While I admit I have not see every snap he has been in, I have NEVER (Not yet anyways) seen his man put him to the ground.  His footwork is exceptional.  He has 'planted' a couple of DL and LBs.  If we get the mauler known as Thornton up to speed, the running game will become more of a factor...and the passing game will increase in proportion making for a POTENT offense.  That is not to say it is not potent regardless!!!   :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :pass:  :pass:  :pass: !!!

I was very skeptical about him because he was pretty much a career backup. I was afraid that the rest of the Pats olinemen might have made him look better than he actually was. So far ive been wrong and he looks like our best olineman right now, not just our best guard. Hope he can keep it up

I did not think Reitz was all that good and will be glad when Costanzo comes back. Reitz was not expected to do as well as Cherilus. Cherilus was beaten several times. Once Brown chipped his man to help. A couple of times Thornton helped him. Luck ran a lot but he had to.

Of course he looked as bad as posted.

He looked Mediocre against an Excellent player. He is a solid player not a great one and he is ours.

Good health to you Gos.

You will perform best with a good player beside you. Many times that will be Allen :thmsup: and hopefully soon, young Mr. Thornton.

I did not think Reitz was all that good and will be glad when Costanzo comes back. Reitz was not expected to do as well as Cherilus. Cherilus was beaten several times. Once Brown chipped his man to help. A couple of times Thornton helped him. Luck ran a lot but he had to.

Ya, Castonzo was so good his 3 plays. Good grief!!

Reitz showed he is Already as good or better than AC as a pass blocker. The NFL is a passing League.

Yes i would believe that Castonzo may be a top 10 run blocker.

Me as well...for a backup...he was better than anyone we have on the left.  He now makes the team due to his ability to hold his own, and play guard as well.  This is a good thing.  Him gaining I believe 22 pounds with his very good athleticism is going to keep him in the league for awhile.

BTW....love Thornton...gonna be a mauler.

Cherilus is an upgrade over Justice, which is what we were going for.......He is not a pro bowl talent at this point in his career, he will quit on some plays, He is slow footed but he is upgrade.......Not a huge upgrade but still an upgrade

Reitz showed he is Already as good or better than AC as a pass blocker. The NFL is a passing League.

Reitz had very good footwork in pass protection...you are spot on...he is a solid pass protector.  His playing basketball really helps him in terms of getting those hips where they need to be (Setting picks, blocking out, taking charges) to extend those long arms. :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:

Yes three plays only because Cherilus and his man rolled his leg. Costonzo has shown to be the best pass blocker we have. Reitz to me seems no better than Ijalana or Link at tackle. Reitz looks like a G trying to play T.

Yes three plays only because Cherilus and his man rolled his leg. Costonzo has shown to be the best pass blocker we have. Reitz to me seems no better than Ijalana or Link at tackle. Reitz looks like a G trying to play T.

Reitz is a guard learning left tackle. He is already better than Link at Left tackle.  Link is more comfortable at Right tackle, and plays much better at the guard positions...especially left.  Poor Big Ben looks to be the odd man out....although I hope not.

I love AC.  I honestly think in this offense with more 3/5 step drops for Luck, Castonzo could see his first Pro Bowl. :coltsfb:  :coltsfb:  :coltsfb: !!!!

Cherilus is an upgrade over Justice, which is what we were going for.......He is not a pro bowl talent at this point in his career, he will quit on some plays, He is slow footed but he is upgrade.......Not a huge upgrade but still an upgrade

They say its a crime not to give your QB a good line.

Griggs got a real shot to work on it this off season and did very good. IMO

He will have it Fixed & Solid for 2014. We are getting there and it is exciting.

They say its a crime not to give your QB a good line.

Griggs got a real shot to work on it this off season and did very good. IMO

He will have it Fixed & Solid for 2014. We are getting there and it is exciting.

The raw talent is there going forward in terms of what our projected O Line will likely look like in a year or 2 (provided our current O Line draftees stay healthy). Going forward we SHOULD just have to deal with getting better depth at O Line......But all that is a year away at least, Its a never ending process. As of ths year just put Thornton in next to Satele and were already better, I dont expect were going to cut our sack total in half but it will be better, we have to be able to run the ball as the situation calls for it as well and Luck needs to continue to get the ball out quick, The roll outs he is doing to I love

LT-Castonzo

LG-Thomas

C-Holmes

RG-Thornton

RT-Cherilus

Bingo. He is an upgrade but not huge. He averages giving up 6.2 sacks per season according to Pro Football Weekly. This is not terribly bad but not great either. He is fairly average to slightly above average. In contrast, one of the best pass blockers in the NFL, Dave Stewart of the Titans, gives up 3 sacks per season, but that's outstanding. On the other hand, Castonzo is one of lesser pass blockers giving up 9 sacks per season for his 2 seasons. Btw, Jake Long gives up 5.3 sacks per season.

Bingo. He is an upgrade but not huge. He averages giving up 6.2 sacks per season according to Pro Football Weekly. This is not terribly bad but not great either. He is fairly average to slightly above average. In contrast, one of the best pass blockers in the NFL, Dave Stewart of the Titans, gives up 3 sacks per season, but that's outstanding. On the other hand, Castonzo is one of lesser pass blockers giving up 9 sacks per season for his 2 seasons. Btw, Jake Long gives up 5.3 sacks per season.

When PFW posts those sacks given up I wish they would post the game and what quarter and play

The Titans threw the ball 540 times in 2012. The Lions threw it 740 times in 2012. Sack/attempts is a better way to figure it than sacks per season. Detroit is also a more vertical team and runs much less than Tennessee. Detroit actually had the best rated pass protecting O-Line by Football Outsiders last year:  http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/OL

If these contextual facors are taken into consideration, GC's sack numbers aren't that much different than Stewart's.

The raw talent is there going forward in terms of what our projected O Line will likely look like in a year or 2 (provided our current O Line draftees stay healthy). Going forward we SHOULD just have to deal with getting better depth at O Line......But all that is a year away at least, Its a never ending process. As of ths year just put Thornton in next to Satele and were already better, I dont expect were going to cut our sack total in half but it will be better, we have to be able to run the ball as the situation calls for it as well and Luck needs to continue to get the ball out quick, The roll outs he is doing to I love

LT-Castonzo

LG-Thomas

C-Holmes

RG-Thornton

RT-Cherilus

Since Castonzo is injured, I believe Ijalana should start at LT. If youve watched him in preseason, he makes it look easy. e deserves the chance and the challenge. If you want Luck to stay upright, hes the guy to play.

Since Castonzo is injured, I believe Ijalana should start at LT. If youve watched him in preseason, he makes it look easy. e deserves the chance and the challenge. If you want Luck to stay upright, hes the guy to play.

Glad to have a good topic for my 1000th post. Ijalana may be the best athlete but the coaches seem to like Link and Reitz moore. That leaves Ijalana as the odd man out unless the team keeps 10 OL. I think we keep 9 and put 1 or 2 on PS.

Glad to have a good topic for my 1000th post. Ijalana may be the best athlete but the coaches seem to like Link and Reitz moore. That leaves Ijalana as the odd man out unless the team keeps 10 OL. I think we keep 9 and put 1 or 2 on PS.

Yea and that will bite them on their behinds if they dont see whats what. Link and Reitz are not solid at all. They seem to be high on McGlynn too...that guy continued to start eventhough they drafted Thornton. I hope they aren't stubborn and make the right move here...

All in all, the line has done pretty well with keeping Luck upright and moving the ball down the field. Well except for McGlynn but he is more suited as a back-up anyway.

As long as Cherilus keeps Luck upright, WHEN THE GAMES ACTUALLY MATTER, then I am not going to read anything into this preseason performance.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, August 30, 2013 - personal shot
Hidden by Nadine, August 30, 2013 - personal shot

Yea and that will bite them on their behinds if they dont see whats what. Link and Reitz are not solid at all. They seem to be high on McGlynn too...that guy continued to start eventhough they drafted Thornton. I hope they aren't stubborn and make the right move here...

As if you had a clue.

Am I the only one who thought Reitz did a good job against the Browns?